PDA

View Full Version : University prepares for Flesh eating zombies

C5NOTLD
02-Oct-2009, 07:22 PM
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere on here -

University of Florida prepares for Flesh Eating zombie attack

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hONt0eybRkSjBswGTey2Tp8SX6EwD9B2K2M80

:eek:

Mike70
02-Oct-2009, 07:25 PM
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere on here -

University of Florida prepares for Flesh Eating zombie attack

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hONt0eybRkSjBswGTey2Tp8SX6EwD9B2K2M80

:eek:

:lol: that's awesome. note to everyone: they are no longer zombies or ghouls but are now "life impaired individuals." :lol::lol: only in the 21st century...

clanglee
02-Oct-2009, 07:47 PM
That's good stuff!! :lol:

C5NOTLD
02-Oct-2009, 10:44 PM
First it was that new government robot that could go into the battlefield and refuel by eating dead bodies...

Then the University of Florida has this on their website on how to deal with flesh eating zombies...

Hmmmmm.. That's all I'm saying,.... Hmmmm...

:elol:

Mike70
03-Oct-2009, 12:22 AM
First it was that new government robot that could go into the battlefield and refuel by eating dead bodies...

Then the University of Florida has this on their website on how to deal with flesh eating zombies...

Hmmmmm.. That's all I'm saying,.... Hmmmm...

:elol:

i find the way that zombies have penetrated western culture to be nothing short of awesome. face it, would a univ be making plans to combat an outbreak of lycanthrope? or vampirism? hell no. zombies, excuse me, life impaired individuals, strike a deep, deep chord with people that other monsters cannot really come close to.

besides, using an outbreak of life impaired individuals as a model to study pandemics or emergency responses to them, makes quite a bit of sense.

MoonSylver
03-Oct-2009, 12:38 AM
i find the way that zombies have penetrated western culture to be nothing short of awesome. face it, would a univ be making plans to combat an outbreak of lycanthrope? or vampirism? hell no. zombies, excuse me, life impaired individuals, strike a deep, deep chord with people that other monsters cannot really come close to.

besides, using an outbreak of life impaired individuals as a model to study pandemics or emergency responses to them, makes quite a bit of sense.

It is quite stunning how the zombie has penetrated the popular culture. It used to be it was quite the "underground" thing (no pun intended...). I'm still kinda puzzled when/how it happened. The Vampire thing I could see happening & understand they Why & How back in the 90's (as a youth I was quite enamored of them meself. Looking back now, after having gotten older it seems a bit silly...)

clanglee
03-Oct-2009, 07:54 AM
The Vampire thing I could see happening & understand they Why & How back in the 90's (as a youth I was quite enamored of them meself. Looking back now, after having gotten older it seems a bit silly...)

:lol::lol::lol:

Yet another dead on similarity. . . are you my clone or something. . well. . you are older, I guess I would be your clone.

I was very into vampires in the early 90's. Not to a goth level mind you. Just read a lot about them and watched as many movies as I could get my hands on. Nowadays. . vampires just seem. . .well. . to put it bluntly. . kind of gay. There are still some movies or shows that pull me back in a bit. . True Blood being the big one. .. but on the whole. . .just not my thing anymore.

MoonSylver
03-Oct-2009, 05:39 PM

Yet another dead on similarity. . . are you my clone or something. . well. . you are older, I guess I would be your clone.

I was very into vampires in the early 90's. Not to a goth level mind you. Just read a lot about them and watched as many movies as I could get my hands on. Nowadays. . vampires just seem. . .well. . to put it bluntly. . kind of gay. There are still some movies or shows that pull me back in a bit. . True Blood being the big one. .. but on the whole. . .just not my thing anymore.

I can't describe the modern vampire anymore without using the words "poncy eurotrash":D

Sounds like your level of interest in the subject was on par with mine at the time. I don't know why that depiction of the vampire doesn't resonate with me anymore...maybe it's a younger persons wish fulfillment fantasy? I dunno...There are certain depictions of such that I still enjoy, but for the most part, it just seems campy & silly, which is weird, as at the time it was "hip & cool" & the older depictions seemed dated. Overplayed is my best guess.

Hehehe...clone...:lol:

Mike70
03-Oct-2009, 05:44 PM

I can't describe the modern vampire anymore without using the words "poncy eurotrash":D

ditto. i'm not a fan of the modern vampire at all. fuck off anne rice.

i should have qualified my vampire statement. i meant only the traditional folkloric vampire not the modern ones, they are about as frightening as a care bear.

MoonSylver
03-Oct-2009, 06:06 PM
ditto. i'm not a fan of the modern vampire at all. fuck off anne rice.

i should have qualified my vampire statement. i meant only the traditional folkloric vampire not the modern ones, they are about as frightening as a care bear.

Oh I totally know where you're coming from. I was just thinking out loud in terms of how "the zombie is the new vampire" (which is an observation I've had for awhile) in terms of how they've exploded in the public eye & how deep they've penetrated into the public consciousness.

I deeply believe that the type of monster/horror that is dominant at any given time speaks to us about where the society is at & what is going on in it's psyche at that time.

That's why I'm intrigued that the zombie has become as popular as it has. I'm pondering what the implications of that are...;)