PDA

View Full Version : frat boy morons arrested for hazing

Mike70
19-May-2006, 07:31 PM
Frat Boys Arrested in Sickening Hazing
Three Alpha Chi Rho fraternity brothers from Hartwick College in Oneonata, N.Y., have been arrested and charged with first-degree hazing for forcing a pledge to do sit-ups and push-ups in broken glass and urine-soaked garbage, reports The New York Post.

Peter Torabkhan, 21; Michael Scandiffio, 21; and Steve Collum, 21, were charged about three weeks after the April 19 hazing incident when the pledge and his mother went to police. The pledge suffered cuts on his arms and hands. He also complained that the fraternity brothers forced him to carry rocks that were covered in feces for two miles, but police said this was not a violation and was considered to be a "normal" pledging practice, investigator T.R. Ward told the Post.

Two of the men who were charged spent one night in jail before posting $2,500 bail; the other was released without bail. A fourth man, Yury Pertsovsky, 19, who does not even attend the college, was charged with aggravated harassment for making a threatening phone call to the victim after he complained. The three Hartwick College students have been suspended from school pending a formal investigation. In addition, Alpha Chi Rho's Hartwick chapter has been suspended and its members are not allowed to hold functions.

Public and private universities have a dirty little secret they don't want to share with parents and prospective students.

This is the third hazing incident at Hartwick this semester. Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity was suspended in March after two students were hospitalized for alcohol poisoning, while rookie lacrosse players were hazed in February at an off-campus party where they were forced to strip and drink a keg of beer.

stuff like this is a perfect reason why the entire greek system ought to be demolished. having both attended university (for longer than i care to admit) and taught at one i can say with 100% certainty that frats and sororities are about the most ridiculous, petty, and worthless things associated with university life. they serve only to further high school ideas of "cliques" and who is "cool" and other such trite crap.

bassman
19-May-2006, 07:59 PM
It's not the fraternity brothers that are the morons, it's the pledges for wanting to join. That crap is ridiculous. It's like grown men having a "club".:rolleyes:

Besides, fraternity guys are usually the dumb-ass jock kids that think they are so cool and perfect but eventually fail, go back home to live with mommy and daddy, and get a job at the local Jiffy Lube for the remainder of their meaningless lives.

Mike70
19-May-2006, 08:02 PM
preach on bassman. i loved that bit about jiffy lube.

i agree with you - if no one wanted to join these inane organizations they wouldn't exist.

someone asked me when i was a freshman if i wanted to pledge to so and so frat. my response was, "why in the hell would i want to do that?"

bassman
19-May-2006, 08:15 PM
Haha...something similar happened to me.

I never went to college because I decided to take over the family businesses, but I have a few friends that go to this college only a town away from here and I always go with them to parties.

One party I was doing the normal meet and greet thing when I introduced myself to these two guys. We did the normal, drunk chit-chat for a minute and then I asked, "So you guys to to this school?" One of them resonded in a real stuck-up tone, "Uhhhh, yeah.....we're only members of (insert frat here), the best house in town." "Sounds....nice", I responded. Then the guy literally said, "It is nice....We're the best house in town. No one is better than us!!!" and gave his buddy a five.

I'm a real mellow and peaceful guy so I just decided to smirk, give him one of these faces: :rockbrow: , and then say "I hope that works out for ya" and walked away.

Strangely enough, later that night we were going home and we passed those two guys on the side of the road, one of them handcuffed and the other taking a breath-alizer test.:lol:

Karma can be a bitch. Just as my pop used to tell me: "What goes around, comes around".

MinionZombie
19-May-2006, 11:31 PM
Or as another great philosopher once said - "do good things and good things happen" :cool:

I don't get this frat thing in America, living on campus in a huge house - we had res, which was awesome and there was no official sh*t, our 'fire officer' set our kitchen on fire, the res councillor spent his time shagging his way around the new girls ... which was kinda grubby as he was like Van Wilder ... without the class or style.

I lived for three years with 3 guys (first year there was 10 of us in a res on campus, those 3 guys were from that res, we were friends with the girls who lived in their own house), so we became a sort of 'clic' of our own I guess. Had our own phrases and in jokes that nobody got, some were downright offensive if you weren't clued up. But we all agreed our house was friggin' awesome, but all of us from that res will all testify to the awesomeness of NELSON SIX, (Nelson Court, University of East Anglia) - we were the best year ever, we beat the sh*t out of the front-row competition at Xmas for decs, we were a massive fire hazzard, but we won with style ... or rather tack ... but damn we were proud.

Nelson Six forever *thumps chest, peace out with the fingers* ... one love, or something like that...

DeadJonas190
20-May-2006, 02:51 AM
I got asked to join a frat while attending a Community College and laughed my ass off all the way to my car.

ipotts85
20-May-2006, 03:46 AM
i live with my girlfriend a few miles from school...i've never been the kind of person with a group mentality...i think the idea of frats just reflects that mentality...think for yourself people! you don't need a group to derive a sense of self identity.

EvilNed
20-May-2006, 10:36 AM
What's hazing?

Cykotic
20-May-2006, 10:47 AM
Ritualistic Humiliation or beating in order to join a group or society...