PDA

View Full Version : Cosmos TV series

Neil
07-Oct-2009, 09:55 AM
I watched the first episode of this 1980s TV series (again) last night.

As a child I watched this series when it was original aired in the UK. It had a huge and profound effect on me.

Watching the first episode again reminded me why. Thirty years on, it still has the ability to make physics and astronomy both interesting and easily digestable. More importantly, it also seems to be a very moving TV series. It raises ones awareness of how amazing we and the universe are...

For anyone who has not seen this series, and has the slightest interesting in science, physics or astronomy, I'd strongly suggest they watch it. And in my opinion this serious should be compulsary viewing for every human being on the planet...

krakenslayer
07-Oct-2009, 10:14 AM
I watched the first episode of this 1980s TV series (again) last night.

As a child I watched this series when it was original aired in the UK. It had a huge and profound effect on me.

Watching the first episode again reminded me why. Thirty years on, it still has the ability to make physics and astronomy both interesting and easily digestable. More importantly, it also seems to be a very moving TV series. It raises ones awareness of how amazing we and the universe are...

For anyone who has not seen this series, and has the slightest interesting in science, physics or astronomy, I'd strongly suggest they watch it. And in my opinion this serious should be compulsary viewing for every human being on the planet...

Thanks so much Neil. I'd never heard of Cosmos, but now I will give it a look. I've been fascinated by all that stuff since I was a toddler and my mum read me a children's educational book about space. I'm such a geek but I'm really looking forward to this show now. Has it been on telly recently? Can I find it on BBC iPlayer or 4OD or somewhere? Or is it out on DVD?

Neil
07-Oct-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks so much Neil. I'd never heard of Cosmos, but now I will give it a look. I've been fascinated by all that stuff since I was a toddler and my mum read me a children's educational book about space. I'm such a geek but I'm really looking forward to this show now. Has it been on telly recently? Can I find it on BBC iPlayer or 4OD or somewhere? Or is it out on DVD?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G9NA7ET0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The 13 episodes are on DVD (in a box set)... It's quite simply the best scientific documentary series ever made IMHO. Very interesting, and very very humbling and emotive :)

Yes some of it is slightly dated - 30yr old science, style and effects - for the majority of it is timeless and excellent.

You can get it from amazon for about £18 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cosmos-DVD/dp/B0027UY8CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1254911348&sr=8-1

Here's a review - http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2009/aug/12/carl-sagan-cosmos-personal-voyage

capncnut
07-Oct-2009, 04:32 PM
The 13 episodes are on DVD (in a box set)... It's quite simply the best scientific documentary series ever made IMHO. Very interesting, and very very humbling and emotive :)
Yup, I've had the R1 for quite some time and I love it. And, like you, I was even more nutso about it as a kid.

Still got the hardcover book and the soundtrack album on vinyl.