PDA

View Full Version : new "Sarge" video

thxleo
27-Aug-2009, 08:17 PM
Not a lot, but something new in any case...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.channel&vanity=officialgeorgeromero

Went ahead and changed the link since it was having issues.

DjfunkmasterG
27-Aug-2009, 11:03 PM
Video is private...

Moon Knight
27-Aug-2009, 11:03 PM
I really hate when they call the undead "Zombies". Takes me right out of the film. Ughhh. Don't use the "Z" word.

krakenslayer
27-Aug-2009, 11:21 PM
Here's a transcript of the first one if anyone can't watch the video. It's the Sarge from Diary of the Dead sitting in a chair in a rotten, run-down barn or toolshed, looking down at a pool of blood on the floor. He smokes a cigarette throughout:

Everywhere we went, it was more of the same. Us against them. But on the island, it was different. Some folks there, they wanted to keep the dead alive. Praying for some kinda miracle, some kinda cure. Keep the dead close to them like... they weren't even dead. The rest of us - well, we all figure... the only good zombie is a DEAD zombie!

The shit hit the fan when the world changed. Instead of pulling together, it just gave us something else to fight about...

We came here to find Eden. A safe place in this fucked-up world where... you didn't have to die for no reason... The problem with Eden... Is there are SNAKES...

Actually, I really like the clip. Something about it actually feels very Day of the Dead. As much as I have defended Land and Diary... that short monologue feels more like Romero than either of those films. And it's only a minute long and doesn't even have any zombies in it.

clanglee
27-Aug-2009, 11:34 PM
Can't wait to go home and check this out!!

MinionZombie
28-Aug-2009, 10:36 AM
I had the "private" problem too, but went here:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.channel&vanity=officialgeorgeromero

And it worked fine for me.

Part 1 of 2, the 2nd part must be coming soon. I'm still all for this new flick, and I look forward to seeing it.

There's also a couple of new images here:
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/1993/gallery

bassman
28-Aug-2009, 11:57 AM
That was a pretty cool teaser type video. I wonder if this could be one of the few diary perspective shots towards the beginning of the film that Romero has mentioned? Some sort of interview type segement to open the film?

For some reason I kept thinking during the video that Van Sprang would have made a better Edward Blake/Comedian in Watchmen....

MoonSylver
28-Aug-2009, 12:44 PM
I had the "private" problem too, but went here:

And it worked fine for me.

Part 1 of 2, the 2nd part must be coming soon. I'm still all for this new flick, and I look forward to seeing it.

There's also a couple of new images here:
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/1993/gallery

Thanks MZ. Awesome. Like the ominous rumbling of thunder in the background while he delivers the monologue.:)

AcesandEights
28-Aug-2009, 02:07 PM
Something new and meaty. Nice share!

darth los
28-Aug-2009, 02:43 PM
Actually, I really like the clip. Something about it actually feels very Day of the Dead. As much as I have defended Land and Diary... that short monologue feels more like Romero than either of those films. And it's only a minute long and doesn't even have any zombies in it.

Imo, that's part of the man's genius. His films were never about zombies. If they were we'd know a whole lot more about them including timeline, etc. But he chose not to do that. Instead They were a tool he used in telling a bigger story about the human condition.

:cool:

MinionZombie
28-Aug-2009, 05:13 PM
That was a pretty cool teaser type video. I wonder if this could be one of the few diary perspective shots towards the beginning of the film that Romero has mentioned? Some sort of interview type segement to open the film?

Aye, I think that's what it is - liked it, and liked the aforementioned ominous thunder.

I would have written the dialogue a little differently ... a little less "dramatic", and directing the use of the cigarette differently ... but that's me, not GAR ... so it's not really here-nor-there.

Dug it though.

Something new and meaty. Nice share!

Indeed, it's nice to finally have been seeing some clips and pics and such recently.

bassman
28-Aug-2009, 06:17 PM
I would have written the dialogue a little differently ... a little less "dramatic", and directing the use of the cigarette differently ... but that's me, not GAR ... so it's not really here-nor-there.

The cigarette thing stood out to me, as well. It's like those movies where you can tell the actor is trying to look cool with his cigarette.:rolleyes:

The dialogue was good, but the way it was played reminded me of Diary. Hopefully there's not too much of that.

MinionZombie
28-Aug-2009, 07:26 PM
The cigarette thing stood out to me, as well. It's like those movies where you can tell the actor is trying to look cool with his cigarette.:rolleyes:

The dialogue was good, but the way it was played reminded me of Diary. Hopefully there's not too much of that.
Agreed on all counts ... I think these 'diary' videos are just at the start ... or maybe dispersed throughout ... hopefully they're just short little bits ... I kinda get that impression from that 90 second clip they threw up there on MySpace.

I think it's easy to over-do such a type of performance as in that kind of 'giving a message' scene ... but then again, it's really hard to get it spot on too.

EvilNed
28-Aug-2009, 08:23 PM

Agreed, same here. But we all know how much Romero likes to write snappy characters and dialoge and force some coolness unto them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This time? He could really have dropped the ball, but Alan Van Sprang, I think, is a really good actor. I totally dug this video.

As for the "Z" word, while I agree with the fact that it should be left out (I can't really explain why), I am starting to grow tired of one, serious issue in most zombiefilms:

People IN zombiefilms don't seem to know flying fuck ABOUT zombiefilms. Or even zombies!

Let's face it. If the dead began to rise, nobody would call them ghouls or stiffs. We'd all be shitting our pants yelling "Holy shit, it's a fucking zombie!". But somehow... Zombiefilms do not seem to exist as a cultural phenomena in a zombiefilm. Which is strange, because in Vampirefilms everyone knows what a vampire is...

krakenslayer
28-Aug-2009, 08:33 PM
Let's face it. If the dead began to rise, nobody would call them ghouls or stiffs. We'd all be shitting our pants yelling "Holy shit, it's a fucking zombie!". But somehow... Zombiefilms do not seem to exist as a cultural phenomena in a zombiefilm. Which is strange, because in Vampirefilms everyone knows what a vampire is...

The difference is that vampires - as in neck-biting, undead immortals - are part of folklore. Most vampire films are based on the premise that vampires have been around for a very long time.

In zombie films, however, the zombie outbreak is usually something new and unexpected. In Romero's films, unless he decided to get all post-modern, it wouldn't be appropriate for characters to have ever seen a modern "zombie film", because the first one of those was Night of the Living Dead, a film set in the very same universe as the characters themselves.

Night of the Living Dead does not exist as a movie within Romero's zombie films and therefore, within that fictional universe, the modern zombie film, with all the associated terminology and understanding of the "rules", does not exist. It is feasible, however, that characters might jokingly (or otherwise) associate the undead with the zombies of Hoodoo mythology or old black-and-white movies, and use the term "zombie" as derogatory slang.

bassman
28-Aug-2009, 08:43 PM
I think the word "zombie" should be avoided because it's become diluted over the years. There are video games with cute zombies. There are kids shows with zombies. There are commercials with zombies....

That word has become a part of pop culture and doesn't really frighten people anymore. I think to refer to them as stinches, or ghouls, or whatever kinda helps seperate them from that popular knowledge of zombies and thus makes them a bit more frightening.

As has been said on these boards by many people before.....when you say "zombie" to someone they usually think of "Brains!".:rolleyes:

EvilNed
28-Aug-2009, 08:55 PM
In zombie films, however, the zombie outbreak is usually something new and unexpected. In Romero's films, unless he decided to get all post-modern, it wouldn't be appropriate for characters to have ever seen a modern "zombie film", because the first one of those was Night of the Living Dead, a film set in the very same universe as the characters themselves.

Right, but you can't ignore the fact that Zombies, while maybe not part of popular folklore, are as big part of modern culture as Vampires are. While Romero's films are excused, because of the paradox of it actually being the "sequel" (if you will) to the film that actually started the whole thing, most other zombiefilms are not.

AcesandEights
28-Aug-2009, 09:02 PM
Night of the Living Dead does not exist as a movie within Romero's zombie films and therefore, within that fictional universe, the modern zombie film, with all the associated terminology and understanding of the "rules", does not exist

You. Just. Blew. My. Mind.

That's a damned good point.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Aug-2009, 11:22 PM
and its in 2.35:1 :D

krakenslayer
29-Aug-2009, 02:37 AM

I thought that at first, but to be honest, I don't think so. The official Romero Twitter site has this: Check out this first of two short videos featuring Alan Van Sprang...we shot this on the set of the movie!

Sure, the whole movie is shot on set, so it doesn't exactly disprove it, but it does suggest that this was an "extra" they put together during shooting.

You. Just. Blew. My. Mind.

That's a damned good point.

Oh, that's nothing. Just a little pan-dimensional genius. :D :lol:

darth los
29-Aug-2009, 01:42 PM
The difference is that vampires - as in neck-biting, undead immortals - are part of folklore. Most vampire films are based on the premise that vampires have been around for a very long time.

Night of the Living Dead does not exist as a movie within Romero's zombie films and therefore, within that fictional universe, the modern zombie film, with all the associated terminology and understanding of the "rules", does not exist. It is feasible, however, that characters might jokingly (or otherwise) associate the undead with the zombies of Hoodoo mythology or old black-and-white movies, and use the term "zombie" as derogatory slang.

I liked the way they did it ROTLD where they actually discussed another Zombie film: NOTLD of course!

MinionZombie
29-Aug-2009, 03:39 PM
and its in 2.35:1 :D
Gotta love 2.35:1 ... :cool:

Moon Knight
02-Sep-2009, 04:17 AM
I'm guessing using the word "zombie" in a current Romero film is understandable cause of the timeline. It's prolly been a couple years since the outbreak and they have been labled "things" "creatures" "ghouls" "Stench", ect.
Someone was bound to label them "zombie" sooner or later. I still don't like them using that term tho.

clanglee
02-Sep-2009, 09:41 AM
Gotta love 2.35:1 ... :cool:

No. . . no sir. . . I most definitely do NOT gotta love 2.35:1. . . .not one whit. . . good day sir!!

MinionZombie
02-Sep-2009, 10:30 AM
No. . . no sir. . . I most definitely do NOT gotta love 2.35:1. . . .not one whit. . . good day sir!!

:lol:

You'll not only like it, but you'll love it ... *grabs 2.35:1 and starts mushing it into Clang's face* :elol:

I'm guessing using the word "zombie" in a current Romero film is understandable cause of the timeline. It's prolly been a couple years since the outbreak and they have been labled "things" "creatures" "ghouls" "Stench", ect.
Someone was bound to label them "zombie" sooner or later. I still don't like them using that term tho.

It's not that far into an outbreak, I believe it's more around the Dawn of the Dead length of time - at the start of Dawn at least - i.e. a few weeks.

I did rather like the name "stenches" in Land, it was a new one on me. :)

krakenslayer
02-Sep-2009, 05:04 PM
How long do you think we'll wait for part 2 of 2? Or is it gonna be like the supposed series making-of clips from Diary, presented by the fat man, which ran for a grand total of one (1) episode? :lol:

Trin
02-Sep-2009, 05:19 PM
I like the name Stenches too. But I also liked dumb f*cks from Day. And I liked "those... things" from Dawn.

How the characters refer to the zombies... ahem, ghouls... says a lot about the mindset of the characters.

Regarding the clip - on the one hand I'm glad for the background/exposition on their situation and thoughts. I *loved* that stuff in Day. On the other hand... please... "the problem with Eden is that there are snakes"??? How cliche and cheesy can you get? Admittedly, I did not watch the video. I only read the dialogue. So maybe the delivery softens the blows.

krakenslayer
02-Sep-2009, 05:38 PM
I like the name Stenches too. But I also liked dumb f*cks from Day. And I liked "those... things" from Dawn.

How the characters refer to the zombies... ahem, ghouls... says a lot about the mindset of the characters.

Regarding the clip - on the one hand I'm glad for the background/exposition on their situation and thoughts. I *loved* that stuff in Day. On the other hand... please... "the problem with Eden is that there are snakes"??? How cliche and cheesy can you get? Admittedly, I did not watch the video. I only read the dialogue. So maybe the delivery softens the blows.

In the video he says: "problem with Eden..." long pause, lifts cigarette to mouth "is there are snakes". Just as he says "snakes", there is a crash of thunder outside, the light dies and we are plunged into darkness.

darth los
02-Sep-2009, 06:29 PM

Imo, the term zombies attempts to classify them.

What I like about romero's early dead films is that (save for one reference by peter) no one really knows what these things are. There's a mystery about them. Whent the word zombie is used, in a way, it says this is what these things are.

MinionZombie
02-Sep-2009, 06:40 PM
How long do you think we'll wait for part 2 of 2? Or is it gonna be like the supposed series making-of clips from Diary, presented by the fat man, which ran for a grand total of one (1) episode? :lol:
lol, aye, I was looking to see if 2-of-2 had come out yet, but nope.

And yeah, there were only two Diary vlogs put up (I mean wtf), I was well looking forward to that at the time...ah well, at least the 2-disc R2 DVD with custom artwork was kick ass, even if the film was (for me) a let down ... a let down that I still liked, but a let down nonetheless.

Survival though - oh hell yes please.

clanglee
02-Sep-2009, 07:56 PM
Admittedly, I did not watch the video. I only read the dialogue. So maybe the delivery softens the blows.

It does Trin. . a bit. It's cheesy, but I actually didn't hate it at all. The guy is not a bad actor. Just not a great smoker. He looks kinda uncomfortable with that thing in his hands. Not good for a character named "nicotine". . . maybe he is more used to the patch?

Altogether tho. . the video did make feel a little excited about the movie. It set a nice feeling that I hope the movie can keep up with.

darth los
02-Sep-2009, 08:31 PM
There's always potential until people outsmart themselves.

krakenslayer
02-Sep-2009, 10:55 PM
lol, aye, I was looking to see if 2-of-2 had come out yet, but nope.

And yeah, there were only two Diary vlogs put up (I mean wtf), I was well looking forward to that at the time...ah well, at least the 2-disc R2 DVD with custom artwork was kick ass, even if the film was (for me) a let down ... a let down that I still liked, but a let down nonetheless.

Survival though - oh hell yes please.

There was a second vlog? Wow, I must have missed that. I spent ages in the run up to Diary going back, checking the page to see if there was anything new before I finally gave up.

I hear what you're saying on the movie - that pretty much mirrors my sentiments on the matter. If it was made by anyone but Romero I'd call myself a fan of it, but out of his series so far it's definitely the bottom of the pack. But I must say, when I first saw it with mates at a film festival in Glasgow before it was released, I thought it was kickass. I was agreat experience and I think the atmosphere and the crowd that night had a lot to do with it. It even got an applause at the end. That's partly why I'll be seeing this one in the cinema if I have to crawl over glass.

Trin
03-Sep-2009, 12:36 AM
I try not to - but I'm getting excited about this movie.

darth los
03-Sep-2009, 01:34 AM
I try not to - but I'm getting excited about this movie.

We can't help it this is what we live for but with that comes heartache if it ends up sucking.