PDA

View Full Version : New York, You’ve Changed: Ghostbusters then and now

darth los
22-Sep-2009, 08:48 PM
http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=1048

:cool:

bassman
22-Sep-2009, 08:50 PM
Heh. I thought about posting this earlier today, but figured I would be hung because of my love of GB.

That being said, it is an interesting article even if it weren't my favorite film. I like reading/seeing these kind of "where are they now" set pieces....

One day I'll go to NYC and see all these spots...

kortick
23-Sep-2009, 07:09 AM
Do they show where this part was filmed?
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/kortick/arbgh.gif

bassman
23-Sep-2009, 11:39 AM

Either 55 Central Park West, or the backlot where they created the first few floors of the buildings and the collapsable street.:D

krakenslayer
23-Sep-2009, 11:48 AM
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/kortick/arbgh.gif

I could watch that all day! :lol:

MikePizzoff
23-Sep-2009, 12:28 PM
Pretty cool article. Keep us updated when part 2 comes out!

Rottedfreak
23-Sep-2009, 01:10 PM
It was all shot in LA.

bassman
23-Sep-2009, 01:12 PM
It was all shot in LA.

Negative. Alot of Ghostbusters was shot in NYC, but then they returned to LA for the soundstages and a few interiors.

AcesandEights
23-Sep-2009, 02:51 PM
Cool article

I missed my chance to see the old fire house this last winter (a bunch of people went to an Indian restaurant close by, iirc).

However, I do walk by the old lions just about everyday...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/3939494993_95ce59769a.jpg

bassman
23-Sep-2009, 03:45 PM
Keep us updated when part 2 comes out!

PART DOS (http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=1056)

darth los
23-Sep-2009, 03:54 PM
Heh. I thought about posting this earlier today, but figured I would be hung because of my love of GB.

That being said, it is an interesting article even if it weren't my favorite film. I like reading/seeing these kind of "where are they now" set pieces....

One day I'll go to NYC and see all these spots...

we were actually talking the other day that we take living in NYC for granted. There are countless things like this people could go see here in the city, we just don't.

Hearing you lament that you can't makes me feel I should appreciate where i live more.

AcesandEights
23-Sep-2009, 03:59 PM
Goddamn, that's a lot of work put into to track some of these more obscure places down.

bassman
23-Sep-2009, 04:05 PM
Hearing you lament that you can't makes me feel I should appreciate where i live more.

Living in NYC.....do you have any idea how many classic films have been shot there?!? I know you do - just saying. There's countless spots...

darth los
23-Sep-2009, 04:12 PM
Living in NYC.....do you have any idea how many classic films have been shot there?!? I know you do - just saying. There's countless spots...

You know what would be fun? As long as it doesn't get rediculous I could could take some pics of some of these locales you speak of and post them on here.

All you would have to do is tell me where they are. Any suggestions?

bassman
23-Sep-2009, 04:16 PM
You know what would be fun? As long as it doesn't get rediculous I could could take some pics of some of these locales you speak of and post them on here.

All you would have to do is tell me where they are. Any suggestions?

Dude....I would pay you whatever you wanted to go to Hook and Ladder 8 for me. They have the GB2 sign inside their firehouse and they give out their company tshirts with the logo to fans that actually come to visit. They used to, anyway.

So send me a shirt!:lol:

Seriously though....don't worry about it. One day I'll make the trip myself and get my pictures. (in full costume, of course):cool:

BillyRay
23-Sep-2009, 04:48 PM
Loved these articles.

The only time I ever made it out to Manhattan (so far) was in 2000; so Times Square had already been claimed by Disney & the Bowery was full of condos.

But I had the advantage of a host who'd lived there his whole life. And like any native New Yorker, was an expert on all things about the NYC.:)

We went on so many walking tours of different neighborhoods, it seems like around every corner is something I've seen in a book, on TV, or in a movie. Brilliant.

We did the CBGB tour of the Lower East Side(with a buddy of his who saw the Ramones play back in the day), the Superhero tour of Midtown(I did not know that Avengers Mansion was based on a real building!), and all the time they too were lamenting the loss of the "grit" that used to define that burg.

Good find, Darth.

darth los
23-Sep-2009, 04:49 PM
Dude....I would pay you whatever you wanted to go to Hook and Ladder 8 for me. They have the GB2 sign inside their firehouse and they give out their company tshirts with the logo to fans that actually come to visit. They used to, anyway.

So send me a shirt!:lol:

Seriously though....don't worry about it. One day I'll make the trip myself and get my pictures. (in full costume, of course):cool:

I would actually love to do it for myself as well. You only live once man.
And thinking about it, it's a travesty that I haven't done it.

Get me the adresss and I'll get it done!! :sneaky:

bassman
23-Sep-2009, 04:59 PM
Get me the adresss and I'll get it done!! :sneaky:

:lol:

It's in Tribeca. It's the Hook & Ladder #8 firehouse. 14 N Moore St, New York, NY.

And if you ever do go and visit, don't expect it to be the same interior as the films. The interiors were shot at a similar firehouse in LA. H&L #8 was just the exterior.

kortick
24-Sep-2009, 06:10 AM
Im actually going to NYC in a few weeks.

I used to go there when Times Square was
a real filth pit. God u don't know what u missed.

I was staying with a friend Omer on West 77th for
a while, and one night he went out and broke into
Yoko Onos apt at the Dakota.
"I'll be right back" he said.
The crazy bastard got on the roof and lowered himself
down to her floor with a rope.
Omer looked like a mix between Mick Jagger and
Charles Manson.

I tell people this and they dont beleive me so
I found the NY Times link.
http://www.nytimes.com/1986/01/20/nyregion/intruder-leaves-photo-in-yoko-ono-s-home.html

Then a few days later we went on the Howard Stern show
back when he was on in the afternoons.
Howard wanted to know all about his break in.
I wish I had a tape of that show.

I saw Omer in San Francisco last time I was in Cali.

Ah New York City.
Truly a happening place.