PDA

View Full Version : a ripoff? you decide...

Mike70
03-Sep-2009, 02:56 PM
i was listening to the theme from "deep red" by goblin last night and it suddenly hit me - it sounds just like tubular bells by mike oldfield. too much to my mind to be a coincidence.

rZULOZVcGDY

tubular bells

bYmIKcP7Nbc

EvilNed
03-Sep-2009, 03:30 PM
Maybe the first 15 seconds, but once the bass kicks in in Deep Red I can't hear much similarities to be honest.

darth los
03-Sep-2009, 03:51 PM
I hear simalarities but nothing that would constitute a copyright infringement, imo.

I see what you mean though.

:cool:

Mike70
03-Sep-2009, 03:52 PM
Maybe the first 15 seconds, but once the bass kicks in in Deep Red I can't hear much similarities to be honest.

actually, i think when the bass kicks in it only deepens the similarity. the bass line laid over deep red is similar to the one in tubular bells in tone and in the style in which it is used to overlay. maybe it's just one of those things you pick up on when you are into musical theory as much as i am.

EvilNed
03-Sep-2009, 05:21 PM
actually, i think when the bass kicks in it only deepens the similarity. the bass line laid over deep red is similar to the one in tubular bells in tone and in the style in which it is used to overlay. maybe it's just one of those things you pick up on when you are into musical theory as much as i am.

I disagree, myself. I think the basses are, first and foremost, very different in tone and I would probably never have linked them two together if it wasn't for this thread. And truth be told, I probably still won't whenever I hear these songs in the future. The bass in the Deep Red song is so different from the Tubular Bells one for me that, as I said, once it kicks in, all similarities are gone. And the longer you get into the songs, I just can't hear anything similar. Except for the starting "bells" of both.

krakenslayer
03-Sep-2009, 05:29 PM
Here's another one I noticed a while back. Listen to this:

i3ieQxm_M2I

And then listen to this one (wait till after the intro):

6MAOLbylg8A

DubiousComforts
03-Sep-2009, 05:51 PM
Here's another one I noticed a while back. Listen to this:
I was also going to mention Phantasm, which is much more similar to Tubular Bells than the Profondo Rosso theme. The original theme to Halloween is derivative as well. This style is simply typical of 70s progressive rock and if anything, the bass lines are borrowed from Chris Squire.

Check out this guy, he totally nails Profondo Rosso:
mIENqOezqic

The only part that doesn't sound authentic is the guitar arpeggio.

kortick
05-Sep-2009, 02:18 PM
Tubular Bells and Profondo Rosso sound alike
because the are both played
in the key of Am with the low E as the first note,
but the actual songs are quite different
when u play them.

Most of the theme songs use minor keys.
Nightmare on Elm St is in Am as well
and starts on that low E.

Halloween is a little different cuz it shifts
and doesnt actually stay in any key due
to the half note it uses and the drop it does
isnt in key either. C is higher note F lower note.
C C C C#
FF FF F F

Then it drops a half step and repeats
then the same pattern repeats in a different key.

But both songs TB and PR are played in the same key
and use the same notes and use mostly 8th notes
so they d have similar tones
but the melodies are different.

DubiousComforts
05-Sep-2009, 04:46 PM
Halloween is a little different cuz it shifts
and doesnt actually stay in any key due
to the half note it uses and the drop it does
isnt in key either. C is higher note F lower note.
C C C C#
FF FF F F
You can move to notes outside of a scale to add tension, but still remain in the established key. The Halloween theme as outlined above is the key of F minor because a root-fifth-minor 6th pattern implies a minor scale, just like the Tales from the Darkside theme. The pedal notes F and Ab are also held under the ostinato until it shifts down a half step. The Halloween pattern then repeats on Eb minor and Bb minor, but these notes primarily revolve around F minor, as well.

The main reason these themes sound similar is because all (except for ANOES) are composed of repeating 8th/16th note ostinatoes in minor keys.

krakenslayer
05-Sep-2009, 05:07 PM
*holds hand flat and sweeps it through the air above his head while making a whooshing sound*

blind2d
07-Sep-2009, 05:41 AM
Studying music this much makes my head hurt. *pops more pills* -2D
And you guys sold over 6 million records how?
Marketing. And my devilish good looks. -Murdoc
Every action we take in creating new music is thoroughly checked with existing recordings by other artists. We take it very seriously and know exactly what we are... getting into. -Noodle

DubiousComforts
08-Sep-2009, 11:45 PM
*holds hand flat and sweeps it through the air above his head while making a whooshing sound*
Hey, weren't you the guy that mentioned music theory? :D

Here's a blatantly obvious similarity that I just noticed listening to cheesy pop radio:

the verse in Green Day's 21 Guns...
gNjiqygkBDw

is exactly like the verse in Scott McKenzie's San Francisco,
OdvCqUguIh8

Same notes, same chords, the only difference is the Green Day song has been transposed to the key of Dm (from E minor). They also wear a lot more eye liner.