PDA

View Full Version : Variety Review

DubiousComforts
09-Sep-2009, 01:57 PM
In the obsessive-compulsive race to find out every little detail of the new film before it premieres, I can't believe that one whole day has gone by without anyone noticing an actual review: VARIETY (http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117940983.html?categoryid=31&cs=1)

You guys have gotten soft.

krakenslayer
09-Sep-2009, 02:05 PM
Wow, it gets pretty much ripped. The anti-commentary crowd will be pleased though. :D

Danny
09-Sep-2009, 02:17 PM
oh dear....

MinionZombie
09-Sep-2009, 02:20 PM
88 minutes? Damn that's short...or seems short anyway. Land was only 8 minutes longer ... guess it's just the association of above/below 90 minutes.

Anyway - I don't pay attention to reviews of new GAR flicks, he's had many bad reviews in the past too - I'm far more interested in, and respectful of, what the fans think.

Also - how come the reviewer mentioned Night, Dawn, Land and Diary but not Day! :rolleyes: Get your act together, yeah? :p

DubiousComforts
09-Sep-2009, 02:26 PM
Wow, it gets pretty much ripped. The anti-commentary crowd will be pleased though. :D
I don't know if the "faithful fans" should appreciate being compared to the mindless living dead "horde" as they "shuffle" off to the see the film.

Apparently, there's abundant irony in reviews of Romero movies, too.

MinionZombie
09-Sep-2009, 02:35 PM
Plus Day of the Dead got rinsed when it came out ... and that movie kicks ass.

bassman
09-Sep-2009, 02:37 PM
Plus Day of the Dead got rinsed when it came out ... and that movie kicks ass.

WORD

I'm not big on reviews for Romero's films. Usually "normal" folk don't enjoy the same film as this crooked bunch does.:p

DubiousComforts
09-Sep-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't get it. This reviewer simply wrote what most people here will likely be saying once they see the film: "NIGHT, DAWN gooood! DIARY, SURVIVAL baaaaaad!"

This is not to mention all the personal digs soon to be lobbed in Romero's direction by his "fans" over a movie. It's sure to make that Variety review look like a real peach in comparison.

So to recap: dedicated "fans" are allowed to tear into a Romero film, but professional critics are not. Gotcha. Can't have anyone stealing our thunder, dammit!

Skippy911sc
09-Sep-2009, 03:13 PM
OUCH!

That was a tough review, but I hate to say that I sort of think it will ring true. It seems, to me, that GAR has lost something special. When I watch the first three films there is a certain feel, a quality...maybe something that I can't explain clearly. Then comes the new films and they just seem cheap, and amateurish nothing that screams a new classic. I have seen Land several times and plan on watching diary a few more time, but they just lack the heart and feel of the others. I was hoping for something more and I am willing to give the film a chance but this review does not bode well.

AcesandEights
09-Sep-2009, 04:10 PM
Ugggh, this reviewer can definitely not be trusted--he had something semi-positive to say about Diary :p

Well, it sounds like Survival could very well suck, but I knew that already. I still think it has a chance to be something I'll enjoy. We just need it to come out and then we shall see what we shall see.

Fecunditatis
09-Sep-2009, 04:34 PM
I've read also a French and a Spanish review. The French is negative too, and bemoans the lack of social commentary (!). The Spanish one is more positive, and both agree on the abundance of gore and inventive kills.

We'll have to wait and see.

Danny
09-Sep-2009, 05:00 PM
a couple of snippets across thar interwebz are naming this the worst of the 6 zed flicks by george.

my eloquent response:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/RAGEFACE.jpg

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

sirjacktorrance
09-Sep-2009, 05:01 PM
can you link the spanish review??

Neil
09-Sep-2009, 05:15 PM
In the obsessive-compulsive race to find out every little detail of the new film before it premieres, I can't believe that one whole day has gone by without anyone noticing an actual review: VARIETY (http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117940983.html?categoryid=31&cs=1)

As I feared :(

DubiousComforts
09-Sep-2009, 05:20 PM
I think I liked it better when one could watch a Romero movie in a vacuum.

krakenslayer
09-Sep-2009, 05:53 PM
can you link the spanish review??

This is a machine translated version, so it doesn't make a lot of sense: http://blog.80millionmoviesfree.com/in-theaters/survival-of-the-dead-2009-they-rise-from-death

DjfunkmasterG
09-Sep-2009, 05:54 PM
I have read worse about Diary, and I loved Diary. However, I will say this... based on clips released this still looks stupid and retarded, but I will save judgement until I have watched it.

capncnut
09-Sep-2009, 06:18 PM
I will save judgement until I have watched it.
Ditto.

darth los
09-Sep-2009, 06:29 PM
In a way it's really sad that we have to reserve judgement.

It's the byproduct of being disappointed so many times after months of anticipation for a particular film.

It's like being hurt in one relationship after the other until there comes a point where you just don't put your heart into it and look forward to things like you used to.

Stop breaking our hearts Gar!! :(

:cool:

Fecunditatis
10-Sep-2009, 06:52 AM
Sir Jack, it seems I can't place the first Spanish review I read. I found it in a Google search (I think the kewyords I typed were "venecia survival of the dead critica"), but I haven't been able to find it again.

Anyway, even if you probably have already seen these, the guy in "El mundo" says it's good fun (even if not at all Romero's best film):

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2009/09/09/cultura/1252511103.html

And Boyero proves himself a presumptuous asshole once again, lamenting that the Venice Festival should screen this kind of garbage and going as far as writing that the original NOTLD is "obviously weak":

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/impresentables/zombies/George/Romero/elpepucul/20090910elpepicul_3/Tes

Ghost Of War
10-Sep-2009, 07:42 AM
I have read worse about Diary, and I loved Diary.....I will save judgement until I have watched it.

Same here. I thought Diary was better than Land, and I enjoyed Land too. I'm looking forward to watching Survival... and making my own mind up about it.

sirjacktorrance
10-Sep-2009, 09:05 AM
Sir Jack, it seems I can't place the first Spanish review I read. I found it in a Google search (I think the kewyords I typed were "venecia survival of the dead critica"), but I haven't been able to find it again.

Anyway, even if you probably have already seen these, the guy in "El mundo" says it's good fun (even if not at all Romero's best film):

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2009/09/09/cultura/1252511103.html

And Boyero proves himself a presumptuous asshole once again, lamenting that the Venice Festival should screen this kind of garbage and going as far as writing that the original NOTLD is "obviously weak":

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/impresentables/zombies/George/Romero/elpepucul/20090910elpepicul_3/Tes

thank you, itīs hilarious.Boyero is the"impresentable" guy .itīs funny see the old george destroying the standards of the "serious" festival.the man is a punk rocker and his new movie has made noise in erope.
on the negative ,thereīs a spanish crtc that loved land of the dead who was very dissapointed with survival....

MontagMOI
12-Sep-2009, 11:24 PM
Well, I don't think Variety's review should be taken too seriously when they have a screenshot showing 'Alex' Van Sprang in action :p

MikePizzoff
12-Sep-2009, 11:41 PM
Well, I don't think Variety's review should be taken too seriously when they have a screenshot showing 'Alex' Van Sprang in action :p

:confused: I don't get it.

krakenslayer
12-Sep-2009, 11:50 PM
:confused: I don't get it.

That's not his name. :P

bd2999
13-Sep-2009, 04:34 AM
Some will like it, some will not and some will hate it. Just like with Diary and Land. Just sort of the way it is I think. I agree that the new films are lacking something but not sure what it is. It might be characters you can somewhat relate to. I honestly liked how human the characters in Night and Dawn were. Did not like many in Day but it fit the film. The others I did not even like the people you were meant to like. So I figure for more of the same.

MinionZombie
13-Sep-2009, 10:41 AM
That's not his name. :P
Plus they mention all of GAR's zombie flicks except for Day of the Dead. :lol::p

Doi........

Trin
13-Sep-2009, 02:25 PM
Wow. That review is eye-opening (along with a couple others I've read that all say about the same thing).

I'm not sure which I like worse. The idea of the social commentary driving the plot in weird and implausible ways (ala Land & Diary) or the idea of a crazy weird plot *without* a clear social commentary. I had not even considered that was a possibility.

I'm also personally sick of the "zombie kill gags" being weighed in a Dead movie review. Why would anyone care about how the zombies meet their demise, must less critique a movie on coming up with new and inventing gags for destroying the undead. Save that for Woody ala Zombieland.

Oh, well, my money is reserved to see this in the theater with a big bucket of popcorn and a huge drink and nice low expectations. I should have a blast.