PDA

View Full Version : what about the mountains

12-Aug-2009, 01:45 AM
has anybody ever thought about going to the mountains during the outbreak? now i'm not talking about mt. everast but some mt range that you can hold up below the tree line and grow food or hunt and not freeze do death in the winter. granted this wouldn't do for everybody but people that can survive in the wild should consider this. think about it there won't be many people around dead or alive because its such tough terrain, some mt have lakes full of fish to eat and water to drink, and if you choose the right place it should be easy to defend. just something to consider.

Slain
12-Aug-2009, 04:12 AM
Yeah, but if you live in the wilderness you can't step outside your hideout whenever you want, and kill zombies for the hell of it like Billy Badass.

SRP76
12-Aug-2009, 06:10 AM
This could work if all of the following happen:

1. You have the gear to hunt/fish/plant crops/camp
2. You already know exactly where these mountains that just happen to have a fish-filled lake nearby and fertile soil are
3. You can fight your way there through the zombie hordes from wherever you are in the first place
4. You can keep any zombies from following you there
5. You can prevent any other survivors doing any of the above, and getting there first/taking it from you

That's a tall order.

Slain
12-Aug-2009, 10:11 AM
The mountains would be a deathtraps due to the high probability of forest fire.

krakenslayer
12-Aug-2009, 10:59 AM
I think the mountainous highlands of my native Scotland would be an awesome place to take refuge (provided the entire population of the UK didn't decide to relocate there, and even then it would be a lot safer than the cities.

There are forests but also lots of wide open spaces of boggy, barren, hilly terrain that would be almost impossible for lumbering, scrambling stenches to traverse, but not terribly difficult for your average nimble adult human. The earth is just fertile enough to grow basic crops and veg (as our subsistence-farming ancestors did) and there are wild deer and other animals to hunt. Many parts of the highlands are incredibly remote, and zombies would be unlikely to wander there over time, or travel far if they do start out there, due to the unfavourable terrain. Forest fires are not a problem as the highlands have a very wet climate.

sandrock74
12-Aug-2009, 10:46 PM
Are forest fires in moutainous terrain a big threat? I thought that was only in the region west of the Rockies. I know here in Michigan, a forest fire is almost unheard of.

SRP76
12-Aug-2009, 10:59 PM
Are forest fires in moutainous terrain a big threat?

They'll only be a real threat if you happen to get eaten while the rest of us run for the mountains. Because ONLY YOU can prevent forest fires.

krakenslayer
13-Aug-2009, 07:11 AM
They'll only be a real threat if you happen to get eaten while the rest of us run for the mountains. Because ONLY YOU can prevent forest fires.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was pretty good. :D

Trencher
13-Aug-2009, 08:18 PM
The montains would provide refuge to people who have the skills to live off the land like hunters and fishermen. Most people would starve unfortunally.

Bone Daddy
13-Aug-2009, 08:24 PM
You'd have to be be pretty self-sufficient to live in relative isolation of a mountain landscape. You'd be away from the major population centers,so your chances of survival may be increased, if you can withstand the elements and provide for the basics of survival.

I have a small place in the Catskill mountains and always do bit of dark fantasizing on how I'd fortify it and ride out a Zombie apocalypse.

Some people day dream of winning Lotto-this is what I do....:D

bassman
13-Aug-2009, 08:46 PM
Some people day dream of winning Lotto-this is what I do....:D

I think all of us here plan it out, man.:p

AcesandEights
13-Aug-2009, 09:36 PM
Several people will have the same idea and that is one of the major issues. Also, while the relative peace and isolation of a mountain setting has a lot of pluses for someone already there, anyone who chooses to flee to such a place may have a rough time with the locals. Sure, it's a big wilderness and that may not be an issue, but these are some of the negatives that pop into my mind.

That said, I'd rather be in the Adirondacks than Westchester county or--god forbid--Midtown Manhattan (where I work :() when the shit hits the fan.

sandrock74
13-Aug-2009, 10:59 PM

Damn! Talk about pressure! If the zombies get ME, then NO ONE will be able to prevent forest fires, as only I can do it. You'd all die in a blazing inferno that would spread over the entire surface of the planet! Even over the oceans!

That said, I'd rather be in the Adirondacks than Westchester county or--god forbid--Midtown Manhattan (where I work :() when the shit hits the fan.

Yes, there is an advantage if you're someplace isolated when it all goes down. Youd have the relative luxuray of "seeing it coming", as opposed to being in the middle of it.

How many people would be that lucky thou?

14-Aug-2009, 01:52 AM
if you think about it though only the strongest will trully be able to survive a world wide zombie outbreak and if it were to really happen we would pretty much have to stop thinking in the way we do now and more or less live like our ancestors did. greanted they didn't have zombies but looking back in history theres be alot of tribes of people that survived being in the mts. you have the high ground and can see threats coming from way off usually and not all mts are balls freezing cold in the winter. its true that u need certain skills to survive in the mts but u would need them anywhere if this were to happen...lets face it a stock broker from new york prolly aint gonna make it no matter where he is when it goes down but a true survivelist in the sticks could make it to the mts and live just fine i think.

Bone Daddy
14-Aug-2009, 07:55 AM
I think all of us here plan it out, man.:p

I concur. Hey, best be prepared for anything!

Trin
14-Aug-2009, 05:29 PM
Look at the Ozark mountains. Very inhospitable to foot traffic. Decent climate. Good growing areas. Lots of fish/deer. Forest fires aren't really a problem. Good access to local colleges (cause you're gonna need educational books to transition from short to long term survival). Lots of little towns dotting the area for scavenging. Very few large towns or cities. There is a dam if you ever get to the point where you could consider power generation. A great deal of the area is interconnected via rivers which provide safe transportation.

I don't see why setting up a base in the mountains precludes making runs into civilization. You don't have to be a mountain man survivalist guy. It's not like a zombie horde is going to follow you 50 miles through mountain roads. They aren't bloodhounds. And if they didn't stick to the roads they're just done. They won't be able to navigate the forests, hills, gullies, creeks, etc.

FoodFight
14-Aug-2009, 11:19 PM
It's not like a zombie horde is going to follow you 50 miles through mountain roads. They aren't bloodhounds. And if they didn't stick to the roads they're just done. They won't be able to navigate the forests, hills, gullies, creeks, etc.

Except that in 'Night' swarms were drawn to an isolated farmhouse with only a modicum of external stimulus. I doubt that anywhere in a Romeroesque universe would be truly 'safe', which leads to a deeper dimension to the horror.

Slain
15-Aug-2009, 01:23 AM
If the hills/mountains are so great for surviving in, why did all local people living there get wiped out in the first place?

FoodFight
15-Aug-2009, 01:34 AM
....because 'The Hills Have Eyes'.

Slain
15-Aug-2009, 02:46 AM

Yeah, and weird shit happens up in 'em too :shifty:

Bone Daddy
15-Aug-2009, 02:47 PM

Oh, great, now have to worry about the cannibalistic living ah, I'm going to the moon...

sandrock74
15-Aug-2009, 07:59 PM
Oh, great, now have to worry about the cannibalistic living ah, I'm going to the moon...

Any astronauts and/or cosmonauts aboard the international space station would be safe.

Bone Daddy
15-Aug-2009, 08:52 PM
Hopefully, in space, no one can hear you ...munch...!

Slain
17-Aug-2009, 03:50 AM
The crew on the ISS would have to evacuate on the Soyuz space capsule they keep at the space station when their food ran out. I doubt a Soyuz capsule could be steered with the accuracy needed to land it on a small island, so these space travelers would be stranded on the mainland somewhere with little chance of rescue, no guns, and grossly weakened muscles from zero-gee living in space. Not exactly a situation I would like to be in.

Trin
17-Aug-2009, 02:48 PM
Except that in 'Night' swarms were drawn to an isolated farmhouse with only a modicum of external stimulus. I doubt that anywhere in a Romeroesque universe would be truly 'safe', which leads to a deeper dimension to the horror.Every time I attempt to bring up the swarms in Night as proof that zombies can sense humans over long distances I get shouted down with people saying that the "isolated" farmhouse was probably really close to a more populated area.

But I stand by my point. In the mountains the sparsity of population and the inhospitable terrain would be ample protection from hordes of zombies.

If the hills/mountains are so great for surviving in, why did all local people living there get wiped out in the first place?Who says they did? No one went looking for them and even if they did it's unlikely someone who is good at surviving in isolation would come out at the first sign of humans.

sandrock74
17-Aug-2009, 07:50 PM
In World War Z, the Rockie Mountains kept the american west coast reasonably safe from the big zombie hoedown. There is something to be said for natural barriers.

FoodFight
17-Aug-2009, 10:47 PM
Every time I attempt to bring up the swarms in Night as proof that zombies can sense humans over long distances I get shouted down with people saying that the "isolated" farmhouse was probably really close to a more populated area.

Night also showed that in one instance 3 zombies were trying to break into an empty shed. No humans there, so why did they do it? They also vacated the farmhouse even though Ben was only a short distance (in the cellar) from them. If they sensed his presence, it couldn't have been that enticing as they gave up in fairly short order. Further, they show even more unpredictability toward the end of the movie when they are faced with a great deal of stimulus (skirmish line of rednecks, truck traffic and the news helicopter) but move away from said stimulus, then immediately thereafter turn toward humans who are shooting at them.

What I'm getting at here is that they show more randomness than they are given credit for and to my mind, it makes for a scarier ghoul who will show up on your doorstep when you least expect it.

sandrock74
17-Aug-2009, 10:55 PM
Night also showed that in one instance 3 zombies were trying to break into an empty shed. No humans there, so why did they do it? They also vacated the farmhouse even though Ben was only a short distance (in the cellar) from them. If they sensed his presence, it couldn't have been that enticing as they gave up in fairly short order. Further, they show even more unpredictability toward the end of the movie when they are faced with a great deal of stimulus (skirmish line of rednecks, truck traffic and the news helicopter) but move away from said stimulus, then immediately thereafter turn toward humans who are shooting at them.

What I'm getting at here is that they show more randomness than they are given credit for and to my mind, it makes for a scarier ghoul who will show up on your doorstep when you least expect it.

Holy crap! In my 34 years on this planet, this has never occured to me! You're correct in your observations. The zombies almost seemed to be fleeing the rednecks, gunfire, barking dogs, and assorted vehicles. Almost like too much stimuli for them to process, so they just shambled along, unsure what to do.

SRP76
17-Aug-2009, 10:58 PM
If one sees you, it will chase you pretty much forever, unless other food comes along to distract it. It doesn't need rest, and could give a damn about "inhospitable terrain". If you can get there, a zombie can get there. It's not like they're in cars, and need to stick to the road.

And if another sees it roaming out into the countryside, it will follow. And another that sees that one. And on and on. Next thing you know, you've got a gang heading out to your "safe" area.

Slain
18-Aug-2009, 02:21 AM
If anything the rough terrain in mountains would channelize the zombies and bunch them up, so it's a certainty they'll find any sort of normal habitation eventually. Sure people could lash themselves to a shear rock face like Half Dome in Yosemite, but what the hell are they going to eat up there? The natives in the mountains of Afghanistan could probably hold out for decades against the zombies, but these people are much more war like and heavily armed than most Americans--except maybe for Dick Cheney.

Trin
18-Aug-2009, 03:12 PM
If one sees you, it will chase you pretty much forever, unless other food comes along to distract it. It doesn't need rest, and could give a damn about "inhospitable terrain". If you can get there, a zombie can get there. It's not like they're in cars, and need to stick to the road.

And if another sees it roaming out into the countryside, it will follow. And another that sees that one. And on and on. Next thing you know, you've got a gang heading out to your "safe" area.
Zombies only pursue so long as they know where to go. I think this is evidenced by Fiddler's Green not having a horde of straggling zombies roaming up after every scavenging run. They may follow for a time, but a few turns in the road and they're off the trail. And if a few stragglers randomly wander their way to your base, well that's what rifles and guards are for.

As for not being stopped by inhospitable terrain, of course they'd be stopped. A ditch and drawbridge sealing off the only road would be enough to stop a thousand zombies, or at least give you time to dispatch them as they funneled in.

krakenslayer
18-Aug-2009, 03:35 PM
yeah, obviously they'd be stopped by inhospitable terrain - we can climb over boulders, carefully pick our way across swamps, cut through dense vegetation, etc. A zombie is so coordinated that it can't even use an escalator.

19-Aug-2009, 02:12 AM
if the mts were to channelize the zombies to a place then couldnt you channel them off a cliff or into a tar pit or some other type of trap that would either kill them out right or maybe fall into a river and just get washed away