PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on where to buy a decent futon?

MikePizzoff
27-Aug-2009, 04:09 PM
As some of you already know, my girlfriend and I have moved into a new place. We want a futon so that we can use it as a couch on a daily basis, and it can be used as a bed whenever we have company.

My problem is, I don't trust Walmart, Target, or Ikea for purchasing a futon but I can't think of anywhere else to look? :annoyed: I'm trying to keep the price under $250. Oh, and please don't recommend CraigsList... I've got this quirk where I don't trust buying any furniture off of someone I don't know (bed bugs).

Or maybe any of you actually own a futon from Walmart, Target, or Ikea and can give me a review of sorts?

We're trying to purchase one today because we've got company coming tomorrow, so any quick advice is appreciated greatly!

AcesandEights
27-Aug-2009, 04:18 PM
I'd suggest buying from a local store/ regional chain. You should be able to get a fine deal and--usually--good service. Put in your town's name plus "futon store" in google, see what pops up and read the reviews.

Here's a list for the Philadelphia area (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=philadelphia,+futon+store&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=R7CWSobAH8uwlAf86Om0DA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1).

I just had to buy a new mattress and cover for my futon after moving and got a great deal doing that. It was also easy to get service and, after comparing the prices against the large chains (Wal-mart etc.), a good deal.

Get a price from a few stores (this can be done with those places by a web browse if they're a regional-sized chain or a phone call if they are a smaller/mom & pop operation) and then cruise over to the Target/Wal-mart etc website to compare against their prices.

Mike70
27-Aug-2009, 04:29 PM
you might try pier one as well. there is one on haddonfield down from the cherry hill mall in Jersey.

606 HADDONFIELD RD
CHERRY HILL, NJ 08002
(856) 663-6556

and one in philly:

2310 S CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19148
(215) 389-1134

DjfunkmasterG
27-Aug-2009, 04:35 PM
I will say IKEA furniture, if assembled correctly is very durable stuff. So Ikea is the way to go.

MikePizzoff
27-Aug-2009, 05:13 PM
Hey, thanks a lot guys!

I found this place, Diamond Furniture, they're having a sale this week - Microfiber Sofa Bed (essentially a futon) for only $217.99! http://www.diamondfurniture.com/specials/080509consbo.pdf it's at the bottom of that, if you're interested in seeing it.

AcesandEights
27-Aug-2009, 06:30 PM
Just make sure you see a floor model first, some of the discount furniture is really cheaply made, so keep that in mind. Ideally I aim for good quality products at an obscene discount and this can be had nowadays due to the excessive stock these places have on hand thanks to the downturn in the economy.

I can get a suit at one of the wholesailers next door to my building in the garment district for $39.00. No lie. But would I want to own that suit?

http://blog.sierratradingpost.com/wp-content/uploads/guy%20in%20ugly%20suit_2.jpg