View Full Version : No Music Credit For Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Curiojoe
19-Aug-2009, 12:31 AM
A major factor of the eeriness and success of Night of the Living Dead was in its highly effective and original music score, yet, there was no credit given to the music or its composer(s)!

Does anyone out there have any explanation for this gross oversight?

Mr. Romero, sir?

capncnut
19-Aug-2009, 02:45 AM
Enter Jim Cirronella! ;)

FoodFight
19-Aug-2009, 03:17 AM
Funny that you should bring up this subject. Recently I purchased a 4-DVD set of the Vietnam War. I thought it was the Time-Life set, but was sadly mistaken when it turned out to be a collection of Department of Defense films which were made in the late '60s (during the war, for you youngsters). One of these government films had music that positively must have been included in Night. So, to answer your question (and it's truly a guess that I am putting forward), I think that it's public domain (at least some of it, any copyright lawyers feel free to correct me on this matter).

capncnut
19-Aug-2009, 03:30 AM
I've heard the library cues/scores from Night all over the place. From 60's and 70's movies (of all genres) to television programmes. I was watching a game show on some foreign channel on cable in the eighties and contestants had to answer questions before the timer ran out. When they failed to answer in time, their light blinked out and the DAHHH cue (when the electricity cuts in Night) sounded off. A smile hit my face let me tell you, it was unmistakable. :D

C5NOTLD
19-Aug-2009, 10:21 AM
The music came from the Capitol Hi-Q library which was made up of various composers. Through the years, stock music wasn't given screen credit very often even in the larger films. A lot of people think the music cues are from 1967 - they are older than that - The Hi-Q library was in use for many years and many productions before Night.

Dubious will elaborate :D

. So, to answer your question (and it's truly a guess that I am putting forward), I think that it's public domain (at least some of it, any copyright lawyers feel free to correct me on this matter).

The music is not public domain unless you are using a clip from the film which is public domain. If you are using only the music then it has to be licensed from the music publishers - which often is a different publisher depending on which cue is being selected.

One of these government films had music that positively must have been included in Night.

Could have been from Night but it also could have just been from the Capitol Hi-Q library which has similar sounding cues. The stock library of music was used by independent film companies, studios, newsreels, industrials/commercials and even the government through the years.

FoodFight
20-Aug-2009, 12:23 AM
A stock library makes more sense. I had been under the impression that Romero had lifted the music from a government source (hence the public domain comment). It seemed like a shoestring budget kind of thing that he would have done, and somewhat poetic at that. Sad to say that the govt. was paying royalties instead.

DubiousComforts
20-Aug-2009, 07:05 PM
Dubious will elaborate :D
Nope, you did a great job explaining the library music, so no further elaboration is needed. :D

I've heard the library cues/scores from Night all over the place. From 60's and 70's movies (of all genres) to television programmes. I was watching a game show on some foreign channel on cable in the eighties and contestants had to answer questions before the timer ran out. When they failed to answer in time, their light blinked out and the DAHHH cue (when the electricity cuts in Night) sounded off. A smile hit my face let me tell you, it was unmistakable. :D
The music stinger that you're talking about is one of the only cues unique to NIGHT and not found in the Capitol Hi-Q library. It sounds like a slowed-down brass stinger mixed with a synthesizer, and was most likely made by someone at Hardman Associates. The game show producers probably just lifted it from the film.