PDA

View Full Version : Dr.WHO fans, get your "wtf"s ready

Danny
06-Oct-2009, 08:49 PM
remember the logo for who, that psychedelic mess of colour with the spinning disc thats been around in some form or another for around half a century?

apparently that doesnt fit the new 'bella and edward" team so they have this "hip and origional" replacement.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/500x_logo2.jpg

:barf: A THOUSAND TIMES :barf:

it looks like the logo to a 70's gimp club!?!

i haven't dug the last season too much, too many "im sorry, im so sorry" bollocks but i haven't seen jack of this and im hatin' it already.

capncnut
06-Oct-2009, 09:04 PM
Actually, I prefer it to that mess of a logo in Eccleston/Tennant eras...

krakenslayer
06-Oct-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah, so long as the into features some psychedelic imagery (time vortex, or whatever) then I'll be happy.

In all honesty I'm more interested in the content of the show itself than in whatever logo they're sticking on the latest batch of kid's socks or whatever. It could be misspelled and written in purple crayon, but as long as the episodes are good, I'll have no complaints. :D

DubiousComforts
06-Oct-2009, 11:09 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/500x_logo2.jpg
Isn't the 'DW' shaped like the Tardis? They should just go with that for a logo on products, and the 'Doctor Who' logo for the on-screen titles.

Zombo
07-Oct-2009, 12:30 AM
I like the older, no-budget Dr. Who shows. They're so crappy they're fun.

BillyRay
07-Oct-2009, 03:29 PM
Yes...a Doctor Who thread. Been waiting for this...

I like the new logo, it reminds me of the Hartnell/Troughton era. I suppose we'll get a new Time Vortex opening to go with?

The DW Tardis logo I'm not in love with. But then again I didn't like the Sontaran redesign. The new Cybermen were "Meh; but they're from another dimension". It won't keep me from watching the next series.

I have high hopes for Steven Moffat's tenure. After all, this is the guy who wrote 'Empty Child/Doctor Dances', 'Blink', 'Girl in the Fireplace', 'Time Crash' (Which made a really good point for a younger Doctor); Hell, he wrote 'Curse of the Fatal Death' - the most spot-on parody of the old show evah.

capncnut
07-Oct-2009, 06:28 PM
I like the new logo, it reminds me of the Hartnell/Troughton era.
<spooges>

These youngin's don't know what they've missed. :D

BillyRay
07-Oct-2009, 07:54 PM
<spooges>

These youngin's don't know what they've missed. :D

That's one of the reasons I liked Davies' tenure & look forward to Moffat's. These cats LOVE the Classic series. It's obvious in everything they do.

That's why altho' the SFX are updated, they're not over-slick. The designs are still a bit wonky, like they'd be built out of foam rubber. Why there's little bits of fanservice that don't overpower the stories, but give us old-timers a cheap thrill.

It;s kind of funny - The first time I watched the 'Lazarus Effect' and Old Man Lazarus devolves into that CGI scorpion monster, I thought to myself "Guh, that looks kind of fake." I immediately realised that back in the day it would have been some guy in a rubber suit (with a visible zipper) and bug-eyed mask. And I would have eaten it up...

capncnut
07-Oct-2009, 08:00 PM
And of course, Davies brought back some of the old skool monsters for us old timers to go schizo about. I couldn't believe it when the Macra made a return.

But I'm looking forward to this new kid who taking over from Tennant, I think he really looks the part. Very dapper, what-what, game of cricket, would you like a jellybaby? :D

BillyRay
07-Oct-2009, 08:20 PM
But I'm looking forward to this new kid who taking over from Tennant, I think he really looks the part. Very dapper, what-what, game of cricket, would you like a jellybaby? :D

One of the constants of being an American fan of the show is that every time the role of the Doctor is recast, it's always somebody I've never heard of.:lol:

Sure, I was familiar with Eccleston from 28 Days Later, and Tennant had what ammounted to a cameo in Harry Potter, but since the old days I had to trust that the producers cast the role appropriately.

As much as I would have liked to have seen Bill Nighy or Eddie Izzard in the role, I like the idea of a backwards-aging Doctor. Matt Smith has got the Old/Young look, and they got top writers to put te words in his mouth.

So I'm optimistic...

_liam_
08-Oct-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm not mad on it, but it's better than the last one. They change it every few years or so anyway. That DW thing has to go though, lol

It's better than the late baker/davison/c baker logo!

capncnut
10-Oct-2009, 04:13 PM
Talking of old skool Doctor Who, Barry Letts died yesterday.

Click (http://www.examiner.com/x-10643-Dr-Who-Examiner~y2009m10d9-Barry-Letts--Doctor-Who-producer-of-Jon-Pertwee-era-dead-at-84-19252009) for article.

_liam_
10-Oct-2009, 06:01 PM
Big up Barry, he inserted more environmentalist/liberal stuff into the show, expanded the format to include more contemporary earth stories & the UN. Before Barry it was a space show with the occasional historical, but he helped inject a grittier, more Quatermass like sensibility, which exists to this day.

He also listened to early 70s writer/script editor Terrance Dicks & commissioned more stuff from Bob Holmes, who eventually went on to be basically one of the 3 people who shaped the first half of the Tom Baker era, probably the most popular.

He was also an accomplished Actor & Director, practicing Buddhist & early proponent of Blue Screen/CSO/Chromakey.

RIP Mr Letts

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/1/7121.jpg

capncnut
10-Oct-2009, 06:07 PM
Enemy Of The World, The Daemons, Planet Of The Spiders...

Danny
10-Oct-2009, 06:45 PM
Big up Barry, he inserted more environmentalist/liberal stuff into the show, expanded the format to include more contemporary earth stories & the UN. Before Barry it was a space show with the occasional historical, but he helped inject a grittier, more Quatermass like sensibility, which exists to this day.

quatermass namedrop, noiyce!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/sci-five-tshirt1.jpg

Andy
10-Oct-2009, 06:53 PM
I watched dr who occassionally but not regullarly until I saw one of john simms master episodes, the guy is awesome, pretty much the perfect supervillain.

Danny
10-Oct-2009, 07:03 PM
I watched dr who occassionally but not regullarly until I saw one of john simms master episodes, the guy is awesome, pretty much the perfect supervillain.

i didnt care for him that much really, no reason he just didnt resonate with me as a threatening guy, just an angrier more childish version of the doctor, but i suppose thats sort of the point of him.

kortick
11-Oct-2009, 01:17 AM
Barry Letts was great in Dr Who history.

His work with Terrance Dicks and Jon Pertwee literally
saved the show from being cancelled.

Plus the creation of the Master played by Roger Delgado
was incredible.

It was Barry Letts who cast Tom Baker as the next Doctor
and upgraded Dr. Who from a 'kiddie show' to a more
adult program.

Sad that so much of what he did wont be known
to fans of the show.

capncnut
11-Oct-2009, 01:27 AM
Plus the creation of the Master played by Roger Delgado was incredible.

Sad that so much of what he did wont be known to fans of the show.
Quite agree. A. Delgado IS The Master B. Letts IS the man.