View Full Version : RIP Filmmaker John Hughes

C5NOTLD
06-Aug-2009, 09:36 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=8270742

Sad to hear. He made some great films.

DjfunkmasterG
06-Aug-2009, 09:40 PM
Beat me too it.

This sucks, in honor I will watch Breakfast Club Tonight.

capncnut
06-Aug-2009, 09:50 PM
Christ, that's unexpected. :stunned:

MoonSylver
06-Aug-2009, 10:36 PM
Argh that is damn sad. That guy made so many flicks I loved as a youth. Breakfast Club & ESPECIALLY Ferris Bueller from his earlier stuff, PT&A & Uncle Buck from his later. Didn't realize he had gone so inactive over the years (Curly Sue was his last flick?!?!). Damn crying shame.

May have to go home & bust out Ferris Bueller's Day Off in tribute...:(

Doc
06-Aug-2009, 10:40 PM
R.I.P Mr. Huges.:(

While, don't have any of his films on dvd, they frequently show on Encore sometimes so, I've gotten a chance to see them. I've seen Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Weird Science, Uncle Buck, Home Alone, Sixteen Candles, and Pretty in Pink. They were full of camp and cheesiness most, of them anyway. But, I love it! :hyper:

Craig
06-Aug-2009, 10:46 PM
Wow that sucks, I loved Home Alone and Uncle Buck as a kid and he had a hand in writing some other good ones too.

Danny
06-Aug-2009, 11:00 PM
ah man, i just watched ferris beuller yesterday.:(

clanglee
06-Aug-2009, 11:06 PM
Sad Sad Sad. . . . .RIP Mr. Hughes.

Danny
06-Aug-2009, 11:26 PM
twitter is full of more rips for hughes than michael jackson, just goes to show the impact he had on anyone whos been a teenager in the last few decades.

bassman
06-Aug-2009, 11:27 PM
Just saw this on the tube. Horrible news.

His films are part of my childhood and life. A true entertainer...

Yojimbo
07-Aug-2009, 02:42 AM
Very sad to hear of the passing of this talented director. As was said, he had a big effect on gen x, and some of his films were pretty cool.

RIP Mr. Hughes!

DeadJonas190
07-Aug-2009, 03:59 AM
He made great movies. R.I.P. Mr. Hughes

thxleo
07-Aug-2009, 04:25 AM
This really is sad news. Sixteen Candles was the first VHS movie I ever rented when I was 13. I enjoyed just about every film that Mr. Hughes made, especially Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Planes,Trains, and Automobiles. A great loss for movie buffs for sure.

Neil
07-Aug-2009, 08:57 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8188778.stm

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000455/

aZINZmN1_GM

MinionZombie
07-Aug-2009, 09:36 AM
Saw this running along the ticker at the bottom of Sky News last night, totally not expecting that ... which is a weird thing to say, you'd never expect someone to die really ... I guess it's the seeming randomness of it, he was only 59!

Indeed, he's created some enduring comedy and teenage classics.

AcesandEights
07-Aug-2009, 01:43 PM
I saw this the other day and was totally weirded out by it for some reason. It's a damned shame and I think I know how I'll be spending some of my free time this weekend, now.

kortick
07-Aug-2009, 02:14 PM
I liked his films a lot, but after reading
Matty Simmons "If You Dont Buy This Book, We will shoot this Dog"
my opinion of him as a person changed.

He was paid $500,00 to write the script for European Vacation
and had a contract to do it, but handed in a piece of garbage
and Simmons told him he wanted a real John Hughes script
and he had been paid for it in full, but Hughes told him
"sorry I am busy working on my next film, thats what u get"
He was spending the money he got paid for European Vacation
to write Breakfast Club.

Harold Ramis took one look at the script Hughes submitted and
cancelled his plans to direct it. Hughes had sent his script in
late, and the movie had already been green lighted by the
studio, and was already in pre production so it couldnt be cancelled.

European Vacation with a solid script from Hughes and Harold Ramis
directing would have been nothing like the pic that got made.

Theres lots of other stories about how he wasnt exactly pleasant
to work with, I cant praise him as a person, but he did make some
good films.

I am not saying this to slam him, honestly i was unhappy to read
about how a guy who made such touching movies wasn't a
very nice or honest person.

Anyways RIP.

darth los
07-Aug-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't know if it's just because with all this technology we're hearing about it more but there are just so many legends dropping like flies lately. :(

R.I.P. dude.

:cool:

bassman
07-Aug-2009, 04:19 PM
Found out that there was a documentary in production about Hughes, his films, and their impact on the world.

tWCt-z__Kck&hl=en&fs=1&

Dont You Forget About Me (http://www.dontyouforgetaboutmethemovie.com/)

It's a shame that they'll never "find" him and get the interview. Should still make for an interesting watch, though.

Kortick - Even though he handed in a shakey script for European Vacation, he later wrote and produced Christmas Vacation. Seems like he made up for it, imo.

darth los
07-Aug-2009, 04:47 PM
Found out that there was a documentary in production about Hughes, his films, and their impact on the world.

tWCt-z__Kck&hl=en&fs=1&

Dont You Forget About Me (http://www.dontyouforgetaboutmethemovie.com/)

It's a shame that they'll never "find" him and get the interview. Should still make for an interesting watch, though.

Kortick - Even though he handed in a shakey script for European Vacation, he later wrote and produced Christmas Vacation. Seems like he made up for it, imo.

Ah yes, the incomparable billy idol!!

But yeah, what would 80's cinema be without his films?

:cool:

Neil
07-Aug-2009, 05:47 PM
http://wellknowwhenwegetthere.blogspot.com/2009/08/sincerely-john-hughes.html

MikePizzoff
07-Aug-2009, 06:15 PM
Shit, man, that's fucked up! On Wednesday night I was watching The Great Outdoors and saying to my girlfriend "I bet ya he makes a big comeback soon." Sadly, my prediction was the complete opposite, only hours later.

RIP Mr. Hughes

bassman
07-Aug-2009, 06:22 PM
I was wondering why he just up and left the business. That explains it.

John Candy was a great comedian and actor who is missed, but let's be honest. It wasn't Hollywood that killed him, it was his obesity...

MikePizzoff
07-Aug-2009, 06:36 PM

Actually, "Don't You Forget About Me" was written/performed by The Simple Minds. It's an honest mistake that I've heard quite a few people make, though, so don't feel bad!

Doc
07-Aug-2009, 07:21 PM
I was wondering why he just up and left the business. That explains it.

That and maybe, after Home Alone it seemed he was interested in doing the same old thing and othe kiddie comedies.

bassman
07-Aug-2009, 07:48 PM
Actually, "Don't You Forget About Me" was written/performed by The Simple Minds. It's an honest mistake that I've heard quite a few people make, though, so don't feel bad!

Billy Idol later recorded the song for his greatest hits album. So he did record it....that may be where alot of the confusion comes from.

capncnut
07-Aug-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah, Simple Mind's did it first but Billy does rule.

kortick
08-Aug-2009, 01:05 PM
Dont u Forget About Me was performed by Simple Minds but they did not write it.

I remember watching an interview with them saying they did it cuz the song fit their style.

But it was offered to Billy Idol first and he turned it down and I think Brian Ferry was offered it too.

But Simple Minds did a great version of it and were smart to say yes to the offer.