PDA

View Full Version : Recording audio...

MinionZombie
25-May-2006, 12:09 PM
Okay, so I've got these virtual keyboard thingies (Xpress B4, Pro-53 and FM7 ... no idea who made them, just chaffed them off my housemate a year ago). Anyway, they are on my computer but I don't have a way of recording what I play on them - is there a bit of software I can put on my computer which will record the audio produced from those virtual keyboards?

I've got Cool Edit Pro 2, but I've tried (and failed ... cos I've got no idea what I'm doing) to get that recording the audio. "Total Recorder" was something I used to use, but for some reason it didn't like my desktop where those virtual keyboards are installed.

Last time I recorded any audio from the virtual keyboards was by putting my microphone near the speakers and turning up the volume, which isn't exactly idea!

Can anyone help?

bassman
25-May-2006, 12:40 PM
Try finding some recording programs on one of those "kazaa" type sites that you use. Look for "Cakewalk", "Propellerhead", "Steinberg Cubase", or "Sony ACID Pro".

We use "Cakewalk" for recording and I don't have any complaints. We also have it hooked up to a 24 track Tascam recording deck, so I'm not quite sure how it will work without it. I didn't set it all up....I just use it.:D

Maybe this can help...

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2006, 12:52 PM
Two Words

Adobe Audition

Ok, now in order to record what you are playing you have to make sure your sound properties are set correctly. The little speaker down by your clock? Click on it then choose options, then properties.

Then click recording. Make sure your Stereo Mix, or Wave out mix (Depends on your sound card) is checked (Put a check mark int he select button) Doing this will allows the program to record the sound as you hear right from the sound card. And the quality is as good as the setting for your card. (Mine is 48hz Digital)

This will allow you to record audio from software programs at a high bitrate. When you get Adobe Audition (Formerly Cool Edit) You just have to open it, choose the Multitrack tab and arm one track to record.

axlish
25-May-2006, 02:20 PM
I use MusicMatch Jukebox. It came with in a software bundle with a PC I bought back in 2000. It handles all of my capturing needs.

BUTCHYPIE
25-May-2006, 10:31 PM
I believe that TotalRecorder can muck up if something tries to overwrite the drivers it looks to for recording. I haven't used it in a couple of years, but AcidMusic knocked Total Recorder when I installed it, and the Forums said lots of programs would do the same. Checkout the help section of the official site for more info how to fix this. Unfortunately, I haven't been in Windows for a while, and I've forgotten lot's of steps.

TotalRecorder was good shareware. I used to use it to record Coast to Coast A.M. in the middle of the night, before Podcasting.

Good luck.

MinionZombie
25-May-2006, 10:34 PM
An update folks - I can record in Cool Edit, Dj's tip off about those audio options and checked "wave" worked. Also pressing the red "R" button in Multitrack view helps, so I've started laying down some initial atmos music for my next short film, it's sounding like it should, it was quite muddy beforehand, but now it's nice and clean and crisp, noiiice!