PDA

View Full Version : Most squeamish moment in a Romero Flick?

octo7
11-Oct-2009, 01:18 PM
for me it was was in Land. when you see two zombies tearing someones arm in two by grabbing two fingers each on their hand and pulling :eek:. its only a shadow but still..

krakenslayer
11-Oct-2009, 01:26 PM
for me it was was in Land. when you see two zombies tearing someones arm in two by grabbing two fingers each on their hand and pulling :eek:. its only a shadow but still..

Yeah, that's a gross one, but I didn't find it so bad since the guy is already dead.

Personally, I think its the scene where Rickle's head is pulled off. His scream rises in pitch as the vocal cords stretch and snap, and his jaw keeps opening and closing in a silent scream for a few seconds after his head is removed.

Or the shot in the extended version of Land of the Dead where a zombie peels a soldiers face upwards from the lip, exposing his skull as he continues to struggle and yell.

EvilNed
11-Oct-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah, the hand being torn apart was pretty visual for me. Perhaps even more so since it's just a silhouette which leaves some to the imagination. Otherwise I agree with Rickle's demise.

Suicycho
11-Oct-2009, 02:36 PM
Rickles fingers being bitten off or his eyelid peeled back and his eyeball squished in Day.

capncnut
11-Oct-2009, 02:53 PM
Another bit in Land I thought was gross was when the zomb shoved it's arm down a corpse's throat, trying to pull out some guts (or tonsils) to eat.

thxleo
11-Oct-2009, 04:13 PM
Personally, I think its the scene where Rickle's head is pulled off. His scream rises in pitch as the vocal cords stretch and snap, and his jaw keeps opening and closing in a silent scream for a few seconds after his head is removed.

[/spoiler]

That was Torrez, not Rickles.

sandrock74
11-Oct-2009, 04:19 PM
Another bit in Land I thought was gross was when the zomb shoved it's arm down a corpse's throat, trying to pull out some guts (or tonsils) to eat.

That's it for me! When I saw that at the show, my bile started to rise.

ick

octo7
11-Oct-2009, 05:08 PM
yeah the pitch of the scream was messed up too. the bites in dawn were pretty harsh when that guy is chewing on his wifes neck and arm in the project building.

MinionZombie
11-Oct-2009, 05:17 PM
How about when that one zombie in Land runs their fingers down the side of Dead Reckoning, and their fingernails all bust off?

That always wigs me out.

octo7
11-Oct-2009, 05:18 PM
:( shit yeah, the scratching noises and then it popping off. eww

blind2d
12-Oct-2009, 02:29 AM
Vocal chords (day), throat(land), and biker feast in Dawn.

Danny
13-Oct-2009, 03:18 AM
wierdly non of it ever bugs me, though to be honest only two horror films ever have.

In takeshi mike(-no surprise if ya know him)'s imprint a woman is tied up and bound from one wrist and ankle and pins are pushed under her nails and into her gums above her teeth, thats the ONLY time ive ever had to look away from the screen and thinking about it bugs me.

The second is more personal, but i was first shown the shining when i was 8, and those fucking little girls going "Play with us Danny..." still sends a bloody chill down my spine.:lol:

strayrider
13-Oct-2009, 07:24 AM
When Peter, in the elevator, places his hand on the dying Roger's shoulder: "L-look here, man."

:D

-stray-

MinionZombie
13-Oct-2009, 10:09 AM
In takeshi mike(-no surprise if ya know him)'s imprint a woman is tied up and bound from one wrist and ankle and pins are pushed under her nails and into her gums above her teeth, thats the ONLY time ive ever had to look away from the screen and thinking about it bugs me.

Ditto on that.

Ghost Of War
13-Oct-2009, 10:26 AM
The arm/shoulder bite in the apartment block in Dawn always gets me, because it was the first Zombie bite I'd seen, and I was about 8-9 years old. I remember begging my Dad to let me hire it out when we got our first VCR (Betamax!), because I liked the still on the back cover of Roger just after he turned. I was not expecting the guy to bite a chunk out of his wife's arm and shoulder. My Dad was going "Well, I did warn you, son".

3pidemiC
13-Oct-2009, 03:09 PM
When I was younger both Torrez and Rickles death scenes really disturbed me.

bassman
13-Oct-2009, 03:15 PM
Either of the open bodies that lean up and spill out the guts in Day.

octo7
13-Oct-2009, 05:50 PM
Ditto on that.

Yeah Imprint is a highly disturbing movie, i have seen a lot worse though, even by miike. In broad movie terms i would say 'Men Behind the Sun' is the most disturbing film i have ever seen. the first three guinea pig films messed me up too.

Philly_SWAT
13-Oct-2009, 09:02 PM

Not sure that blood and gore really make me "squeamish". The thing that made me the most squeamish was in the Crazies when Richard Liberty (yes, the guy who plays Logan in Day) rapes his own daughter, because he is "crazy".

krakenslayer
13-Oct-2009, 10:07 PM
Not sure that blood and gore really make me "squeamish". The thing that made me the most squeamish was in the Crazies when Richard Liberty (yes, the guy who plays Logan in Day) rapes his own daughter, because he is "crazy".

Yeah, that was pretty disturbing. It was supposed to freak you out and it did exectly what it said in the tin. Probably the sickest scene in any Romero film, for that matter.

octo7
13-Oct-2009, 10:13 PM
I have never seen the crazies, for some reason i have never sought it out.

bassman
14-Oct-2009, 01:30 AM
I have never seen the crazies, for some reason i have never sought it out.

It usually plays around Halloween, so keep an eye out. That's how I first saw it a few years back. I think it was either AMC or TCM that played it during their halloween marathons.

SRP76
15-Oct-2009, 04:44 AM
The arm/shoulder bite in the apartment block in Dawn always gets me, because it was the first Zombie bite I'd seen, and I was about 8-9 years old. I remember begging my Dad to let me hire it out when we got our first VCR (Betamax!), because I liked the still on the back cover of Roger just after he turned. I was not expecting the guy to bite a chunk out of his wife's arm and shoulder. My Dad was going "Well, I did warn you, son".

That one. The way the flesh twists so realistically when the forearm bite is taken. All the other "great" effects in the other movies look totally fake, but that one looks like the real deal. Just got lucky when they shot that one, I guess.

MoonSylver
15-Oct-2009, 05:00 AM
That one. The way the flesh twists so realistically when the forearm bite is taken. All the other "great" effects in the other movies look totally fake, but that one looks like the real deal. Just got lucky when they shot that one, I guess.

IIRC I heard somewhere that the zombie actor actually nipped the actress a bit when doing the forearm bite by mistake, so all of the screams & reaction aren't 100% acting...:eek:

darth los
16-Oct-2009, 02:32 AM
Wolloy decaping the tenant in the projects.

It's not so much that it made me squeamish but it served notice that i was about to see some wild shit if that's how the movie was going to kick off.

:cool:

jscott
17-Oct-2009, 12:11 AM
Not sure that blood and gore really make me "squeamish".

Agreed. When the Bill Hinzman zombie first grabs Barbara and that loud music sting hits and reverberates as Barb screams would make me hit the stop button on the VCR (and I'd already seen Dawn by that time). I didn't make it past that scene until we had the tape for 4 years (the first VHS tapes my Dad bought when we got our first VCR in the Xmas of 83 was Night and Dawn). Still completely effective after repeated viewings.