PDA

View Full Version : Disney in cartoon deal with guilliermo del toro

Danny
11-Sep-2009, 10:46 PM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118008467.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562

Disney plans to get scary with Guillermo del Toro.
The Mouse House has inked a deal with the helmer to launch new toon label Double Dare You that will produce darker animated films meant to thrill audiences.

Move can be viewed as yet another way for Disney to try to lure males to the company’s projects and pairs up with its recent takeover of Marvel.

Del Toro will produce all of the pics the new label makes and will also step in to direct several of the titles.

"As a director, I love to take audiences into fantastic new worlds and provide them with some anxious moments in the process," del Toro said. "It is part of the Disney canon to create thrilling, unforgettable moments and villains in all their classic films."

While the projects will take Disney's toon division in a new direction, "The emphasis is on fun, and we have some great ideas already on the storyboards," del Toro said.

First pic will be "Trollhunters," based on an original story from the helmer. The pics will all be tied together by "one feature that shall remain secret, but that you shall soon be very familiar with," del Toro said in a video that was played at the Mouse's first D23 fan confab in Anaheim on Friday.

New label will also publish books and produce other merchandise that tie-in with the films.

Walt Disney chairman Dick Cook said del Toro's "appreciation for Disney films" and his ability to create fantasy worlds presented an opportunity for the company to "explore a whole new genre of filmmaking."

How soon that may happen is unclear, however.

Del Toro, whose credits include the "Hellboy" pics and "Pan's Labyrinth," is currently readying to direct back-to-back adaptations of the Tolkien classic, "The Hobbit," for release in 2011 and 2012. His dancecard's also full with four other pics set up at Universal, including remakes of "Frankenstein" "Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and Kurt Vonnegut's sci-fi classic "Slaughterhouse-Five," that will keep him busy.

it aint often that i get excited by any disney news nowadays, but Del Toro's one of my all time favorite filmmakers and the guy has a real eye for set design and minute details so this should be something worth checking out.