PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dawn of the Dead DVD

Russian DeadMan
08-Sep-2009, 09:16 PM
Hello, fellow DEAD fans. I'm a huge Romero fan i'm glad to finally be here.:) I have a little problem that, i hope, you can help me to solve. I got an Ultimate Edition DVD few years ago and already watched it about hundred times.:) My favourite version is Extended , and that's exactly one i have trouble with. I always watched this movie on TV, but other day i decided to check it on my PC. And i've been realy surprised when found, that almost 2,5 hours movie takes just 5.5 Gb on disk, when, for example, Theatrical version, wich is shorter, takes almost 7 Gb and looks just great. Such a little size of Extended cut affects an image quality and in some darker scenes movie looks compressed as shit. It is especialy noticeable in additional fragments.
As you all may see from my nick, i'm not U.S. resident;), so i can't just go to the store and buy another box set. And before ordering new one from Amazon i'd like to be sure if problem is with my particular copy. Or maybe all UE sets have similiar shortcomings? Did anyone of you ever face such trouble?
I'd be very grateful to you all for response. And please, forgive me, if my english causes you pain.:D

Monrozombi
08-Sep-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm not dvd expert but it sounds like that when AB encoded the video they used a slightly less then quality encoding of the film to get everything on that particular disc. I dont' think purchasing another copy of the UE box set will change anything, just sounds like the encoding isn't as up to par as the Theatrical cut.

capncnut
09-Sep-2009, 07:54 AM
Добро пожаловать

I think Monrozombi has offered the best explanation. The quality of the Extended Version has always been a bit muddy. Plus you have to think that there's a 139 minute film, audio commentary, extras, three stills galleries, sound options, menus, etc, all on a single DVD. That has to be seriously compressed to fit, surely.

Again, welcome to the forum. :)

Russian DeadMan
09-Sep-2009, 08:58 AM
Thank you for explanation. But then why AB wouldn't use all data dvd allows to use? Why use just 5.5 Gb? It's strange:)

P.S. capncnut, thank you for hospitality!

axlish
09-Sep-2009, 11:06 PM
The Theatrical Cut was released earlier that year in a Divimax version. Divimax is known for using the maximum bitrate allowable for a DVD. The Theatrical Cut in the box set is the same disc as the Divimax release, so that would explain the large file size. The Extended Cut was not given the Divimax treatment, so the bitrate isn't as high thus creating a smaller file size.

I can't wait for the Euro and Extended cuts to debut on Blu-ray :)

Monrozombi
10-Sep-2009, 12:12 AM
I can't wait for the Euro and Extended cuts to debut on Blu-ray :)

:D:D

and add NOTLD 68 and 90 to that list

axlish
10-Sep-2009, 02:11 AM
:D:D

and add NOTLD 68 and 90 to that list

There is a Night 68 Blu overseas (UK), but I don't think I am capable. Apparently it is the same master used for the latest Weinstein DVD release. I'm not a huge fan of Night 90, but for some reason when I read that, the sound of that coming to Blu-ray made me anxious! :)