PDA

View Full Version : Customer tackles robber...

Neil
20-Sep-2009, 10:55 AM
...now why didn't anyone rush to his aid sooner?

There were half a dozen people around, and the customer is left tackling the robber by himself for 10-20 seconds, with some woman having a silly freak out...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8265174.stm

Tricky
20-Sep-2009, 11:18 AM
Well played to the bloke who tackled him!not sure what the hell that woman was doing though!Fair enough she wouldnt have been able to take on the robber, but what she thought having a spring heeled hissy fit would do I have no idea :lol:
I imagine it was the typical sign of modern times where nobody wants to get involved & help others anymore, a "cowards live longer" mindset

DjfunkmasterG
20-Sep-2009, 01:50 PM
Takes balls to confront any robber/criminal and my hats off to the guy who tackled him.

DubiousComforts
20-Sep-2009, 03:12 PM
...now why didn't anyone rush to his aid sooner?

There were half a dozen people around, and the customer is left tackling the robber by himself for 10-20 seconds, with some woman having a silly freak out...
The male bank teller does go to his aid in a matter of seconds. I'm not sure what he was expected to do being behind a counter and probably having to worry about the safety of the other bank employees.

That shrieking woman could be the man's wife; if so, she is freaking out at seeing her husband (an older guy) wrestling with a hooded thug. None of the news stories mention if the suspect was armed, but imagine seeing a friend or family member thrashing on the floor with a robbery suspect. The first thing I'd anticipate is hearing a gunshot go off any second.

Neil
20-Sep-2009, 05:05 PM
The male bank teller does go to his aid in a matter of seconds. Matter of 15 seconds... What was he doing?

DjfunkmasterG
20-Sep-2009, 05:32 PM
Some people freeze up from shock in a situation like that and then when their adrenaline hits they end up either running or taking action.

SymphonicX
20-Sep-2009, 06:14 PM
Well played to the bloke who tackled him!not sure what the hell that woman was doing though!Fair enough she wouldnt have been able to take on the robber, but what she thought having a spring heeled hissy fit would do I have no idea :lol:
I imagine it was the typical sign of modern times where nobody wants to get involved & help others anymore, a "cowards live longer" mindset

She was looking for a phone to call cops, blatantly...

Some people freeze up from shock in a situation like that and then when their adrenaline hits they end up either running or taking action.

Totally, I was at a festival and saw a jeep lose control and roll over a bunch of tents with people in them....there was 5 seconds where everyone just stopped, shocked and in disbelief...you just don't know how to react for a few seconds because your brain is just wired to deal with whatever danger you may face...some people have better control over the "flight or fight" instinct.

(no one was hurt btw, one person with minor wounds)

DubiousComforts
20-Sep-2009, 08:02 PM
Matter of 15 seconds... What was he doing?
He's stuck behind a counter and has to run in the opposite direction to get into the lobby. You're seeing the same incident consecutively from two different angles. After the guy tackles the robber to the side of the counter, you see the male teller run in the opposite direction. A few seconds later, he appears on the other side of the counter to assist the first guy.

MinionZombie
20-Sep-2009, 08:10 PM
They did take a while to do anything didn't they? I mean, that oldish dude was doing all the hard work.

Had I been there and he'd gone for him, I'd have totally joined in in that situation.

Bloody good on that man for getting in there and taking down that bastard.

SymphonicX
20-Sep-2009, 09:38 PM
tbh though he put himself in mortal danger...for what? a bunch of money insured for this exact reason.

I know its all about making a stand but these people aren't going to be deterred by "have a go heroes." It just makes their retribution all the more savage.

MinionZombie
21-Sep-2009, 09:56 AM
tbh though he put himself in mortal danger...for what? a bunch of money insured for this exact reason.

I know its all about making a stand but these people aren't going to be deterred by "have a go heroes." It just makes their retribution all the more savage.
To me, such an attitude, is a sad indictment of modern society.

Naturally, if you've got more than one robber, and they're tooled up, you keep your ass down ... but the chump in this video? Totally different odds, in my view.

I'm not talking about being stupid, I'm talking about assessing the situation properly and then getting stuck in when the odds are good.

Like that geezer in Glasgow who twatted that burning terrorist - good on him.

strayrider
22-Sep-2009, 06:24 AM
...now why didn't anyone rush to his aid sooner? There were half a dozen people around, and the customer is left tackling the robber by himself for 10-20 seconds

I didn't see anything unusual about the reaction time. Until you're in the same situation, don't judge too harshly. We'd all like to think: "Oh, yeah, I'd have been all over that cat!" But until you actually face the situation, you don't really know.

Was this the same dude that went into Tesco wearing a hood?

:D

-stray-

SymphonicX
22-Sep-2009, 07:24 AM
To me, such an attitude, is a sad indictment of modern society.

Naturally, if you've got more than one robber, and they're tooled up, you keep your ass down ... but the chump in this video? Totally different odds, in my view.

I'm not talking about being stupid, I'm talking about assessing the situation properly and then getting stuck in when the odds are good.

Like that geezer in Glasgow who twatted that burning terrorist - good on him.

Guy in Glasgow is another kettle of fish entirely - those guys were terrorists out to specifically harm other people....The robber here just wanted the cash as do all robbers.

So while you may call it a sad indictment of modern attitudes I still stand by my opinion that this guy, whether "heroic" or not, put himself in mortal danger simply to protect insured money.

Look at any self defence instructions and it usually always starts with "if you're approached by someone with a gun who demands your wallet, the first defensive step you must take is...give them your wallet...everything in there can be replaced."

As I say, I know its about making a stand and whatnot but who's to say the odds were in that guy's favour? Just because he wasn't outnumbered, doesn't mean that robber wasn't likely to seriously harm him if the tables turned...then we may be talking about a "heroic" dead man who's left behind a grieving family.

The "odds" here just don't justify saving a bank/shop some money that will be replaced. Now luckily the guy made the right decision for this situation and it didn't come back on him, so that's great that this happened - but let's just see how much of a deterrant this is to people like the robber? Absolutely none, and he'll be replaced with ten more when he goes to prison.

EvilNed
22-Sep-2009, 03:52 PM
Look at any self defence instructions and it usually always starts with "if you're approached by someone with a gun who demands your wallet, the first defensive step you must take is...give them your wallet...everything in there can be replaced."

I'd have to agree here. However, if another person is hurled into the fray, such as in this case, then there's also a human life at stake. But I'm sorry, my life is more precious to me than my wallet.

SymphonicX
22-Sep-2009, 04:02 PM
well as soon as that customer made the move - then is the call for heroics, to protect that man who, despite what I think, f**king brave to stand up to that low life thief, then was the time for people to help, to jump in and get their hands dirty...

all I'm questioning is whether that guy really took a viable risk or not.

darth los
22-Sep-2009, 04:26 PM
Takes balls to confront any robber/criminal and my hats off to the guy who tackled him.

It's it's not so much having the balls to to do it , It's having the balls to do it knowing that no one is going to back youu up and that's really a shame.

If decent people stood firm things like this would hardly ever happen. If a robber knows he's going to get resistance from 30 people it's a big deterent.

:cool:

MinionZombie
22-Sep-2009, 06:00 PM
I think it's a case of natural instinct no matter what you do.

For instance, I remember years ago we were touring a local town as a family, and we came back to the car park to find some scumbag with his arse dangling out of my Dad's car window - he was robbing the car phone.

Now, I should say this was back in the days when mobile phones were hardly common, and were the size of bricks, so there was nowhere near the paranoia about phone thieving.

Anyway, I spotted it first, and my Dad yelled out "OI!" just as the twat got the phone disconnected from the charger (he must have been really struggling - and considering the easy to disconnect plug, he must have been a real peach of a moron) - anyway, the twat runs for his idling car which is nearby and my Dad automatically chases after him and almost manages to wrestle him out of the car as he begins to drive off.

My Dad did give up, smartly, but that's what I mean about natural instinct - in this case, your property has been assaulted by some bastard and you see red.

I was just a kid at the time, but if I'd been the age I am now - back then - I'd have immediately joined in. In fact, I'd like to think I'd have put two-and-two together and realised the idling car (very chavvy Ford Fiesta, if I remember) was that bastard's car and taken the keys and lobbed them, or pinched his car and driven it to a back street or something temporarily...or something, I don't know - that's a whole bunch of retrospective "if's" and "maybes" and "what abouts" providing that I was over a decade older at the time of the long-passed incident.

Hopefully karma has found that bastard now (who was well known to the police - unsurprisingly they could do fuck all about it) and he's lying in a ditch on fire, or you know ... something. :lol:

strayrider
23-Sep-2009, 07:32 AM
all I'm questioning is whether that guy really took a viable risk or not.

Assume that he took down the robber not to save the bank's money, but to preclude the possibility of the robber harming anyone once he got what wanted.

-stray-

SymphonicX
23-Sep-2009, 08:13 AM
fair point..unlikely, but definitely a fair point...these people are unpredictable...

strayrider
24-Sep-2009, 08:16 AM
fair point..unlikely, but definitely a fair point...these people are unpredictable...

More video with commentary. (The BBC version cuts just before the wife delivers her kick.):lol:

http://http://www.cbs58.com/index.php?aid=9230 (http://www.cbs58.com/index.php?aid=9230)

Sinester Smith?

What kind of parents would name their kid Sinester? And I thought my friend Jill was dumb for naming her son Stephen Tyler G******* (last name obscured to protect the innocent)

-stray-

Mike70
24-Sep-2009, 11:12 AM
sorry but i don't go for machismo. what this guy does is stupid, plain and simple. let the dude go with the money. a bank's money is not worth risking your own neck for.

bassman
24-Sep-2009, 01:00 PM
:lol:

The woman jumping around is what makes the video. Just what the hell was she doing??

Anyway....good job on the old man for standing up for other people in danger.

strayrider
25-Sep-2009, 03:34 AM
sorry but i don't go for machismo. what this guy does is stupid, plain and simple. let the dude go with the money. a bank's money is not worth risking your own neck for.

He wasn't protecting the bank's money. He was concerned for the safety of his wife.

His actions took the decision making process out of Sinester's hands -- Sinester being the perfect example of someone who shouldn't be in a position to make decisions concerning anything of importance.

Sinester is lucky this old boy wasn't a concealed weapons permit holder or Sinester might very well be "sneakers up" at this point.

-stray-

Ps -- and Mike, if had been a loved one of yours, you would've done the same thing. Don't deny it. :p

DubiousComforts
25-Sep-2009, 04:35 AM
He wasn't protecting the bank's money. He was concerned for the safety of his wife.
That much was explained days ago, but apparently some people fail to understand it. Perhaps when five more videos have been posted from various angles, it will finally sink in. And for all anyone knows, the "slow reacting" bank teller probably saw the elder guy sneaking up and decided to keep the perp distracted.

Sinester is lucky this old boy wasn't a concealed weapons permit holder or Sinester might very well be "sneakers up" at this point.
Do you have to go all NRA on us, bringing firearms into the mix? The elder guy is a hero because he used his head and managed to thwart a clueless thug without excessive force. The next time, a perp might think twice because now there will be a question of not knowing what to expect. If it simply boiled down to guns, next time the perp will bring an automatic weapon.

Don't mess with Milwaukee! ;)

strayrider
25-Sep-2009, 04:49 AM
Do you have to go all NRA on us, bringing firearms into the mix?

I don't recall mentioning the NRA. Did I miss something?

My point was clear enough.

Sine was lucky that there was NOT a firearm involved. You're the one who brought up "automatic weapons", silly.

We do agree on this though ... that cat was a Grade A American hero!

-stray-

DubiousComforts
25-Sep-2009, 05:23 AM
I don't recall mentioning the NRA. Did I miss something?
You miss my point. I said "do you have to go all NRA?" I didn't say that you mentioned the NRA, only that you brought a typical NRA viewpoint to the thread which is something like "every potentially violent situation can be more easily resolved with firearms."

My point was clear enough.
I think my point was better: a hero used his head during a crisis and kicked some punk's ass. It was a measured response and then he allowed the police to do their job. All's well that ends well and let's leave the guns out of it.

strayrider
25-Sep-2009, 06:08 AM
You miss my point. I said "do you have to go all NRA?" I didn't say that you mentioned the NRA, only that you brought a typical NRA viewpoint to the thread which is something like "every potentially violent situation can be more easily resolved with firearms."

Got it. You were using a personal colloquialism and stereotyping at the same time. My bad. :p

I think my point was better.

Your point was different than mine, but no more valid. It depends on point of view.

-stray-