PDA

View Full Version : I am the luckiest bastard in the world

krakenslayer
06-Oct-2009, 05:23 PM
I just got a new job, and my old work let me finish today and is paying me to sit on my ass for twenty days until the new one starts!!

For those of you who don't know, I hate my job. Or hat-ED it.

I work(ed) in a call centre trying to sell Card Protection cover to little old ladies and grumpy old men who just want to activate their credit cards. And I was bad at it, too. Mostly because I'm not good at twisting people's arms when they really don't want to do something. I am not a pushy kinda guy, it was the wrong job for me.

So yesterday I got a call from HMV confirming that they wish to take me on at the end of this month as a Sales Assistant (fixed term for xmas with a good possibility of getting kept on permanently afterwards). Today I walked into work and told my boss I had found another job and was leaving, expecting to have to haggle them down from four weeks notice to two/three. My boss was an awesome boss - even though I hated the job itself, she was always great - but I fully expected her to be more than a little bit pissed off with my decision (especially considering how much help and support she's put in to helping me reach targets, etc.). Not so, it seems.

She was very understanding and had a word with her boss who, it seems, has been under pressure to re-deploy some guys from another department into my one, but had no leeway to create new jobs for them. Apparently, my leaving actually saves his ass on this issue, so he's repaying me the favour by letting me leave immediately and keeping me on full pay until my new job starts!!! This all happened in the space of about two hours. I am sooooo happy.

FUCKING YESSSS!!!!! TWENTY DAY HOLIDAY!!!

(hence the "yeehaw" mood)

AcesandEights
06-Oct-2009, 06:08 PM
Nice, dude! Congratulations! No time for enjoying the fruits of your labor than the present, I say...so get out there and have a blast this next month!

EvilNed
06-Oct-2009, 06:24 PM
I smell haggis-party coming up!

krakenslayer
06-Oct-2009, 06:36 PM
Nice, dude! Congratulations! No time for enjoying the fruits of your labor than the present, I say...so get out there and have a blast this next month!

Thanks man. I just feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Before today, I was so depressed in my job. So I've spent most of this evening sporadically bursting into fits of laughter at the awesomeness of the situation. :lol:

The only downside is I actually have an Open University exam next Friday, so the next week-and-a-half of my extended break will be spent studying for that. But even so, that's pretty cool in itself, as it gives me more time to bone up.

I smell haggis-party coming up!

ROFLMFAO!!!! :lol::lol:

kortick
08-Oct-2009, 04:26 AM
cool for u.

hope ur new job is something
that u enjoy.

and eek...not long ago I actually
saw haggis.

not exactly party food but then
again if u dont vomit or pass out
at the end of a party it wasnt any good
to begin with.

MoonSylver
08-Oct-2009, 05:29 AM
saw haggis.

to begin with.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/r/ramireez2.jpg

"Haggis? What's Haggis?
"Sheep stomach stuffed with oats and barley."
"How REVOLTING!!!"
:lol::lol::lol:

krakenslayer
08-Oct-2009, 10:50 AM
cool for u.

hope ur new job is something
that u enjoy.

saw haggis.

to begin with.

I'm saving the partying, vomiting and passing out until after the exam. :D

As for haggis - yuck - tastes like farts and death. I never touch the stuff. :p

blind2d
09-Oct-2009, 02:44 AM
Yeah Moon! I just watched that film! Sean is the best part... but the end is okay too.

clanglee
09-Oct-2009, 02:54 AM
Yeah Moon! I just watched that film! Sean is the best part... but the end is okay too.

http://hegylako.fplanet.hu/film/kepek/letoltheto/kurgan/kurgan2.jpg

Wanna guess again?:evil:

MoonSylver
09-Oct-2009, 04:42 AM
Wanna guess again?:evil:

:lol:

http://homepage.mac.com/djkuhn/kurgan.jpg

"I am...in disguise!"
"Happy Halloween ladies!
"Forgive me Father I am...but a worm!"
"I'M HERE...'CAUSE I GOT SOMETHIN' TO SAY! BETTER TO BURN OUT...THAN TO FADE AWAY!!!"

Everything about the Kurgan=Awesome. (Or Highlander period for that matter...)

capncnut
09-Oct-2009, 05:33 AM
Not quite the luckiest person in the world but darned good for a one off.

Sure you got two thirds of a month paid but I worked at a cab office for three years and did nothing but play Sony PSX all night (night shift) non-stop. My total workday (as a radio controller my job was my voice) was literally 15 mins per night over a 10 hour period total. The year was 2001 and I was paid £10 per hour. Had drivers from all walks of life: Indian, Chinese, Turkish, you name it. Whenever a driver went for a coffee or a kebab or an Indian, freebies were brought back daily.

I cannot count the amount of times I was treated to a full restaurant meal, sit in.

Free ride to and from work every day...

Major Everybody's Golf contest that lasted almost two years with the drivers...

Dope, booze...

One day, we got a call from the Metropolitan Hotel, "A car for a Mr. Billy Corgan and James Iha going to Wembley." I happened to mention I was a Pumpkins fan and received a signed copy of Machina: The Machines Of God and got the privalege of talking to them over the radio. Along with numerous celebs over that period...

Did I mention that the job was four days on and four days off? :D

krakenslayer
09-Oct-2009, 08:59 AM

Sure you got two thirds of a month paid but I worked at a cab office for three years and did nothing but play Sony PSX all night (night shift) non-stop. My total workday (as a radio controller my job was my voice) was literally 15 mins per night over a 10 hour period total. The year was 2001 and I was paid £10 per hour. Had drivers from all walks of life: Indian, Chinese, Turkish, you name it. Whenever a driver went for a coffee or a kebab or an Indian, freebies were brought back daily.

I cannot count the amount of times I was treated to a full restaurant meal, sit in.

Dope, booze...

One day, we got a call from the Metropolitan Hotel, "A car for a Mr. Billy Corgan and James Iha going to Wembley." I happened to mention I was a Pumpkins fan and received a signed copy of Machina: The Machines Of God and got the privalege of talking to them over the radio. Along with numerous celebs over that period...

Touche, sir. Touche. :D

Why ain't you still working there?

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Dope, booze...

capncnut
09-Oct-2009, 03:07 PM

The company moved further out in London and it was a bitch to get to. I was also offered another job, which was a couple of pounds less per hour but it was only five mins from my house, so I took it.

But I posted a classic story on here once about dealing with a majorly irate Jason Donovan waiting for his car. Let's just say he got it... but not the car. ;)

And mmm, we got lots of double posts going on. Andy?