PDA

View Full Version : Why are zombies afraid of fire?

JDFP
08-Oct-2009, 06:23 PM
In Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend" the vampiric-creatures (the "infected folks") are poisoned by sunlight, if I remember correctly. They are terrified by fire and the sun -- as most traditional vampires are as well.

In Romero's "NOTLD" Ben also discovers that the zombies are terrified by fire. This is a great ode to Matheson as well as traditional vampire mythology by Romero, but I'm not certain how well this sets with the rest of zombie mythology as created by Romero. Any time he lights something up and comes near them they back-off with angered "argghhhsss!!!". What I wonder is: Why? Why are they afraid of fire?

As Doc Logan discusses in "DOTLD" there isn't much left of the brain, motorized instinct only. They still have crude usage of items from before as well as some basic minor abilities. Does the fear of fire come from within some fundamental center of the brain that is still left operating within the creature?

In "LAND" the creatures are fascinated (though not terrified) by fire-works. Why is it that they would be terrified by fire but fascinated by fire-works? Is it the intensity of the light that causes the fear for them?

Anyway, just some food for thought...

j.p.

dracenstein
08-Oct-2009, 06:52 PM
Zombies are 'motivated' by instinct, an unknown instinct drives them to eat human flesh.

A fear of fire is a deep-set instinct in all animals (including us, although our 'intelligence' can over-ride our instincts), and is still intact in zombies.

BillyRay
08-Oct-2009, 07:45 PM
...plus they're so flammable.

"beat 'em or burn 'em, they go up pretty easy."

Trin
08-Oct-2009, 08:47 PM
In Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend" the vampiric-creatures (the "infected folks") are poisoned by sunlight, if I remember correctly. They are terrified by fire and the sun -- as most traditional vampires are as well.
I'm not sure if it makes sense to consider Matheson's vampires in the discussion. They were also subject to other vampire weaknesses, like fear of the cross and garlic. Neville reflected on this throughout the book, speculating that the infected people induced the weaknesses in themselves through their belief in vampire mythology. And many of Matheson's creatures were intelligent, thinking and speaking, as well, which doesn't lend itself to being subject to base instinct as driving their behavior.

My opinion is that it's a remembered behavior. I don't believe that fear of fire is instinctive. I believe it's learned.

Likewise, love of fireworks. I think it reminded them of fascination experienced in their former lives and they felt a rekindling of that when they saw them.

sandrock74
08-Oct-2009, 09:49 PM
I always figured that zombies were just instinctually afraid of fire. They most likely don't understand it, but they recognize it as something harmful to them. Simple, yet effective explanation.

The attraction to fireworks is completely different. Fireworks are way up in the air, not right in their faces. Even crazy ass forest fires can look nice at night, from a far (safe) distance. The fireworks were merely a curiousity, nothing registered as harmful.

MoonSylver
08-Oct-2009, 10:23 PM
As Doc Logan discusses in "DOTLD" there isn't much left of the brain, motorized instinct only. They still have crude usage of items from before as well as some basic minor abilities. Does the fear of fire come from within some fundamental center of the brain that is still left operating within the creature?

This. As a "in story" explanation, this has always been my reasoning as to why.

NOW...I always kinda figured there was a PRACTICAL, REAL WORLD explanation as well, when writing the script. They needed SOME way for the heroes to be able to "fend off" the zed's, especially when making the run for the gas. And needed some way to keep them from storming the house en mass until the final act. So fire worked pretty well to serve those needs in the story as well.;)

DubiousComforts
08-Oct-2009, 11:27 PM
NOW...I always kinda figured there was a PRACTICAL, REAL WORLD explanation as well, when writing the script. They needed SOME way for the heroes to be able to "fend off" the zed's, especially when making the run for the gas. And needed some way to keep them from storming the house en mass until the final act.
This is most easily summed up by Bill Hinzman: "Whatever George needed the zombie to do, the zombie did. And whether or not he was setting a precedent, he didn't care."

MoonSylver
09-Oct-2009, 12:22 AM
This is most easily summed up by Bill Hinzman: "Whatever George needed the zombie to do, the zombie did. And whether or not he was setting a precedent, he didn't care."

:D

Exactly.:)

hadrian0117
20-Oct-2009, 05:36 PM
Max Brook's zombies in the Surivival Guide and WWZ not only don't fear fire they don't even seem to acknowlege it. They'll walk directly into a fire and keep moving around (setting everything they touch on fire) until they're too damaged to move. I like that idea and I hope it (among other things) shows up in the WWZ movie.

Mike70
20-Oct-2009, 05:44 PM
I always figured that zombies were just instinctually afraid of fire. They most likely don't understand it, but they recognize it as something harmful to them. Simple, yet effective explanation.

indeed and agreed. simple explanations are almost always the best.

i think that anything that walks under the sun or moon is going to be afraid of fire, be they living or undead. fire is one of the those things that any creature able to perceive the world is going to fear. vampires, werewolves, zombies, bugganes, etc. they all burn.