PDA

View Full Version : Survival of the Dead picked up for distribution

krakenslayer
11-Sep-2009, 07:45 PM
Off the back of its Venice Film Festival showing, Survival of the Dead has now been sold to distributors in multiple territories:

http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/venice/venice-news/voltage-closes-sales-on-romeros-survival-of-the-dead/5005545.article

Notably, Optimum Releasing, who also handled Diary's UK release, have stepped up to the plate again. Based on the distributor it seems likely that Survival will be getting some kind of cinematic release in the UK, like Diary did.

capncnut
12-Sep-2009, 12:46 AM
Notably, Optimum Releasing, who also handled Diary's UK release, have stepped up to the plate again. Based on the distributor it seems likely that Survival will be getting some kind of cinematic release in the UK, like Diary did.
Top notch, Krackers. Optimum did a grand job with Diary on DVD so I'm hoping this one will be just as good. Here's to a speedy theatrical release!

MinionZombie
12-Sep-2009, 11:21 AM
Top notch, Krackers. Optimum did a grand job with Diary on DVD so I'm hoping this one will be just as good. Here's to a speedy theatrical release!
Damn straight, I wanna see this movie - I want its ass wiggling about in front of my eyes pronto! :D

And aye, the R2 release of Diary was a great DVD. 2-disc, and with special artwork for those that wanted it, in a nice tin case too. :cool:

It's just a shame I wasn't super-bothered by the film...

kidgloves
20-Sep-2009, 08:07 PM
Excellent:hyper:
I think Diary was in 140 odd screens on release day in the UK:D

MinionZombie
21-Sep-2009, 09:45 AM
Excellent:hyper:
I think Diary was in 140 odd screens on release day in the UK:D
I went to see it opening day, the first showing, which was like 2pm on a Friday, so it was practically empty. :p

It was me, a couple, and some dude who left half an hour in ... the bloke from the couple was definitely not impressed, and was clearly a fan of GAR's other work.

Annoyingly the projector fucked up during the screening and the image kinda 'slipped down' the screen so the bottom was cut off ... that went on for a while until aforementioned dude went to get someone to sort it out ... I didn't wanna miss a second of it though - it's a GAR movie in the cinema for crying out loud!

I was bummed out a bit at the end, I was disappointed but I didn't wanna admit that ... ... but the fit girl who came in to clean up at the end who asked me what it was like (clearly someone who knew at least a little bit about GAR) perked me up, hehe.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Sep-2009, 04:09 PM
Any word on a US distributor?

krakenslayer
21-Sep-2009, 04:57 PM

Nod yed. The US always seems to be the last territory to secure distribution for his films these days. Diary was already sold to most European states before it was even made - it was in profit before they finished shooting - but it was ages before the US release. The new one is being repped by the same company that landed the Diary with Weinsteins last time around. Maybe this time they'll find a distributor who's willing to put some theatrical clout behind it. Here's hoping for you. :)

Ivarr
22-Sep-2009, 12:48 PM
I hope a US distributor pics it up soon... But honestly... part of me just wants it to go straight to DVD in the US market so I can just buy it ... since I (and many fans) are just going to do that anyway.

clanglee
23-Sep-2009, 10:40 AM

Says right in the article who has the rights. . just no dates. ... .

while John Sloss’ Cinetic will handle US sales. Cinetic also handled the domestic deal for Diary Of The Dead, which was picked up by The Weinstein Company.

krakenslayer
23-Sep-2009, 11:27 AM
Cinetic isn't the distributor, it's a film sales company. They're basically a company that sells the distribution rights on indie films to studios and distributors.

octo7
04-Oct-2009, 12:38 AM
the 2-disc Optimum ltd edition Diary with the metal case is one of the better DVD releases i have seen in a long time, glad they will be handling Survival.

Zombo
04-Oct-2009, 01:26 AM
Hooray! Can't wait to see it. :D

MinionZombie
04-Oct-2009, 10:38 AM
the 2-disc Optimum ltd edition Diary with the metal case is one of the better DVD releases i have seen in a long time, glad they will be handling Survival.
That's the one I've got, and indeed it was a good DVD release, a much better package than what Land of the Dead got - which was just screaming out for a proper making of, but what we got instead was choppy, A.D.D.-edited snippets of stuff that didn't last any time at all. A real missed opportunity right there.

The man returns to the zed flick after twenty years, and that's all you give us fans?! Sheesh.

The Diary double disc was spiffing, it's just a shame I didn't think a great deal of the movie (didn't hate it, didn't love it - I was "meh" about it, personally).

octo7
04-Oct-2009, 01:47 PM
I was on the fence first time i saw it leaning towards disapointment but i watched it again in a different mindframe one evening on my bigscreen and with surround sound and let myself fall into the atmosphere without any expectations and i really enjoyed it.