PDA

View Full Version : Goddamn it... My harddrive died

DjfunkmasterG
13-Aug-2009, 06:13 PM
So I come to find out my Hard Drive that contained the soundtrack music for the first Deadlands film has kicked the bucket. I knew the drive was aging and ordered the replacement drive yesterday, but low and behold was a day too late. The drive has siezed up and I lost everything on it.

Luckily I backed up the soundtrack to DVDR's, but my other software and downloads over the last 2 years has been completely wiped out.

I guess I will try the freezer method to see if I can get it rotating one more time, but I think it has officially died or spun its last spin.

EvilNed
13-Aug-2009, 06:18 PM
http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

Here you go. I lost 160 gigs worth of raw material this spring, then I used this program and it fixed it all up. Give it a try. Warning: It works very slowly on external harddrives, but very fast on internal ones. I ended up putting my external one into the computer and it took 2 hours instead of 3 days.

What you do is burn the program to a CD and then boot the computer from it.

Danny
13-Aug-2009, 07:20 PM
see, ive had a terrabyte one for 3 years with no faults and the day i got all the techies i know heckled me how "lol, it'll only last a few weeks, noob purchase amirite!?!" and mines the only computer thats lasted past 2 years.
i think its hard to purchase something like this because most people will just go "oh this one is the best for you" and it hardly ever is, just back up the back ups of your backups, and make multiple copies of the hd and such.

capncnut
13-Aug-2009, 07:32 PM
I back up regularly because I like to reformat my PC from scratch every year or so. Even if someone has had a pc for only six months, things are noticably slower than when it was first switched on.

Nothing like a fresh pc every year, only takes a few hours with nothing lost.

Danny
13-Aug-2009, 08:11 PM
I back up regularly because I like to reformat my PC from scratch every year or so. Even if someone has had a pc for only six months, things are noticably slower than when it was first switched on.

true, out of the box my mac was at the desktop before my finger let go of the power switch, no it takes a good 3 to 5 seconds, not much but on a mac thats damn noticeable.

EvilNed
13-Aug-2009, 09:31 PM

Heck, yeah. I do it twice or thrice a year, depending on how pissed off I get at it being so slow.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Aug-2009, 12:05 PM
I usually re-format every 6 months, but lately I have been slagging off on that. New HD is on the way, and BTW I used Spin Rite on the drive, had the proggie, and it could do nothing. DOA