PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Hill appreciation thread

Trancelikestate
02-Aug-2009, 08:03 PM
i figured there is a thread about the unfortunate news of his passing, well why not have a thread to celebrate his life? lets post pics, tell stories, and all reflect back on what made him one of the best ever. i'll start with a pic of Clayton, Sharon and I. This was taken at Pittsburgh comicon 07. They really are the sweetest.
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2209/15465107.jpg
and a quick photoshop collage i made. :)
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9194/collager.jpg

WE LOVE YOU CLAYTON! RIP!

MinionZombie
02-Aug-2009, 08:46 PM
I was always really impressed by his escalator bits in Dawn where he's staggering down an ascending escalator, and standing the wrong way looking really confused on an ascending elevator.

The latter always freaks me out as well - I have vertigo, and can't stand being on escalators, so just seeing him standing so freely wobbling around as a zombie always freaks me out - plus it's just a classic bit of zombie tomfoolery (especially where he stumbles over at the top).

An iconic zombie without a doubt.

Doc
02-Aug-2009, 10:03 PM
I always liked, tha part where he and the rest of the zeds follow Flyboy to the hideout and he knocks everything thats in his way.:) He did really well keeping in character.

Trancelikestate
02-Aug-2009, 10:52 PM
i'm not sure who knows this, but he was also in hellraiser 3

axlish
03-Aug-2009, 12:58 AM
I'll never forget in 2003 at the 25th anniversary celebration at the Pittsburgh Comicon, while on a tour of the mall with Ken Foree and others, Clay re-enacts his escalator sequence. To be honest, I wasn't really sure who Clay was until he did that recreation.

Later in the tour, Ken began to tell one of his stories, some business about the zombie extras all laying on top of one another (the zombie clean up sequence where Peter and Flyboy stack the zombies on a cart). Well they had been laying on top of each other for some time between takes, and Ken delicately explains how "some member of the crew, he isn't here or anything, says 'they're just extras, who cares'" And that is when Ken had had enough, and he yelled "GET UP!" to the extras, giving them a much needed break. Clay then chimes in "But why'd it take ya two hours?" :)

< --- Thread moved to more appropriate forum

DeadJonas190
09-Aug-2009, 05:26 AM
I'll never forget in 2003 at the 25th anniversary celebration at the Pittsburgh Comicon, while on a tour of the mall with Ken Foree and others, Clay re-enacts his escalator sequence. To be honest, I wasn't really sure who Clay was until he did that recreation.

Later in the tour, Ken began to tell one of his stories, some business about the zombie extras all laying on top of one another (the zombie clean up sequence where Peter and Flyboy stack the zombies on a cart). Well they had been laying on top of each other for some time between takes, and Ken delicately explains how "some member of the crew, he isn't here or anything, says 'they're just extras, who cares'" And that is when Ken had had enough, and he yelled "GET UP!" to the extras, giving them a much needed break. Clay then chimes in "But why'd it take ya two hours?" :)

< --- Thread moved to more appropriate forum

LOL I remember that, that tour was great wasn't it. One of the best parts of that comicon was watching the re-enactment of the escalator scene. I also remember how friendly Clayton and his wife were, they were some of the most welcoming people I have met at any comicon, they really seemed to appreciate the fans.

EvilNed
09-Aug-2009, 12:48 PM
Uhm. I think this fandom is getting a bit out of hand, right here...

axlish
09-Aug-2009, 04:46 PM
Uhm. I think this fandom is getting a bit out of hand, right here...

Check out the URL in your browser, it should tell you everything you need to know about where you are. This aint IMDB.

EvilNed
09-Aug-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah, but still. Not saying it's bad or anything, but the dude was an extra in a film over 30 years ago, and he's selling merchandise of himself? Now that is just wack, my friend!

darth los
09-Aug-2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah, but still. Not saying it's bad or anything, but the dude was an extra in a film over 30 years ago, and he's selling merchandise of himself? Now that is just wack, my friend!

When you think about it it is funny that something someone did for shits and giggles (because I'm sure he wasn't paid much if at all) can turn you into a cult figure. Sure he's done other things as well, as was pointed out, but this is what people really remember him for.

:cool:

EvilNed
09-Aug-2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah, well. I have to admit it's sad seeing him go, even if I didn't know who it was. I'll think of him for sure next time I watch Dawn. RIP.

EDIT: (I wouldn't mind that Ich Bin Ein Zombie T-shirt, by the way)

DubiousComforts
09-Aug-2009, 08:08 PM
No, it's not "whack." Clayton's primary job was as weapons coordinator on DAWN and like most others that are enlisted as extras in Romero films, playing a zombie tends to overshadow their behind-the-scenes contributions. (Bill Hinzman comes to mind.)

Because he was more than just an extra, Clayton was a great source of information on DAWN which he was always willing to share with everyone whether they bought anything from him or not. If nobody wanted their autographs, Clayton and Sharon obviously wouldn't have wasted time appearing anywhere but conventions were definitely a better place due to them being there.

Trancelikestate
09-Aug-2009, 08:20 PM
No, it's not "whack." Clayton's primary job was as weapons coordinator on DAWN and like most others that are enlisted as extras in Romero films, playing a zombie tends to overshadow their behind-the-scenes contributions. (Bill Hinzman comes to mind.)

Because he was more than just an extra, Clayton was a great source of information on DAWN which he was always willing to share with everyone whether they bought anything from him or not. If nobody wanted their autographs, Clayton and Sharon obviously wouldn't have wasted time appearing anywhere but conventions were definitely a better place due to them being there.

dude, i think you get more rebounds than shaq. :P