PDA

View Full Version : Organic food is no healthier, study finds

darth los
30-Jul-2009, 03:41 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32205139/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

Oh well, there goes that fad.....

off to the next trend that will milk billions from the public at large only to be debunked a few years later.

:cool:

Danny
30-Jul-2009, 03:44 PM
people thought it was?

organics just the way its produced, like freerange isnt it?, excuse me if im having a tard moment but id never heard of it being sold as a healthier option but as a more morally upstanding way to buy your food.

like veganism for lazy people.

AcesandEights
30-Jul-2009, 04:00 PM
people thought it was?

The thinking among a lot of people is that foods that are produced within the legal guidlines for organic foods will also be healthier, as they will have less chemicals/pesticides and the additional issues related to the heavy processing of packaged, mass-produced foods will not be as present in them.

darth los
30-Jul-2009, 04:36 PM
The thinking among a lot of people is that foods that are produced within the legal guidlines for organic foods will also be healthier, as they will have less chemicals/pesticides and the additional issues related to the heavy processing of packaged, mass-produced foods will not be as present in them.

Well, isn't that the case?

Isn't it logical that Something produced without all the chemicals and preservatives that are normally put into what we ingest would be healthier?

ProfessorChaos
30-Jul-2009, 04:40 PM
i once worked at a large grocery store with two aisles totally full of that overpriced organic shit. and all the people who shopped in those two aisles were just as smug, pretentious, and high on the smell of their own farts as all the hybrid car drivers from that one episode of south park a few seasons ago.

darth los
30-Jul-2009, 04:43 PM
i once worked at a large grocery store with two aisles totally full of that overpriced organic shit. and all the people who shopped in those two aisles were just as smug, pretentious, and high on the smell of their own farts as all the hybrid car drivers from that one episode of south park a few seasons ago.

Those are the people that Sarah Palin is always going on about. :lol:

Skippy911sc
30-Jul-2009, 07:13 PM
This di-information is just what the republicans want us to believe...

Keep eating that soyant green...don't ask what it is or if it will harm you!!!

;)

After reading the article, it look like the conclusion were derived from other papers results. I think long term might be a little different...that being said, it could be included with the eggs are good for you/eggs are bad for you debate. Only time will tell.

darth los
30-Jul-2009, 07:19 PM
After reading the article, it look like the conclusion were derived from other papers results. I think long term might be a little different...that being said, it could be included with the eggs are good for you/eggs are bad for you debate. Only time will tell.

Yeah, after a lifetime of eating one way if your heart explodes then I guess that's one way to tell if what you were doing was the right thing.

It would just be nice to know a little before that is all I'm sayin'! :p

blind2d
31-Jul-2009, 12:55 AM
I thought it was "soylent", skippy.

Skippy911sc
31-Jul-2009, 12:59 AM
I thought it was "soylent", skippy.

So quick to judge me... a lesser man could be hurt by such corrections. Now excuse me while I go cry into my beer!

:D

bassman
31-Jul-2009, 12:05 PM
HA! I knew it!

Now my wife's friends that are always talking about organic food and how healthy it is can kiss my ass! One of them lived with us for awhile and ate this Kashi food shit.....blah. Tastes like cardboard.:barf:

darth los
31-Jul-2009, 12:59 PM
HA! I knew it!

Now my wife's friends that are always talking about organic food and how healthy it is can kiss my ass! One of them lived with us for awhile and ate this Kashi food shit.....blah. Tastes like cardboard.:barf:

And I bet it made her farts stink to boot! :lol:

Yojimbo
31-Jul-2009, 06:38 PM
Just like bottled water being viewed as a healthier alternative to municipal tap water. There are a lot of folks that buy into this crap without thinking about it, and continue to do so even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

I once dated a hardcore "vegan" but it was obivious to me that our differences in opinion were irreconcilable when she insisted that humans were not meant to eat meat. She also insisted that organic produce was not only more nurtitious and healthful but morally superior to non-organic produce (???). Likewise, she felt that eating meat, and commercial farming was immoral. We really had our last date when I pointed out to here that the majority of the producers of organic produce were, in fact, large commercial conglomerates, and that organic farms do not produce the same amount of food (hence the higher price to make up for the loss in potential revenue) which I felt was decidenly immoral in a world where people die from starvation every day, and that humans are omnivourous and therefore are meant to eat meat in addition to non meat edibles. I think I ordered a rare ribeye steak that evening much to her horror and enjoyed it tremendously in front of her which made her even more angry. I would like to say that I refused to sleep with her too, but it would be a lie since she despised me so much at that point that getting lucky that evening was simply not an option. :lol::lol::lol:

MaximusIncredulous
31-Jul-2009, 08:27 PM
Great way to make money from snotty yuppie suckers when someone uses trigger words like "organic" and "gourmet" on their crap. We've even got "organic" dry cleaners :rolleyes:

ProfessorChaos
31-Jul-2009, 08:50 PM
yeah, at that store i worked at, they had "organic laundry soap", which cost about twice as much as normal stuff, only in a much smaller bottle, so actually, it was almost 4x the price...and stupid shits buy this stuff to feel good about themselves.

Yojimbo
31-Jul-2009, 09:02 PM
yeah, at that store i worked at, they had "organic laundry soap", which cost about twice as much as normal stuff, only in a much smaller bottle, so actually, it was almost 4x the price...and stupid shits buy this stuff to feel good about themselves.
WTF is "organic laundry soap"? Dehyrated cat urine?

Here in Los Angeles we have "waterias" which is spanglish for "water market" which are meant for that niche market of folks who grew up over the border in Mexico where the municipal tap water is not potable so folks get their purified water from vendors like this. Of course, here in Los Angeles, our municipal water is potable and is tested and retested so that it meets stringent safety guidelines (unlike the water sold in bottles which are not held to any guideline.) I pointed out to a "green" obsessed friend who liked to purchase water at the "wateria" that in fact the water purchased at those shops here in Los Angeles is actually municipal tap water filtered to remove the chlorine (which, BTW, is put there for the safety of the consumer) and that bottled water, with some execeptions, is also the same. The friend insisted that the water from bottles and the "waterias" is more healthful all the same.

Now I can grasp wanting to remove chlorine at the last minute before drinking water, though it is harmless, but what I don't understand is the ignorance behind the idea that a particular product is safer just because it is more costly or says that it is safer on the label.

People are just too stupid for their own good.

slickwilly13
03-Aug-2009, 03:03 AM
I am watching Penn and Teller: Bullshit. The subject is organic food. They will set me straight. *S*

krakenslayer
07-Aug-2009, 10:19 PM
Just like bottled water being viewed as a healthier alternative to municipal tap water. There are a lot of folks that buy into this crap without thinking about it, and continue to do so even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

I once dated a hardcore "vegan" but it was obivious to me that our differences in opinion were irreconcilable when she insisted that humans were not meant to eat meat. She also insisted that organic produce was not only more nurtitious and healthful but morally superior to non-organic produce (???). Likewise, she felt that eating meat, and commercial farming was immoral. We really had our last date when I pointed out to here that the majority of the producers of organic produce were, in fact, large commercial conglomerates, and that organic farms do not produce the same amount of food (hence the higher price to make up for the loss in potential revenue) which I felt was decidenly immoral in a world where people die from starvation every day, and that humans are omnivourous and therefore are meant to eat meat in addition to non meat edibles. I think I ordered a rare ribeye steak that evening much to her horror and enjoyed it tremendously in front of her which made her even more angry. I would like to say that I refused to sleep with her too, but it would be a lie since she despised me so much at that point that getting lucky that evening was simply not an option. :lol::lol::lol:

Playing devil's advocate here, but in defence of your date: it takes many, many, many times the amount of food (beans, grains, etc.) to raise a cow than is produced by slaughtering it. I'm not saying we should all go veggie but, based on your (perfectly agreeable) logic, if we did eat less meat in the western world, we could feed a lot more mouths. In a lot of ways, meat is the ultimate luxury consumer product, when you consider the huge amount of meat produced, almost none of it is consumed in countries where there is high poverty is a problem - in these countries almost everyone is virtually vegetarian by necessity. Also the fact that a lot of good crop-growing land (and rainforest) is being taken over to supply the meat industry in parts of south America, it kind of brings it home.

I'm not a veggie by the way, but the economics and environmental factors of the meat industry are something I've read up on a lot.

EvilNed
07-Aug-2009, 11:07 PM
While I like to practice a bit of moderation in pretty much everything I do, I slap myself silly for not being able to eat less meat. I just like it too much. :(

DeadJonas190
09-Aug-2009, 05:16 AM
WTF is "organic laundry soap"? Dehyrated cat urine?

Here in Los Angeles we have "waterias" which is spanglish for "water market" which are meant for that niche market of folks who grew up over the border in Mexico where the municipal tap water is not potable so folks get their purified water from vendors like this. Of course, here in Los Angeles, our municipal water is potable and is tested and retested so that it meets stringent safety guidelines (unlike the water sold in bottles which are not held to any guideline.) I pointed out to a "green" obsessed friend who liked to purchase water at the "wateria" that in fact the water purchased at those shops here in Los Angeles is actually municipal tap water filtered to remove the chlorine (which, BTW, is put there for the safety of the consumer) and that bottled water, with some execeptions, is also the same. The friend insisted that the water from bottles and the "waterias" is more healthful all the same.

Now I can grasp wanting to remove chlorine at the last minute before drinking water, though it is harmless, but what I don't understand is the ignorance behind the idea that a particular product is safer just because it is more costly or says that it is safer on the label.

People are just too stupid for their own good.

And that is why I use my Brita water filter. It's like $10 every 3 months for a new filter and I get so many gallons of delicious water from it. I do notice a taste difference between the tap water and the filtered water, but I do live in an old house so it's definitely the pipes that makes the difference. I honestly see no point in buying bottled water when I can make it at home for much cheaper, but every once in a while I'll grab one when I'm out.

As far as buying organic... that's why I have a garden out back. Grow your own veggies and save a ton.

EvilNed
09-Aug-2009, 12:45 PM
Just so you guys know, Bottled Water is made from "Water from a Municipal Source". Translated: Tap water.

blind2d
10-Aug-2009, 01:47 AM
Yep. Therefore it's no cleaner or tastier than water from your kitchen sink. Why buy plastic in a funny shape? Convenience. People are some of the laziest things... no, THE laziest things around. I blame McDonald's.

DubiousComforts
10-Aug-2009, 02:54 AM
Just so you guys know, Bottled Water is made from "Water from a Municipal Source". Translated: Tap water.
Right, which is why you buy distilled water. Of course, then you'll have to listen to some other genius claiming that drinking "distilled water can kill you." (Yes, that is a real claim.)

Btw, last time I checked, chlorine was a poison, and there was plenty of documentation showing the ill-health effects of drinking chlorinated water including greatly increased chance of bladder, rectal and colon cancers. One that indulges in the typical American diet needs no help in this area.

Explain to me again why just because one group of dummies jumps on the pretty-labeled bottle water bandwagon that it then becomes A-OK to stop thinking for oneself and maintain the equally-ridiculous status quo?