PDA

View Full Version : The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...new novel?!?!

MoonSylver
10-Sep-2009, 05:38 AM
Don't know if there are any fans of the series on here, but whilst surfing ye olde web out of boredom this am I was pleasantly surprised to discover there is a SIXTH installment in the series due out Oct. 19th!

It was announced on 17 September 2008 that Artemis Fowl author Eoin Colfer has been commissioned to write the sixth installment entitled "And Another Thing..." with Jane Belson, Adams' widow, giving her approval. The book is intended to be published by Penguin Books in the UK and Hyperion in the US in October 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Another_Thing..._(novel)

Though it's sad that Adams passed away before he could write one himself, I'm glad his widow approved of the choice of author, & am glad to have another in the series as "Mostly Harmless" was a bit of a downer (although there was a sort of poetic irony about it...)

Can't wait! :hyper:

EvilNed
10-Sep-2009, 09:58 AM
I'll read it, but it'll suck most surely. Don't you know how long Douglas Adams tried to end the series? Why revive it? I liked the last installment. Number four was the worst in the series, for me.

capncnut
10-Sep-2009, 11:05 AM
No Douglas Adams = no purchase for me. Not even gonna bother.

bassman
10-Sep-2009, 11:50 AM
I'll most likely give it a shot because I love the series, but without Adams? I don't know...

Chic Freak
10-Sep-2009, 12:33 PM
I'll reserve judgement till I read it... although it does sound like a bit of a cash-in.

MoonSylver
10-Sep-2009, 05:52 PM
Don't you know how long Douglas Adams tried to end the series? Why revive it? I liked the last installment. Number four was the worst in the series, for me.

True, but Adams said himself later that he'd changed his mind & wanted to do a sixth one.

Prior to his death, Adams had felt the need to continue the story: "I suspect at some point in the future I will write a sixth Hitchhiker book...", and "People have said, quite rightly, that Mostly Harmless is a very bleak book. And it was a bleak book. I would love to finish Hitchhiker on a slightly more upbeat note, so five seems to be a wrong kind of number; six is a better kind of number."

Not saying it won't suck, but I'd like to give it a shot.