MikePizzoff
01-Oct-2009, 04:12 AM
THREE YEARS IN A ROW!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/TraderInDeath/FUCKING2009CHAMPS.jpg

ProfessorChaos
01-Oct-2009, 06:37 AM
oh yeah, well:

NL Central Champs!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yKSo5xPjLpM/Sc_mFx9Jx6I/AAAAAAAAIG4/W7HCMKRwyR8/s400/St_Louis_Cardinals_1998-present_logo.gif

speaking of baseball, i went to a cardinals/cubs game a couple of saturdays ago, and will be heading back to busch stadium to watch the cards and brewers on this saturday. gotta love a fall day at the ballpark...

ProfessorChaos
12-Oct-2009, 04:25 AM
holy shit, talk about a bunch of fucking choke-artists...after clinching their division, the cardinals lost 9 of their last 10 games, getting swept in the playoffs. guess i gotta root for the phils now.

MikePizzoff
12-Oct-2009, 06:23 AM
holy shit, talk about a bunch of fucking choke-artists...after clinching their division, the cardinals lost 9 of their last 10 games, getting swept in the playoffs. guess i gotta root for the phils now.

Thanks, man. I'm hoping we take the series tomorrow night.

major jay
12-Oct-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm a Pirates fan....

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/tcrine_photos/pirates-suck.jpg

3pidemiC
13-Oct-2009, 12:41 AM
Can't talk about choking with talking about the Tigers.

*sigh*

MikePizzoff
13-Oct-2009, 12:06 PM
Looks like we're going to the NLCS!

ProfessorChaos
13-Oct-2009, 02:57 PM
it sucks ass my team went out so quickly, but as long as the cubs aren't contenders, i'm pretty happy overall. i seriously hope they go another 100 years without a ws title.:lol:

major jay
13-Oct-2009, 09:38 PM
as long as the cubs aren't contenders, i'm pretty happy overall. i seriously hope they go another 100 years without a ws title.:lol:

So do I. They're fans are so curse obsessed. The night Steve Bartman deflected that foul ball away from Moises Alou you could feel the whole park go into a "we're freakin' doomed" vibe. IT WAS A FOUL BALL!!

Here's another example of they're obession with being cursed.

Most baseball fans are aware of the infamous ball between the legs of Bill Buckner during the 86 World Series. The error caused Boston to lose game 6, forcing a game 7. Eventually the Mets won the series and many fans blamed Buckner, thus extending the Red Sox curse.

What hasn't been noticed until recently was what Bill Buckner was wearing under his first basemen's glove during that play.

A picture taken over 20 years ago showing Buckner walking off the field after committing the error revealed something that has been undiscovered until recently. As Buckner walked off the field, he removed his glove, exposing a worn Chicago Cubs batting glove with the Cubs logo on the back. Buckner had previously played for the Cubs before joining the Red Sox and was apparently wearing the batting glove for luck. Instead it acts as one more piece of evidence as to why the Cubs Curse exists.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/tcrine_photos/buckner.jpg

WTF?

*sigh*

Oh man, that was an epic choke job!

MikePizzoff
13-Oct-2009, 11:12 PM
Let's see how we fend against the Dodgers. Although, here's my theory:

The Dodgers just swept the Cardinals, whom have been playing like complete garbage. Lets hope that they've gotten a little too comfortable with playing an easy team that when they face the Phils they're going to have a rude-awakening.

If any of you saw last nights game, you'll get why I've been calling the Phils "the comeback kids" (although not directly on this forum) throughout this entire season.

blind2d
14-Oct-2009, 01:38 AM
Aaaaaaaagh, I do enjoy me a good game o' the ol' cricket! - Murdoc
Don't know much about the game... of baseball... hitting things with a stick and running around? Doesn't sound like much fun to me... whatever, skate and destroy (said half-sarcastically)!

major jay
14-Oct-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm excited about this series. I get the feeling it may go down to the wire. I'd like to see the Phillies win, get to the World Series, and then beat the shit out of that superstar laden, 260 million dollar payroll, failure of a franchise known as the Yankees.

MikePizzoff
15-Oct-2009, 07:42 PM
Cole "The King" Hamels is taking to the mound tonight. Lets hope he's been keeping himself warm in his time off.
GO PHILS!

http://midwestswing.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/cole_hamels.jpg

Mike70
15-Oct-2009, 07:56 PM
wait a second...a record of 10-11 with a 4.32 ERA and 206 hits given up in 193 innings makes you a king now???

darth los
15-Oct-2009, 08:32 PM

*sigh*

What!?! Just ask mike about the losers his team beats out every year for the NL east title. Now those are choke artists dude.

:cool:

MikePizzoff
16-Oct-2009, 12:09 PM
Hell of a phuckin' game last night!!! Had me sweatin bullets for a good portion of it, but in the end we won!

wait a second...a record of 10-11 with a 4.32 ERA and 206 hits given up in 193 innings makes you a king now???

:lol: Mike, he's had a pretty lackluster season. But, trust me, prior to this season he seemed to be on the path to be the next Steve Carlton; not only was he pitching well but he also had an AVG as good as the best players on the team. I feel like he'll wake up and get back to his badass-self next season.

What!?! Just ask mike about the losers his team beats out every year for the NL east title. Now those are choke artists dude.

I presume you're talking about your Mets. They always seem to forget that baseball continues through September. However, it just seemed like they were pretty much absent for the majority of this season. I kinda missed that rivalry we've had going for a couple years.

Mike70
16-Oct-2009, 01:24 PM
:lol: Mike, he's had a pretty lackluster season. But, trust me, prior to this season he seemed to be on the path to be the next Steve Carlton; not only was he pitching well but he also had an AVG as good as the best players on the team. I feel like he'll wake up and get back to his badass-self next season.

hamels is still 14 games over .500 for his career with a decent ERA. he's a good pitcher who might turn into one of the greats but it's hard to tell.

darth los
16-Oct-2009, 03:46 PM
I presume you're talking about your Mets. They always seem to forget that baseball continues through September. However, it just seemed like they were pretty much absent for the majority of this season. I kinda missed that rivalry we've had going for a couple years.

They are based in Queens but they are far from my mets. I'm a yankee fan till I die.

But anyway, yeah, your boys looked reall good last night. What impressed me about Hamels is that it all really could have came apart for him last night after the error by Utley and the 2 run manny homer. He showed great composure in the face of adversity and that's what you look for. Very few can keep their poise like that. Special players do that No matter what their in season records may be.

Pettite is like that for me. I know he can thrive in the pressure cooker. The man has played in 7 world series for christ's sake! One thing's for sure. Game 7, i'll take pettite over Sabathia and Burnett any day of the week.

See you in the Series mike.

Oh yeah, and i take side bets too. :p :D

Mike70
16-Oct-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm a yankee fan till I die.

ugh. i'm sorry.:lol:

MikePizzoff
16-Oct-2009, 04:35 PM
See you in the Series mike.

I've been hearing the Yankees/Phils World Series prediction since the beginning of September. I haven't said anything on it, though, because I'm very superstitious about my baseball. Hell, even my friend who's a die-hard Red Sox fan was predicting that match-up... even when the Sox had just clinched!

This sure as hell is an exciting post-season, I'll tell you that.

Mike70
16-Oct-2009, 11:14 PM
sorry, pizz. 2-1 dodgers. series tied. great game man, do i ever love pitching duels.

MikePizzoff
17-Oct-2009, 06:17 PM
sorry, pizz. 2-1 dodgers. series tied. great game man, do i ever love pitching duels.

Twas a great game until (for some unknown reason) Charlie took out Pedro and went to the bullpen. :mad:

MikePizzoff
20-Oct-2009, 12:44 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Last nights game was ended in a true "Hollywood ending" fashion!

We were down 4-3 in the bottom of the ninth. 2 men on; 1st and 2nd. TWO OUTS. Our top of the order comes up. The count is 1-1. BAM! Hits the ball into right-center. Both men on base score! Walk-off! Crowd/team go apeshit.

I love this team.

major jay
20-Oct-2009, 01:04 PM
I caught the last three innings. What a finish!
They are the comeback kids.

ProfessorChaos
20-Oct-2009, 03:05 PM
*still in shock about his team choking so badly*

darth los
20-Oct-2009, 03:48 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Last nights game was ended in a true "Hollywood ending" fashion!

We were down 4-3 in the bottom of the ninth. 2 men on; 1st and 2nd. TWO OUTS. Our top of the order comes up. The count is 1-1. BAM! Hits the ball into right-center. Both men on base score! Walk-off! Crowd/team go apeshit.

I love this team.

Congrats . When is the next game?

MikePizzoff
20-Oct-2009, 06:44 PM
Congrats . When is the next game?

Thank you, sir. Tomorrow at 8:07 PM. Hoping we win it at home!

darth los
20-Oct-2009, 07:17 PM
Thank you, sir. Tomorrow at 8:07 PM. Hoping we win it at home!

Well, they are the champs until someone knocks them off so i will afford them the appropriate respect until they are not. With that said: The Yankees are coming!! :lol::p

And yes mike I'm well aware that the phillies are the best team but i gotta root for mine and hey that's why we play the games so you never know. The phillies have already proven themselves now the yanks must do the same.

MikePizzoff
22-Oct-2009, 05:41 AM
YES!!! 2 YEARS IN A ROW! HELLO, WORLD SERIES!!!!

So fucking happy right now.

ProfessorChaos
22-Oct-2009, 07:59 AM
hey man, i'm happy for ya....as long as those fucking yankee's dont' win, i'm thrilled.:D

Mike70
22-Oct-2009, 12:49 PM
hey man, i'm happy for ya....as long as those fucking yankee's dont' win, i'm thrilled.:D

no doubt about that. the spankees cannot win. period.

darth los
05-Nov-2009, 07:40 PM
no doubt about that. the spankees cannot win. period.

This thread has been neglected for a while so allow me to Freshen it up a bit. :D

Nice prediction by the way mike. Do you go to the same psychic Jimmy Rollins goes to? :p

No I'm not here to gloat although the Yankee haters would love that so they can have an additional fake reason to hate us and our team. It's not the yankee way. We are classier than that. We are used to winning championships so that's not necessary.

Allow me to congradulate the Phillies on a hard fought series but when you get to this point in the season you have two great teams and one of them has to lose. But what are you going to do when your 2 former mvp's (Howard , Rollins) are virtual non factors? We've lost our fair share of series so I know how it feels. It sucks. You put so much of an emotional investment into a team only to have them fall short at the brink of a title. Also, it seems as if the closer you get to a hampionship and lose the worse it hurts. I'd almost rather have my team not make the playoffs than lose in the world series. The worst thing of all is that you're always going to remember this pain. The same way I remember the Loss in 01'. That one hurts me head and shoulders above all others. And no, winning subsequent titles doesn't alleviate it either.

I feel the Phillies best chance was to to win 2 out of 3 or maybe sweep the games in Philly. With National League rules their potent line-up was somewhat neutered. It felt like the line up was only 6 deep. The Phillies are used to playing under those circumstances. You bring them back to N.Y. and DH's like Matsui do what they do.

Charlie Manuel isn't exactly Faultless in this either. He made a couple of decisions that had me scratching my head. MAtsui owned him up until his second at bat. He homered in games two and drove in two more in his first at bat and he let him face godzilla again!?! And this is with Haap ready to come in the game. Someone explain that to me. And while we're on it you're telling me that he couldn't get Haap (12-4 ,2.39 ERA ) More than 2 2/3 innings of work in the WORLD SERIES !?! Awful. People criticized Girardi for going with a 3 man rotation but 70-80% of Cliff lee is better than 100% of Pedro any day of the week.

So not to bash each other or anything, but i would like to discuss and analyze the series with who ever would like to.

Mike70
05-Nov-2009, 07:53 PM
Nice prediction by the way mike. Do you go to the same psychic Jimmy Rollins goes to? :p

nope. i get my info from miss cleo.

i think that the story of the series is the left handed pitchers on the yankees ate the left handed batters in the phillies line up alive. howard and ibanez were something like 6 for 31 combined in the series against left handed pitchers. that isn't going to get it done and when two of your big bats go cold, there's going to be trouble.

i think that also highlights a serious weakness in lefty power hitters. sure they terrorize right handed pitching but a good lefty pitcher will shut them down cold.

darth los
05-Nov-2009, 08:02 PM
nope. i get my info from miss cleo.

i think that the story of the series is the left handed pitchers on the yankees ate the left handed batters in the phillies line up alive. howard and ibanez were something like 6 for 31 combined in the series against left handed pitchers. that isn't going to get it done and when two of your big bats go cold, there's going to be trouble.

i think that also highlights a serious weakness in lefty power hitters. sure they terrorize right handed pitching but a good lefty pitcher will shut them down cold.

It's all about the division you come from as well. Apparently the N.L. East with the exception of Santana doesn't have anyone who fits that bill so the phils don't need to worry that much in the regular season. And as we all know, no matter which sport it is, you are built to beat the teams in your division frist and foremost because you play them so often. So when you have to play another team especially from another league it becomes tough. You can't just shape your roster based off of the anticipation that you MAY face the yankees in the world series.

Also, I'm not sure what Chase tley Is making but it's not enough.

Mike70
05-Nov-2009, 08:05 PM
I You can't just shape your roster based off of the anticipation that you MAY face the yankees in the world series.

certainly not. i was just pointing out that if you load up your team with left handed power hitters there is a potential price to pay against teams with good left handed pitching.

left handed pitchers are deadly. that's why everyone wants them but there's so few of them to go around...

darth los
05-Nov-2009, 08:19 PM
certainly not. i was just pointing out that if you load up your team with left handed power hitters there is a potential price to pay against teams with good left handed pitching.

left handed pitchers are deadly. that's why everyone wants them but there's so few of them to go around...

I think we were making the same point then, only wording it differently. :lol:

But yeah, there's only a handful of left handed hitters per generation where it doesn't matter who they're facing. Barry Bonds and David Ortiz come to mind. And 10-15 years ago it was Tony Gwynn, but rare they are.

Side note: Isn't joe Buck one of the most Pompous Blowhards you've ever seen? I almost want to mute the broadcast but then i would miss the Brilliant tim McCarver's call. Him I can stand. You might not like guys like him and Joe Morgan but they have Been in the majors and were intrugal parts of legendary dynasties. (They Played with Bob Gibson and Pete Rose for Christ's sake!!) And what makes it even better is that they have both beaten the Yankees in the world series before, huh mike? lol

Mike70
05-Nov-2009, 08:32 PM
Side note: Isn't joe Buck one of the most Pompous Blowhards you've ever seen? I almost want to mute the broadcast but then i would miss the Brilliant tim McCarver's call. Him I can stand. You might not like guys like him and Joe Morgan but they have Been in the majors and were intrugal parts of legendary dynasties. (They Played with Bob Gibson and Pete Rose for Christ's sake!!) And what makes it even better is that they have both beaten the Yankees in the world series before, huh mike? lol

jack buck was a legend. his son...not so much.:lol:

tim mccarver called one of the greatest seasons in pitching history when he caught for gibson in 68. what he doesn't know about baseball wouldn't fit in a flea's codpiece. a great catcher can make even a mediocre pitcher look good.

MikePizzoff
05-Nov-2009, 08:58 PM
Congrats, Darth. Your team deserved it. However, I don't think Jeter deserves to be called Mr November; I truly feel Utley earned that title.

It didn't hurt too bad when we lost last night, because I prepared myself. I felt like we weren't going to win the series after we lost our first home game. I decided, instead of dwelling on the fact that we lost the World Series, to look back at what an awesome season/post-season this year was. Not just for the Phillies, either. It was a hell of a year for baseball, altogether.

Now comes the worst part: waiting another 6 months for opening day!!! :mad:

Mike70
05-Nov-2009, 10:20 PM
Now comes the worst part: waiting another 6 months for opening day!!! :mad:

another wait to see if the reds will finally get a bat to go with the pitching they have. that and to see if arroyo is actually going to pitch the first half of the season before turning into tom seaver after the all-star game.

deadpunk
05-Nov-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm a Pirates fan....

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/tcrine_photos/pirates-suck.jpg

Hahahaha...Pittsburgh heard! :lol::lol::lol: