PDA

View Full Version : He's making a remake of his own remake

major jay
24-Sep-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm not sure what to think of this....I'm glad it's him instead of some hack.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/23/remake-of-the-fly-to-be-directed-by-david-cronenberg/

Predictable news this evening with a double-take twist. David Cronenberg is said to be developing a remake of his 1986 sci-fi horror classic The Fly as a potential vehicle for him to write and direct. Risky Business reports that technological leaps are the main factor in Cronenberg’s decision to remake the material, which is a common excuse—what, no 3D catch?—but in this case, justifiable. Cronenberg’s The Fly was itself a heightened and gory creature feature remake of the campy 1958 film of the same name starring Vincent Price. Last year, he was involved in an opera production of the film for the stage with composer Howard Shore. Common sense says the opera was the decision’s spark.

However, in the past Cronenberg has been rather vocal as a detractor to any proposed remake by 20th Century Fox, where the project remains parked and started buzzing on-and-off a few years ago. There’s yet no word on when the remake would begin filming. Cronenberg remains set to direct The Matarese Circle with Denzel Washington and Tom Cruise, based on his scripted adaptation of the global-conspiracy action novel by Robert Ludlum. In fact, back in April he was quoted as saying the following…

strayrider
24-Sep-2009, 07:35 AM
He must have ran out of ideas.

:D

-stray-

kortick
24-Sep-2009, 07:40 AM
Good Lord.

Cronenberg was our last hope.

A remake of a remake?

With Howard Shore? The musical director
for the orignal Saturday Night Live band
for the first 5 seasons?

This is the man who had the balls
to cast Marilyn Chambers an X rated
adult film star as the lead in one of
his movies.

God I hope this infection doesnt spread to
David Lynch.

We already lost John Waters with Hairspray.

MinionZombie
24-Sep-2009, 09:47 AM
If it simply has to be remade, then I want Cronenberg to do it. But I'd much prefer it was left alone, and DC did another body horror movie entirely.

Oh yeah, I found out there's a remake in the offing for Short Circuit - literally a couple of days ago I joked about "wouldn't it suck if..." - and motherfucker, I spoke entirely too soon. I bet they'll make him like Jay-Z, Kanye West, MTV and other such crap. :eek::(

Tricky
24-Sep-2009, 10:43 AM
Has hollywood really stooped to this level of "writers block" where they cant come up with any new concepts or when they do they are invariably shit!
I heard yesterday Justin Timberlake is starring in "Facebook:the movie" :eek:

MinionZombie
24-Sep-2009, 11:43 AM
lol - and the Facebook movie is being directed by DAVID FINCHER - I was flabbergasted with confusion over that one. :eek:

bassman
24-Sep-2009, 11:58 AM
lol - and the Facebook movie is being directed by DAVID FINCHER - I was flabbergasted with confusion over that one. :eek:

If I remember correctly it's not directly about Facebook, but about "social networking". It's Fincher, so i'm there regardless....

I guess if anyone should remake The Fly(again) it should be Cronenberg. His last few films have been fantastic, imo.

AcesandEights
24-Sep-2009, 03:15 PM
I guess if anyone should remake The Fly(again) it should be Cronenberg. His last few films have been fantastic, imo.

I'll emphatically agree that Cronenberg has turned in some cool ass movies the last few years, with some scenes that leave truly lasting impressions.

bassman
24-Sep-2009, 03:50 PM
I'll emphatically agree that Cronenberg has turned in some cool ass movies the last few years, with some scenes that leave truly lasting impressions.

Yeah. Him and Viggo Mortensen. Fuck his character in LOTR. Watch Eastern Promises and then try to tell me the king is a badass.:D

His character in Eastern Promises (and to some extent A History of Violence) makes the King look like Mary Poppins....

darth los
24-Sep-2009, 04:16 PM
Well, if you think about it, even if a film is not dubbed a remake all the ideas out there keep getting rehashed anyway. I mean how many action or slasher films do you have to see before you get a "if you've seen one then you've them all" mentality and are able to predict atleast half of what's gonna happen, including the ending?

It happened to me again when we went to see G.I. joe last month. I'll be damned if Half way through the movie my friends didn't swear that I had already seen it.

:cool:

bassman
24-Sep-2009, 05:43 PM
Well, if you think about it, even if a film is not dubbed a remake all the ideas out there keep getting rehashed anyway. I mean how many action or slasher films do you have to see before you get a "if you've seen one then you've them all" mentality and are able to predict atleast half of what's gonna happen, including the ending?

It happened to me again when we went to see G.I. joe last month. I'll be damned if Half way through the movie my friends didn't swear that I had already seen it.

This is true. Just about everything is based off of or relating to something in the past. This doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable though.

Kind of like District 9. There are tons of films that you could relate it to or even say it ripped off, but it was still a great film.

And this wouldn't be the first time someone has remade their own work. It's happened alot actually. A recent one that comes to mind is Funny Games. A classic one that comes to mind is Ben Hur. Although he didn't direct the original, William Wyler was the assistant director and then directed the remake....

darth los
24-Sep-2009, 06:25 PM
And this wouldn't be the first time someone has remade their own work. It's happened alot actually. A recent one that comes to mind is Funny Games. A classic one that comes to mind is Ben Hur.

And if the gods smile down upon us the next will be Dawn of the dead. :D

bassman
24-Sep-2009, 06:37 PM
And if the gods smile down upon us the next will be Dawn of the dead. :D

Ouch. I don't even think Romero should try that one. It's been remade once to subpar results and I would hate for it to be remade by ANYONE again. Although I'm sure they will try it in another 10 years.

Speaking of...it's been a few years so isn't it time for Land to be remade?:p

darth los
24-Sep-2009, 07:54 PM
Ouch. I don't even think Romero should try that one. It's been remade once to subpar results and I would hate for it to be remade by ANYONE again. Although I'm sure they will try it in another 10 years.

Speaking of...it's been a few years so isn't it time for Land to be remade?:p

lol

But i was trying to keep wth your theme of people remaking their own stuff, not someone else doing it.

If anyone could pull it off wouldn't it be the master?

Because truth be told it's definitely a classic that needs an update, unlike other remakes that although the originals hold up pretty well and are in no need of one are remade regardless.

ProfessorChaos
24-Sep-2009, 10:16 PM
i love the title of this thread...but i'm not terribly excited about a cgi-filled remake.

MoonSylver
25-Sep-2009, 01:21 AM
My head is spinning...:(

That reminds me, following the success of Transformers & GI Joe, they are now doing a series of movies based on boardgames. Coming soon we have Monopoly, Battleship, & Candy Land the movies...:rolleyes::annoyed:

ProfessorChaos
25-Sep-2009, 01:59 AM
facebook movies? board game movies? what the hell is wrong with hollywood?!?! yojimbo, do me a favor and go down the road and bitch-smack some sense into those uninspired unoriginal fucks...

EDIT: is it april fool's already? this seriously can't be what the film industry is coming to these days....

blind2d
25-Sep-2009, 03:02 AM
See, now... Candy Land actually would make a good kid's movie... you know, cartoon like Care Bears movie, or whatever. But Monopoly? How the hell do you get a plotline from that? Didn't Michael Moore already do it, anyway? Colbert's reading of the Battleship script with Goldblum was amazing. It might be up on his website...

DubiousComforts
25-Sep-2009, 05:11 AM
David Cronenberg is said to be developing a remake of his 1986 sci-fi horror classic The Fly

I heard yesterday Justin Timberlake is starring in "Facebook:the movie" :eek:

and the Facebook movie is being directed by DAVID FINCHER

Was the purpose of this thread to make me scream?

Oooooh, I'm Dying! (http://www.supload.com/listen?s=aHUNCx)

And if the gods smile down upon us the next will be Dawn of the dead.
Oh it's happening, but it will be a remake of a remake and instead of Dawn of the Dead, it's called "Plan 9."

eJh-gdpJxJo

bassman
25-Sep-2009, 02:42 PM
Since we're talking about remakes.....I've just read that there is currently a remake of A Star Is Born in the works. This would make it the THIRD remake. Meaning this will be the fourth version of the same film.:annoyed:

Good god....

darth los
25-Sep-2009, 03:14 PM
Since we're talking about remakes.....I've just read that there is currently a remake of A Star Is Born in the works. This would make it the THIRD remake. Meaning this will be the fourth version of the same film.:annoyed:

Good god....

And for some dumb ass reason there are millions of people out there that will pay to see it.

major jay
25-Sep-2009, 04:31 PM
You have to think he knows, sooner or later, this is going to be remade so why not do it himself in a completely different style. He's too smart to think he could top his first one.
Who knows, maybe it will be a satire on the remakemania fad that has plagued Hollywood's output this decade.

Danny
25-Sep-2009, 05:27 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/xzibit.jpg

YO DAWG I HERD YOU LEIKS REMAKES, SO I PUT A REMAKE ON YOUR REMAKE SO YOU CAN WATCH WHILE YOU WATCH

-a challenger appears!!!!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/2zf3gbqjpg.png

-YO IMMA LET YOU FINISH BUT THE ORIGINAL FLY WAS THE BEST YO!

BY THERE POWERS COMBINED!!!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/xlagthu9v7_daHAG.jpg

OH GOD!!, WHAT HAVE I DONE!?!?!!!!11!!!ONEONE!!!!

-i have faith in the guy, he mad the best body horror flick ever.

p.s, sorry for that, it will never happen again.

MoonSylver
25-Sep-2009, 11:55 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/2zf3gbqjpg.png

"Yo, Hellsing, Imma let you finish, but this is the best thread reply ever!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Danny
26-Sep-2009, 03:41 PM
the gets have open, the kanye meme is loose on the boards, WHAT HAVE THESE CARELESS HANDS WROUGHT?!?

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2009, 05:51 PM
the gets have open, the kanye meme is loose on the boards, WHAT HAVE THESE CARELESS HANDS WROUGHT?!?
It's a plague of Kanye memes! It's like futhermocking West of the Dead up in this bitch.

major jay
26-Sep-2009, 08:33 PM
This is old news, but I don't think anyone has posted about it.

LONG LIVE THE OLD FLESH!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118002863.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562

Universal Pictures will remake the 1983 David Cronenberg-directed thriller Videodrome," with Ehren Kruger set to write the script and produce with partner Daniel Bobker.
The producers tracked down the rights to Canadian distribution vet Rene Malo, who will be exec producer. Universal distributed the original and had first refusal on a remake, and the studio snapped up the opportunity.

The original "Videodrome" starred James Woods as the head of Civic TV Channel 83, who makes his station relevant by programming "Videodrome," a series that depicts torture and murder that transfixes viewers.

The new picture will modernize the concept, infuse it with the possibilities of nano-technology and blow it up into a large-scale sci-fi action thriller.

Cronenberg has no role in the film as yet. He is prepping for MGM "The Matarese Circle" as a starring vehicle for Tom Cruise and Denzel Washington. Since Cruise appears likely to next star in the DreamWorks drama "Motorcade" and Washington has committed to the Fox drama "Unstoppable," "Circle" doesn't appear likely to get under way until later this year or 2010.

Bobker/Kruger Films recently set the thriller "Dream House" at Morgan Creek and is producing, with Matthew Stillman, "The Keep" for Rogue. Kruger co-wrote the June 24 Paramount/DreamWorks release "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" with Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman.

MinionZombie
27-Sep-2009, 10:18 AM
So basically it'll be "Intarwebz-drome" with a bunch of shit blowing up?

Seriously - the only reason to re-do or remake something is because you buggered it up originally. In actuality, the vast majority of these remakes are of films that got it spot-on in the first place - so motherfuckin' LEAVE THEM BE!

Remake something shit, like Drive-In Massacre!

These remakes also take films that are so entrenched in the time and context in which they were made - they take the idea, remove it entirely from the context, and then it becomes meaningless.

Somebody slotting a DVD into Ashton Kutcher's belly slit, or plugging their USB stick into Zac Efron's bumhole is just gonna be lame as all hell.

Danny
27-Sep-2009, 10:27 AM
oh god, it occurs to em were at most 2 years away from a blue velvet remake starring rupert grint!:eek:

krakenslayer
27-Sep-2009, 11:46 AM
The new picture will modernize the concept, infuse it with the possibilities of nano-technology and blow it up into a large-scale sci-fi action thriller.
[/I][/COLOR]

Nano-technology? Really?

If they intend on using nano-technology to give the Videodrome remake a neat and tidy "explaination", then they have already failed. In the original it was left entirely up to the viewer to decide whether the changes undergone by James Woods existed only in his tortured imagination, or whether they were hallucinations caused by a tumour in his brain (and whether or not that tumour was created by the Videodrome signal), or whether he really was mutating. That was the whole point of the film - that dreamlike logic, the struggle to differentiate reality from unreality; the character was confued and so were we, as viewers. Break that, and the whole concept falls flat.

major jay
27-Sep-2009, 11:58 AM
Somebody slotting a DVD into Ashton Kutcher's belly slit, or plugging their USB stick into Zac Efron's bumhole is just gonna be lame as all hell.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm guessing they'll throw out the body horror and the great sleaziness of the characters to make it more appealling to the masses.

MinionZombie
27-Sep-2009, 01:33 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

I'm guessing they'll throw out the body horror and the great sleaziness of the characters to make it more appealling to the masses.
A PG-13 videodrome remake? I wouldn't be at all surprised.

All the sex and sleaze will be burned out of that remake like a cigarette on Debbie Harry's arm ... except you won't be able to see that either.

Nor will we get to see that super awesome (and gross) bit where the dude gets shot in the head and his jiggly, jelly-like head quivers as blood oozes out and he gurgle-screams into the microphone.

Or the guy getting his hand chewed off by James Woods' vagina stomach and replaced with a grenade ... or ... I could go on.

Mike70
27-Sep-2009, 01:38 PM
oh god, it occurs to em were at most 2 years away from a blue velvet remake starring rupert grint!:eek:

dear lord, if something like that ever came to pass, you'd be seeing kortick's name in the paper under the headline:

"man with .50 cal takes out entire "blue velvet" remake cast and crew."