PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Favorite Entry?

bassman
17-Aug-2009, 02:03 PM
This past weekend the little lady and I sat down to watch the entire LOTR trilogy. I hadn't seen any of the films since they were released, so it was almost like seeing them for the first time.

I remember upon my first screening of the trilogy that Fellowship of the Ring was my favorite, but now that's changed. In fact....I found the first two films to be really boring and had to keep myself from falling asleep. The third film however was fantastic! I'm a huge fan of Return of the King now, but the other two just aren't worth the time, imo.:shifty:

So what would be your favorite entry into the Lord of the Rings trilogy?

* I figured a post would've already been made on this subject but couldn't find it in search. If there has been....I apologize in advance.

Danny
17-Aug-2009, 02:10 PM
definitely fellowship, it feels like an epic adventure, but by the end its just the beginning of something much bigger, but its got the shire, the mines of moria, rivendel and stuff, i read the hobbit and fellowship when i was like 6 or 7 so it was so damn cool to see stuff on screen either exactly like i imagined it, like moria, or completely different like the shire but the set design just made it for me, sure helms deep and gondor were cool, but they felt like the were made for an impressive battle in mind, the fellowship sets just seemed more fantasy of old style to me than battle fantasy stuff and so its always been my favorite.

-actually i think i saw it like 17 times when it first came out, only saw the two towers 3 times and return once, probably because i just got so sick of the over saturation of marketing.

bassman
17-Aug-2009, 02:12 PM
probably because i just got so sick of the over saturation of marketing.

This is why i'm just now seeing them all again. The hype almost killed them for me the first time around. Plus seeing them now upgraded to HD is nice!

axlish
17-Aug-2009, 02:15 PM
FotR - Slow roll, getting to know the characters and locations/settings.

TTT - Walking, Running, chance encounters, a from here to there tale. I do really dig the scene with the Uruk Hai and the Orcs arguing about the Hobbits meat.

RotK - Great Battle scenes, the cavalry is a little too convenient for me (meaning the ghosts, not the badass horsemen charge). I'd have taken the liberty of rewriting that part.

I choose FOTR, simply for the beautiful cinematography, and slow moving character-based story-line. Before I went Blu-ray, the Balrog encounter was THE audio video sample scene.

Mike70
17-Aug-2009, 02:19 PM
fellowship definitely. it's has a grandness and beauty about it that you don't find in many films.

the other two films are awesome but they feel fragmented and kind of episodic compared to fellowship.

bassman
17-Aug-2009, 02:31 PM
In my mind, ROTK is the most character driven story out of the three. Kinda strange considering the film has the most special effects, but I really felt connected and invested in the characters on the third film. With the first two it was like "meh...whatever".

But on the other hand....ROTK might not work out as well without seeing the first two films before. So it's tricky for me to say the third film is my favorite...but it kept me awake:p. I know for sure that the second film is my least favorite. Boooooring.

The only gripe that I have with ROTK is the multiple endings. Yes, all the characters needed to be wrapped up but surely Jackson could have shortened it up just a hair?

RotK - Great Battle scenes, the cavalry is a little too convenient for me (meaning the ghosts, not the badass horsemen charge). I'd have taken the liberty of rewriting that part.

On the special features it's mentioned that Jackson didn't like the ghosts and really wanted to take them out of the story but feared the fans of the novel would flip out. :lol:

Doc
17-Aug-2009, 03:46 PM
Damn. All this time and I just relaized I've never watched FOTR before.:eek:

axlish
17-Aug-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I thought RotK ended about 4 times, although I must admit that I shed a tear when Arwen arrived. Viggo really pulled off Aragorn, his performance should go down in the action cinema badassery hall of fame.

MinionZombie
17-Aug-2009, 05:38 PM
Not seen them in a long time, but I must rewatch them at some point.

I never saw 1 or 3 in the cinema - arrived on the scene late for the first one, so caught it on DVD the following Xmas, then a couple of weeks later saw Two Towers in the cinema - which is my favourite one, linking back to the thread topic - and then I never was able to get anyone to go with me to the cinema to see the third one.

I was going to go, but the person I was going to go with that day blew me off without telling me (not a phone call, not a text, nothing), so I ... *ahem* saw it ... but then obviously finished off the 4-disc extended DVD trilogy that Xmas anyway.

So yeah, Two Towers was the one I got to see in the cinemas, and it had that fucking boss rumble at Helm's Deep. :thumbsup:

CoinReturn
17-Aug-2009, 06:18 PM
Watching Fellowship of the Ring in the theater while being introduced to all the characters and lore of the LotR series was amazing. The impact of the other two films wasn't as big for me, for one reason or another.

clanglee
17-Aug-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, Two Towers is my favorite. The Battle at Helm's Deep was just plain kick ass!!! The charge of the Roharim down the slopes in the nick of time. The Ents attacking Isenguard!!! The worg attack. All good stuff. Happy fun time.