PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't People Just Be Stupid?

SRP76
24-Aug-2009, 06:11 PM
I saw some more pushing of the AD/HD excuses on television a few minutes ago. It was basically a "get help now" ad, and ran down the whole "are you a failure? It's because you've got issues. It's not your fault" song-and-dance routine.

They gave the list of symptoms, and there wasn't one thing that doesn't also fall into the list of problems "normal" stupid people have.

So what exactly separates these people from the "normal" stupid? Or are all stupid people now classified as "having issues", no longer allowed to be just plain stupid?

Discuss.

EvilNed
24-Aug-2009, 07:21 PM
Because people like to A) Blame their shortcomings on something else, so instead of doing something about it (like, say, go out and get educated) they'll just wanna get a quick fix. and B) People like to make money, and those that do, realize that the people in Group A are a huge market.

Chic Freak
24-Aug-2009, 07:46 PM
They gave the list of symptoms, and there wasn't one thing that doesn't also fall into the list of problems "normal" stupid people have.

So what exactly separates these people from the "normal" stupid?

That people with ADHD suffer from all of the symptoms all of the time rather than some of the symptoms some of the time?

The acid test is to put them on methylphenidate for it. On a person with ADHD, it should calm them down and make it easier to concentrate, but a person with a typical brain will react to it in much the same way as speed.

EDIT: This does not change the fact that some people are lazy blaggers and some parents would jump at the chance to blame the results of their poor parenting skills on a "syndrome", mind.

major jay
24-Aug-2009, 10:44 PM
People like to make money, and those that do, realize that the people in Group A are a huge market.

That's defintely a big part of it.

btw, I think you'd make a great capitalist. :)

Mr. Clean
24-Aug-2009, 10:57 PM
It's alot like Fibromyalgia...which I believe is a bullshit disorder....

Quoted from Wikipedia:

The defining symptoms of fibromyalgia are chronic, widespread pain, fatigue, and heightened pain in response to pressure (allodynia). Other symptoms may include tingling of the skin, prolonged muscle spasms, weakness in the limbs, nerve pain, functional bowel disturbances,[6] and chronic sleep disturbances.[20]

Many patients experience cognitive dysfunction[9] (known as "brain fog" or "fibrofog"), which may be characterized by impaired concentration,[21] problems with short[21][22] and long-term memory, short-term memory consolidation,[22] impaired speed of performance,[21][22] inability to multi-task, cognitive overload,[21][22] diminished attention span, anxiety, and depressive symptoms.[22]

Other symptoms often attributed to fibromyalgia that may possibly be due to a comorbid disorder include myofascial pain syndrome also referred to as Chronic Myofascial Pain, diffuse non-dermatomal paresthesias, functional bowel disturbances and irritable bowel syndrome (possibly linked to lower levels of ghrelin,[23] genitourinary symptoms and interstitial cystitis, dermatological disorders, headaches, myoclonic twitches, and symptomatic hypoglycemia. Although fibromyalgia is classified based on the presence of chronic widespread pain, pain may also be localized in areas such as the shoulders, neck, low back, hips, or other areas. Many sufferers also experience varying degrees of facial pain and have high rates of comorbid temporomandibular joint disorder.

An epidemiology study consisting of an internet-based survey of 2,596 people with fibromyalgia[24] reported that the most frequently cited factors perceived to worsen fibromyalgia symptoms were emotional distress (83%), weather changes (80%), sleeping problems (79%), strenuous activity (70%), mental stress (68%), worrying (60%), car travel (57%), family conflicts (52%), physical injuries (50%) and physical inactivity (50%). Other factors included infections, allergies, lack of emotional support, perfectionism, side effects of medications, and chemical exposures.

EvilNed
24-Aug-2009, 11:05 PM
That's defintely a big part of it.

btw, I think you'd make a great capitalist. :)

Yeah, if I'd ever stoop to that level... ;)

krakenslayer
24-Aug-2009, 11:35 PM
From a scientific, medical point of view, the idea of someone being "just stupid" is really unproductive. And it's nothing to do with being politically correct or being indulgent. Rather it's that one of the major purposes of science is to better understand WHY things are are as they are. Cause and effect.

So just as biologists can try to explain and understand the chemical, genetic, dietary and environmental factors of why some people are taller than others, or why some people have curly hair, they also do the same for human behaviour. It's not a matter of claiming that people who suffer from these ailments are NOT stupid by most folks' definitions, it's about understanding WHY they are stupid. This is not a bad thing in itself, because in theory it should help REDUCE stupidity.

The problem comes from people's tendency to shirk personal responsibility, or to seek pity and charity from others. Lots of people will self-diagnose these problems and tell the doctor only what he needs to hear in order to classify them as suffering from the condition. Others, even those who genuinely do suffer from an issue, will use it as a crutch or an excuse and avoid making any attempt to overcome the problem through action - the "I'm dyslexic so I won't even bother TRYING to read a book" attitude that is just a self-fulfilling prophecy.

These problems, however, are the fault of individuals, issues of human nature, problems of laziness and selfishness that are rife throughout our society anyway.

But you can't blame medicine for trying to classify and understand stupidity, because that's part of its job.

kortick
25-Aug-2009, 12:38 AM
Oh people can be just stupid.
These are letters sent in to Dear Abby that
she had no answers to.

Dear Abby,
A couple of women moved in across the hall from me. One is a middle-aged gym teacher and the other is a social worker in her mid twenties. These two women go everywhere together and I've never seen a man go into or leave their apartment. Do you think they could be Lebanese?

Dear Abby,
What can I do about all the Sex, Nudity, Fowl Language and Violence on my VCR?

Dear Abby,
I have a man I can't trust. He cheats so much, I'm not even sure the baby I'm carrying is his.

Dear Abby,
Our son writes that he is taking Judo. Why would a boy who was raised in a good Christian home turn against his own?

Dear Abby,
I joined the Navy to see the world. I've seen it. Now how do I get out?

Dear Abby,
I was married to Bill for three months and I didn't know he drank until one night he came home sober.

blind2d
25-Aug-2009, 01:30 AM
Lol! That's brilliant! Hurm.... drugs make money.

acealive1
25-Aug-2009, 09:54 PM
to the original poster, yes there are TONS of stupid peeps on the earth. but there are legit cases of people having attention disorders and the stupid ones latch onto that as a crutch.

a friend of mine has ADD, its really hard to keep his attention honestly. with that said, he's one of the smartest guys i've ever known.