PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 3, PSP See Significant Hardware And Software Sales Drops

darth los
31-Jul-2009, 03:01 PM
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/697888/PlayStation-3-PSP-See-Significant-Hardware-And-Software-Sales-Drops.html

Or......it could just be that sony sucks and people aren't going to pay for something when they can get a far superior product with the 360.

:cool:

Danny
31-Jul-2009, 03:15 PM
considering my 360 is going through what could only be described as computer alzheimers right now but my ps3's working like a charm i doubt very much its inferior hardware, i just think theyve gambled with the wrong crowd and lost, sure ill be buying valkyria chronicles 2 the day it comes out, but im in a very small minority of ps3 owners that still goes to playstation for jrpg's and stuff like i did with my ps2.
Honestly they should spend money on a new marketing campaign to appeal to everyone like the 360 does, and maybe redo the interface like the nxe since the current ones pretty lame. Not on this stupid psp go, thats a bigger money whole than the ps3 has been any day.

darth los
31-Jul-2009, 03:39 PM
considering my 360 is going through what could only be described as computer alzheimers right now but my ps3's working like a charm i doubt very much its inferior hardware, i just think theyve gambled with the wrong crowd and lost, sure ill be buying valkyria chronicles 2 the day it comes out, but im in a very small minority of ps3 owners that still goes to playstation for jrpg's and stuff like i did with my ps2.
Honestly they should spend money on a new marketing campaign to appeal to everyone like the 360 does, and maybe redo the interface like the nxe since the current ones pretty lame. Not on this stupid psp go, thats a bigger money whole than the ps3 has been any day.

I didn't mean to imply that the hardware was inferior because we all know the specs on it are through the roof and that it's a more powerful machine than the 360.

With that said specs do not a good console make. They came out of the gate with that ridiculous price and it all went downhill from there.

You know, I was one of the critics of MS when they obviously rushed a console to market that wasn't ready. But that year head start they got on sony is paying off in spades. Even when you consider the RROD fiasco they still look pretty damn smart.

Imo, the x box experience is just a better one over all from power up to shut down.

bassman
31-Jul-2009, 04:43 PM
Imo, the x box experience is just a better one over all from power up to shut down.

Agreed. The 360 is more friendly and inviting. The PS3 is like those aunts and uncles that you have to put up with and act nice to even though you don't like them.:p

My PS3 is still a good Blu Ray player, though.:)

krakenslayer
31-Jul-2009, 04:45 PM
It's a shame that the PS3 is dragging the PSP down with it. I owned one, and although it's broken now (my own clumsy fault, not the console's), I can safely say it was the best handheld console I have ever seen. I fucking loved my PSP.

darth los
31-Jul-2009, 05:04 PM
Agreed. The 360 is more friendly and inviting. The PS3 is like those aunts and uncles that you have to put up with and act nice to even though you don't like them.:p

I'd rather deal with the aunts and uncles. Atleast I don't have to pay 400 dollars apop to see them.

But yeah, I'm more than satisfied with the blu ray player and even though I never game on it because of the blu ray I don't regret the purchase one bit.

Se? Sony CAN do something right. ;)

It's a shame that the PS3 is dragging the PSP down with it. I owned one, and although it's broken now (my own clumsy fault, not the console's), I can safely say it was the best handheld console I have ever seen. I fucking loved my PSP.

I second that. But when you have bad management it drags the whole organization now.

Everyone's entitled to their own tastes but I just can't figure why anyone would choose a ds before (awaiting flames) a psp.

CoinReturn
31-Jul-2009, 07:58 PM
Everyone's entitled to their own tastes but I just can't figure why anyone would choose a ds before (awaiting flames) a psp.

No contest, I'd much rather have a DS over a PSP. The RPG selection alone makes it more enticing. Two Shin Megami Tensei games, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IX, Suikoden, The World Ends With You - just to name a few. Also, I thought GTA Chinatown Wars was better than the two GTA rehashes released on PSP.

It's like the Wii and DS are polar opposites as far as good software goes. Nintendo needs to get their shit together.

MinionZombie
01-Aug-2009, 10:20 AM

But massively inefficient. Get a real BR player and you'll save a shedload of electricity - seriously, the thing sucks up juice like a Brit does booze.

The 360's only real failing is the reliability of the actual hardware ... and 50 quid a year for XBL is a bit much too (but I don't pay for that), and the price of the HDDs is a piss take when you think about how much far bigger sized external HDDs for PC cost ... anyway, the real main issue with the 360 is reliability and build quality - something that the next Xbox won't have at all, I would imagine ... I would hope.

The PS3 just doesn't have the range of games, the ease of use (for gamers, and developers), the market power, the endorsements, the exclusives etc etc etc ... plus it's bloody expensive, and people in the end of the day, just want a console to play games on. They don't want it to do this, that and the next thing ... ... maybe suck them off, but that's it ... videogames, and sexual services ... nothing else.

Hey - there's an idea - make your console capable of sexing up the user, and you'll have a guaranteed super-duper-mega-hit on your hands. :D

krakenslayer
01-Aug-2009, 11:11 AM
No contest, I'd much rather have a DS over a PSP. The RPG selection alone makes it more enticing. Two Shin Megami Tensei games, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IX, Suikoden, The World Ends With You - just to name a few. Also, I thought GTA Chinatown Wars was better than the two GTA rehashes released on PSP.

It's like the Wii and DS are polar opposites as far as good software goes. Nintendo needs to get their shit together.

It all depends upon your expectations I suppose - when I buy a portable console I wasn't just that: a portable version of a full-sized gaming console, and the PSP does that, it's basically a console almost roughly equivalent to the PS2, shrunk down with a battery pack and LCD screen. The DS is okay, but the hardware is basically equivalent to a souped-up Gameboy Advance, less powerful than a PSone, with only limited 3D capabilities. Sure it has some great, addictive games, but I want my handhelds to be graphically immersive too, I want to lose myself in another world on the train or bus or car, not just watch cute well-rendered sprites chasing each other around a candybox-coloured background.

And the PSP has some amazing games too. Here's just the ones I owned and loved:

Monster Hunter Freedom
The Warriors
Resistance: Retribution
Burnout Legends
Star Wars: Battlefront Rogue Squadron
From Russia With Love
That Final Fantasy game, I forget the title
GTA: Vice City Stories (not played the DS one though)

And probably shitloads more great games but they were the only ones I owned.

darth los
01-Aug-2009, 04:20 PM

It all depends on what games you're into.

I couldn't care less about rpg's ( i love oblivion though, which by the way could never be pulled off on the DS. They'd have to whip up a whole new game for it) So that wouldn't be a big selling point for me.

Not knocking it though.

It all depends upon your expectations I suppose - when I buy a portable console I wasn't just that: a portable version of a full-sized gaming console, and the PSP does that, it's basically a console almost roughly equivalent to the PS2, shrunk down with a battery pack and LCD screen. The DS is okay, but the hardware is basically equivalent to a souped-up Gameboy Advance, less powerful than a PSone, with only limited 3D capabilities. Sure it has some great, addictive games, but I want my handhelds to be graphically immersive too, I want to lose myself in another world on the train or bus or car, not just watch cute well-rendered sprites chasing each other around a candybox-coloured background.

And the PSP has some amazing games too. Here's just the ones I owned and loved:

Monster Hunter Freedom
The Warriors
Resistance: Retribution
Burnout Legends
Star Wars: Battlefront Rogue Squadron
From Russia With Love
That Final Fantasy game, I forget the title
GTA: Vice City Stories (not played the DS one though)

And probably shitloads more great games but they were the only ones I owned.

Dude give daxter a try as well. It' a couple of years old but still one of the best platformers on the system.

krakenslayer
01-Aug-2009, 04:46 PM
Dude give daxter a try as well. It' a couple of years old but still one of the best platformers on the system.

I will when (if) I get a new one. Mine is broken :( and money's a bit tight these days. Also really want to try God of War: Chains of Olympus, which I've heard is absolutely incredible.

Oh and I forgot to mention Sid Meier's Pirates in my little list - that was an amazing update of the original sandbox game. You start off with a boat and some men and it's entirely up to you and the choices you make whether you want to play the game as a peaceful trader, or a prate-hunter, or a mercenary, or just hoist the black flag and inflict a reign of terror on the Spanish Main. You can capture ships, sail throughout the entire Gulf of Mexico, buy and sell goods, sword fight, attack towns, challenge corrupt officials to duels, rescue kidnapped family members, take hostages, chat up barmaids, make advances on governors' daughters, dance at a ball, get married, hang out in bars, and generally have a blast. I highly, HIGHLY recommend this game to anyone that has not tried it.