PDA

View Full Version : "Survival" to play Fantastic Fest also

thxleo
11-Aug-2009, 03:44 AM
If you live in Austin, TX or nearby you will get the chance to check out Romero's latest...
http://blog.fantasticfest.com/?p=444

capncnut
11-Aug-2009, 04:32 AM
I dont live anywhere near but thanks for the article, Lee. Nice read.

MinionZombie
11-Aug-2009, 06:58 PM
Remember that sort of trailer that ran for just over a minute a while back that Voltage wasn't supposed to put out and then got taken down? Well it's officially back, although they don't seem to have spruced it up as it still says "in production" at the end, and the foley hasn't been done yet, nor does it appear to be coloured completely ... still though, it confirms my "so up for this"-edness. :cool:

http://fantasticfest.bside.com/2009/films/survivalofthedead_fantasticfest2009

krakenslayer
11-Aug-2009, 07:20 PM
"In 2007, Fantastic Fest was honored by the presence of one of the true masters of horror, George A. Romero. Now, two years later, we are thrilled to welcome back the undisputed champion of all things undead for his latest blood-drenched thrillride, SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD. When the idyllic retreat of Plum Island falls victim to the zombie plague, a new breed of clan war breaks out. On one side is the camp who want to exterminate all undead with a wickedly diverse array of brain-splattering headshots. On the other, devoted family members take the stance that “zombie-ism” is a disease, the undead have rights and they must be kept alive until a cure is found. Unable to simply “agree to disagree,” the two clans go to war and make their island microcosm a whole hell of a lot bloodier. An undead parallel to the tribal wars that are plaguing our own society today, SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD exposes the futility of such conflict and the need for tolerance of the beliefs of others. Plus it’s got zombie horses in it!"

:eek::stunned::confused:

AcesandEights
11-Aug-2009, 07:28 PM
"In 2007, Fantastic Fest was honored by the presence of one of the true masters of horror, George A. Romero. Now, two years later, we are thrilled to welcome back the undisputed champion of all things undead for his latest blood-drenched thrillride, SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD. When the idyllic retreat of Plum Island falls victim to the zombie plague, a new breed of clan war breaks out. On one side is the camp who want to exterminate all undead with a wickedly diverse array of brain-splattering headshots. On the other, devoted family members take the stance that “zombie-ism” is a disease, the undead have rights and they must be kept alive until a cure is found. Unable to simply “agree to disagree,” the two clans go to war and make their island microcosm a whole hell of a lot bloodier. An undead parallel to the tribal wars that are plaguing our own society today, SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD exposes the futility of such conflict and the need for tolerance of the beliefs of others. Plus it’s got zombie horses in it!"

:eek::stunned::confused:

:confused:Yeah, I know.

I just got less excited about this film. But maybe it won't be as heavy handed and poorly handled as it sounds.

An undead parallel to the tribal wars that are plaguing our own society today, SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD exposes the futility of such conflict and the need for tolerance of the beliefs of others. Plus it’s got zombie horses in it!
:annoyed: Damn, who was it who called it on the vega-pygmy angle? :rolleyes:

capncnut
11-Aug-2009, 08:04 PM
http://fantasticfest.bside.com/2009/films/survivalofthedead_fantasticfest2009
It's different, I'll give it that.

darth los
11-Aug-2009, 08:17 PM
Imo, GAr is a master of taking the relevant issues of the day and then using the dead films as a vehicle for satire and social commentary.

He beat us in the head with the last one but he's a smart, talented man and I'm sure he'll learn from it and make a better film.

Let's not forget that, with the last 3 films, this is a new format for him so I totally expect him to have a learning curve.

:cool:

Neil
11-Aug-2009, 08:34 PM
On the other, devoted family members take the stance that “zombie-ism” is a disease, the undead have rights and they must be kept alive until a cure is found.This sounds daft and contrived... A cure for rotted, dead corpses? Hmm... Sounds poor!

darth los
11-Aug-2009, 08:41 PM
This sounds daft and contrived... A cure for rotted, dead corpses? Hmm... Sounds poor!

I could totally see that. But I doubt someone will come up with a cure in the movie. Rather, I picture that there's just these folks holding out hope that their loved ones can be helped. A good example from the series is Cooper and and his daughter in the remake.

Imo, the idea to portray people doing that isn't dumb it's the people themselves. Icould definitely see some doing that if the situation arose. GAr is just telling that side of the story.

bassman
11-Aug-2009, 08:44 PM
This sounds daft and contrived... A cure for rotted, dead corpses? Hmm... Sounds poor!

Sounds pretty similar to the projects in Dawn, imo. Why were they keeping them caged? They're dead....pop em in the head and be done with it. Instead they chained, wrapped, and bagged them. Keeping them for dinner? :p

I found a news site today that has posted up that production trailer as if it's new. Man....time for an official trailer and name. Past time for it, actually...

thxleo
11-Aug-2009, 09:08 PM
There are those out there that think like some of the characters in "Survival". Some of them have LOTS of money and put it to use like this company for example...http://www.alcor.org/ Legendary baseball player Ted Williams is their most famous "client". I could easily see people behaving in real life, like they do in Romero's films.
Oh yeah, almost forgot - "Survival of the Dead" is the official title. Jesus.

bassman
11-Aug-2009, 10:58 PM
Oh yeah, almost forgot - "Survival of the Dead" is the official title. Jesus.

Did Nicotero or Romero tell you that while you were going down on them?:p

Show me a poster, trailer, or press release that says it's the title. Otherwise it might as well still be Diary 2.

capncnut
12-Aug-2009, 01:18 AM
Well, if Romero himself has decided to unveil the movie at TIFF as Survival Of The Dead then that's pretty much the official title.

thxleo
12-Aug-2009, 03:55 AM
Did Nicotero or Romero tell you that while you were going down on them?:p

Show me a poster, trailer, or press release that says it's the title. Otherwise it might as well still be Diary 2.

Really good retort bassman. It's always interesting reading your thought provoking posts.

I think you might be on to something though. Romero and Grunwald are probably just testing the waters on the title of "Survival", you know, to see what the fans think. :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2009, 10:02 AM

I could totally see that. But I doubt someone will come up with a cure in the movie. Rather, I picture that there's just these folks holding out hope that their loved ones can be helped. A good example from the series is Cooper and and his daughter in the remake.

Imo, the idea to portray people doing that isn't dumb it's the people themselves. Icould definitely see some doing that if the situation arose. GAr is just telling that side of the story.

Sounds pretty similar to the projects in Dawn, imo. Why were they keeping them caged? They're dead....pop em in the head and be done with it. Instead they chained, wrapped, and bagged them. Keeping them for dinner? :p

I found a news site today that has posted up that production trailer as if it's new. Man....time for an official trailer and name. Past time for it, actually...

Indeed, I doubt there will actually be a cure in the movie - just people seeking one ... kinda like in that one movie ... what was it called? Damn, it's on the tip of my tongue ... ... ... oh yeah - DAY OF THE DEAD. :p:sneaky::D

*puts on his Michael Winner mask*

Calm down, Neil. ;)

Trial or not, I think they should have left it as "...of the Dead", it's cheeky, but also a little thoughtful, and weirdly original by not being 'something of the dead', if you get me.

Regardless, re-watching that "in production" clip assembly (even though it's unfinished footage) has gotten me hot & bothered for it again, yes siree.

bassman
12-Aug-2009, 11:53 AM
Really good retort bassman. It's always interesting reading your thought provoking posts.

Glad I can be of service!;)

I think you might be on to something though. Romero and Grunwald are probably just testing the waters on the title of "Survival", you know, to see what the fans think. :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that word-of-mouth isn't really proof. But we've been through all that. The main thing is....I just want a trailer and poster.:cool:

DubiousComforts
12-Aug-2009, 06:21 PM
Did Nicotero or Romero tell you that while you were going down on them?
In what sort of bizzaro, f*ckd-up universe is it considered a good idea to post something like that?

The distributor is ultimately responsible for the trailer and/or promotion. Even so, what difference does it make if the film plays at festivals as "Survival..." and is later changed when a distributor gets their hands on it?

Having some semblance of priorities in life can be a good thing.

darth los
12-Aug-2009, 06:47 PM
In what sort of bizzaro, f*ckd-up universe is it considered a good idea to post something like that?

The distributor is ultimately responsible for the trailer and/or promotion. Even so, what difference does it make if the film plays at festivals as "Survival..." and is later changed when a distributor gets their hands on it?

I agree. That might very well be the name for now but it's far from the point of no return where they have to stick with it. Anyone knows when that might be by the way?

bassman
12-Aug-2009, 06:51 PM

Relax, chief. Twas just a joke.;)

kortick
12-Aug-2009, 07:13 PM
Well i hope u are not just realising that
this is a bizzaro f*cked up universe and has
been for a very long time.

I think it was a fair question, all things considered.
(like his slamming of Bassman in another post)
and seeing how Leo (Diet-Khardis) made it quite clear how
he didnt care what I thought or said, he gave me
free reign to say whatever I want about him. He did.
So, I need to correct u Bassman.
He wasnt going down on them, he was bent over.
He needed his mouth free to conduct an interview.

Your making lots of friends here Leo (Diet-Khardis).

oh...and i dont like the idea of zombie horses.
and the title is kinda dumb.

clanglee
12-Aug-2009, 07:26 PM
(Diet-Khardis) .

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh and . . . . . .

Post 2000 bitches!!!!!!!!!!

AcesandEights
12-Aug-2009, 07:59 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

That did get a chuckle out of me, too.

Post 2000 bitches!!!!!!!!!!
Very nice!

As far as the movie is concerned, I do agree with Darth that there is some hope, but the way the blurb for the film I quoted earlier made me feel was that Survival might be like Land and Diary in that they are nothing more than a pretext at deeper films, telegraphing their 'deep' and 'meaningful' points.

I hope to see skillfully handled subtext.

darth los
12-Aug-2009, 08:22 PM
That did get a chuckle out of me, too.

Very nice!

As far as the movie is concerned, I do agree with Darth that there is some hope, but the way the blurb for the film I quoted earlier made me feel was that Survival might be like Land and Diary in that they are nothing more than a pretext at deeper films, telegraphing their 'deep' and 'meaningful' points.

Well, as I said earlier, hopefuly the man has learned his lesson. We don't need to be beat in the head every 15 minutes with the theme of the movie.

It's like a joke that you have to sit there and explain after you've delivered the punchline. It ceases to be what was intended.

That precious time could be used for other things like I don't know...CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT MAYBE! Which by the way was practically non existent in diary and isn't that one of the things hat we all love about the original trilogy?

clanglee
12-Aug-2009, 08:22 PM

Keep hope alive!!!

But be prepared for reality.

thxleo
13-Aug-2009, 04:45 AM
this is a bizzaro f*cked up universe and has
been for a very long time.

I think it was a fair question, all things considered.
(like his slamming of Bassman in another post)
and seeing how Leo (Diet-Khardis) made it quite clear how
he didnt care what I thought or said, he gave me
free reign to say whatever I want about him. He did.
So, I need to correct u Bassman.
He wasnt going down on them, he was bent over.
He needed his mouth free to conduct an interview.

Your making lots of friends here Leo (Diet-Khardis).

oh...and i dont like the idea of zombie horses.
and the title is kinda dumb.

I don't worry about making friends on the internet, especially ones like you or bassman(to name a couple) who can't really debate me on any point, so they throw out crude and idiotic posts. It would have been so easy to come back with a similar crude reply, but what's the point?

ProfessorChaos
13-Aug-2009, 08:16 AM
don't you think that after a while, the family members would realize that not much can be done to bring back their dead loved ones? about as lame as cholo's ransom demands and jason's camera obsession....

...and really, living dead horses? fuck that stupid shit...."meh" readings now at record levels for this film...i'll probably see it in the theaters, but may end up leaving this one out of the dvd collection....even "completionist's rationale" can only go so far.....zombie horses....give me a break.:annoyed:

EDIT: and i'm in no way taking sides or getting involved, but that "diet-khardis" shit is too funny...

kortick
13-Aug-2009, 08:20 AM
Friends?
I pity anyone who has u for a friend.

Ill make this so simple even you
can understand Diet-Khardis:

You are an asshole,
and a douche bag.

Me. I am a rotten bastard and worse, I freely admit it.

But if u can't get along with Bassman who is
one of the easiest people to get along with
then there really is something wrong with you.

My apologies to everyone else for interupting this
thread. I will not do so again.

U can reply if u want Diet Khardis but it won't be read
by me. But do waste ur time if u feel like it.

bassman
13-Aug-2009, 11:43 AM
don't you think that after a while, the family members would realize that not much can be done to bring back their dead loved ones? about as lame as cholo's ransom demands and jason's camera obsession....

Obviously I haven't seen the film, but if it's how I imagine it...I could see how some people would try it. Especially mothers and fathers with their children. Of course it seems ridiculous to zombie fans like us, but you've got to remember that it's really easy for some people to snap under extreme situations, ya know?

Ever heard of a mother going into a sort of catatonic state after her child dies and not wanting to let the body go? I kinda relate it to that. If that makes sense...

Jamn
13-Aug-2009, 01:15 PM
I live in the Austin area and will try to go see it. I know the tickets for Tarantino's movie tomorrow are $100 a piece. I don't know how much the badges are so I'll have to check. Be cool to see Romero but I would be mad if the movie sucks. I remember when Blair Witch came out in Austin I was very disappointed after driving during my lunch break into downtown to get tickets and drag my girlfriend who hates horror movies to go see it for her to get a headache from the shakey cameras. It was not worth it. Since then I don't get hyped about movies, I can wait for the dvd to come out.

bassman
13-Aug-2009, 02:03 PM
I live in the Austin area and will try to go see it. I know the tickets for Tarantino's movie tomorrow are $100 a piece. I don't know how much the badges are so I'll have to check. Be cool to see Romero but I would be mad if the movie sucks.

100 bucks? Romero will be there? I guess this is some sort of premiere?

thxleo
13-Aug-2009, 02:31 PM
Friends?
I pity anyone who has u for a friend.

Ill make this so simple even you
can understand Diet-Khardis:

You are an asshole,
and a douche bag.

Me. I am a rotten bastard and worse, I freely admit it.

But if u can't get along with Bassman who is
one of the easiest people to get along with
then there really is something wrong with you.

My apologies to everyone else for interupting this
thread. I will not do so again.

U can reply if u want Diet Khardis but it won't be read
by me. But do waste ur time if u feel like it.

Every post you make aimed at me makes me laugh. I have this image of Kermit saying those things. Seriously though, I don't understand how the mods let posts like this one go. This post does not fall under "flaming"? Okay.
You did get one thing right in your post though, you certainly are a rotten bastard. No argument from me.

DubiousComforts
13-Aug-2009, 03:20 PM
this is a bizzaro f*cked up universe and has been for a very long time.
Then forgive me for refusing to pander to the lowest moronic denominator. No wait... on second thought, don't forgive me.

While I seldom agree with thxleo politically, that's no excuse to the join the obvious race to see who can act like the biggest tool in this forum. These poor attempts at homo-humor lack the wit of South Park, so it's time to get yourselves some new material.

capncnut
13-Aug-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't want to close the thread or warn anyone but I'm going to if I see any more flaming or namecalling.

I can show you the official George A. Romero myspace if it helps.

Clicky (http://www.myspace.com/officialgeorgeromero).

And there's this quote from the man himself.

Hi guys,

Some of you have been asking about the title of my new film. I called it "Survival of the Dead" because it's about a group of people who escape to a place they think is safe - an island where they hope to survive the war between the living and the dead.

That's how the story begins. By the end, something happens that makes the word "survival" take on a whole new meaning. I'm not going to give it away now.

Stay Scared,

George Romero

bassman
13-Aug-2009, 03:42 PM

Cool. I had never seen that. Thanks.:thumbsup:

MinionZombie
13-Aug-2009, 04:53 PM
Well I'm glad the man himself put a bit of explanation towards it.

I still prefer "...of the Dead" though.

DubiousComforts
13-Aug-2009, 05:16 PM
"By the end, something happens that makes the word "survival" take on a whole new meaning. I'm not going to give it away now." - G. Romero

Now here's a thought: shut your collective pie-holes until you've actually seen the freakin' movie. At least that's how we used to enjoy a new George Romero film back in the 70s and 80s. It worked back then, certainly it can work now.

Thanks for that link, cap. You're the voice of reason, as usual.

darth los
13-Aug-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't want to close the thread or warn anyone but I'm going to if I see any more flaming or namecalling.

And there's this quote from the man himself.

That's intersting. In many zombie flicks it's always the master plan to escape to "an island,any island", the rationale being it would be generaly safer there. I guess it's not the cure all it was made out to be in other films.

BillyRay
13-Aug-2009, 05:27 PM
Now here's a thought: shut your collective pie-holes until you've actually seen the freakin' movie. At least that's how we used to enjoy a new George Romero film back in the 70s and 80s. It worked back then, certainly it can work now.

http://riveraveblues.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/golf-clap.jpg

Trin
13-Aug-2009, 05:47 PM
:annoyed: Damn, who was it who called it on the vega-pygmy angle? :rolleyes:I believe that was my addition to this fine forum. And I stand by it.

Sounds pretty similar to the projects in Dawn, imo. Why were they keeping them caged? They're dead....pop em in the head and be done with it. Instead they chained, wrapped, and bagged them. Keeping them for dinner? :pI guess I see this as a bit different. In the Dawn projects they were early in the phenomenon and the people were displayed as not really thinking about it. They were emotionally clinging to a position of unreality. They didn't seem to be awaiting a cure so much as they were unsure what to do with their dead but didn't like the idea of strangers carting them off to be burned or shot in the head. The attitude was that there's still respect in dying, not that they were clinging to hope.

I don't see that kind of situation persisting to the point that rational, thinking men take up arms to protect their animated dead. And I don't see anyone really believing that a cure is forthcoming. The ghouls are simply an abomination of human life. No pulse, rotting flesh, cannibalistic cravings - who clings to hope in that? Salvation for these souls would more likely come from an exorcism than from a medical cure.

I hope to see skillfully handled subtext.Says in his best Riley voice, "That's what I like about you Aces, you still believe in skillfully handled subtext."

I am seriously considering going to see this movie drunk. That will effectively turn off my brain so I won't mentally pick it apart for plot development and it will also numb me to any social beatings I might otherwise endure. The only downside will be all the other theater patrons who will have to deal with my drunk-ass - oh, wait, there won't be anyone else there.

DubiousComforts
15-Aug-2009, 03:09 AM
I am seriously considering going to see this movie drunk. That will effectively turn off my brain so I won't mentally pick it apart for plot development and it will also numb me to any social beatings.
Why not just apply whatever meaning you like to the film if it will make you feel better? Better yet, just pretend that there is no commentary. People have already done that with the original DAWN and it only took 30 years or so. I say why wait when you can start right now?

triste realtà
18-Aug-2009, 02:02 AM
"By the end, something happens that makes the word "survival" take on a whole new meaning. I'm not going to give it away now."

ZOMBIE BABIES!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dead:

clanglee
18-Aug-2009, 02:37 AM

Yeah, good luck with that one.

That was before the internet. And yes all you young folk. . there was a BEFORE the internet.:D

Trin
18-Aug-2009, 02:36 PM
Why not just apply whatever meaning you like to the film if it will make you feel better? Better yet, just pretend that there is no commentary. People have already done that with the original DAWN and it only took 30 years or so. I say why wait when you can start right now?
The great thing about history is how often it changes.