PDA

View Full Version : Terminator 5?

acealive1
07-Aug-2009, 11:23 PM
McG TAKES THE HEAT, BRINGS ON T5

"I'm concurrently prepping Terminator 5, another Terminator picture. So, we're cooking that up," the director/producer tells IESB.net. "For me, it's terribly exciting to get back out there and show a different face of that idea, and perhaps get out of the apocalyptic world and into a contemporary world. I think the audience is going to be very excited about our way in." He continues taking about taking criticism, "You take your lumps, if they don't like it, and you enjoy it a lot more when they do. We've all been on every side of that, and what can you do, but figure out what you did right and what you did wrong, look at it a little more closely, study the people that you look up to, and continue to evolve as a storyteller."

ProfessorChaos
08-Aug-2009, 01:04 AM
from what i've heard (and what McDouche says), they're going to have john connor coming back to the present time....t4 was bearable, but i seriously doubt i'd care to see t5 if they're going to stick with this shitty idea.

MinionZombie
08-Aug-2009, 08:47 AM
We just got into the apoc-world finally for a full feature, now he's running back to contempo-land, which they kept saying "the problem with the other movies is that they were all in the present day", and now they're gonna do the same damn thing.

The summary of the plot outline for T5 sounded gash the first, second and third time I read it.

T4 had its moments, and the final trailer was a stonker of a trailer alright, but the movie had many flaws, inconsistencies and stupid bits - it never gelled together throughout either.

krakenslayer
08-Aug-2009, 12:32 PM
So he's "learning from his mistakes"? Hopefully he'll learn not to make the next one a soulless CGI ADHD fest, with one dimensional characters and great ideas that are tossed away.

Best scene in T4 was the part with the T800 in the cyborg factory. It wasn't too coherent but it FELT like a scene from a Terminator movie, whereas everything else felt like a cross between The Matrix, Screamers and Transformers (or Transmorphers).

EvilNed
08-Aug-2009, 12:49 PM
Perhaps he's also learned too tell Christian Bale to shut up, if need be...

SymphonicX
08-Aug-2009, 01:08 PM
If he'd learned from his mistakes he'd fucking hang himself by now.

c**t.

MinionZombie
08-Aug-2009, 01:48 PM
Best scene in T4 was the part with the T800 in the cyborg factory. It wasn't too coherent but it FELT like a scene from a Terminator movie, whereas everything else felt like a cross between The Matrix, Screamers and Transformers (or Transmorphers).

And yet interestingly that was the bit which was essentially lifted verbatim from T1 ... or even T2, which both ended with battles in factories. Indeed, some of the shots in the final battle in the factory in T4 are identical to T1.

They kept banging on about not wanting to do what had been done before, yet seemed incapable of not caving in to their need to 'reference' the other movies constantly.

T4 had some great ideas, and even some great moments, and the look was almost ideal (except for those stupid CGI additions - and not a single ground HK!!! :eek::eek::eek: - seriously, WHERE WERE THEY?! - you can invent the Transforminator, but not bring back the awesome ground HK?! :mad:) ... ... and yet the whole pie was sullied with throwaway characters, cliches, and a pace that just felt like it was a bunch of disparate scenes vaguely glued together in a shape that sort of resembles a movie.

They should seriously just leave it alone now, and certainly not go back to the present day when we've just finally gotten an entire future-set feature! :eek:

Especially considering the end of T4:
When they basically say, 'well that's LA sorted, but what about the rest of the globe?'

Symph - :lol::elol::lol:

bassman
08-Aug-2009, 03:38 PM
I would rather someone else get a shot with Skynet, but Salvation wasn't so bad....

krakenslayer
08-Aug-2009, 04:47 PM
I would rather someone else get a shot with Skynet, but Salvation wasn't so bad....

It was passable as a popcorn action flick, but it was too OTT and dumbed town. What made Terminator 1, 2 and (to a lesser extent) 3, was the intellectual philosophical concepts, the complex emotional involvement with the characters, the gritty realism, the down-to-earth sci-fi concepts, the feeling that movie takes no prisoners and anything can happen, that bad-ass noir-ish industrial imagery... All of there were watered down or glossed over in T4. :(

MinionZombie
08-Aug-2009, 05:56 PM
It was passable as a popcorn action flick, but it was too OTT and dumbed town. What made Terminator 1, 2 and (to a lesser extent) 3, was the intellectual philosophical concepts, the complex emotional involvement with the characters, the gritty realism, the down-to-earth sci-fi concepts, the feeling that movie takes no prisoners and anything can happen, that bad-ass noir-ish industrial imagery... All of there were watered down or glossed over in T4. :(
And as Mark Kermode astutely said - T1 and T2 were sci-fi films about ideas, which is when sci-fi is at it's best - T4 is about explosions.

bassman
08-Aug-2009, 09:29 PM

Agreed. I guess that's what helped me get along with Salvation. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be anywhere near the awesomeness levels of Cameron's films. It had some good references and some good action, so it was worth one or two viewings, imo.

I actually had a friend tell me that he prefered Salvation over T2. I shit bricks....

krakenslayer
08-Aug-2009, 09:38 PM
Agreed. I guess that's what helped me get along with Salvation. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be anywhere near the awesomeness levels of Cameron's films. It had some good references and some good action, so it was worth one or two viewings, imo.

Yeah, I'll probably watch it again sometime - as you said, there were a few good scenes that made it at least watchable and saved it from being a total waste of time. I think McG genuinely tried to make a good Terminator film, I think he does enjoy the franchise and wants to honour it, but he critically misjudged the vital aspects that made the previous films great, and just failed to capture the magic. Maybe he tried too hard, but in the wrong way. And I think he knows that, now. That's not to say he's gonna do any better next time...

capncnut
08-Aug-2009, 10:37 PM
Especially considering the end of T4:
When they basically say, 'well that's LA sorted, but what about the rest of the globe?'
Yeah, that was a total 'groan' moment. :dead:

Never trust anyone with a name that sounds like a gangster rapper walking into a fast food joint.

acealive1
08-Aug-2009, 11:59 PM
Yeah, that was a total 'groan' moment. :dead:

Never trust anyone with a name that sounds like a gangster rapper walking into a fast food joint.

oh cmon. u fanboys clammored for a sequel for years since t2, u got it....still whined........got ANOTHER one...still whined... cameron could come back onboard and ghost direct the next one and you'd still say "eh, coulda been better"

EvilNed
09-Aug-2009, 12:51 AM
In many ways, I tend to agree. People, at least not on the internet, are never ever satisfied.

Same goes for games really. If a game is buggy? Then it's rushed and crappy. If a game is thoroughly playtested? Well, that means delays and we just can't have that!

With movies, it's more of complaining about films that nobody in the whoooole woooorld is forcing you too watch. Don't wanna watch Terminator 5? My tip is: Don't. :p

capncnut
09-Aug-2009, 01:29 AM
oh cmon. u fanboys clammored for a sequel for years since t2, u got it....still whined........got ANOTHER one...still whined... cameron could come back onboard and ghost direct the next one and you'd still say "eh, coulda been better"
I'm not a Terminator fanboy in the slightest. 1 and 2 are good. 3 and 4 are shit. I'm merely observing.

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I'll probably watch it again sometime - as you said, there were a few good scenes that made it at least watchable and saved it from being a total waste of time. I think McG genuinely tried to make a good Terminator film, I think he does enjoy the franchise and wants to honour it, but he critically misjudged the vital aspects that made the previous films great, and just failed to capture the magic. Maybe he tried too hard, but in the wrong way. And I think he knows that, now. That's not to say he's gonna do any better next time...
Pretty good surmation (sp?) all round there, chap.

Craig
09-Aug-2009, 12:51 PM
With movies, it's more of complaining about films that nobody in the whoooole woooorld is forcing you too watch. Don't wanna watch Terminator 5? My tip is: Don't. :p
While of course I'd encourage people to keep an open mind and see a film before they dis it, this is pretty much what I did with both T4 and Die Hard 4. Neither looked particularly good anyway, combine that with the fact I hold the first three Die Hards and the first two Terminators dear to my heart and it's just a recipe for disappointment.

EvilNed
09-Aug-2009, 01:01 PM
While of course I'd encourage people to keep an open mind and see a film before they dis it, this is pretty much what I did with both T4 and Die Hard 4. Neither looked particularly good anyway, combine that with the fact I hold the first three Die Hards and the first two Terminators dear to my heart and it's just a recipe for disappointment.

No, I know. I'm not saying people shouldn't diss shitty films. It's just dissing shitty films that haven't even been released yet that I don't get.

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm not a Terminator fanboy in the slightest. 1 and 2 are good. 3 and 4 are shit. I'm merely observing.
I love T1 and T2 - born from the mind of the creator himself.

T3 was utter garbage, real tripe. Wasn't fussed about it, saw it, thought it sucked the huge one and still think it's trash.

T4 - never asked for it, always knew it would be "meh" at best - I proved myself right. :p

T5 - not needed, just drop it now. Quite frankly the only Terminator really worth watching is from James Cameron. Notice how awesome T1 and T2 are ... and then compare it to T-571 (little pun there for anyone who gets it) and T4, which are utter audience rape at worst, and meh at best (respectively).

EvilNed
09-Aug-2009, 07:03 PM
Geez. People sure get riled up about movies. I haven't seen T4, and I probably won't for awhile. But you take films way too seriously, especially crappy popcorn flicks. Let's face it, really. T1 wasn't a masterpiece. Infact, it's as average for an 80's actionflick as they go. And T3 is as average as a 00's actionflick goes. T2 is the only real good one, but it easily has the worst dialoge of the bunch.

darth los
09-Aug-2009, 07:09 PM
Geez. People sure get riled up about movies. I haven't seen T4, and I probably won't for awhile. But you take films way too seriously, especially crappy popcorn flicks. Let's face it, really. T1 wasn't a masterpiece. Infact, it's as average for an 80's actionflick as they go. And T3 is as average as a 00's actionflick goes. T2 is the only real good one, but it easily has the worst dialoge of the bunch.

Well, whenever one has a passion for something they take it seriously. With some of us it's spoorts. And it's almost always for somethings that's really inconsequential in the big scheme of things. For example, Manchester U could never win another game again and it really wouldn't matter but it still hurts.

:cool:

EvilNed
09-Aug-2009, 07:33 PM
Right, but that's not the same thing as to get pissed off at another sequel coming out when one can just as simply ignore it. I love movies, I collect them and I've got a couple of hundreds of them now. My general opinion is that movies thesedays simply aren't that good, but hey, that'll pass. But I don't get riled up when bad movies are released, because bad films have been released since the dawn of film.

acealive1
09-Aug-2009, 08:46 PM
In many ways, I tend to agree. People, at least not on the internet, are never ever satisfied.

Same goes for games really. If a game is buggy? Then it's rushed and crappy. If a game is thoroughly playtested? Well, that means delays and we just can't have that!

totally agree with you here. same with ur post on th next page. terminator 1 was not ben hur meets the apocalypse by any stretch and ur right, basic 80's action flick. people are doing the same thing with GI joe and dont even consider the source first.........cartoon.....

EvilNed
09-Aug-2009, 09:02 PM
Exactly. People like the "source" because of nostalgia. Have you seen the G.I. Joe cartoons lately? They're shit! Or at least wrapped in shit. But we have fond memories of them, same with Terminator 1. Heck. Try this out as an experiment:

When you get a child, let Terminator 3 be one of his childhood films. He'll love it and have fond memories from it. Then when he sees Terminator 1 later on, he won't be that impressed.

bassman
09-Aug-2009, 09:18 PM
The nostalgia of Salvation was probably the best part.:p

Imo, it's worth seeing for the young Kyle Reese, the rubber skinned T600's and the introduction of the T800 model. The rest is just filler.

I'm interested to see how McG(ugh) handles bringing back the T1000.:rockbrow:

acealive1
09-Aug-2009, 09:33 PM
Exactly. People like the "source" because of nostalgia. Have you seen the G.I. Joe cartoons lately? They're shit! Or at least wrapped in shit. But we have fond memories of them, same with Terminator 1. Heck. Try this out as an experiment:

When you get a child, let Terminator 3 be one of his childhood films. He'll love it and have fond memories from it. Then when he sees Terminator 1 later on, he won't be that impressed.

true. people set sick goals for something that was made from a cartoon and they go 'well, heavy duty wasnt supposed to be in this, its really roadblock" "oh and snake eyes' costume isnt exact" WTF

i think we all learned from the original fantastic four and xmen movies that bright yellow and green outfits wont work

bassman
09-Aug-2009, 09:45 PM
i think we all learned from the original fantastic four and xmen movies that bright yellow and green outfits wont work

What about Richard Donner's Superman: The Movie? Bright yellow belt, bright red undies, and blue spandex. And it's still one of the best(if not THE best) comic-to-film adaptations around....

As for the goals that the fans set....yeah, they're often too harsh but these are also the people that support the franchise. The films should be made for them first and foremost.

acealive1
09-Aug-2009, 11:26 PM
What about Richard Donner's Superman: The Movie? Bright yellow belt, bright red undies, and blue spandex. And it's still one of the best(if not THE best) comic-to-film adaptations around....

As for the goals that the fans set....yeah, they're often too harsh but these are also the people that support the franchise. The films should be made for them first and foremost.

the 70's were a weird time

EvilNed
10-Aug-2009, 12:16 AM

Really? Heh. Well, agree to disagree. I think all the original Superman movies are... cute, but nowhere near great.

DubiousComforts
10-Aug-2009, 02:52 AM
That scene was pretty good, but I really liked the scene with Conner fighting the half-endoskeleton by the downed chopper. It had a real gritty feel to it and at that point, I was thinking the rest of the film might really be something.

cameron could come back onboard and ghost direct the next one and you'd still say "eh, coulda been better"
If Cameron also ghost-writes the next one, I'd be glad to let them test this theory on me.

Doc
10-Aug-2009, 03:10 AM
I know I'm going to be chased by pitchforks and torches but, the heck with it.....I enjoy Terminator 3.:eek:

Yes, yes I know its not a good film but, I find it highly entertaining and fun. There I said it.:shifty:

No, offense to the first ones but, I don't honesty think T3 and T4 are crapping on flawless masterpieces. All the Terminators had flaws.

MinionZombie
10-Aug-2009, 10:02 AM
I know I'm going to be chased by pitchforks and torches but, the heck with it.....I enjoy Terminator 3.:eek:

Yes, yes I know its not a good film but, I find it highly entertaining and fun. There I said it.:shifty:

No, offense to the first ones but, I don't honesty think T3 and T4 are crapping on flawless masterpieces. All the Terminators had flaws.
*starts sharpening the ol' pitch fork* :sneaky::D

acealive1
10-Aug-2009, 09:43 PM
That scene was pretty good, but I really liked the scene with Conner fighting the half-endoskeleton by the downed chopper. It had a real gritty feel to it and at that point, I was thinking the rest of the film might really be something.

If Cameron also ghost-writes the next one, I'd be glad to let them test this theory on me.

question, what do u think of maximum overdrive?

bassman
10-Aug-2009, 10:29 PM
All the Terminators had flaws.

I think you'll convince people of that as easily as you will that Dawn and Day have flaws.:p

capncnut
10-Aug-2009, 11:21 PM
question, what do u think of maximum overdrive?
I know that was not directed at me but yeah, I like that flick a lot Frehley.

MinionZombie
11-Aug-2009, 09:23 AM
I think you'll convince people of that as easily as you will that Dawn and Day have flaws.:p
The point is - do the flaws matter, and indeed, how big are said flaws?

With T1 and T2, most certainly not.

With T3, most certainly yes, mofo.

With T4, again, definitely yes.

Doc
11-Aug-2009, 04:43 PM
The point is - do the flaws matter, and indeed, how big are said flaws?

With T1 and T2, most certainly not.

With T3, most certainly yes, mofo.

With T4, again, definitely yes.

Yes, your right. T1 is still supreme though. In my eyes anyway.

EvilNed
11-Aug-2009, 08:03 PM

Oh come on. That's unfair. We all know those films are perfect.

Cartma7546
12-Aug-2009, 11:34 PM
Yes, your right. T1 is still supreme though. In my eyes anyway.

Im just going to throw this out there but i think T2 is in the same ball park as Empire and Aliens where they surpass the first movie. T1 was good but T2 was just epic. I understand where you're coming from but the part where they are in the LA river...i nearly jizzed my pants when i saw it. Nothing like that in T1

As for T4 it was okay, better than three which really didn't have to be made, it was basically T2 with an extended ending, four had its moments like when Bale blasts the terminator with the m60, that was cool. What i hated was that the movie was more focused on Marcus and not Conner, and where were the night battles that we saw in the flashbacks Kyle had in the first one. I hope they re-wright this script because it sounds as bad as putting Goku in high school.....*sigggghhhhh*

clanglee
12-Aug-2009, 11:59 PM
it sounds as bad as putting Goku in high school.....*sigggghhhhh*

You had me until this. . . ????

Doc
13-Aug-2009, 01:35 AM
I understand where you're coming from but the part where they are in the LA river...i nearly jizzed my pants when i saw it. Nothing like that in T1

I guess I liked, T1 the best since, I found it a better SCIFI film. I digged its grittiness and frightining atmosphere more then T2 which, seemed to have a Hollywood action kinda atmosphere atleast to me. Make no mistake though, I'm not calling it a typical Hollywood action film. Its fu*king awesome. My second favorite.:)

I hope they re-wright this script because it sounds as bad as putting Goku in high school.....*sigggghhhhh*

DBZ Goku?:confused:

Cartma7546
13-Aug-2009, 02:08 AM
The very same

ProfessorChaos
13-Aug-2009, 08:04 AM
i'd have to agree with the young doc that t1 trumps t2....t2 just feels too sequel-y and formula-tic...i recall loving t2 as a kid (saw in theaters in florida), but these days would rather watch t1 over any other terminator film any day...

back on topic, though, if they stick with the idea of sending connor back to modern times (prior to judgement day), i get the feeling that this film will be worse than t3 even...:|

just get to the epic levels of bad-assery present in the future battle scenes from t1&2, complete with all the lasers and night setting...