PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Of The dead video game EVER!!??????????

Cinerary
02-Aug-2009, 02:36 PM
Do you think there will ever be the chance in our lifetime to make a Dawn of the Dead video game based on the 1978 movie? Why this has not been made is beyond me. If I had game programming experience I would have made this already:D

I am not talking about on the computer either. I am talking about Xbox 360 and Playstation3 platforms. I think it would be great to make a trilogy of games based on Romeros' dead movie. Night, dawn, Day. I know, I know, they did Land of the dead, I but i want more damn it.

Now I know there a lot of people on here with some connections to people out there that know others in the gaming industry. Has anyone ever floated the idea to anyone to possibly make this a reality? If this was ever done I would never leave the house!:skull:

krakenslayer
02-Aug-2009, 03:03 PM
I've always imagined a game in the vein of the PS2/Xbox/PSP game The Warriors. Imagine the tutorial level starts out with Roger at the apartment block, then you meet Peter and have to exterminate zombies in the basement. Then from there there are various levels detailing the cross country helicopter trek, arrival at the mall, raids on stores, moving the trucks, etc. Most of these levels could be played from various perspectives - e.g you can choose to play as Stephen in the chopper, Peter or Roger on the ground, or Francine sniping from the roof. Once the mall is secured, the game opens up and, using the Civil Defense hideout as a hub, you are free to roam the building, playing mini-games (including the genuine 1970s arcade games), exploring shops and hidden passages, go skating, shoot zombies from the roof, take the cars for a spin or even (if you're feeling brave) fight zombies out in the car park, take the trucks for a spin and visit new locations such as the nearby meat-packing plant (where they got the trucks from initially) and the local neighbourhood, and practice your flying skills in the chopper. There will also be new missions at this point dealing with things that happened during their stay at the mall that weren't featured in the film. There should also be multiple endings, based on your choices - including JOINING the biker gang, wiping out the bikers and the zombies but winning only a burnt-out, battle-shell of a mall, escaping in the chopper (movie ending) or the trucks, committing suicide (unused movie ending), or everyone simply being consumed. There could also be some insight into what happened to the survivors after the events of the film... if they make the right choices. Like the Warriors game, they should stay very close to the visual style of the movie (bright day-glo apocalypse), retain the 1970s look, fashions and technology, and use the cast from the movie to voice it.

3pidemiC
02-Aug-2009, 04:00 PM
Probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a real Dawn game is being made as a modification for Max Payne. It's been in developement for quite some time and is looking very nice (considering one guy is doing all of the work).

Check it out: http://www.moddb.com/mods/dawn-of-the-dead1

http://moddb.com/images/cache/mods/69/6922/gallery/water_68691.jpg

capncnut
02-Aug-2009, 04:51 PM
Do you think there will ever be the chance in our lifetime to make a Dawn of the Dead video game based on the 1978 movie? Why this has not been made is beyond me. If I had game programming experience I would have made this already:D

I am not talking about on the computer either. I am talking about Xbox 360 and Playstation3 platforms. I think it would be great to make a trilogy of games based on Romeros' dead movie. Night, dawn, Day. I know, I know, they did Land of the dead, I but i want more damn it.

Now I know there a lot of people on here with some connections to people out there that know others in the gaming industry. Has anyone ever floated the idea to anyone to possibly make this a reality? If this was ever done I would never leave the house!:skull:
The closest we have with current gen is Dead Rising, but even Capcom were taken to court by the MKR Group.

I think we had a thread here once about all the things we would like to see in a Dawn game. Got kind of lengthy too. I myself have been writing missions and maps (only on paper mind) for quite some time now but I am living in a dreamland, it ain't ever gonna happen. Dawn is a videogame that should've been made way before Resident Evil - if it out already, chances are it never will.

Now if we are talking old gen then Zombi is the closest. Released by Ubisoft in 1986, it has the mall, the four characters (different names tho), even the helicopter on the roof. The story is remarkably similar too.

The Dawn chad
http://home.flash.net/~rayearle/Zfiles/Zombi.png

The ending (need I say any more)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Zombi_%28video_game%29_End.jpg/250px-Zombi_%28video_game%29_End.jpg

;)

Trancelikestate
02-Aug-2009, 07:05 PM
i've seen vids of thatmax payne mod, its pretty good. i'll prob be doing it on GTA san andreas eventually, but it will be similar to my notld 68 mod. i just need to model the mall which could take awhile. :p if i learn more about modding other games like road to fiddlers green on pc, maybe trin and i could put something really special together.

Mr.G
03-Aug-2009, 02:24 PM
Ugh, I would pay loads of cash for a Dawn videogame. I'd also appreciate a free roaming Return of the Living Dead, F:13, or NOES. I had the old Nintendo F:13 and I thought it rocked as a kid.

bassman
03-Aug-2009, 02:50 PM
There are few things that say to me that a Dawn videogame may not be as impossible as we may think....

1. Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, and other zombie video games selling well.
2. Video games based on classic films doing well.
3. Ruben$tein is milking the title for every single penny.
4. The original actors would probably be willing to lend their likenesses and voices.

darth los
03-Aug-2009, 03:28 PM
There are few things that say to me that a Dawn videogame may not be as impossible as we may think....

4. The original actors would probably be willing to lend their likenesses and voices.

Well, when you put it that way....

I guess all that's needed is a group of people with the drive and passion to do this thing. Hopefully it's someone who's a rabid fan because in the wrong hands i can see this thing getting really screwed up. Road to Fiddler's green anyone?....:rolleyes:

:cool:

DjfunkmasterG
03-Aug-2009, 05:24 PM
While this is a stretch, A few guys have made Maps of the Monroeville Mall for Land of the Dead: RTFG but I believe they only work for the PC version of the game.

Check undeadgames.com for more info on this, but these maps do exist, and I think they modded the characters to look like Peter and ROger.

krakenslayer
03-Aug-2009, 06:26 PM
I think, given the great job they did with capturing the atmosphere and look of The Warriors (a similarly retro property), Rockstar would make an awesome Dawn-based game.

darth los
03-Aug-2009, 06:39 PM
While this is a stretch, A few guys have made Maps of the Monroeville Mall for Land of the Dead: RTFG but I believe they only work for the PC version of the game.

Check undeadgames.com for more info on this, but these maps do exist, and I think they modded the characters to look like Peter and ROger.

Correct me if I'm wrong but trancelikestate does that stuff and quite well I might add.

In the future we won't need video game companies for distribution. It will be much like how the music industry has evolved up until this point. Everything can be done with computer software and via the internet.

I think, given the great job they did with capturing the atmosphere and look of The Warriors (a similarly retro property), Rockstar would make an awesome Dawn-based game.

Atleast they're a company I trust. I'd just be excited to see what extras they add to the game in the way of storyline. The warriors is a good game, yes, but there's alot of stuff in there that wasn't in the movie and it worked very well. So..... I wonder how DOTD will fare from that sort of treatment.

krakenslayer
03-Aug-2009, 06:49 PM
Atleast they're a company I trust. I'd just be excited to see what extras they add to the game in the way of storyline. The warriors is a good game, yes, but there's alot of stuff in there that wasn't in the movie and it worked very well. So..... I wonder how DOTD will fare from that sort of treatment.

Like I said in a previous post - imagine the game with the Civil Defence store in the mall being the "hub" (unlocked after the first few missions, which take place before the characters arrive at the mall). From there, you can go on various missions in the mall and surrounding area to scavenge food and supplies, exterminate zombies, reclaim various parts of the building, and do some exploration, with most of the early missions exactly following scenes in the film. Once the mall itself is secure, you have free roam around the building to do anything you want (including many, many mini-games and mini-missions to discover), as well as venture into the zombie-swamped wastes beyond. There should and also the opportunity to participate in events and missions that did not appear in the film because they happened during the "montage" time between securing the building and fighting the bikers (perhaps involving reconnaissance of the local area, scavenging for helicopter fuel, etc.). There is real scope for it to be a wide open game with lots and lots and lots to do.

Trancelikestate
03-Aug-2009, 07:16 PM

i love how u spelled his name with a dollar sign hahaha! good point though. we could only hope. till then i'm a pirate horror modder!

Ugh, I would pay loads of cash for a Dawn videogame. I'd also appreciate a free roaming Return of the Living Dead, F:13, or NOES. I had the old Nintendo F:13 and I thought it rocked as a kid.

yeah, i have already put together a Ft13 mod, and no rotld but i have considered it. i have put together the notld 68 mod as well of course. i think i'll be modeling monroville mall for san andreas soon here. these mods do have freeroam, and i tell ya what, its fun to run around as jason and just wack people. there are of course missions. as soon as i start modeling this mall, i'll tease you guys with pics. keep in mind guys gta san andreas can be run on most computers, and i think its super easy to work with. its also SUPER easy to get if you know what i mean.

Wyldwraith
03-Aug-2009, 10:08 PM
Hmm,
The problem with many movie-based games is that the developer often adheres too closely to the movie, thus killing the feel of choice/accomplishment, or they deviate too far, and it becomes a game with nothing in common with the property it's named for.

My ideal Dawn game wouldn't script the movie sequence as missions/phases. Instead, it would be open world GTA-style, using the geographical areas depicted in the movie as areas that can be traveled through. Certain design elements (like how various structures are rated based on defensibility/amount of necessary supplies etc.) would ENCOURAGE players to head for the Mall (which would have the best all-around rating)...but other options would include local police stations, National Guard Armories, Apartment Tenements, underground sewer junctions (with the sewer system itself being available as a traversible area. Far lower zombie density would make the sewers attractive as "highways", but the inability to see what you're popping up into before you open a manhole would force you to choose between the aboveground (where things are really dangerous, but you can see everything coming at you.) or the sewers, (safer, but dicier/potentially lethal exit points).

You then graft on antagonists like roaming marauders (requiring good AI), and shifting zombie horde movements, and make the goal to survive as long as possible, in the best condition. (Sort of like the Survival Mode of Dead Rising).

There are a variety of other elements I've pondered, but those are some of the bare-bones. A strong emphasis on the inescapable lethality of a single zombie bite, and character advancement models based on an Improve By Doing method, with a detailed combat system (allowing for all the dynamics of human vs zombie combat) would be the red-letter items.

I prefer something like this as opposed to a linear series of missions relating the events of the movie because of the replayability options of "my" method. Games based on movies/books that rigidly adhere to their source material are good for a single playthrough, at best. (Harry Potter games anyone?)

I agree that if the right people got interested the game could get made. Survival Horror has had some major hits of late. Deadspace, Bioshock 2, Prototype, the F.E.A.R franchise, etc. If it was going to happen, now would be the time for it.

SRP76
04-Aug-2009, 02:50 AM
character advancement models based on an Improve By Doing method

Agree with this. I'm thinking of stats in certain categories, that rise when used.

In my ideal game, you'd be able to play as any of the four. Each has different stats. Once you pick a character, you're stuck with it until you meet the others.

What I mean is this type of scenario:

You're at the office upstairs, all 4 of you. Time to raid the mall. You choose Fran. You go downstairs, and battle! By the time you get to the department store, you figure out that Fran isn't the best choice for this. You can NOT simply go to a sub-screen and switch out characters. You have to hobble your way all the way back to the others, and then you can select one of them.

There would also obviously be multiple paths of advancement (and endings) depending on the characters you use and the actions you take.

Cinerary
05-Aug-2009, 02:58 PM
i've always imagined a game in the vein of the ps2/xbox/psp game the warriors. Imagine the tutorial level starts out with roger at the apartment block, then you meet peter and have to exterminate zombies in the basement. Then from there there are various levels detailing the cross country helicopter trek, arrival at the mall, raids on stores, moving the trucks, etc. Most of these levels could be played from various perspectives - e.g you can choose to play as stephen in the chopper, peter or roger on the ground, or francine sniping from the roof. Once the mall is secured, the game opens up and, using the civil defense hideout as a hub, you are free to roam the building, playing mini-games (including the genuine 1970s arcade games), exploring shops and hidden passages, go skating, shoot zombies from the roof, take the cars for a spin or even (if you're feeling brave) fight zombies out in the car park, take the trucks for a spin and visit new locations such as the nearby meat-packing plant (where they got the trucks from initially) and the local neighbourhood, and practice your flying skills in the chopper. There will also be new missions at this point dealing with things that happened during their stay at the mall that weren't featured in the film. There should also be multiple endings, based on your choices - including joining the biker gang, wiping out the bikers and the zombies but winning only a burnt-out, battle-shell of a mall, escaping in the chopper (movie ending) or the trucks, committing suicide (unused movie ending), or everyone simply being consumed. There could also be some insight into what happened to the survivors after the events of the film... If they make the right choices. Like the warriors game, they should stay very close to the visual style of the movie (bright day-glo apocalypse), retain the 1970s look, fashions and technology, and use the cast from the movie to voice it.

bingo!!!!!:d

acealive1
05-Aug-2009, 07:22 PM
the closest thing to a "dead" game was someone making a mod off the PC version of gta vice city. it looked great, complete with all the radio stations either broadcasting news or being all static.

krakenslayer
05-Aug-2009, 07:54 PM
the closest thing to a "dead" game was someone making a mod off the PC version of gta vice city. it looked great, complete with all the radio stations either broadcasting news or being all static.

I remember that! It was a great idea, but it was a bit shit, if I remember rightly, because the zombies were just normal, healthy-looking pedestrians who would run after you and try to beat you up (basically acting like outraged victims in the game would if you tried to steal their car). Also, for some reason, the draw-distance was cut right down to a few dozen yards, with just blackness beyond, making driving really difficult and killing the "epic" nature of the mod.

With just a little more work it would have been kick-ass!

acealive1
07-Aug-2009, 08:49 PM
I remember that! It was a great idea, but it was a bit shit, if I remember rightly, because the zombies were just normal, healthy-looking pedestrians who would run after you and try to beat you up (basically acting like outraged victims in the game would if you tried to steal their car). Also, for some reason, the draw-distance was cut right down to a few dozen yards, with just blackness beyond, making driving really difficult and killing the "epic" nature of the mod.

With just a little more work it would have been kick-ass!

its the best mod to date besides the BTTF series someone made on gta as well

Trancelikestate
07-Aug-2009, 08:58 PM
uhhhhh hummmm, have u seen my mods? :P

krakenslayer
07-Aug-2009, 09:05 PM
uhhhhh hummmm, have u seen my mods? :P

I've not played them, but they do actually look lot better than the Vice City: Long Night mod. I loved the NotLD farmhouse one, especially.

The Long Night was cool in that it was a total conversion of the game, but like I said there were a couple of things that really killed the potential awesomeness. Mainly because, unlike Trance's mods, the modder didn't really add anything to the game other than scripting (he didn't edit character models to make zombies, or add any new buildings or anything). It was just GTA:VC with the graphics messed up a bit and people trying to attack you. There were some very well designed missions though.

Trancelikestate
07-Aug-2009, 09:29 PM
ahh thats cool. yeah i never saw that one for some reason. but i do love the bttf mod. its one of the if not the best mod out there. you guys need to check it out. :)

Cinerary
09-Aug-2009, 09:08 PM
If I was a millionaire I would have hired and paid off the right people to throw this game together. eventually doing the whole Romero saga, Night, dawn day. No diary. land of course already done and was lame.

http://i43.tinypic.com/20rqueo.jpg

Trancelikestate
09-Aug-2009, 09:23 PM
this thread is inspiring me to begin work on my mall model even though south park isnt really finished. :P i just wanna post some pics to tease you guys.