PDA

View Full Version : Night Of The Living Dead 16x9

xopher
24-Aug-2009, 03:54 AM
I saw this and was wondering if anyone had seen it yet. It claims it's a 16x9 version of NOTLD. http://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-Dead-16x9-Widescreen/dp/B000BU7SOU/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1251085603&sr=1-48

Now, of course we all know that it wasn't shot this way so it would have to be cropped. However, I did little bit of tinkering with my 46" widescreen HDTV the other night and discovered that I really dig watching it in widescreen, even if you do lose a little bit of information, and even if some of the shots are a little tight from time to time. I'd love to see an HD version of the film that could both the original 4x3 version matted on black, and a cropped 16x9 version.

On my TV, I zoomed in and moved the screen down by 15 step (I have an old Sony Wega) and I raelly liked it. It's like discovering the movie all over again. If you set it up right, most of the action in most full-frame features (with the exception of subtitles and info text) takes place in the center and more toward the top of the screen.

I would encourage anybody to try it once and let me know what you get.

PEACE!

DjfunkmasterG
24-Aug-2009, 02:26 PM
Looks like they uploaded an AVI master of some kind and just did a 16x9 mask and exported it to 16x9

EvilNed
24-Aug-2009, 06:51 PM
Meh. I'm the kind of guy who will instantly turn a movie off if I notice it's been cropped in anyway.

Griff
25-Aug-2009, 03:04 AM
I once gave the blu ray of NOTLD a spin on my projector with it cropped to roughly 1.66:1. If someone had told me that it was composed for that ratio, I would've believed em. 1.78:1, on the other hand, was a little tight for my liking.

xopher
25-Aug-2009, 08:34 PM
Man, that kind of sucks that the only Blu-Ray version they have is sold only on region 2. I think they should have a blu-ray release with a 16x9 option. I agree though, that the full 16x9 (1.85:1) version has some of the close-up looking just a LITTLE tight. I still like the widescreen look though.

bassman
25-Aug-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm all for Blu Ray.....but there's still something very funny to me about Night being on that format....