PDA

View Full Version : Had a bad day?

zombie04
26-Sep-2009, 02:48 AM
If I could only accurately translate my anger into words and get the point across I would, but words just can't seem to highlight just how pissed off I've been for the last 24 hours.

My roommate and I came home after a day of classes and found our apartment completely trashed. The deadbolt was busted and the list of our missing items included:

3 laptop computers (w/ all our files from undergrad + the 3rd was an old one tucked away in a closet)
2 printers
2 digital cameras (mine was fairly well hidden in my room not well enough though)
about $80 in collective change
and between 290 and 330 of my dvds (total collection is 640)

and on top of that both are rooms were turned inside out (which explains how they found his old computer and my camera)

Sometimes I just get the urge to beat the shit out of some people.

acealive1
26-Sep-2009, 05:55 PM
my god,im sorry man, i know exactly how u feel. my moms house was broke into a few years ago and my room was hit the hardest. looked like a tornado went through it. if u have any kind of insurance, all ur media (dvds, computers, games, systems) WILL be replaced. state farm made sure of that for me. i wish u all the best luck,man.

slickwilly13
26-Sep-2009, 06:27 PM
Start checking pawnshops and file a police report if you haven't done so.

kortick
26-Sep-2009, 06:58 PM
sounds like someone you know did it.

they knew your schedule
they knew what u had and where to look for it.

damn it mark, where is mexican man when u need him?

what a disturbing universe.

I been robbed before so I know it sucks
even had a car stolen and used in a bank robbery
try getting that back from the cops.

all i am trying to say is try to move foward
and dont let this make u too bitter.

capncnut
26-Sep-2009, 07:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your stuff, Mark. :(

sounds like someone you know did it.

they knew your schedule
they knew what u had and where to look for it.
I agree with you, Paul. Someone had to know the layout and where the items were kept. And why not take all the DVD's? Sounds like the bastards had the time to pick and choose what they wanted.

acealive1
26-Sep-2009, 08:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your stuff, Mark. :(

I agree with you, Paul. Someone had to know the layout and where the items were kept. And why not take all the DVD's? Sounds like the bastards had the time to pick and choose what they wanted.

very right,man. when i got robbed, they didnt take any of my dvds but took all my moms. girly movies and sit down comedies....the guy must have been a fairy

zombie04
26-Sep-2009, 09:14 PM
Well we filed the report immediately with the police and now we're dealing with the insurance. While we're likely to get something back for some of the stuff, it's just a crappy thing to walk into your place and immediately think "well that was $6000+ well spent!"

Thankfully they left most of the limited editions (T2 Ultimate Edition, Blade Runner Briefcase set) plus all of our books (I have a decent amount of good history books signed by the authors). Although they did take ALL my Romero and Tarantino dvds:mad::annoyed:

DubiousComforts
27-Sep-2009, 02:27 AM
Dude, that totally sucks eggs. Definitely an "inside" job by someone that knows you or has been to your place. No thief comes prepared to haul that much stuff without knowing exactly what they're coming for. Those that prey in college towns and break into places blind are typically desperate; they don't hang around long enough to cherry-pick which DVDs they want from a collection.

Best of luck in recovering your possessions, but I'm afraid there is little hope of getting the DVDs back. PM your mailing address and I'll send you some of the extra Romero discs from my collection.

And try to hold some faith in the goodness of humanity. :)

Danny
27-Sep-2009, 02:54 AM
damn dude that sucks, but reeks of "guy who knew you well enough" type robbery, sounds like one or two dudes that either knew you, or if your renting, had access and knew what you owned.

My advice is get all your decent shit out, brag to anyone suspicious you know how the insurance was a sweet deal and you brought back even better versions of the stolen stuff and set up a hidden webcam to try and catch them. if there thick enough to rob people they know there greedy enough to do it again.

Neil
27-Sep-2009, 10:44 AM
If I could only accurately translate my anger into words and get the point across I would, but words just can't seem to highlight just how pissed off I've been for the last 24 hours.

My roommate and I came home after a day of classes and found our apartment completely trashed. The deadbolt was busted and the list of our missing items included:

3 laptop computers (w/ all our files from undergrad + the 3rd was an old one tucked away in a closet)
2 printers
2 digital cameras (mine was fairly well hidden in my room not well enough though)
about $80 in collective change
and between 290 and 330 of my dvds (total collection is 640)

and on top of that both are rooms were turned inside out (which explains how they found his old computer and my camera)

Sometimes I just get the urge to beat the shit out of some people.

And I bet it's not really the material value but all the hassle, agro and lost data/pictures etc etc etc... :(

That sounds like a lot of stuff... They must have had transport and been in and out over and over?

zombie04
27-Sep-2009, 05:04 PM
And I bet it's not really the material value but all the hassle, agro and lost data/pictures etc etc etc... :(

That sounds like a lot of stuff... They must have had transport and been in and out over and over?

Thankfully I had most of my documents backed up on my desktop back at my parents place and other documents are on various cds and flash drives and my music and ipod were in my car. So most of everything I had as far as documents go are recoverable. I can't say the same for my roommate however.

Either they did several trips in and out (they had a few hours to do so) though I don't know how many of them there were.

Neil
27-Sep-2009, 05:39 PM
Thankfully I had most of my documents backed up on my desktop back at my parents place and other documents are on various cds and flash drives and my music and ipod were in my car. So most of everything I had as far as documents go are recoverable. I can't say the same for my roommate however.

Either they did several trips in and out (they had a few hours to do so) though I don't know how many of them there were.

No neighbours/CCTVs?

zombie04
27-Sep-2009, 05:49 PM
Unfortunately the only neighbors who saw anything were five year old kids who couldn't give good descriptions. It's not their faults, but knowing how many people there were would be nice to know.

Yojimbo
27-Sep-2009, 10:32 PM
Sorry brother, tha really does suck. Wish I could track them down for you and teach them a lesson in civility!

Agree, though, that it sounds like an inside job. Be careful from here on, brother, but don't let them get you down.