PDA

View Full Version : Stargate SG1 maturing up

Rottedfreak
22-May-2006, 01:14 PM
Has anyone - who's a fan noticed this with the series?
In season 9 the Ori represent the truest kind of god there can be, they have real power that the Goauld didn't.
The episode where Jackson and Vala take over the bodies in another galaxy featured the Ori followers burning their victims, not zapping them dead with energy weapons. And then in one of the subsequent episodes it started out as a bit of comedy where Vala goes back to a planet posing as a goddess and ended up serious, a whole village of people ended up giving their devotion to the Ori, and so far victory has fallen to them in most follow up episodes.
With Richard Dean Anderson gone it's like the series has become more dark.

bassman
22-May-2006, 01:17 PM
Has anyone - who's a fan noticed this with the series?
In season 9 the Ori represent the truest kind of god there can be, they have real power that the Goauld didn't.
The episode where Jackson and Vala take over the bodies in another galaxy featured the Ori followers burning their victims, not zapping them dead with energy weapons. And then in one of the subsequent episodes it started out as a bit of comedy where Vala goes back to a planet posing as a goddess and ended up serious, a whole village of people ended up giving their devotion to the Ori, and so far victory has fallen to them in most follow up episodes.
With Richard Dean Anderson gone it's like the series has become more dark.

Maybe he's going to be "MacGyver" again.:p

Never liked the "Stargate" movies/shows, though.....

EvilNed
22-May-2006, 02:05 PM
The film was good. I watched the pilot episode for Stargate SG-1 and threw up.

Eyebiter
22-May-2006, 08:39 PM
The Stargate franchise has gone through some growing pains in the last two seasons.

Things suffered a bit when certain writers moved to the spinoff show Stargate: Atlantis. Not to mention recent cast departures of SG1 regulars Don S. Davis (Gen Hammond), Richard Dean Anderson (Gen Jack O'Neill) and Teryl Rothery (Dr Janet Fraiser).

Bringing Ben Browder and Claudia Black to the series was controversial but it was a good decision for the writers. Vala brings much needed humor to the series while Lt. Col. Mitchell represents the smart ass SG1 commander archtype.

I'm not impressed with the Beau Bridges & Lexa Doig however. Having a father / daughter serving at the same base is very unlikely in real life. Also the Dr. Lam character does not have the military bearing that Dr. Fraiser demonstrated over several seasons of Stargate SG1. Perhaps things will improve over time.

It will be interesting to see how the Stargate: Atlantis and Stargate:SG1 universes collide over the next season. While the Ori are certainly a dangerous threat, imagine what will happen when Priors bring their message to the Pegasus galaxy. Given the choice between becoming food for the Wraith or a lifetime of worshiping the Ori - seems like an easy choice for your average peasant.

With all the Ancient technology scattered across the Pegasus galaxy, it's only a matter of time before the Wraith discover advanced jump drive technology capable of reaching our galaxy. With the wane of the Goa'uld and the threat of the Ori, the Wraith would find a chaotic universe full of planets to feed on.

Should be an interesting season of television.

zombie04
22-May-2006, 09:16 PM
I think the show has really gone downhill recently. My mom loves the show and has the first 8 seasons of SG1 on dvd so I've seen my fair share. I watched some of the new episodes on Scifi and I can say I was not impressed. The episodes are really lacking adventure now and just seem to have really lame writing. Then again, Atlantis isn't all that great either. In my opinion the show has past its prime and just doesn't want to know it.

Exatreides
23-May-2006, 02:26 AM
Is it just me or have the last few seasons been really short? Like mini seasons? They seem alot shorter then the first few.

erisi236
23-May-2006, 03:21 AM
I actually kindda like Stargate: Atlantis, go fig :)

zombie04
23-May-2006, 06:00 PM
I actually kindda like Stargate: Atlantis, go fig :)

Atlantis isn't a bad show, I just think the whole concept of Stargate has gone past its limit of originality and now they're trying to keep it alive longer than it should be. I think stopping SG1 and continuing Atlantis would be better so they could focus on the writing and special effects more like the first 3 seasons of SG1.