PDA

View Full Version : X Box 360 Price cut

darth los
27-Aug-2009, 03:37 PM
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/698737/Xbox-360-Price-Cut-Coming-Tomorrow.html

The article does some speculating but there's one thing I agree with: Compared to MS and Sony the wii is starting to look like a raw deal at $250.

:cool:

BillyRay
27-Aug-2009, 03:41 PM
If that's true, I may have to think about picking up a 360.

I just don't wanna pay for the whole Xbox live nonsense. I'm that cheap.

Maybe I'll just stick to playing at somebody else's house.

I get more done that way. :lol:

darth los
27-Aug-2009, 04:05 PM
If that's true, I may have to think about picking up a 360.

I just don't wanna pay for the whole Xbox live nonsense. I'm that cheap.

Maybe I'll just stick to playing at somebody else's house.

I get more done that way. :lol:

Normally I would agree with you, if it were virtually any other service. But X box live is exceptional and for $6.50 a month I don't see the argument against it.

MikePizzoff
27-Aug-2009, 04:12 PM
Normally I would agree with you, if it were virtually any other service. But X box live is exceptional and for $6.50 a month I don't see the argument against it.
:

I agree. People bitch and moan about having to pay for XBL when PS3 users get PSN for free. However, I also hear that the PSN is pretty shitty. I'd rather pay $6.50 a month for a GOOD service, than not pay anything for a shitty service.

slickwilly13
27-Aug-2009, 05:18 PM
I agree. People bitch and moan about having to pay for XBL when PS3 users get PSN for free. However, I also hear that the PSN is pretty shitty. I'd rather pay $6.50 a month for a GOOD service, than not pay anything for a shitty service.

Actually, there is no real problem with PSN. There are just not as many people signed in compared to XBL. What bad things have you heard?

Oh yeah. Just remembered. Some titles have shitty luck with later release dates. Such as DLC. ex. Fallout 3

darth los
27-Aug-2009, 06:09 PM

I know. If it's that big a deal then they should try cutting one of the 20 cable channels they don't watch and BAM!! there you have it: $6.50. Imo, x box live is a much better value than 1 cable channel.

BillyRay
27-Aug-2009, 06:32 PM
It's only $6.50/month?

Somehow I was under the impression that it was much more, like $50.

Now I really may have to think about picking one up.

Although I'd just play CivRev for the first couple months...

slickwilly13
27-Aug-2009, 06:35 PM
It's only $6.50/month?

Somehow I was under the impression that it was much more, like $50.

Now I really may have to think about picking one up.

Although I'd just play CivRev for the first couple months...

It is only $50 for a year.

darth los
27-Aug-2009, 06:58 PM
^^^

In which case it works out to less than $5. Getting the year is really the best value . But yeah, if that's too much for some then you can always opt for either a month to month on live for about 8 bucks per or buy the 3 month subscription. That's the one we were refering to that breaks down to a little over $6.50 a month.

bassman
27-Aug-2009, 07:01 PM
I personally don't want to pay for live because i'm not a hardcore gamer and I wouldn't use it enough. And that sucks because I won't be able to get downloadable content/games/etc.

I only play games every now and then, and it seems like xbox is penalizing me for it. I should be able to get on and get the content like I could on PSN. If I were able to play more often, I wouldn't have a problem with the cost.

BillyRay
27-Aug-2009, 07:16 PM
^^^

That's been my impression too, Bassman.

The only time I really ever play is with friends. The PS3 sounds like the better deal, except nobody I know owns one. They're all 360 people.

I dunno. I haven't owned a video game system since my Colecovision as a kid. And my turn with the "community" XBox. (long story) So it's all academic. 'Specially since I'm such a cheap bastid.

ProfessorChaos
27-Aug-2009, 07:20 PM
my brother's birthday is the day after the price cut, and he's convinced his wife to get him a 360 for his b-day...i turned the poor kid into a call of duty addict.

anyway, he's going to get the $300 elite package. pretty sweet deal for those of you who've not got on the xbox train.

darth los
27-Aug-2009, 07:40 PM
I personally don't want to pay for live because i'm not a hardcore gamer and I wouldn't use it enough. And that sucks because I won't be able to get downloadable content/games/etc.

I only play games every now and then, and it seems like xbox is penalizing me for it. I should be able to get on and get the content like I could on PSN. If I were able to play more often, I wouldn't have a problem with the cost.

^^^

That's been my impression too, Bassman.

The PS3 sounds like the better deal, except nobody I know owns one. They're all 360 people.

You ever wonder why that is?

And trust me Bassman if sony Could charge for their service they would because no one is giving them extra points for being altruistic. Lord knows they could use em'.

clanglee
27-Aug-2009, 08:50 PM
I can't see the link from work. . when is this price cut, and for how much. . cause I was planning on buying the xbox pro 60gig like next week. Dell has it for kinda cheap. . like 260.00 plus my employer discount it would come out to a little over 240.00

ProfessorChaos
27-Aug-2009, 10:01 PM
the elite model with a 120gb hard-drive will be 300 bucks, clang...

clanglee
27-Aug-2009, 10:18 PM
Does it say when?

CoinReturn
27-Aug-2009, 10:52 PM
Price cut goes in to effect tomorrow, I believe. Also, they're selling the 60GB Pro models for $250 until they're out of stock, just selling the Arcade and Elite models from then on.

clanglee
27-Aug-2009, 11:31 PM
gracias!! This is good news as I am about to buy my first XBox360. Very excited to get with the times. :D

And by the by. . . .Do any of you guys ever actually use up the 120 gigs or would 60 be plenty? how big are the average dlc games and expansions?

Danny
27-Aug-2009, 11:47 PM
gracias!! This is good news as I am about to buy my first XBox360. Very excited to get with the times. :D

And by the by. . . .Do any of you guys ever actually use up the 120 gigs or would 60 be plenty? how big are the average dlc games and expansions?

anything between 20mb's and 2gigs.

believe me, on a 12g hd i keep having to delete stuff, fable took up like half of that.

clanglee
27-Aug-2009, 11:51 PM
anything between 20mb's and 2gigs.

believe me, on a 12g hd i keep having to delete stuff, fable took up like half of that.

You mean a 120g? Or 20?

CoinReturn
28-Aug-2009, 12:51 AM
There's a total of 8GB reserved for the OS and system updates, so essentially the 20GB is only 12GB.

The 60GB model should be more than enough. You'll be able to download an entire library of Xbox Live Arcade games, install multiple games, download demos and videos, etc. without having to delete anything.

clanglee
28-Aug-2009, 01:52 AM
Cool, and the elite doesn't have anything else extra adise from the extra 60 gig hd and the black color right?

Mr. Clean
28-Aug-2009, 01:56 AM

Your Information is Incorrect...You have 2 types of Xbox Live Membership....Gold and SILVER.....I don't normally like to take up for Microsoft because they give it to plenty of people in the ass everyday but Silver is what your talking about when you say "I should be able to get on and get content"....Once you make an Xbox Live Account(uses Microsoft Passport: Hotmail, MSN, ect).....You get Silver unless you pay for Gold...

Gold Membership
Xbox LIVE Gold is a premium membership that lets you play games with friends online. Gold membership includes all the features of Silver (below) plus additional benefits and features.

Multiplayer games: Invite your friends into a multiplayer match and compete against each other or play co-op through expansive adventures.
Marketplace: Gold members get early and exclusive access to select game add-ons, demos, trailers, videos, and more.
TrueSkill matchmaking: For every ranked game you play, TrueSkill finds the best match for your skill level.
Parties: Invite a group of friends into an Xbox LIVE Party, then you can all join games and play and chat together.
Gamer feedback: Use the feedback system to select players you want to play with (or avoid) the next time you're online.
Watch Netflix movies: Xbox LIVE Gold members who also belong to Netflix can watch Netflix’s extensive library of streaming movies and TV shows right on their console at no additional charge.

A Gold membership costs $49.99 for one year—less than five dollars a month! Xbox LIVE Gold cards can also be purchased at your favorite game retailer for a three- or twelve-month membership. You can also subscribe online using your Xbox 360, or join now right here on Xbox.com.

Silver Membership
Xbox LIVE Silver is a free service that allows any Xbox 360 user with a broadband connection to get online and interact with the Xbox LIVE community.

Gamer profile: Showcase your online reputation and achievements for your friends to see.
Avatar: Share the customized Avatar that represents your online identity.
Friends list: Add other Xbox LIVE users to your friends list and chat using the headset or send text messages.
Marketplace: Download free content from Marketplace such as demos, trailers, music videos, dashboard themes, and lots more.
Microsoft Points: Redeem Microsoft Points (available at retail stores or through Xbox LIVE) for extra game content, Arcade games, movies and TV shows, independent videos, and more.
Gold Weekends: Look for special offers from Xbox LIVE that let you experience the excitement of multiplayer gaming free.

http://www.xbox.com/NR/exeres/F925FE0C-E310-491A-82E0-7A604A353BFB.htm

slickwilly13
28-Aug-2009, 02:43 AM
Cool, and the elite doesn't have anything else extra adise from the extra 60 gig hd and the black color right?

The elite has a HDMI cable for more a current HD TV and the chip set may be upgraded. There maybe some bundles still around. Same price with free game/s.

clanglee
28-Aug-2009, 02:49 AM
The elite has a HDMI cable for more a current HD TV and the chip set may be upgraded. There maybe some bundles still around. Same price with free game/s.

Hmmm, my sister's xbox has the hdmi hookup, and she has the old 20 gig one.

This thread is turning into the "Teach Chris about the XBox" thread.

Exatreides
28-Aug-2009, 03:08 AM
Don't forget the bigger the hard drive the more games you can install.

MS now has it set up where you don't need the games in tray any more if you download the game from xbox live. The days of stupid gamespot employees' may be over.

bassman
28-Aug-2009, 11:49 AM
You have 2 types of Xbox Live Membership...

I realize this, but I was under the impression that certain downloads and game updates are for gold only.

CoinReturn
28-Aug-2009, 03:21 PM
I realize this, but I was under the impression that certain downloads and game updates are for gold only.
Certain game demos sometimes have a 2-week exclusive period for gold members, but besides that, Xbox Live Marketplace is open for everyone to use.

Also, all 360 models have HDMI slots now.

slickwilly13
28-Aug-2009, 03:36 PM
Certain game demos sometimes have a 2-week exclusive period for gold members, but besides that, Xbox Live Marketplace is open for everyone to use.

Ports or cables?

At Clang. Those cables can be purchased seperately. None of the 2 20 GB models I used to own had the cables for more up to date HD TVs.

Danny
28-Aug-2009, 03:48 PM

no but certain nxe stuff is, seriously, mine ran out last week and on silver nxe sucks, you can form party's to chat or anything its very annoying.

darth los
28-Aug-2009, 05:10 PM

Seriously dude, if you actually went down the list of things that live provides such as viewing netflix content with your buds, facebook, chat and marketplace to name a few it's well worth it.

Hey, if you're short on cash you can always sell your proton pack!! :p ;)

bassman
28-Aug-2009, 06:14 PM
Seriously dude, if you actually went down the list of things that live provides such as viewing netflix content with your buds, facebook, chat and marketplace to name a few it's well worth it.

Hey, if you're short on cash you can always sell your proton pack!!

:| Not funny. That would never happen.

:p

I understand that it would be worth it if I used it, but I wouldn't use it for all that stuff. I don't have a Netflix account, I don't use Facebook, and I don't have any friends that play 360. My main gripe is that with the silver account I may not be able to download updates for a game. That's really all I want it for.

And I don't play that many games, so it wouldn't be often that I needed to get on for said updates. For instance.....I had to use a month membership card to download the updates for Ghostbusters. That was a month or two back and I haven't used Live since.

I'm not trying to rag on the service. It's a great service and that's obvious, I just wish they had more options for the casual gamer.

clanglee
29-Aug-2009, 12:04 AM
Ports or cables?

At Clang. Those cables can be purchased seperately. None of the 2 20 GB models I used to own had the cables for more up to date HD TVs.

Yeah, All the Xboxes I've seen have the HDMI port. . . but I have seen only a few mind you. I really would prefer HDMI connection, I've got 3 of those as opposed to just one colored cord setup.

Cool, that's what I was hoping

Now that I am checking it out here though. . think I'm going with the elite. It comes with an HDMI cord and its got that nice sleek nlack design. Excited excited!

darth los
29-Aug-2009, 01:24 PM

I understand that it would be worth it if I used it, but I wouldn't use it for all that stuff. I don't have a Netflix account, I don't use Facebook, and I don't have any friends that play 360. My main gripe is that with the silver account I may not be able to download updates for a game. That's really all I want it for.

And I don't play that many games, so it wouldn't be often that I needed to get on for said updates. For instance.....I had to use a month membership card to download the updates for Ghostbusters. That was a month or two back and I haven't used Live since.

I'm not trying to rag on the service. It's a great service and that's obvious, I just wish they had more options for the casual gamer.

That i do agree with. Not being able to download otherwise free content definitely sucks.

clanglee
08-Sep-2009, 11:29 PM
Got mine a bit ago!!! Gotta wait till I get home to play it though. Excited excited!!

Danny
09-Sep-2009, 12:22 AM

i get that, since my latest sub ran out ive been in gamestores and bought 5 ds games for the same price rather than get gold again purely because im thinking "i'll only use it to play left 4 dead anyway", though in gameplay terms i use psn for resistance 2 and thats it, but being able to get free stuff all the time on the psn without paying is nice, y'know, so its technically still free.
I dunno, much as i love playing games on it i grow more and more disinterested in being called a "english faggot" in halo- the fact that i pay to experience it specifically, but then the psn isnt any better in terms of people, i just dont pay for it.
Sure i'll get it again for left 4 dead 2 and lost planet 2, but in the broadest of thinking, microsofts probably going to make it a free service eventually purely because of the revenue they make on add-ons and live arcade games, which increase in calibre and price, not to mention games on demand.
Becuase honestly, i like many people can access things like twitter and facebook on my phone for free, why would i pay £39.99 a year for a service that only does this in one place on one screen?, ill pay to sit down and play left 4 dead 2 with friends sure, i have no beef with it, i just have no desire do any of this "premium subscriber" bullshit.

-and on a sidenote, isnt it time the 360 got a browser?, youd think the folks behind windows would put a bad I.E clone on there or something. Becuase i can browse the net on my wii, my ps3, my psp, my iphone, to some extent i could on a dsi if i wanted a crappy ds with half the battery life, why not the 360?, sometimes its fun to just stop playing metal gear and go on youtube and watch something stupid.
-Actually since this is on the topic of console price drops has anyone with a ps3 noticed, during this build up price drops for the holidays, that the ps3's adding stuff every other day? i turned on my ps3, for the frist time in a while, and found it added things like the bbci player, even some basic freeview channel type things, dont want to watch a blu-ray or play resi 5?, hell yes i'll watch dr.who. Which made me think, with the release of the slim and these new, totally free updates in comparison to the equally price dropped 360, albiet with a lack of a hd cable in some country's, will this cause another major shift for one in terms of the other? i dont know, i imagine final fantasy will give the ps3 a massive jump in japan but aside from that, regardless of having to pay for what the ps3 gives you for free the 360 is still the leader of the 3 in terms of exclusivity so it sort of balances it out when warranting a purchase.

as someone whos got the basic vanilla versions of all 3 consoles im indifferent but i do think its going to be an interesting next few months in terms of console sales.

-god knows the internet trolls must already be sturring in there "cunsul-wurz" trenches:rolleyes:

ProfessorChaos
09-Sep-2009, 02:40 PM
my little brother just got his elite console, and i'm finally getting around to getting the internet connected at my new pad, so i'm looking forward to popping some heads in call of duty with him this weekend.:hyper:

darth los
09-Sep-2009, 05:21 PM
my little brother just got his elite console, and i'm finally getting around to getting the internet connected at my new pad, so i'm looking forward to popping some heads in call of duty with him this weekend.:hyper:

Let us know if there's really any difference in the video quality between the hdmi and composite cable versions.

Danny
10-Sep-2009, 12:29 PM
Let us know if there's really any difference in the video quality between the hdmi and composite cable versions.

dont know about decent separate hdmi cable but the "hdmi" switch on the back of the scart lead in the uk ones doesn't really do much for it in 1080i, in fact some look really bad when they use over bloom and stuff. fable 2 in particular looks much worse in high definition.

darth los
10-Sep-2009, 03:34 PM
dont know about decent separate hdmi cable but the "hdmi" switch on the back of the scart lead in the uk ones doesn't really do much for it in 1080i, in fact some look really bad when they use over bloom and stuff. fable 2 in particular looks much worse in high definition.

There are some games i own on older consoles (RE Remake for gamecube) that look absolutely horrible on my 50 inch plasma. I'm talking to the point of being unplayable. I have to go to the tube television in the living room to get a seesion in which really sucks so I normally don't bother. so ya, I kow what you mean.

Danny
10-Sep-2009, 04:03 PM
There are some games i own on older consoles (RE Remake for gamecube) that look absolutely horrible on my 50 inch plasma. I'm talking to the point of being unplayable. I have to go to the tube television in the living room to get a seesion in which really sucks so I normally don't bother. so ya, I kow what you mean.

oh god yeah, silent hill2 and fatal frame 2 both still look awesome, but resi 2 looks like its made of lego, that needs a resi 4 engine remake POST HASTE.

-the worst offender ,believe it or not, is the wind waker on the cube, on my 52 inch flatscreen it looks..like its smudging the "paint" in real time so to speak, its god awful, though you wouldn't know from a picture:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/IMG_0392.jpg

darth los
10-Sep-2009, 04:31 PM
I think we mentioned that in the RE thread as well. A remake of RE 2 would be huge. It would satisfy purists who lament what the series has become yet it wouldn't interfere with the direction they're going in now.

I mean, the Remake for the gamecube is honestly one of the best games I've ever played in any genre and still hold up today. It was made in 2001 for pete's sake!!

Just think of the possibilities dude.