PDA

View Full Version : straight edge kids...

Mike70
31-Aug-2009, 05:48 PM
i retired from going to punk and thrash shows in 1996 or so. that was after having seen every conceivably cool band in either genre.

my question is: are there still straight edge idiots out there and are they still as nasty as they were in 1989?

hopefully this cult of retards died out in 1999 as a result of massive inbreeding.

i never had much tolerance for straight edge. i always thought it was about as non-punk/thrash as it gets. not to mention that the vast majority of those kids were complete assholes and at the epicenter of most trouble at shows.

krakenslayer
31-Aug-2009, 06:14 PM
i retired from going to punk and thrash shows in 1996 or so. that was after having seen every conceivably cool band in either genre.

my question is: are there still straight edge idiots out there and are they still as nasty as they were in 1989?

hopefully this cult of retards died out in 1999 as a result of massive inbreeding.

i never had much tolerance for straight edge. i always thought it was about as non-punk/thrash as it gets. not to mention that the vast majority of those kids were complete assholes and at the epicenter of most trouble at shows.

SXE is still out there. In fact, I've only started to be aware of them since the early 2000s or so. Perhaps that's just because I was too young to notice them before that, and there were none at any of my schools.

I never understood them. If you don't want to drink or smoke, fine. It's personal choice. Why join a subculture of elitist assholes just to show it off?

MikePizzoff
31-Aug-2009, 06:28 PM
Yes, there are straight edge kids in the scene. No, they are not as big of assholes as they were. I can remember when I'd go to punk or hardcore shows in the late 90's, the straight edge "gangs" would be there and they'd be messing people up; it wasn't cool.

Now, I hang out with some straight edge kids, but they have no qualms with us "poisoning" ourselves. They hang out when we're partying and they'll do even crazier things.

I'm friends with a few bands that have militant straight (hate) edge lyrics, although they're completely tongue-in-cheek.

Mike70
31-Aug-2009, 06:29 PM
SXE is still out there. In fact, I've only started to be aware of them since the early 2000s or so. Perhaps that's just because I was too young to notice them before that, and there were none at any of my schools.

I never understood them. If you don't want to drink or smoke, fine. It's personal choice. Why join a subculture of elitist assholes just to show it off?

that's unfortunate. the world would be better off without those dorks.

my main vexation with them comes from the fact that in the late 80s we were all being subjected to a massive govt. propoganda campaign as part of the so-called "war on drugs." i always felt that the whole straight edge thing was a cop out and a massive surrender to outside pressure.

parent and govt. approved punk rock (or substitute any genre) sounds fun doesn't? oh, reagan says we're doing the right thing for america, we are rocking now for sure.

and a lot of it comes from my own personality: i cannot stand people who are wrapped up in causes; who want to change the world to suit them and are always foaming on at the mouth about some silly ass social or political bug up their ass. people like that make me break out in fucking hives.

krakenslayer
31-Aug-2009, 06:58 PM
and a lot of it comes from my own personality: i cannot stand people who are wrapped up in causes; who want to change the world to suit them and are always foaming on at the mouth about some silly ass social or political bug up their ass. people like that make me break out in fucking hives.

Oh, I believe people should fight for what they believe to be right. SxE kids are different because it's all about belonging to an "elite" (for some of them anyway) and trying to be "extreme" and all high and mighty about it.

acealive1
31-Aug-2009, 07:20 PM
Why join a subculture of elitist assholes just to show it off?

i dont know, ask skin heads or nazi's the same question.

krakenslayer
31-Aug-2009, 07:46 PM
i dont know, ask skin heads or nazi's the same question.

Well, yeah... :p

EvilNed
31-Aug-2009, 09:07 PM
I've never met a straight-edge person as described in this thread. I've met people who don't drink, sure, but they weren't assholes.

krakenslayer
31-Aug-2009, 09:13 PM
I've never met a straight-edge person as described in this thread. I've met people who don't drink, sure, but they weren't assholes.

Nah... straight edge is a specific subculture of like-minded people, not just anyone who happens to not drink. Often they will also forego even mild psychoactives like caffeine. Their culture is inextricably connected to their musical "scene". Many of them, though not all, see it as an opportunity to be part of an insider group and look down upon others, and quite a few of them are hypocrites (lets just say, of the few SxE kids I know, when the wheels fall off the wagon, they fall off big time).

EvilNed
31-Aug-2009, 09:14 PM
Ah. This is probably a sub-culture that never really got a foothold in good old dear Sweden... :p

acealive1
01-Sep-2009, 02:44 AM
Well, yeah... :p

:lol::lol:

im straight edge too,but that doesnt meant i walk around with a chip on my shoulder. i just choose to be aware of my surroundings at all times

Trencher
01-Sep-2009, 09:36 AM
I can understand that people that dont want to drink or do drugs band together for protection, I seen plenty of people getting their ass kicked for being "boring"

slickwilly13
01-Sep-2009, 02:38 PM
I am semi straight edged and often confused with being totally straight edged.

Mike70
01-Sep-2009, 02:59 PM
I am semi straight edged and often confused with being totally straight edged.

how are you semi straight edge? if i remember correctly, the folks in the sub-culture don't take too kindly to half measures.

krakenslayer
01-Sep-2009, 04:10 PM
how are you semi straight edge? if i remember correctly, the folks in the sub-culture don't take too kindly to half measures.

Semi-straight edge = gently curving edge?

Mike70
01-Sep-2009, 04:23 PM
Semi-straight edge = gently curving edge?

straight edge calculus.

slickwilly13
01-Sep-2009, 08:36 PM

I do a great job at hiding it. ;)

Exatreides
01-Sep-2009, 10:12 PM
there still are in the chicago area and the majority of them are all ass holes. Though I do hang out with a rather unsavory group of grind core/thrash groups.