View Full Version : Happy Birthday, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!!

Adrenochrome
22-May-2006, 11:31 AM
:D He would have been 147 today - well, you know...
Any of you ever read any of his work?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Conan_doyle.jpg

Burbank
22-May-2006, 11:45 AM
That explains Google today anyway.

kortick
22-May-2006, 01:34 PM
I read doyle

ever read mark frost
list of 7 book of 6
or something

he uses doyle as a charecter
in his books

he was a co creator of twin peaks
so his stuff is really different

if you like doyle
read mark frost

EvilNed
22-May-2006, 02:02 PM
I love 19th century fiction. Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle... is there ANYTHING better than reading the crazy stuff these guys came up with?

Adrenochrome
22-May-2006, 02:10 PM
I love 19th century fiction. Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle... is there ANYTHING better than reading the crazy stuff these guys came up with?
Man, the imagination put into those works!! Especialy Verne and Wells!
I read The Time Machine when I was (maybe) 9 or 10 years old. My Grandmother gave me the book to read and sat there with me and read along....it was great! MY mind was swirling with all kinds of new things! She'd stop at the end of a chapter and we'd discuss it. Lord, that woman was great (and an inspiration!)
And Jules, Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864)!!!!
From the Earth to the Moon (1866)!!!!!
Those were my two faves of Verne!

EvilNed
22-May-2006, 02:15 PM
The Time Machine and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea are some of my personal favourites. I need to reread both of them, however, especially 20k under the Sea

Adrenochrome
22-May-2006, 03:12 PM
The Time Machine and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea are some of my personal favourites. I need to reread both of them, however, especially 20k under the Sea
check out some Edgar Rice Burroughs (not the Tarzan,...although those are FANTASTIC!), he's got some excellent Sci Fi.

oh, and let's not forget Aldous Huxley.

bassman
22-May-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm going to grow a 'stache like that:p

EvilNed
22-May-2006, 11:22 PM
I need to get all those old books and just reread them. The Lost World, Journey to the Center of the Earth and I've yet to read the Island of Dr. Moreau!