PDA

View Full Version : games/movie adaptations

SymphonicX
30-Jul-2009, 08:45 AM
What do you think has a higher and more successful ratio - games that are made into movies, or movies that are made into games...? Looking at games based on movies, they usually suck - but that's what everyone says about movies based on games...so which would you do if someone gave you a couple of million - and which ones?!

Tricky
30-Jul-2009, 10:58 AM
I dont think either translates very well into each other,although games that have come from movies tend to fare a bit better than movies from games for example the star wars games that have always met decent success.
The problem when a movie is made from a game is that it attracts dogpants straight to DVD directors & Z list actors/actresses, then they have to write an almost completely new plot because turning 12 hours plus of interactive gameplay into something you can sit & watch for an hour & a half needs to have constant dialogue & story to keep it rolling & they usually fail there because they come up with some completely ridiculous idea that barely ties in with the games original story. They also have to make it appeal to adolescents because they are the ones most likely to have played the game & get excited about a movie version, so its usually dumbed down to suit them with wisecracks & impossible action sequences!
Then the worst part, they try to make the characters in the movie look just like the ones in the game, which completely falls flat on its face because game characters,even the "serious" ones, are by & large always dressed in ridiculous outfits i.e. lots of lycra & PVC or big shoulder pads,huge chunky boots,camp or butch military/police gear or stupid looking body armour that no real person could walk in, which we can almost accept in a game, but looks god awful when we see it on a real person in a movie :clown:

bassman
30-Jul-2009, 12:41 PM
It's harder for me to think of good game-to-movie titles than the other way around, so I'm going with games based on movies.

Especially if they're games based on older movies and they get the time and attention that they deserve. Like Ghostbusters!:p

Too bad most games released at the same time as the film gargle my balls...

Danny
30-Jul-2009, 01:09 PM
obviously the one you pay 10 bucks for and not 60, simple as that. Outside of the core fandom of a movie or a game theres gonna be a massive "this is relevant to my interests" crowd who will rather pay the price of a movie and risk disliking it than paying the full price for a game and risking buying a piece of shit.

bassman
30-Jul-2009, 01:15 PM
obviously the one you pay 10 bucks for and not 60, simple as that. Outside of the core fandom of a movie or a game theres gonna be a massive "this is relevant to my interests" crowd who will rather pay the price of a movie and risk disliking it than paying the full price for a game and risking buying a piece of shit.

But with most people renting these days, wouldn't that actually make the games cheaper than the films? Well....until the films are released on DVD, anyway...