PDA

View Full Version : New rock supergroup

capncnut
05-Aug-2009, 12:38 AM
http://www.exclaim.ca/images/up-themcrookedLG.jpg

I think the image gives it away. ;)

Anyway, they are called Them Crooked Vultures and consist of Josh Homme (Queens Of The Stone Age) on vocals and guitar, John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) on bass and Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters/Nirvana) on drums. They perform their first live concert on August 9th at the Metro Chicago with an album to follow later this year. It's a bit light on information at the moment but golly am I dying to hear them.

Official website (http://themcrookedvultures.com/)

clanglee
05-Aug-2009, 02:29 AM
Very very nice!!! I always like to see Dave come back to the drums. His work on that one QOTSA album was just amazing.

MikePizzoff
05-Aug-2009, 03:12 AM
I wish Dave would start a metal project already.

bassman
05-Aug-2009, 11:55 AM
Grohl and Jones are great, but the guy's voice from QOTSA is what always kept me from liking that album.....

capncnut
05-Aug-2009, 05:48 PM
Grohl and Jones are great, but the guy's voice from QOTSA is what always kept me from liking that album.....
Josh Homme is badass. :cool:

Also Josh only sings half of the songs on that album. Mark Lanegan and Nick Oliveri sing the rest.

bassman
05-Aug-2009, 06:16 PM
Josh Homme is badass. :cool:

Also Josh only sings half of the songs on that album. Mark Lanegan and Nick Oliveri sing the rest.

Hrmmm....I only heard a few, so I guess they were all his. I'll have to see if I can find it and give it another try.

Still though.....this isn't that exciting of a collaboration, imo.

capncnut
02-Sep-2009, 09:56 AM
December 17th... Hammersmith... YEAH BABY!

Here's a twidgeon of 'Elephants'.

iBckNeRMXDY&feature=related

bassman
02-Sep-2009, 11:58 AM
Not bad. But there's also no vocals on that snippet.

Mike70
02-Sep-2009, 12:39 PM
if that clip is any indication of what this band will sound like, then no thanks from me, i'll pass.

i cannot fucking stand queens of the stone age. enough said about that shit.

while i respect dave grohl's musical talent, i do not like anything he's done since nirvana, except for the probot project.

john paul jones is cool but isn't enough on his own to make me want to listen to any band.

capncnut
02-Sep-2009, 12:50 PM
Not bad. But there's also no vocals on that snippet.
Yeah, they are being ultra secretive with their studio work and are only releasing very small snippets.

I think they are going for a very basic hard rock sound, nothing too technical, but with a barnyard-at-night kind of vibe. I really dig it, as it happens - I love QOTSA, I love Led Zeppelin and I love Nirvana so there's nothing for me to hate.

They will also have a couple of backing members too, one of which is Alain Johannes. He was in a little known, but cult-tastic, band called Eleven.

bassman
02-Sep-2009, 12:52 PM
I love QOTSA, I love Led Zeppelin and I love Nirvana so there's nothing for me to hate.

Nirvana? Over rated junk. Give the man some credit and say Foo Fighters.:p

capncnut
02-Sep-2009, 12:58 PM
Nirvana? Over rated junk. Give the man some credit and say Foo Fighters.:p
Really? It's the other way around for me. I think the Foo Fighters are a steaming pile of fail.

bassman
02-Sep-2009, 01:03 PM
There was nothing special about Nirvana, imho. Just a fad that thankfully died out.(pun intended)

Dave Grohl has done more with FF in it's time than sappy ass Cobain ever thought about doing.

capncnut
02-Sep-2009, 01:13 PM
Granted Nirvana were overrated, I will agree with that. But that's not to say they were a terrible band. Foo Fighters are okay but everything that came after The Color And The Shape has been nothing more than generic dogshit.

The running for the grunge cup back in 1991 was always going to be between two bands and their albums: Nirvana Nevermind and The Smashing Pumpkins Gish. Personally I prefer Gish any day of the week but Nirvana released theirs first and came in pole position.

Mike70
02-Sep-2009, 01:30 PM
There was nothing special about Nirvana, imho. Just a fad that thankfully died out.(pun intended)

Dave Grohl has done more with FF in it's time than sappy ass Cobain ever thought about doing.

no, nothing special but i thought nirvana was good band with some great songs. certainly not the be all, end all saviors of music that the music press tried to portray them as.

then again, i was never all that sympathetic to grunge. there were some decent bands but in the long run, it was a musical fad. a better fad than most but still a fad.

DubiousComforts
04-Sep-2009, 12:39 PM
Here's the full song:

x1ISnz7LQDk

Is there a good reason why a song this simple requires two guitarists?

John Paul Jones is a bonafide musical genius, and yet here he is playing with a bunch of monkeys. It's also ironic that people are already making the Bonham comparison and yet Grohl's drumming style is the polar opposite.

bassman
04-Sep-2009, 12:45 PM
How can you hear anything with that shit video??? The quality is so horrible that I couldn't even finish it.

At least find a good quality video that doesn't sound like a cat in a trash compactor before you go to negative comments(as you always do:p)

DubiousComforts
04-Sep-2009, 01:04 PM
How can you hear anything with that shit video??? The quality is so horrible that I couldn't even finish it.
You obviously have no idea what it was like growing up with multi-gen bootleg cassettes and videos or maybe your ears might be better developed. Spoiled punk-ass brats today. :p

Spot-on quote from John Paul Jones regarding John Bonham:
"He used to hit hard and he was loud, but he was actually a very subtle drummer in a lot of ways. He never played the same thing twice and there was always a lot going on in his playing. There was light and shade, colour and groove."

Compare any performance of Bonham's with Dave Grohl, whom has apparently earned his degree from the Tommy Lee School of Rock Drum Douchery. He is a far more accomplished songwriter given his work with the Foo Fighters than he is a drummer.

Here's a cleaner version for the hearing-challenged:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0uqZD4yvF8

I liked it much better when it was distorted to shit.

bassman
04-Sep-2009, 01:08 PM
You obviously have no idea what it was like growing up with multi-gen bootleg cassettes and videos or maybe your ears might be better developed. Spoiled punk-ass brats today. :p

:rolleyes:

Yeah....I grew up listening to my ipod. Straight off the bat I was listening to digital. You got me there. What's a cassette, again?:|

Reported, btw.

DubiousComforts
04-Sep-2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah....I grew up listening to my ipod. Straight off the bat I was listening to digital. You got me there. What's a cassette, again?:|

"Cassettes" were these prehistoric pieces of plastic and magnetic tape that were jammed into Sony Walkmans for an amazing 8k listening experience.

Reported, btw.
Be careful or you're going to hurt yourself.

capncnut
22-Nov-2009, 06:15 AM
Is there a good reason why a song this simple requires two guitarists?
Actually the 'other dude' who noone knows is Alain Johannes. He has worked with Josh Homme on pretty much everything from Kyuss to QOTSA and has collaborated with the likes of Red Hot Chili peppers, Chris Cornell, Mark Lanegan, etc. He's probably out with Them Crooked Vultures on orders of Josh to keep his mind off the loss of his wife, Natasha Schneider, who died of cancer last year.

Anyway, been listening to the album for most of the week and holy shit it's easily the best album of the year. John Paul Jones' basswork is intricate and soulful, Dave Grohls drums are (as always) incredible and Josh Homme's guitar work is like a shit kickin' fight in a biker bar. It's also his best vocal effort to date.

A real shredder of a 45 min live concert is doing the rounds on the BBC channels too.

vAYqgvgxWXM&feature=related
Album number two is on it's way and the band show so signs of stopping, although Queens Of The Stone Age might get back together for a quick album and tour in 2010.

deadpunk
22-Nov-2009, 03:37 PM
This isn't my style of music (obviously), but I can bet my next paycheck my wife will own this album.

I would like to chime in though, and say this: The more exposure I have to Dave Grohl, the more impressed I am. I've always felt that Nirvana was over-rated crap, yet my opinion was cleary in the minority. For this guy to come out from behind the drums where he sat in the shadow of one of rock's martryed superstars and emerge to continue the way he did speaks volumes. I wanted to hate Foo Fighters, but found them to grow on me with each album they released. The guy is just a talented individual. More importantly, I've yet to read/see an interview where his ego takes the lead. It's all about making music with this guy...so odd for a musician :lol:

capncnut
22-Nov-2009, 03:42 PM
Dude, try this.

oG2Pizk4ZdU

deadpunk
22-Nov-2009, 03:50 PM
I liked that, actually. :)

capncnut
22-Nov-2009, 03:51 PM
You're like me, son. Anything with a pulse. :D

mista_mo
22-Nov-2009, 04:08 PM
:rolleyes:

Reported, btw.

I think that the smiley face at the end of his post sums up the sarcasm in the message.

deadpunk
22-Nov-2009, 04:09 PM
You're like me, son. Anything with a pulse. :D

Actually, lol, I'm very biased. My wife is a drummer and a damn good one. It's made me come to have high expectations of drummers. I like Grohl in this song, particularly, because he really does give it a pulse. God, I hate a lazy drummer...