PDA

View Full Version : Disney to acquire Marvel for $4 billion in cash and stock

tkane18
31-Aug-2009, 03:32 PM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/disney-to-acquire-marvel-for-4-billion-2009-08-31

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Walt Disney Co. said on Monday it has reached a deal to acquire comic book titan Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in stock and cash, in a move that underscores the company's desire to have strong box-office franchises with appeal to families.

Marvel shares jumped 27% in early trading, to $48.88. Disney shares were down 1.3% at $26.49.

In a statement, Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger said "adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation."

Marvel shareholders would receive a total of $30 per share in cash plus approximately 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share they own.

At closing, the amount of cash and stock will be adjusted if necessary so that the total value of the Disney stock issued as merger consideration based on its trading value at that time is not less than 40% of the total merger consideration.

Based on the closing price of Disney stock on Friday, August 28, the transaction value is $50 per Marvel share or approximately $4 billion.

Ike Perlmutter, Marvel's CEO, would continue to oversee the Marvel properties, and work directly with Disney executives to integrate them into Disney's businesses.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Marvel including its more than 5,000 Marvel characters, including The Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the X-Men, The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man, all of which have been turned into highly valuable feature film franchises.

The three "Spider-Man" films, released in 2002, 2004 and 2007, have generated $2.5 billion in worldwide box-office receipts. Four "X-Men" movies have grabbed about $1.6 billion in global box office.

In late July, following Disney's latest earnings report, Iger pointed to the value of making movies that can easily be watched several times, during an era when DVD rentals are rising in popularity while DVD sales are in decline.

"If you want to watch a Pixar film, or you want your kids to watch it 50 times ... then owning it becomes a lot more convenient and more valuable than renting it," Iger told analysts during a conference call. " ... The notion that there's a market for everything isn't necessarily the case anymore. "It has to be good, and the price-to-value relationship has to be really high."

Disney acquired Pixar Animation Studios in 2006.

Several studios, including those owned by Time Warner Inc. and Viacom Inc. , have pointed out that while overall DVD sales are down in recent years, the biggest blockbusters - or so-called "tentpole" releases, are still doing well.

EvilNed
31-Aug-2009, 03:57 PM
Well this sucks.

krakenslayer
31-Aug-2009, 04:00 PM
Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger said "adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation."

And so Empire of the Rat continues to spread its tendrils across our cultural landscapes...

Danny
31-Aug-2009, 04:09 PM
marvels been going downhill since world war hulk ended, im more an image, oni and dark horse man myself, but say what you like about dc comics, for all thee multiverse bollocks, at least they have continuity, in 60 years spidey will still be a man in his early 20's worrying about his girlfriend, i'l take dick garyson as batman over 16 different comics about wolverine, in fact ive cut everything from my standing order but the incredible hulk and thor, everything else is way too angsty now, relying on an easters sound effect type cliffhanger at the end of every single issue.

bassman
31-Aug-2009, 04:18 PM
Just in time to take in the receipts of Iron Man 2.....

AcesandEights
31-Aug-2009, 04:43 PM
Noooooooooooooooo!!!

Damn you, Joey Q.! Damn you to hell*!

(*=I don't care, it must be Quesada's fault. :p)

kortick
31-Aug-2009, 05:14 PM
Marvels great period as a comic book company
ended long ago.
When Jim Shooter was EIC it still had some merit.

Then the 90s came and they got into the
hologram-3 different- polybagged collectors
covers and sold the same book to 'investors'
3 or 4 times. Then that bubble burst.

Heroes reborn was a huge pile of crap
the idea to relaunch every title from the
begining was a stupid thing to do, and they
reverted back to the old issue numbers.

Now they are more of a corporate entity
instead of a collection of creative minds.
The number of great artists and writers
they have employed is staggering,
(including all the founders of Image) many of
which refuse to work for Marvel ever again.

Maybe the buy out by Disney will encourage
people like John Byrne, Jim Starlin, and so many others
to come back and work with the great charecters
created long ago by Kirby and Lee.

I remember the days of buying a copy of X-Men
for 35 cents or so and having it written and drawn
by Chris Claremont and John Byrne and it was bi-monthly
cuz it wasnt popular enough to be a monthly yet, and
watching Jean Grey get corrupted into the Black Queen
and then Dark Phoenix. Those were days when Marvel
comics were different from the competitors.

Maybe a complete overhaul is what is needed.

MikePizzoff
31-Aug-2009, 06:25 PM
Well this sucks.

Well put. Thankfully The Walking Dead aren't on Marvel.

Mr.G
31-Aug-2009, 08:24 PM
Eh, DC is owned by the WB so I'll withold judgement. Disney would be stupid to stick their nose into an area that seems to be run well. And no, I'm not a marvel zombie....I only read 3 books from them and 20+ from DC.

BillyRay
31-Aug-2009, 09:20 PM
It'll probably end up working like the Pixar deal - a fair ammount of autonomy for the folks who are already running the show + the advantage of the Mouse's deep pockets & wide distribution network.

Although this was a shock, it's fair to say that this prolly won't affect the day-to-day running of the Marvel Universe.

kortick
31-Aug-2009, 10:27 PM
Disney buying Marvel most likely wont affect thier
day to day, it could in other ways.

Like when Mad Magazine was taken over by DC Comics/
Warner Bros. the content didnt really change but
they began accepting advertisers and publishing in
color on high stock glossy paper, 2 things that
Bill Gaines forbid when he was alive, plus they
jacked the price to $5.99 per issue. Gaines kept
Mad low budget so it was affordable and "cheap" looking.

How Disney will change the way Marvel comics are
made might not be in the content but the presentation.
We will just have to see.

Mr.G
31-Aug-2009, 11:05 PM
Disney buying Marvel most likely wont affect thier
day to day, it could in other ways.

Like when Mad Magazine was taken over by DC Comics/
Warner Bros. the content didnt really change but
they began accepting advertisers and publishing in
color on high stock glossy paper, 2 things that
Bill Gaines forbid when he was alive, plus they
jacked the price to $5.99 per issue. Gaines kept
Mad low budget so it was affordable and "cheap" looking.

Holy SH**! That magazine is 6 bucks? As in EVERY issue? What hole have I been living in....

kortick
01-Sep-2009, 12:22 AM
Yup.
$6 an issue for Mad now that DC/Warner took them over.
And thats with added revenue from advertising.
Which they never had before.

And now a preview:

http://i29.tinypic.com/2aje72h.jpg

acealive1
01-Sep-2009, 02:45 AM
they better keep a barrier up between disney and marvel cuz if not, bye bye to 'real' comic book adaptations

sandrock74
01-Sep-2009, 03:26 AM
It will be interesting to see if Disney keeps Marvels deal with Diamond Distribution, or does something different. If Disney pulls Marvel out of Diamonds clutches, it could change the distribution side of comics...which could help everyone else...like small press and self publishers *cough* likeme *cough*.

Toy companies would also feel the effects. Marvels deal with Hasbro will most likely go bye bye, since Disney uses Mattel, but Marvel does have its own toy company, so they could keep it "in house". Hasbro should thank the stars they outright own Transformers and G.I. Joe!

This will all be interesting to watch unfold...

kortick
01-Sep-2009, 06:16 AM
Diamond has been out of control for a while.

I dont know if Disney will stop using them as
a distributor, but I imagine they will put the
squeeze on them for better deals.

This might make Diamond more friendly to independents
again like they used to be before they raised thier
pre-order amounts to levels that are near impossible
for a new self published comic to meet.

When Capital City was still a distributor (before Diamond bought them)
and there were 2 major players in the field, it was easier
to get new independant product on the market.

I'd like to see Disney in some way break Diamonds
monopoly, but I wouldnt count on it just yet.

darth los
02-Sep-2009, 08:45 PM
Stan Lee did alright for himself huh?

:cool:

clanglee
02-Sep-2009, 11:50 PM
Ok, So I love Marvel and I love Disney. . . so you would think I would be all for this deal. Well for the most part I guess I am. It opens up some great posibilities in the future of Comic movie adaptations. The thing that I worry about is silly really. .but worry I must. Marvel characters are a big part of Universal studios Orlando. The Spiderman ride there is one of the. . if not THE most amazing(sic) rides in the world. What will happen to it now? The other Marvel themed rides there can get by with a name change, but the Spidey ride is all Spiderman. That is not gonna be easy to change. This will also tilt things in favor of Disney Parks as far as competition goes, which I don't like. I like the competition high so that both parks try extra hard to be the best and us dorky tourists reap the benefits. Drats. . .

Exatreides
11-Sep-2009, 01:31 AM
Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I thought this would help contribute a bit to the discussion<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uyYb_r4cZHE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uyYb_r4cZHE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>