PDA

View Full Version : Ted Kennedy Dead at 77

DjfunkmasterG
26-Aug-2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/26/obit.ted.kennedy/index.html

Mike70
26-Aug-2009, 11:09 AM
RIP. love him or hate him, you must admit this dude was a titan of american politics. hell, he might've been president if he'd been a better drunk driver.

3pidemiC
26-Aug-2009, 12:28 PM
A sad day.

RIP.

AcesandEights
26-Aug-2009, 02:01 PM
I'd forgotten about his cancer troubles. Rest in peace.

thxleo
26-Aug-2009, 02:32 PM
hell, he might've been president if he'd been a better drunk driver.

Yeah, if only he hadn't left that woman to die. What was her name again? Anyone remember? Oh that's right, it was Mary Jo Kopechne. :|

slickwilly13
26-Aug-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, if only he hadn't left that woman to die. What was her name again? Anyone remember? Oh that's right, it was Mary Jo Kopechne. :|

I never liked the Kennedy family and always considered them to be rich scandelish trash that was seemly above the law. I will not miss him.

Arcades057
26-Aug-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm gonna miss him.:(

darth los
26-Aug-2009, 04:51 PM
Call him what you want but the bottom line is that he got stuff done for the good of the country. Whether liberal or conservative we need more people in congress like that.

:cool:

Mike70
26-Aug-2009, 05:34 PM

pretty reprehensible act no matter who it is. i wonder if he hadn't of been a kennedy, would he have even had a political career after that.

thxleo
26-Aug-2009, 05:42 PM
pretty reprehensible act no matter who it is. i wonder if he hadn't of been a kennedy, would he have even had a political career after that.

The Kennedy name was a "get out of jail" card...literally.
I am by no means dancing on his grave. I would never wish cancer on anyone(well almost anyone). Cancer took my uncle and a very good friend as well. But I wonder, if there is such a thing as an afterlife, where he is right now.

darth los
26-Aug-2009, 06:06 PM
The Kennedy name was a "get out of jail" card...literally.
I am by no means dancing on his grave. I would never wish cancer on anyone(well almost anyone). Cancer took my uncle and a very good friend as well. But I wonder, if there is such a thing as an afterlife, where he is right now.

Where will any of be? Because "all of us have sinned and therefore fall short of the glory of God." Damn Jesus was a great Philosopher.

We get along pretty good and actually have substantive exchanges so this is not meant for you directly but for all of us. People are always quick to judge, but again, "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone." How would any of us like to be judged on the 5 most fucked up things WE'VE ever done? Exactly my point.

So what do we say about presidents that send innocent boys off to to die in some goofy ass war? (vietnam) Imo, that's for God to judge, not us.

"Every American should have the opportunity to recieve a quality education, a job that respects their dignity and protects their safety and healthcare that does not condemn those whose health is impaired to a lifetime of of poverty and lost opportunity."

-Edward Kennedy

This is what that man believed every American should have regarless of race(civil rights acts of the 60's), religion, gender (Title IX), or sexual orientation. He not only elieved it but he fought his entire life for it.

Yeah, terrible guy.

SRP76
26-Aug-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm not going to worship the guy. He's been dead for 20 years anyway, he just didn't know it.

thxleo
26-Aug-2009, 06:55 PM
Where will any of be? Because "all of us have sinned and therefore fall short of the glory of God." Damn Jesus was a great Philosopher.

We get along pretty good and actually have substantive exchanges so this is not meant for you directly but for all of us. People are always quick to judge, but again, "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone." How would any of us like to be judged on the 5 most fucked up things WE'VE ever done? Exactly my point.

So what do we say about presidents that send innocent boys off to to die in some goofy ass war? (vietnam) Imo, that's for God to judge, not us.

"Every American should have the opportunity to recieve a quality education, a job that respects their dignity and protects their safety and healthcare that does not condemn those whose health is impaired to a lifetime of of poverty and lost opportunity."

-Edward Kennedy

This is what that man believed every American should have regarless of race(civil rights acts of the 60's), religion, gender (Title IX), or sexual orientation. He not only elieved it but he fought his entire life for it.

Yeah, terrible guy.

I don't know about you darth los, but I've never been behind the wheel of a car drunk, crashed it off of a bridge, then walked home to sober up while the passenger in the vehicle with me drowned. That is not on my "sins" list.

DubiousComforts
26-Aug-2009, 07:29 PM
The scales of justice tip differently for the rich and influential.

The Chappaquiddick incident is no different than former first lady Laura Bush committing vehicular manslaughter at the age of 17 and not even being given so much as a ticket:

Laura Bush c.1963, ran stop sign & killed boyfriend (http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/laura.asp)

Her victim's name was Michael Dutton Douglas. If any of us regular folk had been responsible for the same accidents as Kennedy and Bush, we'd have been locked up and the key thrown away.

darth los
26-Aug-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't know about you darth los, but I've never been behind the wheel of a car drunk, crashed it off of a bridge, then walked home to sober up while the passenger in the vehicle with me drowned. That is not on my "sins" list.

Point taken. It's not on mine either. I'm not saying that it wasn't a piece of shit thing to do but I'm sure the dude panicked, thought about his political career and hauled ass. I'd love to see a pol in a similar situation today just to see how they would have handled it. But pols are hypocrites anyway you slice it. You have Congressman Mar Sanford on tape 10 years ago saying that if he got caught in an affair that he would have the decency to resign. Fast forward to today's scandal, and...you guessed it the man has yet to "resign with dignity". So they're all hypocrites. My thing is that I jst wish they would get the people's business done.

It seems to me that doesn't happen anymore. People want out of these two wars we in, we get a collective shrug and a "so" from our gov't. We NEEd healthcare reform in some form or another and they can't seem to get it done.

However, these people are celebs. They have cameras following them and people keeping tabs on them all the time. So it's only logical that we would be privvy to their dirty little secrets.

thxleo
26-Aug-2009, 09:15 PM
The scales of justice tip differently for the rich and influential.

The Chappaquiddick incident is no different than former first lady Laura Bush committing vehicular manslaughter at the age of 17 and not even being given so much as a ticket:

Laura Bush c.1963, ran stop sign & killed boyfriend (http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/laura.asp)

Her victim's name was Michael Dutton Douglas. If any of us regular folk had been responsible for the same accidents as Kennedy and Bush, we'd have been locked up and the key thrown away.

This is not the same thing at all Jim. Laura Welch, her name at the time, was not drunk for one thing and didn't leave the scene of the accident for another, and was just an ordinary citizen at the time. Her father was just a businessman and her mother was a bookkeeper, so what proof is there that she was not charged because of their wealth and influence? How much influence did her family have in Midland, TX? How rich were they?
The Chappaquiddick incident involving Ted Kennedy is most definitely different from the one involving Laura Bush.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Aug-2009, 11:44 PM
This is not the same thing at all Jim. Laura Welch, her name at the time, was not drunk for one thing and didn't leave the scene of the accident for another, and was just an ordinary citizen at the time. Her father was just a businessman and her mother was a bookkeeper, so what proof is there that she was not charged because of their wealth and influence? How much influence did her family have in Midland, TX? How rich were they?
The Chappaquiddick incident involving Ted Kennedy is most definitely different from the one involving Laura Bush.

HELL HAS FROZEN OVER! :eek:

God it really burns my skin to have to say this, but, THXLEO is right on this, Laura Welch had zero influential power until she married into the Bush family. So this incident doesn't really stack up against the Kennedy incident.

Enough said, I am out of here.

SRP76
27-Aug-2009, 12:46 AM
Were people actually trying to use the "person B is a scumbag, too, so it's okay for person A to be one" defense in the first place? Who actually thinks that works?

thxleo
27-Aug-2009, 03:52 AM
HELL HAS FROZEN OVER! :eek:

I have to admit that you made me laugh with this post, Gary.

Yojimbo
27-Aug-2009, 05:55 AM
RIP. love him or hate him, you must admit this dude was a titan of american politics. hell, he might've been president if he'd been a better drunk driver.
Agree once again with brother mike. Agree or disagree with his politics, he surely had an effect on our society. RIP Senator Kennedy, you served your country till the end and, regardless of your politics, I salute you sir!

Mike70
27-Aug-2009, 01:07 PM
I am by no means dancing on his grave.

i don't think it would be possible to have any sort of meaningful discussion about ted kennedy's life and political career without bringing up chappaquiddick. that cost him to lose out on a very real shot at being president.

darth los
27-Aug-2009, 02:37 PM
i don't think it would be possible to have any sort of meaningful discussion about ted kennedy's life and political career without bringing up chappaquiddick. that cost him to lose out on a very real shot at being president.

And even with that he still took an incumbent democratic president all the way to the convention and narrowly lost to him.

That being said he ended up having the biggest impact on legislation and in turn our everyday lives than any of his brothers. Even the most right wing legislators respected him and knew that if they wanted to pass anything significant that they would eventually have to deal with him.

DjfunkmasterG
27-Aug-2009, 03:04 PM
And even with that he still took an incumbent democratic president all the way to the convention and narrowly lost to him.

That being said he ended up having the biggest impact on legislation and in turn our everyday lives than any of his brothers. Even the most right wing legislators respected him and knew that if they wanted to pass anything significant that they would eventually have to deal with him.

He was definitely a powerhouse in politics, hell the whole family was/is... you get the point.

I will say he did a lot for the american people but his legacy did get overshadowed by some of the dumb things he did or got himself into over the years.

darth los
27-Aug-2009, 03:14 PM
He was definitely a powerhouse in politics, hell the whole family was/is... you get the point.

I will say he did a lot for the american people but his legacy did get overshadowed by some of the dumb things he did or got himself into over the years.

Well deej, everyone short of Jesus himself is a mixed bag. People do good things in life and bad things as well. It's part of being human.

DjfunkmasterG
27-Aug-2009, 04:37 PM
Well deej, everyone short of Jesus himself is a mixed bag. People do good things in life and bad things as well. It's part of being human.

Oh, I don't disagree. Was just making an observation.

darth los
27-Aug-2009, 05:14 PM
Oh, I don't disagree. Was just making an observation.

Point taken.

We like to hold our celebs to a higher standard as if they weren't human. "He cheated on his wife" or "he isn't current on his taxes", what a scumbag. Oh Please. These people are just like us except a whole lot richer. Well maybe not richer than you but you know what i mean.

Sasica
31-Aug-2009, 10:29 AM
Well Ted, you managed to max out the ranks. So... we need 8 new rank names more elite than the ones we have, and post counts that are not acheivalble by him. Lol.

Cinerary
31-Aug-2009, 04:04 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/12/128683096889478438.jpg