PDA

View Full Version : *new* Modern Warfare 2 "Infamy" trailer!!!

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwDshCdNG5w
WwDshCdNG5w

Futhermocking Washington D.C. bitches! :eek: Holy crap this game looks seriously epic, all over everyone's faces. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Not only that, but diving off cliffs, piloting boats underground, operating a HumVee mounted gun as you drive through dusty streets, airport chaos, high drama, an assult on Washington - HOLY FOOKING SHIT am I amped for this game!

Basically, the shit's hitting the fan and we all get to play. :cool:

BillyRay
05-Oct-2009, 02:03 PM
What's the early word on Multiplayer/PvP boards?

CoinReturn
05-Oct-2009, 02:34 PM
Holy FAP that looks good! Finally, a game that doesn't shy away from DC in ruins, should be epic!

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

What's the early word on Multiplayer/PvP boards?

There's a total of 17 known maps so far, though I've only seen a couple of them in action:

-Favela
-Highrise
-Afghan
-Derail
-Estate
-Quarry
-Wasteland
-Invasion
-Underpass
-Rust
-Terminal
-Scrapyard
-Skidrow
-Sub Base
-Uprise
-Rundown
-Karachi

Along with those, there's a mode called Special Ops, which are 2 player cooperative scenarios similar to the Mile High Club epilogue at the end of CoD4, and there are 20 of them. From Wiki:

Special Ops is divided into separate groups of missions with changeable difficulty levels. The third group, "Charlie", includes the mission "Breach and Clear", where the objective is to just make it to the end of the level. At the beginning of a mission, players select what weapon to use from several scattered around a room before the actual mission commences. Once a choice has been made, a nearby wall is breached and the mission begins. At the end of each mission, a statistics screen displays how long the player took to complete the level and how many kills were scored. Successfully completing a mission earns the player stars, with missions completed on Veteran difficulty rewarding up to three stars. These stars can be used to unlock further missions in the mode.

01. Breach and Clear
02. O Cristo Redentor
03. Sniper Fi
04. Hidden
05. Suspension
06. Body Count
07. Acceptable Losses
08. Bomb Squad
09. Estate Takedown
10. Time Trial
11. The PIt
12. Snatch & Grab
13. Terminal
14. Wreckage
15. Overwatch
16. Big Brother
17. Evasion
18. Race
19. Homeland Security
20. Wardriving

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2009, 05:28 PM
So these 2 player co-op things ... that means two people in the same room, with a controller each, playing on the same Xbox console, can play together?

CoinReturn
05-Oct-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah, Special Ops can be played alone, splitscreen, or online. Some more info:

Special Ops supports cooperative play for up to two players, and can be played alone, in split-screen locally with another player, or online with another player. It includes such scenarios as a snowmobile race, a battle alongside U.S. Navy SEALs, and fending off a wave of 50 enemies at once.

darth los
05-Oct-2009, 06:28 PM
All i know is that I reserved this bitch last month even though I probably didn't need to. Because really, who runs out of stock these days?

But anyway, this and Left 4 Dead 2 are the two big holiday games for me.

:cool:

Neil
05-Oct-2009, 07:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwDshCdNG5w
WwDshCdNG5w

Futhermocking Washington D.C. bitches! :eek: Holy crap this game looks seriously epic, all over everyone's faces. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Not only that, but diving off cliffs, piloting boats underground, operating a HumVee mounted gun as you drive through dusty streets, airport chaos, high drama, an assult on Washington - HOLY FOOKING SHIT am I amped for this game!

Basically, the shit's hitting the fan and we all get to play. :cool:

So wil this be better than frogger then?

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

But anyway, this and Left 4 Dead 2 are the two big holiday games for me.

Borderlands?

AcesandEights
05-Oct-2009, 07:10 PM
Borderlands?

Some of my friends have high hopes for Borderlands, but I'm still skeptical till I see a bit more about game play, both in the form of reviews and vids. Hopefully it'll rock though...hopefully.

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2009, 07:34 PM
Special Ops can be played alone

Fokkin' yes, mate! :D

Even better than I'd thought. So I get single player, and then once I'm done I've got Special Forces to play with? Hell yeah!

It might be a close one. ;):p:lol:

MikePizzoff
06-Oct-2009, 01:38 AM
Fokkin' yes, mate! :D

Even better than I'd thought. So I get single player, and then once I'm done I've got Special Forces to play with? Hell yeah!

Meanwhile, I'll be ONLINE kicking the crap outta of people (or vice versa). :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:: hyper::hyper::hyper:

Craig
06-Oct-2009, 09:08 PM
After a lot of umming and ahhing about what platform to order it on (or even whether I should bother with it all at the moment) I put in a pre-order for the PC version last night - £30, not a bad price considering all my overthinking on the purchase. Then, one of the first things I read online when I went on the PC today was that, for god knows what reason, the PC release might be pushed back to the 24th of November.

I don't know why I bother.

MinionZombie
07-Oct-2009, 10:29 AM
After a lot of umming and ahhing about what platform to order it on (or even whether I should bother with it all at the moment) I put in a pre-order for the PC version last night - £30, not a bad price considering all my overthinking on the purchase. Then, one of the first things I read online when I went on the PC today was that, for god knows what reason, the PC release might be pushed back to the 24th of November.

lol, indeed, why bother eh?

I saw that news yesterday and couldn't understand why it was getting delayed. Makes no sense whatsoever, and it's wrong to keep bitch-slapping the PC market, it really is.

I've got it pre-ordered on 360 though.

According to the IGN Daily Fix for Oct 5th, it's seemingly only the European version on PC that'll get delayed - although it's still slightly possible the NTSC version on PC could be delayed, but not likely.

Seems to be an issue of either:

1) Manufacturing problems.
2) Piracy protection related.

MikePizzoff
08-Oct-2009, 05:15 PM

I'm sure they'll allow you transfer your deposit from a PC copy to and XBOX copy. It really makes no difference.

Tricky
08-Oct-2009, 07:12 PM
and it's wrong to keep bitch-slapping the PC market, it really is.

The worst thing is PC gamers are getting the raw deal of constant crappy console ports instead of "proper" PC games too, Arma 2 is the first game ive played on the PC this year that actually feels like a PC game to play! :( its really stifling creativity & developers dont really take risks with original & intelligent games these days

Craig
08-Oct-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm sure they'll allow you transfer your deposit from a PC copy to and XBOX copy. It really makes no difference.
Well an Xbox copy from the same site would cost £10 more, plus I came to the conclusion that getting it on PC is really the best option. The most important thing being I'd only be able to play it on 360 a fraction of the amount I'd be able to on PC. I'm not really that bothered anymore, I just find buying stuff such a hassle.

MinionZombie
09-Oct-2009, 09:47 AM
The worst thing is PC gamers are getting the raw deal of constant crappy console ports instead of "proper" PC games too, Arma 2 is the first game ive played on the PC this year that actually feels like a PC game to play! :( its really stifling creativity & developers dont really take risks with original & intelligent games these days
Although in COD's case the games haven't changed stylistically all that much from when they started. I've been playing the whole franchise, and IW's entries just keep getting better.

Treyarch's #3 was pish with some good moments, but their World At War was a vast improvement, but still not up there in IW territory.

I know what you mean though. GTA IV has been a notoriously pish console port to PC, heck, even San Andreas wasn't the best port - playing it on a computer far more powerful than it requires, and you still get heinous lag during big rucks or up in the clouds. :confused:

I remember the PC port of True Crime New York City being AWFUL. On my PC - far more power than needed - it ran like absolute ass in exteriors, but interiors worked fine. It still looked rough though, and the menu was direct from the console version, and the controls were almost non-existant. That's the worst PC-port I've seen personally.

Although there's even PC-only titles like Crysis which don't run as well as they should, or require a bunch of patches to get them going properly. Fallout 3 apparently had a bunch till they were fixed, but I've also heard it's the best version of the game (it's the one I have :cool:) ... another is STALKER which, like Crysis, hasn't been made very efficiently. The engine hogs too much power for the job.

In the case of STALKER too, they seem more interested in tiny changes in graphics - such as the recent, very pathetic, show-off of what STALKER looks like in DX11 (totally negligible unless you look at the filters on gas masks basically :rolleyes:) - how about fixing the stability and efficiency issues first?!

Then work on story telling, and cleaning away rough edges, like the terrible lip synch and bloated amounts of text to read through/listen to.

Off on a rant here.

Yeah, with many people playing on PC, it's wrong to diss them. And if you don't make the titles available from the start on PC, then obviously people are going to be buying the console versions.

I've become a console gamer in general, for ease of use, and to play titles that never come to PC, but also because at the time (2007) my rig had gone as far as it could with the PC games coming out.

However, as I needed a new rig at Xmas 2008, I got my ass a beastly Quad Core that's well ahead of any power hungry title out there. :)

CoinReturn
15-Oct-2009, 09:19 PM
New video interview with info on Special Ops, weapons and more:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14281102/call-of-duty-6/videos/mw2_int_joel_101509.html

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2009, 10:19 AM

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14281102/call-of-duty-6/videos/mw2_int_joel_101509.html
It makes me wanna touch myself...:p

I've got it pre-ordered online however, at the original price, not the lame-wad jacked-up price they slapped on it recently, but with the looming postal strike happening in the UK, I hope this slew of game releases in the next 3 weeks doesn't get stuffed up a butt.

MikePizzoff
16-Oct-2009, 12:33 PM

:hyper::hyper::hyper:25 more days:hyper::hyper::hyper:

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2009, 06:01 PM
:hyper::hyper::hyper:25 more days:hyper::hyper::hyper:
I think I had a dream about Modern Warfare 2 the other week ... can't remember what happened ... but I do remember it being distinctly awesome. :D

darth los
20-Oct-2009, 08:26 PM
I think these guys are full of it. Me thinks money is the motivation behind these shorter games especially when they are really popular and highly anticipated.

Why would they make a 20 Hour game and that sells for 60 Bucks when they can make a six hour game and sell you the other 14 hours piecemeal through DLC for 10 bucks a pop?

Exactly my point.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1036666p1.html

MinionZombie
21-Oct-2009, 10:38 AM
That's weird. Very early on it was said that MW2 would be longer and have more levels than MW1. :confused:

MW1, while awesome, was too short.

darth los
21-Oct-2009, 03:52 PM
That's weird. Very early on it was said that MW2 would be longer and have more levels than MW1. :confused:

MW1, while awesome, was too short.

It's gotta be the money. It's the reason why those left 4 dead 2 boycotters were up in arms as well. We're getting charged for things that could easily come with the original game (ala the old RE games and their various bonuses and extra missions). And as was pointed out many times in this forum they're going to do everything they can in order to maximize their profit. If they can charge you and additinal 30 bucks for extra content in addition to the 60 for the game the question becomes why wouldn't they if there are obviously people lining up to get gouged?

Think about RE 4 for example. What would the seperate ways mission have cost us now? An extra 10-15 bucks? probably and we'd pay it for some crazy reason.

Craig
21-Oct-2009, 08:49 PM
IW really kicked up a shitstorm earlier this week when they 'announced' there won't be dedicated servers (and hence no modding support either) for the PC version in favour of matchmaking through their new IWnet service.

Here's the petition for dedicated servers started a few days ago:
http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html

Here's the response from IW's community manager Robert Bowling:
http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745
The comments, as inarticulate as some of them may be, show the majority of people are far from convinced.

Finally here's a PC Gamer article on just what the big deal is about dedicated servers anyway:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225744&site=pcg

Although I'm no hardcore online player I've cancelled my preorder nonetheless, I think I'll just play it safe and see how this pans out. All in all I think IW has lost a lot of PC customers this week.

MinionZombie
22-Oct-2009, 10:32 AM
There definitely seems to be a lot of ballsiness going on around MW2, and that's a bad thing when it's not linked to the content of the game (i.e. by all means by ballsy by providing an awesome story and gameplay experience that is unmatched by your competitors - but sod off with this server issue I'll take other people's word on, and the price gouging that's going on too).

Customers will only be pushed so far, and IW et al should pay attention and consider themselves in potentially dangerous territory.

Never ever piss off your customers.

SymphonicX
22-Oct-2009, 02:44 PM
tbh, I think IW could take a shit in the MW2 box, add a logo to itand people would still buy it....I would if it came with the night vision goggles!

darth los
22-Oct-2009, 03:46 PM
Customers will only be pushed so far, and IW et al should pay attention and consider themselves in potentially dangerous territory.

Never ever piss off your customers.

I agree. It seems as if alot of distasteful things are going on with games, their releases and DLC nowdays.

However, as all corporations do they are pushing the boundries to see what customers will actually pay for a service. No matter how much controversy there is there are alwasy more people that pony up aand pay, so protests are virtually useless.

Boycotts on the otherhand might work because it hits them where it hurts.

The catch is everyone has to be unified or else why bother doing it?

CoinReturn
27-Oct-2009, 03:12 PM
New Spec-Ops mission called "Overwatch", one player is on foot, the other is covering him, high above in an AC-130 gunship. Looks brilliant:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/700231/TheFeed.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=twitterblog&utm_campaign=so-0907-twitterthefeed-700231&cmpid=so-0907-twitterthefeed-700231

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2009, 07:18 PM
New Spec-Ops mission called "Overwatch", one player is on foot, the other is covering him, high above in an AC-130 gunship. Looks brilliant:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/700231/TheFeed.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=twitterblog&utm_campaign=so-0907-twitterthefeed-700231&cmpid=so-0907-twitterthefeed-700231
AWESOME SAUCE!

Hopefully it works well in single player, but I'll definitely have to pair up with a mate at someone's house and give this a bash. :D

darth los
27-Oct-2009, 08:16 PM
I apologize if this has been posted before.

Modern Warfare 2 Opens with Terror:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1039324p1.html

Confirmed: 3rd Person Mode in Modern Warfare 2:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1038859p1.html

MikePizzoff
28-Oct-2009, 10:40 AM
That "Overwatch" footage is fucking AWESOME. I'm having a nerdgasm.

I found out about the 3rd person view stuff and for some reason I didn't even think to post it here.

THIRTEEN MORE DAYS!

Tricky
28-Oct-2009, 06:37 PM
That AC-130 video does look sweet, but im still all for the boycott :p
Which game actually started the trend for having us actually pay for extra content in games anyway? I first noticed it in Battlefield 2 when they started releasing extra factions or maps at a cost, which I never bothered getting because I didnt want to pay out on what was actually very little extra & there were very few servers running with the expansions anyway. I remember other expansion packs for games on the shelf before then for certain games, but usually the content you got was equivalent to a new game rather than just some patches, character skins & a map or two :rolleyes:
When I first got into PC gaming hundreds of mods, complete game overhauls, extra content, patches & everything were just released by both developers & the community for free! I know they're businesses & they want to maximise profits, but in the past the initial investment we made in buying their game was always enough

CoinReturn
28-Oct-2009, 07:58 PM
That AC-130 video does look sweet, but im still all for the boycott :p
Which game actually started the trend for having us actually pay for extra content in games anyway? I first noticed it in Battlefield 2 when they started releasing extra factions or maps at a cost, which I never bothered getting because I didnt want to pay out on what was actually very little extra & there were very few servers running with the expansions anyway. I remember other expansion packs for games on the shelf before then for certain games, but usually the content you got was equivalent to a new game rather than just some patches, character skins & a map or two :rolleyes:
When I first got into PC gaming hundreds of mods, complete game overhauls, extra content, patches & everything were just released by both developers & the community for free! I know they're businesses & they want to maximise profits, but in the past the initial investment we made in buying their game was always enough
PC gaming is dead, give it up and become one of us console gaming peasants.

ProfessorChaos
29-Oct-2009, 06:00 AM
as excited as i am about this game (day 1 purchase), i am a little disgusted about how smug IW is regarding this game and how much hype this game has building around it. and i'm going to second the thoughts about how over-rated MW is and how over-rated this game will be...

kinda like GTA4....my inner GTA-fanboy somehow overlooked the terribly sluggish the controls were and uninspired the gameplay and missions were compared to the awesomesauce of vice city and san andreas....as a matter of fact, i'm not even fork over 20 bones to fool with this newest DLC and pay for a bunch more shit they should've included in the original release. maybe i'll get it when it's 1/2 priced.

Tricky
29-Oct-2009, 09:04 AM
PC gaming is dead, give it up and become one of us console gaming peasants.

I used to be a console gamer up until the end of the PS2 era, but im not interested in the current generation, maybe my age, I dunno, & the PC is far from dead as a gaming platform anyway!

MinionZombie
29-Oct-2009, 11:03 AM
I used to be a console gamer up until the end of the PS2 era, but im not interested in the current generation, maybe my age, I dunno, & the PC is far from dead as a gaming platform anyway!
Indeed, the PC is far from dead as a gaming platform.

Besides, all these consoles games are made on PCs. :p

There does need to be a proper handling of the PC market though when it comes to all-platform titles. This pish about shafting PC releases until later in the year, or providing a shitty port (like what happened with GTA IV - which I have on Xbox360).

I do most of my gaming now on Xbox360, my first console since my Mega Drive 2 actually - in those years inbetween I played PC games, but did play console titles at friend's houses on occasion. It was only when my rig on which I gamed at the time couldn't keep up (and was beyond updating to the required level), that I got myself an Xbox360 to do my gaming on - no worry about upgrades, and I was open to a whole array of titles that are never put on to PC.

However, I then got myself a brand spanking new beastly Quad Core (for my editing work), so naturally I was going to get a bit of gaming out of it too - in the past year I've played Crysis, STALKER Clear Sky, and Fallout 3 on it - as well as the Brotherhood of Steel add-on, and I'm currently on a break from Point Lookout (because GTA Episodes from Liberty City turned up yesterday a day before release :cool:).

PC gaming ain't dead, it's just disrespected a lot, and there's no out-right winner. Each format has their own set of positives and negatives, and the big thing going for PC right now is the likes of World of Warcraft.

I think the key to getting more PC gamers is providing games that can be played on a wide variety of rigs, not just shit-hot ones, and ones which provide a wide-open playing experience for a wide array of gamers.

Ooh, The Sims, that's another one for PC which is an absolute monster, and another reason PC gaming is going nowhere. Like I said - it's just disrespected a lot as a format, and that should change.

Aye, there is a lot of hype and excitement around MW2, but there was a boatload around MW1. More for this as we all know how awesome MW1 was, but really, just ignore it and you'll be fine - I've been ignoring the hype mostly. I've been watching trailers and hearing bits of this and that, and personally been looking forward to it, but apart from that I've not been curled up in a corner like a jizz-covered junkie trying to scrape together enough cash to get a fix.

I think there has been some ego-waving from IW, which is disappointing, but I think there's been a lot more from the publisher - Activision, right? The suits gouging the market for as much money as possible.

Fortunately I pre-ordered my MW2 before the price-hike after they saw how many pre-orders they were getting.

As such though, it is in their extreme interest to provide a GOOD game. They'd be absolute morons not to with such hype, anticipation, and pre-orders heaped on their shoulders.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Oct-2009, 12:31 PM

NO FUCKING WAY! Nothing and I mean nothing beats Frogger. That game is so epic in comparison to MW2.

MinionZombie
29-Oct-2009, 01:08 PM
NO FUCKING WAY! Nothing and I mean nothing beats Frogger. That game is so epic in comparison to MW2.
:lol::lol::lol:

CoinReturn
31-Oct-2009, 01:42 AM
Fight Against Grenade Spam PSA:

XxBdcdKVm2U

I'm liking the "last kill" feature!

MinionZombie
31-Oct-2009, 02:58 PM
fight against grenade spam psa:

xxbdcdkvm2u

i'm liking the "last kill" feature!
brilliant!

SymphonicX
31-Oct-2009, 03:09 PM
OMG I think I just died a little inside...

There's no 4 player co-op through the story mode....not even a 2 player co-op...in fact...no co-op at all really.

There's special ops mode which is co-op in the vein of Mile High Club from the original, but with two players.

This simply isn't good enough. The one thing that made MW1 slightly less than the best game ever made was it's lack of co-op. Now IW has decided not to include it because the game "suffers"...wtf? Let me decide that. I've been waiting a couple of years for this title and now one of the most basic and fun features of any shooter is not happening, and being replaced by Special ops mode?

Gimmie a break.

All I fucking wanted was the 4player co-op through the story. FFS you could do it in Rainbow Six, CODWAW, Halo3 etc...NONE of those games suffered.

That has well and truly pissed me off. And to top it off, the game is as long or shorter in story mode compared to the original?

Make the fuckin' effort IW.

CoinReturn
31-Oct-2009, 03:31 PM
25 Killstreak reward = TACTICAL NUKE!

m09NeDrZxPw

Ends the match instantly, the person with the most kills at that point wins.

The chances of this happening in a regular match are very very slim, but if you can get 25 kills in a row, more power to you.

SymphonicX
31-Oct-2009, 03:32 PM
25 kills in a row happens all the time....

Why are my alarm bells going off?

CoinReturn
31-Oct-2009, 03:54 PM
25 kills in a row happens all the time....

Without dying? Maybe like once a month, if that. It takes a supremely skilled player to pull that off in a competitive multiplayer match.

SymphonicX
31-Oct-2009, 04:05 PM
hmmm...maybe....now that I think about it...not sure I ever saw my mate, who's a genius at this game, score more than 15 without dying...will ask him...

ProfessorChaos
31-Oct-2009, 08:13 PM
in call of duty 4, i've got a 16 killstreak, and the highest killstreak of any of my friends is 24.

25 seems pretty high. hard to imagine that happening that often, but there are some players out there who are almost ungodly good at games.

MikePizzoff
02-Nov-2009, 01:58 PM
in call of duty 4, i've got a 16 killstreak, and the highest killstreak of any of my friends is 24.

25 seems pretty high. hard to imagine that happening that often, but there are some players out there who are almost ungodly good at games.

I'm not quite sure what my highest killstreak in CoD4 was, but it was pretty high. World At War is frustratingly hard to get killstreaks... actually, that game as a whole is extremely frustrating.

ProfessorChaos
02-Nov-2009, 03:44 PM
i have a kill steak of 21 in world at war, but if i recall, that was a tank level, so it doesn't really count.

i actually have been enjoying world at war more than modern warfare recently...something about m1a1 rifles and flamethrowers...:evil:

ProfessorChaos
05-Nov-2009, 04:40 AM
UGWVfXnFpzg

holy shit, i'm now fanatical about this game. flat-out mayhem warzone levels in the burbs looks amazing. loads of intense looking shots there, action packed for sure. and that's not even looking at the improved multiplayer...

less than a week, fellas.:hyper:

CoinReturn
05-Nov-2009, 04:46 AM
Looking good!

Stumbled across this sniper montage:

BOiZ6ALKRaU

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2009, 10:49 AM
Brand new launch trailer!!!

gyASw-1KWyU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyASw-1KWyU

Good lord I've got a boner right now...:D

ProfessorChaos
05-Nov-2009, 12:15 PM
Good lord I've got a boner right now...:D

hate to be a sgt. buzzkill, but i also was pretty bonerfied when i posted that same vid last night.;)

EDIT: well, i just dorked out and bought the first article of crap for my xbl avatar. now i'm all decked out in MW2 gear. pretty nifty, but i got a feeling that it'll be worn by damn near everyone.

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2009, 05:46 PM
hate to be a sgt. buzzkill, but i also was pretty bonerfied when i posted that same vid last night.

Whoops! :o

Forgot to "previous post check" ... but as you well know, with a video like that, you're sent into such a frenzied nerdgasm that you're about to explode, Randy Marsh style.

mista_mo
05-Nov-2009, 06:41 PM
I read somewhere that helicopters and air strikes no longer count toward your kill streak points, so you have to get the 25 kills regularly.

also, the PC version looks like it got the raw end of the deal.

no dedicated servers
18 players max
no competitive mods or developer consule
no lean
no vote kicking

MikePizzoff
05-Nov-2009, 09:04 PM
:confused: The launch trailer was good until Eminem started rapping. WTF does he have to do with anything? :rolleyes:

ProfessorChaos
06-Nov-2009, 12:12 AM
:confused: The launch trailer was good until Eminem started rapping. WTF does he have to do with anything? :rolleyes:

i'll agree. the beat gets ya pumped and whatnot, but the annoying whine of eminem was too much. there's a lot more songs that would've worked much better for this trailer.

you're also aware that curtis 50 cent jackson is a voice actor for this game, right? you can find him in the club and on your xbox console.

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2009, 09:38 AM
Fiddy has a voice in this? :rockbrow:

I heard he went for the role of B.A. in The A-Team, but was too late ... snooze you lose Fiddy, but we all win ... well, relatively, I'm not stoked at all about "Rampage" or whatever his name is.

Anyway, yeah, odd music, but there was rap music in COD4 when that one soldier puts on rap music after you've stormed the television studio and not found your target. The beat was suitable in this trailer, but Eminem does have the inate talent of annoying at least half of the population.

More suitable than some dance shit though, that's for damn sure, or some teeny bopper pop crap, or ballroom music, or reggae, or... :p

CoinReturn
07-Nov-2009, 09:15 PM
The game was leaked on the internet a few days ago, and lots of mom and pop retailers are selling it early in major cities. Apparently there are about 100,000 people playing on both systems, yet the game doesn't come out for a 3 more days. That and the fact that it's multiplatform makes me think MW2 will probably beat Halo 3's single day sales record.

Here's another multiplayer montage:

V9D189e_3ec

I can't wait until Monday night, holy shitpiss that looks good!

MinionZombie
08-Nov-2009, 10:52 AM
It's all lined up to break GTA IV's UK record last year with ease.

GTA IV sold like 926,000 copies in its first week. MW2 is set-up to sell 1.7 million!

With the added issue of jacked-up prices (a fiver was put on top of the price of all versions in the UK after a certain stage - I pre-ordered BEFORE Activision's price hike), it could well be the biggest selling game in the UK ever.

Isn't the projected worldwide sales figures something like over 11 million?

Hearing about "controversial scenes" that can be "skipped" if a player chooses just makes me all the more interested, especially as that corrupt little shit Keith Vaz MP (Labour) kicked up a fuss about Modern Warfare 2 in his usual moronic way.

MikePizzoff
09-Nov-2009, 12:51 AM
FUCK!!! I just found out I could have traded in my Saints Row 2 and Fallout 3 for $40 off MW2. The offer ended today. :mad::mad::mad:

Tricky
09-Nov-2009, 05:35 PM
It does look awesome, but im wondering what the crack with that brief glimpse of an outer space level is all about? thats taking it a step too far in a CoD game in my opinion! :confused:

darth los
09-Nov-2009, 06:16 PM
It does look awesome, but im wondering what the crack with that brief glimpse of an outer space level is all about? thats taking it a step too far in a CoD game in my opinion! :confused:

If the words "Modern Warfare" I would be in complete agreement with you. :p

Tricky
09-Nov-2009, 06:26 PM
I just thought the CoD modern war games were based on the present day though thats all (albeit with fictional conflicts)

CoinReturn
09-Nov-2009, 06:49 PM
It looks like that part of the game doesn't have you playing from the point of view of a space soldier, but rather an astronaut.

darth los
09-Nov-2009, 06:52 PM
I just thought the CoD modern war games were based on the present day though thats all (albeit with fictional conflicts)

I believe that as well. But it's been my experience that when video games are too real:

A) It gets really boring really quick so they feel the need to embelish a bit.

B) If the events in the game mirror those of real life too closely it causes contreversy.

MinionZombie
09-Nov-2009, 07:55 PM
lol, it's not gonna be a space solider, like has already been said. No doubt it'll be you as just an astronaut up and about doing space stuff when something goes crazy.

I'm really looking forward to that part.

I've had an hour on it so far, stopped for now at the beginning of the Favella level.

I've seen and played the controversial "No Russian" level, and I bet you there'll be a hell of a storm about that - Keith Vaz (a right corrupt wanker MP) has already moaned about it in parliament, so I bet it'll cause a bit of a storm.

I wasn't offended, but I was blown away by it ... it's rather graphic, and incredibly dramatic.

Will no doubt have another bash on it later.

As for the story, it's set five years after COD4, and seeing Soap MacTavish (the SAS dude you played in COD4) as a guiding NPC is really cool.

The snow base level, which was also shown around various expos and online, is quite tense to play too, sneaking around in a blizzard picking off people with a silenced gun before you go to "Plan B", which has the already seen but very thrilling to play snow mobile escape.

CoinReturn
09-Nov-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the impressions, sounds as awesome as I'd been hoping! I gotta wait about 7 more hours to get my hands on it, have you spent any time on SpecOps yet?

Not sure if I should jump in on Hardened of Veteran for my first playthrough, decisions decisions :hyper:

ProfessorChaos
09-Nov-2009, 08:57 PM
as i've already been bitching about, i've got a speech to give tomorrow for one of my classes, three rather large exams, a minor research project, and a three page extra credit report all in the next week.

so instead of getting my copy at midnight as i'd planned, i'm gonna have to hold off till the weekend to pick this bad boy up. and i'm going through on veteran from jump street.:cool:

EDIT: fuck it, who am i kidding? i'm a big boy and can manage my time wisely....i'm picking this damn game up tonight!

CoinReturn
10-Nov-2009, 05:00 AM
Just got back, and it was definitely the biggest videogame launch I've ever been to. At least 150 people snaked around the shopping plaza:

http://i38.tinypic.com/hrd3lc.jpg

The faint red light in the distance is Gamestop, plus there was about 50 more people behind me. Gonna chow down on my Taco Bell, then it's on!

SymphonicX
10-Nov-2009, 07:36 AM
Bloody american dating system...thought it was out THIS midnight, so woke up to find it's already been out for 8 hours!!! I dunno but i thought it was the 11/11 cos the real date of 11/10 should read 10/11....anyway...I bought the game this morning - so in the spirit of intense nuclear war, I forgive you all.... :)

Now, where's my pig?

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2009, 09:55 AM
I was bashing away again at it last night. I've done Act I, and I've done the first 3 levels of Act II - I've got up to the level which features the underwater scuba stuff as seen in the trailers, and decided to stop there for the night.

As for the game itself...

It's the most intensely chaotic overdose injection of pure adrenaline I've ever experienced in a videogame.

It's fucking insane.

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2009, 04:39 PM
Okay, I've just got off the phone with a mate of mine (and fellow COD nut). Not only was he jealous that I got my copy a day early, but having been looking forward to playing MW2 all day when he was at work, he comes home to find he can't go home - because some nutter in a nearby flat has apparently got a bomb and is holding someone hostage.

He shits me not, and I likewise shit you not.

How fucking crazy is that?! :eek:

As for MW2, I'm now well into Act III - I've just done the safehouse level (yes, with the big "bloody nora!" level close), and *shock horror*, I've got a complaint about MW2.

It's not a game ruining complaint, and I still love it, and I've still been routintely jaw-dropped.

But fuck off is what I'm playing "casual" - I'm on casual mode you see, that's how I wanna play my games - this ain't casual. Fuck off am I going anywhere near a higher setting, especially Veteran.

There's motherfuckers EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. There's almost no let-up ever, and even the 'quiet' levels escalate into a fubar situation with ease.

My point being - it's too insane. Too crazy and chaotic.

The level I was just on is a prime example, defending an area with multiple entrances, you've got your pokey not-very-clear compass in the corner, and everyone is either shooting at you, or barking orders and compass directions at you. It's RETARDED how breathless that level becomes, and indeed most of the game is.

As for the aforementioned "bloody nora!" moment, read on if you don't mind spoilers:

So after that total FUBAR situation at Makharov's hideout, Cpl Shepherd goes and fucking SHOOTS you (at this point you're playing Roach - through whose eyes you get to see the Kevin McKidd voiced Soap MacTavish you played in COD4) - not only that, he shoots Ghost as well (the badass with the skull-painted face mask) - not only that, they fucking throw you both in a ditch, pour petrol on you, and burn you alive!

Then after all that drama (my jaw was definitely floored), you go to the next level and - despite the sorry and horrific loss of Roach - you get back into the guise of Soap MacTavish - who is rejoined by, yes, the previously released from captivity Captain Price!

Holy fucking shit this game is like all the seasons of 24 boiled down into a heroin-style overdose that's shot right into your crazed, wide-open eyeball...

Also - the whole thing in the launch trailer with being in space (with plot spoilers)...

It's only a brief level, one of those "look and see" ones - you happen to be up in space fixing something by the ISS, you're told to look to the darkside of the earth, and you see the nuclear missile that Captain Price has launched in the previous level come soaring near you - it explodes - shit goes crazy, and your astronaut dude dies along with the ISS ... kinda harsh, but incredibly dramatic.

To be honest, I personally wanted a bit more space play, but even still the moment doesn't outstay it's welcome, and nobody should be concerned about 'space soldiers' or any nonsense.

So yeah, this game is fucking CRAZY. I'm constantly stunned by the sights and sounds ... and yes, the batshit crazy amounts of chaos all around you every fucking moment.

Which, yes, I think they've overdosed on - especially for casual mode anyway - which I'd have recommended (had I been a tester) to calm down on the on-screen blood when you get shot, to calm down on the amount of enemies you face, and to generally just allow the CASUAL player to breathe a little bit now and then.

I still love this game, but yeah ... that aforementioned intensely chaotic injection of pure adrenaline - the mofo is jabbed right into your damn eye every five seconds.

Tricky
10-Nov-2009, 05:26 PM
What i want to know is......how has captain price managed to get from world war 2 (and im sure he died in CoD 1 on the Tirpitz before reappearing in CoD2) to the modern battlefield?? I know its only a game & they can do what they like, but it kind of doesnt sit easy with the continuity of the series! :confused:

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2009, 05:58 PM
What i want to know is......how has captain price managed to get from world war 2 (and im sure he died in CoD 1 on the Tirpitz before reappearing in CoD2) to the modern battlefield?? I know its only a game & they can do what they like, but it kind of doesnt sit easy with the continuity of the series! :confused:
Well it's clearly a descendent of Captain Price in the original WW2-based COD games. :rolleyes:

Screw your noggin on, chap. :p;):D

BTW - Captain Price rocks! :thumbsup:

Tricky
10-Nov-2009, 06:11 PM
Well it's clearly a descendent of Captain Price in the original WW2-based COD games. :rolleyes:

Screw your noggin on, chap. :p;):D

BTW - Captain Price rocks! :thumbsup:

Ha ha I would say clone more like, the blokes identical! Not that im complaining, ive always liked his character in the CoD games!

darth los
10-Nov-2009, 07:49 PM
Ha ha I would say clone more like, the blokes identical! Not that im complaining, ive always liked his character in the CoD games!

This sounds like a good time for, Da Da DA !! :

The History of Call of Duty: http://retro.ign.com/articles/104/1042762p1.html

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2009, 08:23 PM

He's British, he's called Price, and he's got the same facial hair ... ... it's like Dolly the Sheep! :sneaky::p;):D

He is indeed an awesome character, and you really do respect him too.

That Graham Linehan (sp?) dude (writer of Father Ted, and The IT Crowd) spoke about COD4 on Gameswipe (one-off Charlie Brooker special shown on telly recently), specifically about the characters and how you grow to respect them and care about them - born out graphically in the final moments of COD4.

At the end of COD4 you don't know whether he lives or dies, so I was eager to see what was going to be said about him in MW2 - initially nothing - perhaps he was dead ... but perhaps NOT - as it was revealed that "Prisoner 627" is infact Captain Price!

There's even a level where he leads you as Roach, partly similar to (and directly referencing) the Pripyat levels of COD4.

MikePizzoff
11-Nov-2009, 05:56 AM
Wound up selling pretty much all of my games today so I could pick this bad boy up.

My feelings on this game can be summed up in just two words: Holy shit!

I've had nothing but pure FUN and amazement playing it. The single player feels like you're just playing a ridiculously intense/awesome movie, just like CoD4... actually, better, in my opinion. Spec Ops is mind-numbingly fun; no matter how many times I'll have to repeat a mission on veteran, I don't seem to grow frustrated or tired of it. Multiplayer is incredibly fast-paced; definitely more arcadey than CoD4, but not in a bad way. The multiplayer maps are insane, as well - the sheer size and amount of places to hide/explore in each map is almost overwhelming!

Game of the year. For me, at least.

PS - CoinReturn - pretty fun run we had with Spec Ops earlier.

CoinReturn
11-Nov-2009, 03:50 PM
PS - CoinReturn - pretty fun run we had with Spec Ops earlier.

Yeah, definitely! Sorry that A.) I wasn't talking, and B.) I ran off without any warning. My friend and I were playing and switching the controller back and forth every time we died. Good shit though, trying to get past those soldiers with dogs in the middle of the snowy forest was intense!

And in other news, Modern Warfare 2 has sold 1.23 million in the UK in 24 hours, smashing the previous record by double:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36482/Modern-Warfare-2-smashes-day-one-sales-record

According to official GfK-ChartTrack numbers obtained by MCV, the title sold 1,230,588 copies in 24 hours – smashing the previous record set by Rockstar's 2007 release.

The number represents close to one in 24 UK homes.

The news puts MW2 easily on course to hit the 1.7 million sales forecast by MCV last month – and means it's already matched HMV's slightly more conservative estimate.

US numbers should be insane!

MinionZombie
11-Nov-2009, 04:15 PM
GTA IV came out in 2008, not 2007, as that article states - sloppy journalism there. :p

Been playing some Spec Ops single player ... don't take kindly to the complete lack of Casual Mode in that mode, not kindly at all.

As for Casual Mode in general - it needed to be more casual throughout the game itself I thought. The clue's in the name of the mode, games making peoples around the world. :rolleyes:

That said, the worst "casual mode" I've ever come across was Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Fuck off is that fucking casual.

SymphonicX
11-Nov-2009, 04:20 PM
GTA IV came out in 2008, not 2007, as that article states - sloppy journalism there. :p

Been playing some Spec Ops single player ... don't take kindly to the complete lack of Casual Mode in that mode, not kindly at all.

As for Casual Mode in general - it needed to be more casual throughout the game itself I thought. The clue's in the name of the mode, games making peoples around the world. :rolleyes:

That said, the worst "casual mode" I've ever come across was Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Fuck off is that fucking casual.

I thought of you last night when i played a bit of it and saw there was a "skip mission" option in the pause menu...

Also when I did the test run thing, I got a crappy score and it suggested I played the game on "regular"....LOL! yeah right, i choose "veteran" and it made me OK about 4 screens of "are you sure?" "are you really sure?" "warning: veteran mode is extremely difficult, and it is not recommended you continue, are you sure you want to change the difficulty"....

hahaha...so yeah...it didn't convince me, last night played for 45 mins and am up to the snowmobile bit...AWESOME GAME....but it's gonna be way too short, I can tell.

Spec ops is basically nazi zombies but with MW2 elements...a lot more variation though, but played through a couple and already got my first 3 stars...

but yeah, "skip level" is the issue you and Dara o'Briain have - being unhappy with content you can't unlock because there's no chance for progression...

MinionZombie
11-Nov-2009, 05:45 PM
No, not really.

The "Skip Level" option is purely to avoid the "terrorist level" called "No Russian". It's not a "you're not good enough to advance, but here you go anyway" option.

It is true what Dara says though, people who aren't so good with games, but enjoy them nonetheless, are getting raped as consumers. Their lack of skill denies them the content they paid for.

Partly related, but not really for me anyway, I just want a "casual mode" to really mean that. I just want FUN, not a challenge. Life is enough of a challenge, I don't need them in my fun time too! Higher modes can provide the challenge that some people want, but there's a lot of people who just wanna play a fucking game and enjoy it.

Trying not to die, or not get shot, or having to repeat shit cos I got naded isn't entertaining in the slightest, and there'll be many who think likewise - hence - "casual mode" should properly cater for such individuals.

I wanna play, have fun, enjoy the things you can do, see the action, the story, the graphics, and enjoy the experience on offer. If I want a challenge I'll go to a higher difficulty setting, but I don't, which is why I chose "casual", so make it fucking CASUAL, okay?

As for Spec Ops, it's retarded you aren't allowed to have a "casual mode" on those. As such I've just been getting fucked off by some of the Spec Ops missions and turned my Xbox off. To me, being annoyed, ain't fun - CASUAL MODE please.

Also - I compelted MW2 earlier today - the ending of COD4 was awesome, remember that folks? Well MW2 pisses all over that awesomeness with a considerably far more awesome ending.

And, as if it was at all a secret (sarcasm overload), I guarantee you there'll be a MW3 ... ... incidentally, The Onion did a rather funny spoof of MW3, which seems to have been helped by IW themselves. :cool:

So therefore, what can we expect next year from Treyarch? I'm hoping Vietnam. Enough WW2 already, Vietnam doesn't have many games, and certainly no really high profile ones.

SymphonicX
11-Nov-2009, 05:51 PM
oh shit, I played that airport level last night, forgot I've gotten past the snowmobile bit!! That must have been where I saw "skip mission" - and drew conclusions from that...

Loved the airport level, loved the bit when you walk down the stairs and all the flights on the departure board go to "DELAYED"...nice touch!

MikePizzoff
11-Nov-2009, 06:08 PM
Loved the airport level, loved the bit when you walk down the stairs and all the flights on the departure board go to "DELAYED"...nice touch!

I can see "No Russian" stirring up HUGE controversy!!! Holy shit was that mission pushing the boundaries or what?! Aside from being very offensive (not to me, however), it was a VERY intense level; had my adrenaline pumping the entire time. I barely even shot my gun throughout the entire mission - I mostly just stood back and watched the chaotic realism in complete awe.

SymphonicX
11-Nov-2009, 06:42 PM
I started the level, realised I didn't have to shoot anyone, then restarted it and have done that scene without killing civvies...I'm just too moral!!! made me feel kinda dirty!!!!

It's already raised some eyebrows - I don't see it as that bad actually...if there were KIDS in that airport however, this would never have landed in our laps at all...

MinionZombie
11-Nov-2009, 07:54 PM
Keith Vaz has already made an arse of himself in parliament over it, and in response one of his fellow Labour MPs has started a facebook group that is pro videogames. :p

Vaz also had no idea it was in fact Modern Warfare 2 that was being released - so yet another non-gaming hysterical ninny.

As for the level. I didn't shoot any civvies, and was trying to get through the whole level without shooting anyone (aye, I'm just too moral and upstanding as well :)), but when all the armed dudes with riot shields turned up under that plane there was no moving us along, so I joined in out of frustration with the no movement.

Also, I'm not sure, but it doesn't look to me like IW got rid of the 'spawning enemies till you get beyond an invisible tripwire' thing. :rockbrow: I duno, I'm not convinced that it has been removed, there's always so many goddamn bad guys to shoot!

CoinReturn
11-Nov-2009, 08:03 PM
Also, I'm not sure, but it doesn't look to me like IW got rid of the 'spawning enemies till you get beyond an invisible tripwire' thing. :rockbrow: I duno, I'm not convinced that it has been removed, there's always so many goddamn bad guys to shoot!
It's eliminated, but the fact that there are multiple waves and the level design is always pushing you forward makes it seem like an endless supply of bad guys is always surrounding you. Veteran is kicking my ass, 3 hits and you're dead :annoyed:

MinionZombie
12-Nov-2009, 09:27 AM
It's eliminated, but the fact that there are multiple waves and the level design is always pushing you forward makes it seem like an endless supply of bad guys is always surrounding you. Veteran is kicking my ass, 3 hits and you're dead :annoyed:
Ah, that figures it then - waves ... cos yeah, that's more convincing than spawning. :rolleyes::p

I reckon they've made every difficulty setting harder to be honest. Casual Mode in COD4 was definitely easier - as it should be, hence my earlier rant. :D

Having completed MW2, I'm gonna let it percolate and I'll come back to it later again for a replay - I'm gonna go and get my joypad on Gay Tony, and then finish off Point Lookout.

MikePizzoff
12-Nov-2009, 12:00 PM
Ah, that figures it then - waves ... cos yeah, that's more convincing than spawning. :rolleyes::p

I think it IS more convincing than random enemies spawning at random points.

Exatreides
12-Nov-2009, 02:02 PM
1. Go to mission select
2. Select Mission
3. Set difficulty as recruit. Problem solved.

MinionZombie
12-Nov-2009, 05:04 PM
1. Go to mission select
2. Select Mission
3. Set difficulty as recruit. Problem solved.
On the campaign that's what I did.

I'm talking specifically about Spec Ops, where you don't have Casual/Easy mode, only Regular and above.

Tricky
12-Nov-2009, 05:38 PM

Thats what i love about Arma 2, realistic military missions where sometimes you'll only come across a couple of enemies in a mission, other times you'll be facing a battalion of mechanised infantry, all in a lovely open world with no invisible walls!

MikePizzoff
12-Nov-2009, 06:49 PM
On the campaign that's what I did.

I'm talking specifically about Spec Ops, where you don't have Casual/Easy mode, only Regular and above.

I've found that both regular and hardened modes on the spec ops missions really aren't that hard at all. Especially when playing with a friend. Only the veteran modes seem to give me any trouble (out of the six I've completed).

darth los
12-Nov-2009, 06:56 PM
More fake outrage. This guy Adam Sessler is going on Fox and friends to represent. I wish him luck with those douchebags.

But I'm seriously tired of people shitting on games and always complaining about their content. It's an art form like any other and i wish they would stop trying to censor it.

he arguement is that at the very least it desensitizes people to violence. Well, don't violent movies and television do that as well?

Check this comment out:

The majority of people who posted believe that videogames like COD:MW2 desensitize kids to violence and some posters go so far to suggest that videogames even encourages kids to reenact the game scenes and kill others. This is obviously not the case. But this is their belief and the mass media, like Fox and Friends, are partially to blame.

Hold the phone here. KIDS !! That's one of the problems right there. Kids shouldn't be exposed to this stuff at all. Would someone say: "We have to ban porn because it's desensitizing our kids and making sex just a casual experience." ?

Hell no. The first question any sane person would ask is " why the hell are these kids watching porn in the first place?"

Same deal here.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/700648/Sesslers-Soapbox-The-Modern-Warfare-2-Airport-Scene.html

SymphonicX
13-Nov-2009, 07:18 AM
Hmm, this game isn't really the vertible orgasmic joy that I expected...
Single player is good, but you don't have a clue what's going on in the story...the missions so far are quite easy and as for multiplayer - well...I HATE Cod multiplayer...the spec ops thing is OK, but once I've completed that and the single player I can see this game being shelved alongside Halo 3 and Cod4.

More of the same really, I dunno if I was expecting too much but so far the game hasn't delivered half of what I'd hoped for.

ProfessorChaos
13-Nov-2009, 08:39 AM
so no "pig's orgasm", huh, symph?:lol:

so far, i'm liking it a lot. i'm a stickler for details though, and if i recall, the sgt who's in charge of the unit in afghanistan is also the same dude who's in charge of the unit in the u.s. during the surprise attack 3 days later. WTF?

kinda like in world at war, you play the role of two different guys throughout, and each of them are privates for the duration of the game...even though there are several months that pass during the storyline. seriously, don't the makers of this game realize that people get promoted during their military careers?

but yeah, story mode is fun, currently running through on veteran difficulty. haven't fooled much with special ops, but it seems pretty sweet so far...and i'm a total call of duty multiplayer addict, so with all the improvements, i'm in gaming heaven right now.

MinionZombie
13-Nov-2009, 09:57 AM
Seems Sessler didn't go on Fox after all - scheduling conflict apparently. :rolleyes:

As for being "desensitised to violence", I'd be more detailed and say FICTIONAL FAKE violence. You can see as much stuff on a TV screen, but there's a vast, yawning chasm of difference between that and say, for example, seeing a dude get their head kicked in by a gang of thugs on a Friday night, or being involved in a store robbery, or any other random act of violence that can occur in real life - where you've seeing it through your own eyes, not on a TV screen, where you're hearing it with your own ears in real-life audio, not some augmented Stereo/Surround Sound set-up, smelling the smells of the moment, and feeling the situation.

A huge difference. But nobody ever makes that distinction when talking about "desensitisation" and it fucks me off.

As for MW2 plot elements - there are a couple of "eh?" moments in the story.

Captain Price "temporarily going rogue" when he launches the missile, and Captain Price immediately joining Taskforce 141 even though he's been imprisoned in that Gulag for, I don't know how long - so he's in fighting shape already is he? Hmmm.

Also, the American soldier from the first level gets immediately drafted into the CIA and the very next day he's joined a terrorist cell and attacks the airport?! Yeah right, they don't hire people freelance at a moment's notice for crying out loud.

Because the game is so frenetic, I did find it increasingly difficult to keep up with the story. Dialogue is rushed and often delivered during fire fights, so you've got not time to pay attention. Soliders in real life are trained to deal with such situations and screeds of information coming at them from all angles, but your average gamer isn't.

This is the main problem I have with MW2 - it's TOO MUCH ALL THE FUCKING TIME - there's barely any chance of a breath, and as such the plot frequently gets lost amongst the chaos.

For example, there's a bit involving having to "pop green smoke" - I completely missed the reason WHY we had to do that when I played the level itself, and only found out why on Wikipedia!

This said, I still loved MW2, and while the action is definitely better than MW1, as is the sense of scale, and drama, and the amount of "cool moments", the action is simply too non-stop.

There's feeling non-stop, but having plenty of time to understand the plot and breathe inbetween moments of intensity, and then there's literally non-stop and having no time to understand the plot fully, let alone take a breath ... MW2 is the latter.

MW2 does some stuff better than MW1, but MW1 does some things better than MW2. So ultimately, it's a level playing field when all is said and done.

Hopefully IW learn with MW3 about throttle control ... as well as making CASUAL MODE a bit more fucking casual. :eek:

Sounds like I'm bitching a lot, but those elements did annoy me, or grind on me, or disappoint me a bit. Even still, I was jaw-to-the-floor throughout (despite the odd gaping plot hole here and there - something they should seek to improve on in MW3), and was often shaking with adrenaline, hunched forth on my chair when it was all kicking off.

Also, I believe you play as five different characters throughout...

Private Joseph Allen, US Army Rangers
Sergeant Gary "Roach" Sanderson, Task Force 141
Private James Ramirez, 1st Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment
Captain "Soap" MacTavish, Task Force 141 (for three missions after Roach is betrayed, along with Ghost, by Cpl Shepherd (voiced by Lance Henrikson) and shot and burned alive - my jaw was on the floor at that moment, I must say!)
Unnamed International Space Station Astronaut, briefly...

mista_mo
13-Nov-2009, 10:11 AM
soaps a captain in this game I believe.

I'm still debating whether or not I want to pick this up tbh. I was never a big fan of COD multi player, and the single player story line is wtf ridiculous (and really damn short), but it is presented well enough, and seems to be engrossingish. That said, I'm having a tough time trying to justify 65 dollars for a 5 hour campaign, and multi player that I will most likely never play very often. I'm one to talk though, I bought ODST on launch day, for 65 bucks, and it has a 4.5 hour campaign, if that. At least I enjoy the multi player hehe.

also, Battlefield 2 bad company is coming in a few months I believe, so I may just wait for that, as it the multi player looks fantastic.

choices, choices....

darth los
13-Nov-2009, 01:54 PM
Hmm, this game isn't really the vertible orgasmic joy that I expected...
Single player is good, but you don't have a clue what's going on in the story...the missions so far are quite easy and as for multiplayer - well...I HATE Cod multiplayer...the spec ops thing is OK, but once I've completed that and the single player I can see this game being shelved alongside Halo 3 and Cod4.

More of the same really, I dunno if I was expecting too much but so far the game hasn't delivered half of what I'd hoped for.

soaps a captain in this game I believe.

I'm still debating whether or not I want to pick this up tbh. I was never a big fan of COD multi player, and the single player story line is wtf ridiculous (and really damn short), but it is presented well enough, and seems to be engrossingish. That said, I'm having a tough time trying to justify 65 dollars for a 5 hour campaign, and multi player that I will most likely never play very often. I'm one to talk though, I bought ODST on launch day, for 65 bucks, and it has a 4.5 hour campaign, if that. At least I enjoy the multi player hehe.

also, Battlefield 2 bad company is coming in a few months I believe, so I may just wait for that, as it the multi player looks fantastic.

choices, choices....

4 words: Left 4 Dead 2 !

Love it or hate it it's totally worth the 60 bucks if only for the fact that I've gotten (forget about hours) literally a year's worth of gameplay out of it.

mista_mo
13-Nov-2009, 02:18 PM
oh yea, forgot about that one haha. as much as I love it, I am still a little ansy about paying full price for it..but..it is so damn addictive.

I mean, If I am going to decide between 2 full priced expansion packs, I may as well choose the good one.

Tricky
13-Nov-2009, 02:53 PM
Quoted from elsewhere..

Here are some quick impressions from the single player so far.

After playing the single player for a little bit (on Act 2 of 3 now) I have to say it's definitely a step backwards. CoD 4 felt much more immersive and the story was intriguing with a main goal. There was a feeling of "we trust you to know how to get from a to b" and you just had the little blip on the compass at the bottom of the screen that told you which direction to go in. That has been replaced with a GIANT white circle that shows through everything and says things like "FOLLOW", "Protect", and "125 m". These things are then placed right on top of what you need to find. It takes all of the fun and immersion out of the game b/c it's basically become connect the dots, with them telling you exactly how to draw the line. I'm sorry, but if you can't find a glowing yellow suitcase in a room you should go find another hobby or a better level designer. I don't need a giant marker placed on top of it.

I have to say, the PC version definitely lacks any real "features" that are specific to improving the PC version (some features that used to be considered standard). The loss of leaning, even in single player, kills me. You also have no ability to customize the hud. I for one like to play without crosshairs or any ammo information. This cannot be turned off. The only options you are given are the ability to change the screen resolution and the quality of the graphics (textures, aa, etc.), remap the keys and play with the audio. Pretty sad that all of the features that were in CoD 4 didn't seem to make the transition over to this one.

This game feels like they tried to turn the dial up to 11, but in doing so went for the Michael Bay approach to story telling (aka big explosions and special effects over an incoherent story) rather than creating new features and telling a compelling story. The overall story feels rushed and scattered, jumping from one person to the next very quickly. The missions don't feel as connected as they did in CoD 4, and a lot of details are left up to you to fill in, which could have easily been added in as more missions. You do one mission and all of a sudden something HUGE has happened, but you never have this looming "something bad is about to happen" feeling. It just happens and you are left thinking "really? Where did this come from?" I've already played as several different people and I've only played 4 or so levels. It's hard to really form any attachment to a character when you are constantly playing some random person. Seeing a name displayed of who you "are" doesn't really make me feel attached to some random soldier. I've read that the campaign only last for about 4 hours or so, and at the pace I am going that seems about right. So far each mission has lasted about 10 - 15 minutes, counting the intro cinematics.

I will say though that the game does look really good as far as character / weapon models and environments go. The animations are also top notch.

It's too bad they didn't give this game some extra time in the cooker to really polish it for the PC. I've read a lot of the horror reports of the mp, and doubt I will play it. I'm sure their matchmaking is great for people that don't know how to use a server list and don't know what a good ping is, but as I mentioned above, I don't need a game to hold my hand to do the most basic of tasks like finding a server with people I like on it. If you are more of a single player person and aren't interested in the multiplayer I'd have to say this game is not worth the $60. Wait several years until it's on sale for 20 bucks.

Does that about sum it up? I was thinking about buying it after everyones early raving, but a few days later & reading stuff like that I cant really justify spending 50 bone on it! I also cant believe 2 years after release CoD 4 is still retailing at £40!! :eek: How do they justify that when equally awesome games drop down to £19.99 within a couple of months of release (on PC)

ProfessorChaos
13-Nov-2009, 04:02 PM
special ops is pretty fun so far, and if you enjoyed mw2 or world at war's multiplayer, you'll be very pleased with this game.

...but yeah, the campaign has some major weak points as far as plot and story progression go. it's still fun, but the pacing and progression of the story and characters involved is, as mo said, re-fucking-diculous.

CoinReturn
13-Nov-2009, 04:53 PM
If you're buying Modern Warfare 2 for single-player only, you're buying it for the wrong reason. Those impressions are horrible, the guy didn't even play multiplayer.

Tricky
13-Nov-2009, 05:06 PM
Thats the problem though, nearly all games seem to be geared towards multiplayer these days, which fucks things over for those of us who like a good single player game with a decent story line & AI. I played nothing but multiplayer for quite a long time a couple of years back, but eventually got sick of it & went back to enjoying single player

darth los
13-Nov-2009, 05:46 PM
Thats the problem though, nearly all games seem to be geared towards multiplayer these days, which fucks things over for those of us who like a good single player game with a decent story line & AI.

Resident Evil 5 anyone? :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
13-Nov-2009, 06:05 PM
If you're buying Modern Warfare 2 for single-player only, you're buying it for the wrong reason. Those impressions are horrible, the guy didn't even play multiplayer.

Interesting, I'm only gonna play MW2 as single player, and I had a lot of fun.

I did have a couple of moments where I was like "fuck off" to the gameplay, and when you look back on it, the story does have some pretty gaping plot holes - but it's really, in my view, like a season of 24 ... despite some absurdity, it still rocks.

The comments about the PC version I can't comment on, as I've got it for 360.

As for the thing about the big "follow" type text and such, I didn't care much for it either and preferred the icon on the map - however, I understand WHY it's now there. Because the game is so fucking chaotic and non-stop, you need a great big "OVER HERE! HEY!" type thing, especially when running flat-out to reach something (such as the frantic escape from the Favellas).

My main issue is, aside from iffy plot holes, the constant unrelenting nature of the game. It's so fast paced that there's no time to breathe, or really take stock of the amazing level design ... you do get some opportunities, but many are missed because of all the chaos. So it's a half-n-half deal on that thing really.

They really needed to spend more time making sure the plot progression worked in-game, which it doesn't all the time. Meanwhile in COD4 you always knew what was going on and why - because the pace was much more measured, and only kicked into high gear when it was appropriate and the story elements weren't going to get in the way.

For example, in MW2, many story elements will be relayed via headset radio when you're too busy picking off all the bad guys swarming all around you. It's too much - they went overboard with the amount of action.

That said, the action itself is still stellar, and some of the best action in any FPS there has been. It's just a shame it doesn't gell as well as it should have done with the storytelling.

That's really my issue with MW2, but like I've said - I was jaw-dropped throughout (with a couple of "oh fuck off! annoying!" moments here and there) and would ultimately place it on level-pegging with COD4.

COD4 did some things better some things worse, and COD6 does other things better some things worse ... so when all is said and done, it's even steven.

ArmA 2 it isn't ... ... unrelenting adrenaline punched right into your face with a jackboot it most definitely is.

CoinReturn
13-Nov-2009, 08:03 PM
The campaign is good, don't get me wrong. I've yet to finish the singleplayer, but I'm not getting any of the complaints. I'd rather have a shorter, tightly woven kick to the balls action game with tons of cool cinematic moments over something like ODST where the action segments rely on a gimmick or gameplay option that artificially extends the game's length (like ODST's Rookie missions).

Plus, with SpecOps, you've got a healthy chunk of singleplayer left to dig into.

mista_mo
13-Nov-2009, 09:42 PM
I think it is pretty well known that IW dropped the ball on the PC version. I mean, the multi player is a downgrade from COD4. 64 players to 18, no dedicated servers, no customization at all, hell, no leaning ffs. Check out the user scores for the pc version, and compare that to the console versions, and you should be able to come to the conclusion that the reviewers are either way out of touch with the actual consumer base, or they are used to consoles, so the pc changes really don't affect them.

If anything stay away from the PC version if you are used to having some control and customization, and just get the 360 or ps3 version.

MikePizzoff
13-Nov-2009, 11:00 PM
I'd rather have a shorter, tightly woven kick to the balls action game with tons of cool cinematic moments over something like ODST where the action segments rely on a gimmick or gameplay option that artificially extends the game's length (like ODST's Rookie missions).

Plus, with SpecOps, you've got a healthy chunk of singleplayer left to dig into.

I agree 110%.

I think most of the people complaining that it's too chaotic don't get that they were trying to give you a sense of what war is really like (I say this very lightly - don't attack me); there is no "down time" or "breaks" when you're in battle, so I figure they didn't want to involve any of that in the game.

This game was everything I had hoped for, times two. I don't think I've ever been happier with a game... except maybe San Andreas.

ProfessorChaos
13-Nov-2009, 11:21 PM
i'm not upset by the amount of action, although from my time in iraq and my enlistment in the military, it's IMO that given modern technology, we probably won't ever see a WWII-size conflict again. it's possible, i'm not denying that, but IW is trying to squeeze all the action of an involvement that epic into a week-long war set in modern times....ain't gonna happen. but i also realize that the dead probably won't ever return to life either, so i guess i can suspend belief long enough to play along....

but my big gripe is just the fact that you've got an infantry sgt who is in combat in afghanistan one day, then in defense of the u.s. in a surprise attack, fighting in virginia a handful of days later. soap is deep in bad guy country in the middle of a blizzard, then a couple of days later is in brazil, then an arctic oil rig. private allen is some boot motherfucker on an aghan base, doing a training mission, then goes on a combat op in afghanistan, is drafted into the CIA, turned into a spy, and goes on an undercover terrorist mission at an airport the next day. they should at least try to make the story half-way believable. i could deal with the story if they'd put the characters in a sensible timeline and context for the tale itself. it's like they spent all that time cramming all the shit they could into multiplayer and special ops (and a fine job they did on those two parts) and offered a half-assed campaign that makes very little fucking sense.

however, i didn't buy it for the campaign, as i'm sure most of you didn't, so i'm not too bothered....i just feel like they could've put forth a bit more effort into the single-player campaign instead of marketing the fuck out of this game and getting all high and mighty, claiming it was the best thing since super mario brothers.

okay, gotta head to work, rant over.:D

SymphonicX
14-Nov-2009, 10:19 AM
Thats the problem though, nearly all games seem to be geared towards multiplayer these days, which fucks things over for those of us who like a good single player game with a decent story line & AI. I played nothing but multiplayer for quite a long time a couple of years back, but eventually got sick of it & went back to enjoying single player

Exactly, tricky.

I am a big online player - but I don't buy games to do that (unless it's l4d) - the USP for me is the single player and if that's been shortened or neglected then I feel totally fucking ripped off.

However...back to my pig's orgasm...I played some multiplayer last night and had a f**kin ball!!! on one game I was even in a positive Kill/Death ratio!!!! 14 to 6 deaths!!! That's never really happened to me in COD before, I always find the games are based around me spawning then getting shot after running somewhere...

Last night I ever managed to out flank a whole squad and take them out with my shotty...good fun!

Still though, this is definitely one of those games where I won't know my true opinion of it until three or so months from now - but so far, so good really...definitely worth my 40 bucks...

This game however is like a Dream Theater album...its just relentless technicality...sometimes it feels as though its showing off, other times it feels as though it's been rushed...most of the time it hits the mark perfectly but I just want more!!!

Downtime in a game is essential...a point in the game that doesn't just require you to shoot the crap out of tons of NPCs, a bit of a puzzle like "get from here to here, using this key, but watch out for the blah blah blah" whatever...that sort of stuff, really breaks it up - so you can have a moment of thinking, taking in the environment, listening to the music and potentially clearing up any plot holes that you don't have to cover up in the middle of a firefight.

I made a comment a while back saying that the brazil level in the favelas didn't really look like Rio (having spent a few weeks there in 2006) - I totally, totally take that back. They fuckin' nailed it. Perfectly. It's an hilly, uneven place to be, and everything is made by the civvies who live there (for instance the electrical infrastructure really does look like those boxes with tons of cables coming out of them, I dunno if they explode when you shoot them though haha)...basically it's really accurate in places - but when you look upwards to see all those shacks on the hill - it looks like that x1000...still, very accurate - totally captures the atmosphere of Rio's slums...also I just LOVE hearing bits of brazilian portuguese being used by the enemy...

MinionZombie
14-Nov-2009, 10:54 AM
As for the action issue - I'm all for the action, it's just that it's not balanced correctly with the story telling. That's the problem, and hence me saying "it's too much". It's also not balanced correctly for "casual mode" either. That, and the handful of gaping plot holes in the campaign story, are my gripes with MW2. Oh yeah, and the disrespect to the PC market is uncool as well ... but as I got it on Xbox360, I can't personally comment.

Aside from that - love it.

Speaking of rants, I had an epic rant on my blog, all brought on by a typically high-brow, snooty and snobbish savaging of the game (in a piffly few minutes at the ass end of the show) on Newsnight Review last night (UK folk can catch it on iPlayer, and skip to the end to see what I mean - Paul Morley's a bell end).

Anyway - my rant layeth beyond this link:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/11/modern-warfare-2-rant.html

I do warn you though, it is quite a long rant. :D

Tricky
14-Nov-2009, 01:36 PM
Exactly, tricky.

I am a big online player - but I don't buy games to do that (unless it's l4d) - the USP for me is the single player and if that's been shortened or neglected then I feel totally fucking ripped off.

Agreed!for me multiplayer was always a fun sideshow to the main event of an awesome single player game, and it was something to enjoy & get your moneys worth from after you'd completed the SP game, (doom,quake,crysis,far cry etc) but thats all changed now. I do own a few games that are purely multiplayer like battlefield 2 & counterstrike source & they are/were fun, but the CoD games were never originally built on the back of multiplayer, up until the last couple of games it was as I said before, a fun sideshow. I do enjoy gaming online, but you find within a few months of the game being released that you start coming into contact with "those types" all the time i.e. trolls, l33t clans,hackers,aimbot users,teamkillers,people that just muck about & people calling you a "noob" if you happen to make a mistake, which sucks the fun out of it quickly & drives me back to playing on my own. Ive mentioned it before on other forums & got the usual "well you must be shit at games then", but im not, im actually pretty good at FPS games both on & offline, but I just find online puts my stress levels up when im meant to be having fun

MinionZombie
14-Nov-2009, 05:29 PM
Downtime in a game is essential...a point in the game that doesn't just require you to shoot the crap out of tons of NPCs, a bit of a puzzle like "get from here to here, using this key, but watch out for the blah blah blah" whatever...that sort of stuff, really breaks it up - so you can have a moment of thinking, taking in the environment, listening to the music and potentially clearing up any plot holes that you don't have to cover up in the middle of a firefight.

Damn straight.

MikePizzoff
14-Nov-2009, 05:41 PM
It's also not balanced correctly for "casual mode" either.

I just think maybe you suck at MW2! :p

MinionZombie
14-Nov-2009, 05:43 PM
I just think maybe you suck at MW2! :p
Fuck off. :shifty:

As a conniseur of casual mode, I know when it's done right (e.g. Gears of War 2) and when it's done wrong (e.g. Gears of War 1). MW1 had casual mode spot on, unfortunately MW2 has ramped it up for some inexplicable reason.

Casual should mean CASUAL.

darth los
19-Nov-2009, 08:45 PM
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/700843/Hidden-Game-Modes-Discovered-In-Modern-Warfare-2.html

slickwilly13
31-Dec-2009, 04:12 AM
I purchased a copy at Target for $39. The sale is good, until Jan 2.

AcesandEights
05-Jan-2010, 03:14 PM
Finally got to play this, as I had gotten it as a Christmas present and I agree with a lot of what has been said. The game looks beautiful, has decent shooter mechanics (lack of an in-cover or leaning mechanism kind of sucks) and has some modern (aka novel) additions such as the piloting of drones etc.

That said, the campaign, though pulse-pounding at times, is certainly on the short-side with a jumbled and sloppy narrative.

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2010, 05:59 PM
It's interesting to note that my criticisms of MW2 after my first play through, were less founded on the second play through. I think once you've been through it and know what to expect, you can enjoy it more for what it is the second time around.

I've now played it through 3 times, but am naturally going to take a break from it for a good while to make it fuckin' brand new again.

Right now I'm doing The Saboteur.

ProfessorChaos
27-Mar-2010, 11:29 AM
those of you still playing this online no doubt know that the so-called "stimulus package" is coming out next week. i, for one, am boycotting this rip-off till the price drops. some might say that 15 bucks for 5 maps is fair, but not when 2 are maps ported from the first modern warfare. in addition, i recall hearing talk of new special ops missions, but there's not going to be any of that added.

activison is probably the greediest game company out there, imo. the term "stimulus package" (lately, not literally, i suppose) implies a deal on behalf of the consumer, but to me, this just seems like a cash-grab for the greedy fucksticks who can't stop peddling shitty guitar hero games, crappy spiderman games, constantly declining tony hawk games, and are on track to ruin the call of duty franchise.

so i'm holding off till the price is more reasonable. i know it's only 5 bucks, but think of all the suckers who are throwing down for this and how much extra $$$ is being made from this. it's pretty sad.

a real stimulus package would be selling the map pack for 5 bucks. i'm sick as hell of game companies nickel-and-diming us to death and really wish people wouldn't part with their money so easily for shitty overpriced content. i understand that there are people whose jobs are making these maps, but you know damn well that this is just a corporate dickwad move on the part of activision's bigwigs. i'm tired of their arrogance about how "great" mw2 is and how it's the "biggest entertainment release ever" and think we should sit this one out till they get the hint.

okay, rant over.

(and yeah, i've heard all about how great BC2 is and how the maps are free, but i really don't care to discuss that here, so don't bother)

Danny
27-Mar-2010, 11:43 AM
dude. its a console shooter these are practically made nowadays with the income from map packs in mind. "why kill people in desert town when you can do it in forest town for $15!" people eat that up, especially repetition of what they like.

mista_mo
27-Mar-2010, 11:45 AM
FOUR HOUR CAMPAIGN
BROKEN MULTI PLAYER WITH FUCKED UP WEAPONS
2 HITS AND YOUR DEAD LOL
15 DOLLARS FOR 3 NEW MAPS, AND 2 PORTED ONES
PLOT MAKES NO SENSE
RAMIREZ DO EVERYTHING

Okay, now seriously, that doesn't surprise me. Kotick, and b extension activison, are the greediest bunch of assholes in the gaming industry. Not a chance in hell I would pay 15 dollars for 3 new maps, and 2 ported ones.

I actually tried the game at a friends house however, and it was pretty fun. Not mind blowing, but it was fun to play. There are a few really really really fucking idiotic perks/weapon combinations out there, but it can be enjoyable if you have some friends to play with. Still holding off on it though, as I am not paying 70 bucks for the damn thing.

Also obligatory BC2 is fun, maps are free, etc. ad nauseum. You said not to mention it, therefore someone must mention it right?

Not that I have either mind you...huh...now I want a fps war game to play...shit.

ProfessorChaos
08-Apr-2010, 02:40 AM
so disappointed in these numbers:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/108/1082363p1.html

i honestly thought this would be a bust, but there are apparently more sheeple out there than i estimated.

on a side note, i'm thinking of trading in my copy of MW2, but not sure if it'll be taken due to the damage...doesn't read the disc sometimes. for my online multiplayer kicks, i think i'll stick to WaW and go for the last achievement (10th prestige, aptly titled "go outside") of the game.

ProfessorChaos
14-May-2010, 08:28 PM
okay, who didn't see this one coming? another shitty overpriced map-pack for the most overrated and busted-ass game this decade:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/108/1089604p1.html

3 new maps, 2 old ones, 15 bucks. another no-lube ass-raping from crapavision.

on a side note, i've not played MW2 in over a month (don't even have the game anymore) and i don't miss it a bit.

Exatreides
14-May-2010, 10:17 PM
I have the game but haven't played it in around the same time. BCBC2 and counterstrike source here on my laptop. Game was a huge disappointment

fulci fan
14-May-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't know why they don't do a Vietnam game. :(

MinionZombie
15-May-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't know why they don't do a Vietnam game. :(
At least part of the next COD game (out November 10th 2010) will be set in Vietnam ... seems as though the game itself takes place over the Cold War, but over how many years we don't know and involving what aspects of history we also don't know.

But there will be Vietnam missions in COD: Black Ops.

I've still got my copy of MW2, natch. I played it three times in November and haven't gone back to it yet - been busy with other games - plus 3 times in one month burns you out on it a little bit, I'll have to leave it a good while before I return to it ... and I will return to it.

mista_mo
18-May-2010, 09:16 PM
Enjoy paying 15 dollars for 3 new maps, and 2 old ones, again! (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/modern-warfare-mw2-dlc-cod-resurgence,news-6803.html)

Yep, anouther super expensive map pack is being released. Both map packs together (Stimulus, and resurgence) cost 30 dollars.

30 goddamn dollars for 6 new maps, and 4 ports with slight tweaks? I don't mind paying for DLC at all, but this is just...ridiculous. The shame is that tons of people are going to buy this one as well, and it will only cause activision to continue charging ridiculous prices for their DLC.