PDA

View Full Version : can we get a REAL wide release this time?!?

dawnofthedick
05-Aug-2009, 03:20 PM
Diary was playing only in Major cities and not very often, It should be like land available at any theater that shows most released movies anyone know about the release plans?

krakenslayer
05-Aug-2009, 03:55 PM
Diary was playing only in Major cities and not very often, It should be like land available at any theater that shows most released movies anyone know about the release plans?

Not sure, although I imagine it will be a smallish release again, at least in the States (it had a fairly wide release here in the UK, with most large cinemas showing it). Once again, this is an independent production, with a budget of only a little more than Diary's, and it hasn't secured a big distributor (at least, not yet).

bassman
05-Aug-2009, 04:25 PM
A theatrical release would be cool, but I would rather it be released to DVD instead of having to drive over an hour to see it...

darth los
05-Aug-2009, 05:56 PM
A theatrical release would be cool, but I would rather it be released to DVD instead of having to drive over an hour to see it...

Theatrical releases are over rated. I mean have you guys BEEN to a theater lately? Between the cell phones, obnoxious teens and crying babies it's awful. I'll wait for the dvd release and watch it my 50 inch plasma with surround sound. Beats a theater any day.

:cool:

krakenslayer
05-Aug-2009, 06:11 PM
It depends on the cinema and the film, near me there is a pleasant art-house-type theatre with a cafe-bar and beautiful art-deco interiors. I usually will watch a movie there, if they will show it, because you never get loud-mouth trash, screaming kids and idiot yuppies yammering on their phones there. And it's actually cheaper.

However, last week I went to see Moon at my local retard-market multiplex, and although the theatre was packed out, there was not one idiot popcorn-tosser in the audience (whereas at Harry Potter two weeks previously there were dozens) - so it goes to show that a "quality" movie usually brings out a quality audience. I doubt Survival of the Dead will have nearly enough CGI and slow-motion explosions to attract the idiot crowd (I don't remember too many douchebags at Diary).

bassman
05-Aug-2009, 06:19 PM
Theatrical releases are over rated. I mean have you guys BEEN to a theater lately? Between the cell phones, obnoxious teens and crying babies it's awful. I'll wait for the dvd release and watch it my 50 inch plasma with surround sound. Beats a theater any day.

You're right. This is why I wait until a film has been out for a week or two before I go see it. For instance....I just saw The Hangover a few days ago and there was basically nobody in the theater.

The only time I go near a theater around the first few days of release is if it's a movie I'm dying to see. And those don't come around often...

AcesandEights
05-Aug-2009, 06:52 PM
Wide Release? The least of my concerns.

Let this thing be good. Hell, I'll take decent.

Skippy911sc
05-Aug-2009, 08:44 PM
Direct To DVD sounds good to me...There was not a theater around that showed Diary...and I am glad I waited for Video on that one.

bassman
05-Aug-2009, 08:47 PM
There was not a theater around that showed Diary...

Just going off memory here, but I think it was in only one theater per state. Maybe two or three theaters in the bigger states.

Total waste, imo. Just put it on the dvd shelves and get it out there to everyone....

DubiousComforts
05-Aug-2009, 11:07 PM
Theatrical releases are over rated. I mean have you guys BEEN to a theater lately?
Sure have, and there's barely anyone there anymore. Last month, I caught Public Enemies at the local 12-plex during the week of its release and only 10 other people were in attendance.

I trekked to NYC for the premiere of DIARY and thoroughly enjoyed it (paid for my tickets, too). I'll do it again in a heartbeat for SURVIVAL.

It's too bad the current generation has become too jaded to appreciate being able to catch an independent George Romero film on the big screen. Perhaps if it were possible to go back in time to the packed midnight screenings of DAY when that film was first released, then everyone would know what they're missing.

zombiekiller
05-Aug-2009, 11:21 PM

not if it's played at the drive-in. would like to see them play night,dawn,day,land,then whatever this one is called

thxleo
06-Aug-2009, 02:11 AM
It's too bad the current generation has become too jaded to appreciate being able to catch an independent George Romero film on the big screen. Perhaps if it were possible to go back in time to the packed midnight screenings of DAY when that film was first released, then everyone would know what they're missing.

You could not have said it better.

Moon Knight
06-Aug-2009, 03:30 AM
Diary was great in the theater cause honestly there was only the hardcore GAR fans who trooped it just to be able to check it out day one.

I really don't see a man like Romero making a flick just to have it go directly to DVD. No matter how low budget or how much of a flop it is.

Hmm, now that I think about it, was Bruiser a direct to home release?

darth los
06-Aug-2009, 01:44 PM
not if it's played at the drive-in. would like to see them play night,dawn,day,land,then whatever this one is called

Ah yes. Barriers to insulate me from the unwashed masses!!

Me likes!!

bassman
06-Aug-2009, 01:48 PM
I really don't see a man like Romero making a flick just to have it go directly to DVD. No matter how low budget or how much of a flop it is.

Hmm, now that I think about it, was Bruiser a direct to home release?

That's what I was thinking. It possibly was...

One thing is strange about Bruiser....I still see it in stores all the time. I need to pick it up and give it a full viewing sometime...

Neil
07-Aug-2009, 11:54 AM

I must admit to prefering to watch horror films at home. I can do it justice by turning all the lights off, and knowing there will be no interuptions from stupid 16yr olds laughing at all the wrong moments...

MinionZombie
07-Aug-2009, 12:48 PM
I must admit to prefering to watch horror films at home. I can do it justice by turning all the lights off, and knowing there will be no interuptions from stupid 16yr olds laughing at all the wrong moments...
I guess it depends on the cinema you go to, I'm fortunate in that my local cineplex (despite being located in an area where you'll easily find four teenage chav mums talking and smoking while ignoring their babies by the side of the road, or chavs on mountain bikes attempting to pop wheelies) is actually quite good when it comes to the audience.

Only on two or three occasions has there been a mild bit of nuisance - the biggest was Pineapple Express if memory serves, there was a double date going on and the lads were on either side of the two girls who were sat by each other making the shittest of shit jokes to each other, and making retarded comment after retarded comment - but they piped down for 90% of the movie, plus I find the volume always drowns out any possible numptyism.

In fact, going to see Drag Me To Hell was one of my best ever cinema experiences - a packed crowd, and everyone was on the same level and enjoying it in the same way - it felt like being in an American audience, but you know the sort you'd find at the showing of a cult movie, not the sort where there's the annoying woman who says "oh no don't be goin' in there girlfriend" or whatever ... ... yeah, DMTH was my best cinema audience experience ever.

What does annoy me though, are the legions of twats who insist on running out of the cinema as soon as there's a hint the credits are about to start - and then, as is so often the case these days, you get more footage during the credits - everybody then halts on the stairs, which is mildly okay but they shouldn't have been so impatient - what really annoys me though are the twats who stop right in front of you (when you're on the front row (of the good seats anyway, not the seats where you're about 2ft from the screen - the ascending main set of seats I man) ... so you get a bunch of silhouettes ruining your view.

One time that happened I started flailing my arms in a "get out of the way" motion and grunted "get out out of the way you fucking morons!" ... which my friends both agreed with, and found hilarious. :p

Oh yeah ... "of the Dead" ... well I saw Land and Diary at the same cinema, so no doubt I'll get to see it there. Hopefully this time I can get someone to go with me, saw Land with a fellow GAR fan, and saw Diary on my own on the afternoon of it's first day of release.

Trin
07-Aug-2009, 04:58 PM
I'll take the theater experience any day. Especially for a GAR movie. It's just better, imho. Plus you get movie theater popcorn. :)

MinionZombie
07-Aug-2009, 05:09 PM
I'll take the theater experience any day. Especially for a GAR movie. It's just better, imho. Plus you get movie theater popcorn. :)
That's a minus to me - cinema popcorn is bland, chewy packing material.

Stuff bought in the supermarket (e.g. that Butterkist, or however it's spelled, stuff is lush) is far better in my experience. Plus it's a damn sight cheaper.

Trin
07-Aug-2009, 06:41 PM
I won't argue on the price for what you get. But here at least we have some damned fine popcorn in the theaters.

dawnofthedick
08-Aug-2009, 09:38 PM
You could not have said it better.

Thats my point.... This is our "star wars" or trek or planet of the apes, this is a series of movies we want to get the attention, I was really asking because i get into movies for free so plus you get to meet fellow fans and sometimes a nice girl (lucky my ex was a fan but can be hard to find) that likes Zombie movies (Girls who like zombies are fun usually imo)
but seriously I would like to see an old director get some media attention he deserves, I have my preferences but I pretty much enjoy every movie he has made that ive seen and thats what matters , again imo......

Ive been lurking these forums for years but finally decided to share my opin...

darth los
09-Aug-2009, 07:19 PM
What does annoy me though, are the legions of twats who insist on running out of the cinema as soon as there's a hint the credits are about to start - and then, as is so often the case these days, you get more footage during the credits - everybody then halts on the stairs, which is mildly okay but they shouldn't have been so impatient - what really annoys me though are the twats who stop right in front of you (when you're on the front row (of the good seats anyway, not the seats where you're about 2ft from the screen - the ascending main set of seats I man) ... so you get a bunch of silhouettes ruining your view.

:p

Oh yeah ... "of the Dead" ... well I saw Land and Diary at the same cinema, so no doubt I'll get to see it there. Hopefully this time I can get someone to go with me, saw Land with a fellow GAR fan, and saw Diary on my own on the afternoon of it's first day of release.

Hey man, those bathroom lines are too long to follow propper etiquette. :p

EvilNed
09-Aug-2009, 07:54 PM

I'm kinda with you there. Horror films are not a big draw to the cinema for me. Call me stupid, or MTVish, but I'm only really drawn to the cinema when I know I'll get some nice majestic audio/visual treat for my bucks. And I like history, so if there's some roman epic coming out, you'll probably find me in the crowd going to see it.

But horrorfilms? I don't know, I kinda like seeing them with my friends at home.