PDA

View Full Version : Romero video game anyone?

Trancelikestate
22-Sep-2009, 04:45 PM
These 2 vids are of the player made romero inspired land of the dead maps. Monroeville mall, the night farm and of course Trins day map. The farm doesnt look like the actual farm but other than that these maps are right on. How awesome do they look all tossed together though? I still plan on doing gta dawn of the dead, but this is def a little teaser.

-hZvaGUo0Io
KkO4esJd9j4

capncnut
22-Sep-2009, 04:57 PM
The mall map looks schweet! :hyper:

krakenslayer
22-Sep-2009, 05:06 PM
Not a fan of the Dawn one. I think the mall looks far too sparse, the textures and atmosphere are all wrong. Doorways look like they were sliced straight out of the wall with a cookie-cutter. Also, lighting is a big part of the "feel" of a shopping mall, and here it just ain't right. The ceilings are also messed up, which creates makes everything look odd: the inside of JC Penney feels like the inside of an aircraft hangar.

Trin's Day map is by far the best out of all of these, though! Awesome! :)

CoinReturn
22-Sep-2009, 05:18 PM
Pretty impressive, the mall just needs more objects in the stores. I haven't been there since last year, but it'd be cool if somebody did an updated version to go along with the classic.

MikePizzoff
22-Sep-2009, 05:41 PM
:lol: What's with all the wipes that lead to the spot we'd be watching if there weren't a wipe-transition? :lol: No offense, I just found it funny and reminiscent of when Homer was making a video.

Trancelikestate
22-Sep-2009, 05:52 PM
:lol: What's with all the wipes that lead to the spot we'd be watching if there weren't a wipe-transition? :lol: No offense, I just found it funny and reminiscent of when Homer was making a video.

haha, the video transitions? come on i'm using windows movie maker. :p these maps are fun though. i recommend getting em.

bassman
22-Sep-2009, 06:11 PM
awesome. This reminds me how mind blowingly great a dawn game would be. You hear me, Rubenstein?? MONEY!!!! I can't believe he hasn't thought of it yet...

And did I see DJ's name written in blood on a wall in there somewhere?

Danny
22-Sep-2009, 06:16 PM
i genuinely cannot fathom why anyone would want a game based on a romero movie, slow enemies you can walk around, very little actually happening till people start dieing and you die or leave, it makes for a riveting movie but only fan-vision could keep someone sitting through a game of "oh no, lets move slightly to the left, or up these stairs!"

MinionZombie
22-Sep-2009, 06:18 PM
I've played all those maps a while back, Trin's Day map was the winner for me - I even made a sort of promo video for it back in the day.

Not sure if it's still online...suppose I should upload it to my YouTube account.

i genuinely cannot fathom why anyone would want a game based on a romero movie, slow enemies you can walk around, very little actually happening till people start dieing and you die or leave, it makes for a riveting movie but only fan-vision could keep someone sitting through a game of "oh no, lets move slightly to the left, or up these stairs!"
Ideas for a Dawn-based FPS-cum-sandbox-cum-RPG - think primarily of a Call of Duty 4 type deal:

* The projects - attack and clear-out a zombie infested tenement.
* Helicopter - get to the air strip before you run out of fuel, defend your position from zombies.
* Perhaps take the role of someone in the military, or preferably a redneck, on a zombie hunt - having to clear areas out, use your marksmanship to save your buddies far away who are unaware of an on-coming zombie etc.
* Arriving at the mall - clear the damn thing out area-by-area, blocking off other areas from zombies.
* Securing the mall - you choose how to defend it from the inside.
* Securing the mall - you have to defend it from the outside, the whole truck business, hopping in and out of vehicles, hot-wiring shit, keeping your guard up etc.
* The biker attack - a massive battle with the bikers, and then the zombies also, get the hell out of the mall alive.

THEN - you could partly do a Dawn sequel in the videogame - you chopper it out of there, but with so little fuel you soon find yourself having to ditch it and fight your way through open country, and find new transport.

You could come face-to-face with another gang for example, and eventually end up at a military outpost - possibly having to defend it soon after your arrival - then at the end of the game, you'd move out with the military guys in search of more permanent accomodation.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head straight away - and all with shamblers - it worked in Dead Rising, so it can work elsewhere, you just have to engineer the situation to your benefit.

bassman
22-Sep-2009, 06:34 PM

L4D must have clouded your memory. Dead Rising?:confused:

That game was kinda fun and made loads of cash. So much so that Rubenstein sued for some of it. :p

capncnut
22-Sep-2009, 07:06 PM
Ideas for a Dawn-based FPS-cum-sandbox-cum-RPG - think primarily of a Call of Duty 4 type deal:

* The projects - attack and clear-out a zombie infested tenement.
* Helicopter - get to the air strip before you run out of fuel, defend your position from zombies.
* Perhaps take the role of someone in the military, or preferably a redneck, on a zombie hunt - having to clear areas out, use your marksmanship to save your buddies far away who are unaware of an on-coming zombie etc.
* Arriving at the mall - clear the damn thing out area-by-area, blocking off other areas from zombies.
* Securing the mall - you choose how to defend it from the inside.
* Securing the mall - you have to defend it from the outside, the whole truck business, hopping in and out of vehicles, hot-wiring shit, keeping your guard up etc.
* The biker attack - a massive battle with the bikers, and then the zombies also, get the hell out of the mall alive.

THEN - you could partly do a Dawn sequel in the videogame - you chopper it out of there, but with so little fuel you soon find yourself having to ditch it and fight your way through open country, and find new transport.
Has to be Half Life 2 gameplay.

I would like to see the game have four endings depending on who survives and have all characters playable at some point. Heck maybe an unlockable Blades mini-scenario after you've clocked it on hard. :D

darth los
22-Sep-2009, 07:20 PM

That game was kinda fun and made loads of cash. So much so that Rubenstein sued for some of it. :p

Have you forgotten that dead rising came out BEFORE L4D?

Let's see when dead rising 2 comes out how it's numbers stack up against l4d.

The multiplayer on l4d alone cleans it's clock.

Not to say dead rising isn't cool and all but it's no l4d.

:cool:

Danny
22-Sep-2009, 07:22 PM

no, your thinking something SIMILAR to a romero film, i dont remember swat teams and queen bee zombies and hummers and a chainsaw wielding clown in dawn. im talking an adaption of a george romero movie, which makes for great storytelling on screen, but when your in control it would be A: boring, or B: have to add changes and deviate from it to make it fun, and therefore not a straight adaption.

MinionZombie
22-Sep-2009, 07:27 PM
Has to be Half Life 2 gameplay.

I would like to see the game have four endings depending on who survives and have all characters playable at some point. Heck maybe an unlockable Blades mini-scenario after you've clocked it on hard. :D
They should hire us to write the game, I think ... and direct it. :cool:

bassman
22-Sep-2009, 07:28 PM
no, your thinking something SIMILAR to a romero film, i dont remember swat teams and queen bee zombies and hummers and a chainsaw wielding clown in dawn. im talking an adaption of a george romero movie, which makes for great storytelling on screen, but when your in control it would be A: boring, or B: have to add changes and deviate from it to make it fun, and therefore not a straight adaption.

Of course not a straight adaptation. Just a story BASED on the film. Not a scene-for-scene video game.:rockbrow:

And you don't remember swat teams in Dawn?!? Yikes.....

krakenslayer
22-Sep-2009, 07:30 PM

I remember SWAT teams in Dawn... :rockbrow: :D

darth los
22-Sep-2009, 07:32 PM

I knew someone was going to call him on that. :lol:

I didn't have the heart to. I'm sure it was a mistake.

:cool:

Danny
22-Sep-2009, 08:15 PM

sent in to kill any and all survivors though?

...oh my god, IT WAS A TRAP?!?!

Trancelikestate
23-Sep-2009, 12:33 AM
yeah, an actual game would def rule. but running around in these maps is very fun. ;) and yeah that does look like dj's name written on the wall!

Trancelikestate
02-Oct-2009, 11:07 PM
so, i was running around in Trins day map last night, and all the sudden i found bub! then he got up and shot my a$$ dead! dude, i was so suprised and pumped at the same time! heres a vid of this awesome feature.

cPzUQUezdp0
(the vid quality will improve once its not so new)

yeah i kinda harshed him. its tough to shoot bub, but easier when hes busting caps. also of course i had to show the awesome elevator. you guys need to play this. get a copy of lotdrtfg and play! its easy to install unlike my mods. :p this map is so good it makes modding gta on a zombie level feel redundant. Trin, you are the man!! this thing rules!!!

Tricky
03-Oct-2009, 12:49 PM
Hows about the Zombie mod for Armed assault, heres a fan made video of it :D
d0uIhRkym5c