PDA

View Full Version : GTA IV a dissapointment?

Trancelikestate
09-Sep-2009, 03:22 AM
Were any of you dissapointed with gta IV? sure obviously the graphics advanced, driving handling advanced, fun new liberty city, but what about the things san andreas has that IV doesnt? planes? jetpacks? i feel like even though its a better game, you do less. also i always kinda thought saints row ripped off the gta idea, but i think saints row 2 is far superior to IV because you can customize your own characters, buy beers and weed, all kinds of stuff you cant do in IV. in fact whenever i'm refering to IV i'm usually using the word "can't" anyone else?

Danny
09-Sep-2009, 03:25 AM
it was pretty meh for me too, but from what ive read there pulling out all the stops to make red dead redemption a proper open world experience.

Trancelikestate
09-Sep-2009, 03:55 AM
yeah dude, wtf were they thinking? better graphics more limitations. and for once couldnt they release a gta where all the islands are open from the start? i've always thought that was absolutly retarded. what sense does that make? if i wanted to take the game further i'd say ok, lets have where u can do MORE not less.

capncnut
09-Sep-2009, 07:38 AM
Yeah, but it was a total overhaul so this was to be expected. Actually if you look at the DLC you will notice more and more things are being included that didn't make the game.

GTA IV isn't as good as San Andreas, sure, but I think it's a pretty strong start for current gen GTA. Nico is my favourite character in the series too.

MikePizzoff
09-Sep-2009, 08:13 AM
At first, I was blown away by GTA IV. So many little awesome details to the city and it's citizens. However, the love only lasted a few weeks... resulting in my selling of the game and regretfulness of getting rid of San Andreas prior.

EDIT = 3,600th post!

SymphonicX
09-Sep-2009, 09:17 AM
I couldn't believe what a dissapointment this game turned out to be. My comments on here were well documented. From the lack of interesting things to do, to the shitty control mechanisms that they still haven't got right (although you can make it better in the options...still annoying), and repetitive missions that GTA has had since number 3...they went for style over substance, and forgot to make an interesting and fun game.

and to think it got 10/10 in most reviews, to me that's just fishy as f**k. The game is at most a 7, maybe an 8 due to its gfx...

Trancelikestate
09-Sep-2009, 09:32 AM
I couldn't believe what a dissapointment this game turned out to be. My comments on here were well documented. From the lack of interesting things to do, to the shitty control mechanisms that they still haven't got right (although you can make it better in the options...still annoying), and repetitive missions that GTA has had since number 3...they went for style over substance, and forgot to make an interesting and fun game.

and to think it got 10/10 in most reviews, to me that's just fishy as f**k. The game is at most a 7, maybe an 8 due to its gfx...

well said! i saw that gamescore earlier and was like huh? :confused:

bassman
09-Sep-2009, 11:54 AM
I friggin love GTAIV. It's one of only two games that I still play regularly even though I've finished them. Yeah....some of the cool features from San Andreas are missing, but it looks like they're fixing that issue with the DLC.

MinionZombie
09-Sep-2009, 01:19 PM
I friggin love GTAIV. It's one of only two games that I still play regularly even though I've finished them. Yeah....some of the cool features from San Andreas are missing, but it looks like they're fixing that issue with the DLC.
Damn straight.

I've invested well over 150 hours into GTA IV, and I've played the story mode twice, done all the side missions and such. I love this game.

I do wish you could have more chance to really go on big-ass rampages, and for the cops to not be so hot on your ass so fast, and for there to be a silenced pistol, and for more side-stuff to do during-and-after the main story, but aside from those small issues, I absolutely loved GTA IV.

San Andreas, while big with lots to see and do, was nowhere near as good as Vice City. I hated the characters (all that crap-ass 'gangsta' bullshit again). GTA IV on the other hand, despite being technically in a smaller game world than San Andreas, felt just as big - although it needs more variation in landscape, I have to say.

GTA IV also has a great story, with characters I genuinely care about, and Niko Belic is a great character and really fun to play as. San Andreas' story was total pish, with a central cast I didn't care for at all.

San Andreas also felt a bit too 'celebrity' for my liking - "look how many famous songs and voices we can cram into it" - whereas GTA IV had a more eclectic soundtrack by comparison, and less celebrity voices, or ones that were harder to find, or not so mainstream necessarily...

Plus, visually, it was ABOUT FUCKING TIME they upgraded to a new engine, because by San Andreas it was looking OLD AS SHIT.

Looking forward to getting the DLC on disc come October. :)

As for Saints Row 2 - it's more arcadey, and mainly just about being silly. The graphics are pretty plain (they even look a bit worse than the first, or maybe it's just my mind playing tricks). It's full of bugs, glitches, crashes, freezes, and inconsistent coding. The side missions are mostly fun (and many carried over from the first), but their difficulty ranges WIDELY - from impossible to fail, to impossible to complete.

I do rather like the refilling health meter though - it allows you to really get a good-ass rampage going, which is missing from GTA IV.

GTA IV needed about 15% more silliness & rampage about it.

Saints Row 2 needed about 95% better coding. I cannot tell you how many times SR2 pissed me off as I played it, which really damaged the fun I was having with the game.

SR2's story was also pish - that same old 'gangsta thug' bullshit that was already old in San Andreas. The characters were crap too, a bunch of assholes you don't care for.

I did rather like the customisation though, the range of cars, the huge garages you have, the ability to buy numerous cribs and deck them out to your heart's content, as well as there being pole dancers, strippers and nakedness in the game. :p

Apparently SR3 will be completely different, so I heard ages ago - and it's about damn time too - they need to completely overhaul the entire franchise, new setting, different characters, absolutely no gang-banger crap, proper coding, new engine etc.

GTA IV ftw!

Also - Trance - didn't you bitch about GTA IV and adore SR2 in another thread a while ago? :p

bassman
09-Sep-2009, 01:50 PM
Nico is my favourite character in the series too.

He was awesome...but I can't put him above Ray Liotta as Vercetti. I mean...RAY FUCKING LIOTTA!:cool::p

MinionZombie
09-Sep-2009, 02:16 PM
He was awesome...but I can't put him above Ray Liotta as Vercetti. I mean...RAY FUCKING LIOTTA!:cool::p
I'd tie Niko Belic and Tommy Vercetti. They both have that sarcastic sense of humour, and are both perfectly voiced.

I'd love to see a GTA set in the 70s, and hell, another one set in the 80s too. Vice City was so super awesome.

Danny
09-Sep-2009, 02:20 PM
I'd tie Niko Belic and Tommy Vercetti. They both have that sarcastic sense of humour, and are both perfectly voiced.

I'd love to see a GTA set in the 70s, and hell, another one set in the 80s too. Vice City was so super awesome.

aye,what he said, niko was world weary and sarcastic, tommy had a chip on his shoulder and a grudge against the world, the other guy was a random dick and the sanandreas guy was a "videogame" black guy. guess which two i preferred.

Officer tenpenny was a great videogame bad guy compared to the traditional emo bullshit in videgames.

ProfessorChaos
09-Sep-2009, 02:37 PM
i just picked up a copy of SR2 yesterday, and i really think i've had more fun running around and fucking shit during the opening missions than i did in my entire playing cycle of GTA4.

while gta4 has a better story, graphics, and characters, SR2 is balls-to-the-wall fun, something gta fucked up on this time around. maybe the gay tony dlc will throw some of that shit back in...but i'm totally hooked on SR2 right now and probably won't touch gta4 again till gay tony comes out, then dive back into SR2 after i finish that.

but yeah, after beating the main story, there isn't shit to do in gta4, except piss off the cops and get fucked up by the pigs within 15 minutes....no rampages, no fun vehicles, etc.

so while gta4 is great, it's no vice city or san andreas, so it is a bit anti-climatic. and now that i'm digging SR2, gta4 seems even less fun...:|

MinionZombie
09-Sep-2009, 05:52 PM
Just wait until you get ass-humped by the various bugs, glitches and crashes in SR2 though - I was having a great time till I got those. Several times I'd finish a mission that was long and annoying, and then - typically - it would freeze. Never the easy missions, always the hard, long ones - thanks a bunch. How about you save during the mission, and then save before the mission ending cut scene and myriad of "you've unlocked" screens.

Plus the side missions have widely ranging difficulties.

I might go back to SR2 and fuck around a bit more - you do get to have more rampage fun, even a LOT more rampage fun, than you do in GTA IV (which is my key complaint, from my small list of niggles).

At the moment I've gone back to GTA IV actually, and I'm just yomping around in cars, fucking shit up, shooting up the joint etc ... I do desperately want something new to do with GTA IV though - so I'm very much looking forward to the DLC on disc next month.

Trancelikestate
09-Sep-2009, 08:53 PM
Also - Trance - didn't you bitch about GTA IV and adore SR2 in another thread a while ago? :p

haha, did i? i dont recall that but its possible.

i remember when vice city came out and i was like man this looks very cartoony. i didnt like it at first but it def grew on me. gta IV looks way more real but yeah the cops do bust your arse quick.

EvilNed
09-Sep-2009, 08:54 PM
GTA IV a disappointment?

Heck no. I was never a big fan of the GTA games, but GTA IV was very fun. I loved shooting and killing innocent bystanders. Their animations were just so realistic that the whole thing turned into some sadistic massacre-simulation. Loved it!

Oh, and walking by old ladies sitting down on benches, and casually dropping a grenade right infront of them is priceless.

MinionZombie
10-Sep-2009, 09:36 AM
GTA IV a disappointment?

Heck no. I was never a big fan of the GTA games, but GTA IV was very fun. I loved shooting and killing innocent bystanders. Their animations were just so realistic that the whole thing turned into some sadistic massacre-simulation. Loved it!

Oh, and walking by old ladies sitting down on benches, and casually dropping a grenade right infront of them is priceless.
*steps away slowly* :lol:

EvilNed
10-Sep-2009, 10:08 AM
Oh come on. I know I'm not the only one who went on killing sprees.

blind2d
10-Sep-2009, 10:42 AM
Fun game. Molotov cocktails in restaurants with fireproof cheat... I could do that for days. Jumping off buildings is also hilarious.

MinionZombie
10-Sep-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh come on. I know I'm not the only one who went on killing sprees.

:lol:

Well you're right about that.