PDA

View Full Version : Robert Rodriguez rebooting Predator?

Trancelikestate
12-Oct-2009, 08:53 AM
is this cool? i cant tell.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/04/24/robert-rodriguez-to-reboot-predator-franchise-as-predators/

bassman
12-Oct-2009, 11:51 AM
That article is actually pretty old. They've already began casting(Danny Trejo, Adrian Brody) and photography is set to begin within the next few weeks.:)

SymphonicX
12-Oct-2009, 11:54 AM
hmmm....I hate this "reboot" shite...its just a way of saying "cop out" or "money making excersise"...

These things don't need "rebooting" - wtf...its just an excuse to get around making the same film over and over and over.

I know what happens at the end of Predator...who wants to see someone deliver the line "you're one ugly m*therf*cker" with less impact than it had in the mid eighties? Not me.

this is probably the best film so far to get a reboot though - I mean. who really cares about the 10 versions of 2 fast, 2 furious?

bassman
12-Oct-2009, 12:00 PM
hmmm....I hate this "reboot" shite...its just a way of saying "cop out" or "money making excersise"...

These things don't need "rebooting" - wtf...its just an excuse to get around making the same film over and over and over.

Technically....this isn't a reboot. Rodrgiuez wrote this script in the early 90's when he was hired by the studio to do so. After Predator 2 didn't perform well they canned it. So now that the AVP movies were let downs and Ridley Scott is working on another Alien, the studio went back to Rodriguez and asked if he wanted to make it.

So it's really a sequel....

Call me immature, but it cracks me up that the directors name is Nimrod. :p

SymphonicX
12-Oct-2009, 12:40 PM
well if it's a totally different film and therefore a follow on from the original, as you said it qualifies as a sequel...which I'd be slightly more welcoming of.

And yeh, AVP was a total wankbutcher

MinionZombie
12-Oct-2009, 01:27 PM
well if it's a totally different film and therefore a follow on from the original, as you said it qualifies as a sequel...which I'd be slightly more welcoming of.

And yeh, AVP was a total wankbutcher
Yarp.

I'd much rather have a sequel than a remake.

AcesandEights
12-Oct-2009, 01:38 PM
Technically....this isn't a reboot. Rodrgiuez wrote this script in the early 90's when he was hired by the studio to do so. After Predator 2 didn't perform well they canned it. So now that the AVP movies were let downs and Ridley Scott is working on another Alien, the studio went back to Rodriguez and asked if he wanted to make it.

So it's really a sequel....

That's something rather good to hear! The AvP films were pretty awful, so a return to form could certainly help. Let's see if it gets pulled off.

EvilNed
12-Oct-2009, 02:55 PM
I haven't seen AvP2, but just so you all know, an alien would OWN a predator.

bassman
12-Oct-2009, 02:57 PM
I haven't seen AvP2, but just so you all know, an alien would OWN a predator.

Shiiiiiiit. Maybe a whole swarm of Aliens, but one alien has got nothing on a Predator.

EvilNed
12-Oct-2009, 03:03 PM
Sure it does. Faster, cooler and doesn't need any fancy, stupid weapons. Just jump on him and BAM, he's dead.

bassman
12-Oct-2009, 03:08 PM
Sure it does. Faster, cooler and doesn't need any fancy, stupid weapons. Just jump on him and BAM, he's dead.

He wouldn't be able to see him! Nevermind jump on him. If somehow the alien even gets close to the predator, he just pins him with a spear, cuts him with a disc, shoots him with the shoulder cannon, or takes him down with his strength. All the alien has is a tail and a tongue that reaches about 6 inches.

Look....I prefer the Alien series over the Predator series, but you just can't claim that one alien could take down a predator. A whole crowd of them, yes...but just one? Give me a break, ned.:p

EvilNed
12-Oct-2009, 03:18 PM
Aliens don't see at all. They have no eyes! So the predators cloaking device would save him from absolutely dick. Har-har! The aliens both stronger, faster and has longer reach. So there you go, Aliens rule.

capncnut
12-Oct-2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Aliens are definitely harder. 8 foot tall, acid for blood, extra set of jaws, all sensing beast vs a Lennox Lewis lookalike with a spear. :rolleyes:

bassman
12-Oct-2009, 03:28 PM
You guys are insane. Letting your love for the alien series cloud your judgement.:p

And how do we know that aliens can't see? Just because eyes aren't visible to us doesn't mean they can't see. We don't know what's under that dome. In fact....the original HR Giger alien had eyes and even the alien in the film had eye sockets underneath the dome.

EvilNed
12-Oct-2009, 03:34 PM
So far we've got: Taller, longer reach, super strength, super agility (which together adds up to super-jump!!!) and acid blood. There's simply no way the predator can win. Sorry!

bassman
12-Oct-2009, 03:38 PM
So far we've got: Taller, longer reach, super strength, super agility (which together adds up to super-jump!!!) and acid blood. There's simply no way the predator can win. Sorry!

The predator doesn't even have to get close to it, man! Predator wins.:lol:

SymphonicX
12-Oct-2009, 03:39 PM
Predator has concious thought, tactics and weaponry - the alien has brute strength and that's about it...sure its got acid for blood but a pred is smart enought to figure that out, sure the alien is superfast but the Pred isn't exactly a lumbering dinosaur...

It was always a good match in the original comics...Aliens have huge numbers, brute strength and no pain barrier, whilst the predator is a moral being, with rationality, a sense of self preservation and a will to hunt.

However the Alien is bred for killing - the predator hunts for trophies...psychologically that tells you something...

EvilNed
12-Oct-2009, 03:55 PM
The predator doesn't even have to get close to it, man! Predator wins.:lol:

Well, that won't matter, as it can't get close anyway. The alien is way too fast. :hyper: I love this nerdy discussion. Alien pwns predator, hands down!

AcesandEights
12-Oct-2009, 04:07 PM

For real...

You guys are insane. Letting your love for the alien series cloud your judgement.:p

krakenslayer
12-Oct-2009, 05:06 PM
The Alien, as an organism, is the perfect killing machine. The ultimate predator. Everything about it is hostile and deadly. A single one of the creatures displays frightening intelligence (though they tend to dumb down in the presence of a queen, and just throw themselves at the enemy). They move incredibly fast, do not use visible light to see, can sustain greater damage than a Predator, bleed acid that can eat through layers of metal, have claws that can tear steel. They also do no have body heat, so it's invisible under the Predator's default visual mode.

The Predator organism is a fleshy humanoid with a bad attitude. It surrounds itself with technology to defend itself. Its weapons give it a good fighting chance. However, the Alien creature is to organic life what antimatter is to matter. The Alien IS DEATH TO ALL LIFE. My money is on the Alien, TBH.

octo7
12-Oct-2009, 05:30 PM
fuck robert rodriguez for this.

krakenslayer
12-Oct-2009, 05:35 PM

I'm okay with it because:

a) It's basically the Predator 3 script that was written and planned to be shot immediately after Predator 2 but cancelled

b) It is only considered a "reboot" because it ignores the events of AvP and AvP:R, it does follow on from the events of the first two films

c) Dutch (Arnold's character in Predator) was, and still is, pencilled in for an appearance in the film, explicitly linking it to the original movie

bassman
12-Oct-2009, 05:39 PM
displays frightening intelligence

They do? I've only seen them do minor things like kill the power or use their own blood to escape something. Other than that they just run around looking for lunch.

They move incredibly fast

They do...but the predator also moves incredibly fast.

do not use visible light to see

As I stated before....I don't think this subject is ever covered in the four alien films or two AVP films. There's no proof that they don't see. In fact, there are several instances throughout the films that point to the fact that they could possibly have sight.

can sustain greater damage than a Predator

Bitch, please. The predator has minor armor and carries around a portable operating room on his belt.:p

bleed acid that can eat through layers of metal

This is one major advantage over the Predator, but as stated before, he would figure this out very quickly and easily work around it.

have claws that can tear steel

You could very well be right about this, but I can't seem to remember any examples. I remember them running into doors, but never cutting them with claws.

They also do no have body heat, so it's invisible under the Predator's default visual mode.

The predator has many different visual settings. And his "normal" vision as well. But remind me when the films establish that the aliens have no body heat?

The Predator organism is a fleshy humanoid with a bad attitude.

Bad Attitude? He's a noble warrior that only kills for sport or self defense. If anything has the bad attitude, it's the pissed off alien that goes around killing for nothing.

Hating it before seeing one second of footage or story or anything? Damn. Tough crowd.

octo7
12-Oct-2009, 05:49 PM
Due to the death of originality and creativity in film I despise remakes which is what I assumed it was given the thread title but I am pleased to see its a sequel and even more pleased ot see its ignoring the AVP movies. I am also still pissed at rodriguez for putting sin city 2 on hiatus so he could do a remake of barbarella.. i mean wtf? barbarella was terrible so i can only imagine how lame a remake will be, i have similar feelings about red sonya.

only thing worse than remaking a bad movie is remaking a good movie and predator is one of my all time favorites.

capncnut
12-Oct-2009, 06:07 PM
Bassman vs the world. Not a new concept, LOL.

;) J/K

EvilNed
12-Oct-2009, 06:14 PM
The Alien IS DEATH TO ALL LIFE.

Hear, hear!!

capncnut
12-Oct-2009, 06:17 PM
Let's face it, the Alien shits on the Predator. Don't take a major nerdy scientific discussion to realise this. Everyone (well one person) talks about Aliens not being as strong as the Predator but what about the facehugger. Loads of the little bastards running about. What's a shitty spear gonna do against 100 of those, eh?

AcesandEights
12-Oct-2009, 06:29 PM
Let's face it, the Alien shits on the Predator. Don't take a major nerdy scientific discussion to realise this. Everyone (well one person) talks about Aliens not being as strong as the Predator but what about the facehugger. Billions of the little bastards running about. What's a shitty spear gonna do against that, eh?

Wait, wait...everyone is taking this from different angles. The above makes it sound like a species vs. species debate, when it seemed to start out as a debate about who would win a one on one fight. I mean shit, no one has even qualified if we're talking about a drone, a queen or a freaky-ass fast alien from Alien 3 (I've heard it mentioned as a new take on the alien drone, but not sure if it really is supposed to be a different breed or not).

octo7
12-Oct-2009, 06:32 PM
In terms of the quality of the films my opinon is Alien, Predator, Aliens, Alien 3 and Predator2 in that order. i won't mention the other sequels..

In terms of a fight the only fair way to decide would be to strip a predator of its armor and weapons and put it in a caged ring with an alien.

capncnut
12-Oct-2009, 06:35 PM
We actually have a poll up here somewhere. Maybe someone should find the fucker and resurrect it. ;)

EvilNed
12-Oct-2009, 06:37 PM
Wait, wait...everyone is taking this from different angles. The above makes it sound like a species vs. species debate, when it seemed to start out as a debate about who would win a one on one fight. I mean shit, no one has even qualified if we're talking about a drone, a queen or a freaky-ass fast alien from Alien 3 (I've heard it mentioned as a new take on the alien drone, but not sure if it really is supposed to be a different breed or not).

Straight up, ordinary alien from the very first film. It'd smack the predator back to the stone age with his tale alone, then bend over and wipe his acid ass with that dudes dreads.

AcesandEights
12-Oct-2009, 06:41 PM
In terms of a fight the only fair way to decide would be to strip a predator of its armor and weapons and put it in a caged ring with an alien.

In this geek's opinion, that's not fair at all. If an Alien is a super-evolved killing machine, then the Predator should get to use all the tools and fruits of his species evolution and their intellect--including their technology.

bassman
12-Oct-2009, 06:44 PM
Let's face it, the Alien shits on the Predator. Don't take a major nerdy scientific discussion to realise this. Everyone (well one person) talks about Aliens not being as strong as the Predator but what about the facehugger. Loads of the little bastards running about. What's a shitty spear gonna do against 100 of those, eh?

The predator has a mask. :lol:

capncnut
12-Oct-2009, 06:45 PM
Straight up, ordinary alien from the very first film. It'd smack the predator back to the stone age with his tale alone, then bend over and wipe his acid ass with that dudes dreads.
I was kinda referring to species but yeah, the 'original' Alien from the Nostromo would still kick fuck out of any Predator.

http://divisionoflabour.com/archives/alien_from_the_movie.png
I mean this...

http://people.ee.duke.edu/~drsmith/cloaking/predator.jpg
...or YMCA boy over here?

:rolleyes:

krakenslayer
12-Oct-2009, 07:04 PM
They do? I've only seen them do minor things like kill the power or use their own blood to escape something. Other than that they just run around looking for lunch.

They don't exhibit civilised intelligence, but the original concept was that they possess an intelligence that - just like their biology - is so vastly different to our own that we cannot fully comprehend it. This concept was watered down somewhat in the sequels though, I'll grant you.

As I stated before....I don't think this subject is ever covered in the four alien films or two AVP films. There's no proof that they don't see. In fact, there are several instances throughout the films that point to the fact that they could possibly have sight.

They have no visible eyes. Part of what makes them frightening is their alien-ness - and part of that is the suggestion that they have sensory abilities that we don't know about. This is the thing, when the Alien is done well (i.e. NOT AVP :p ) it is a total enigma. It is the unknown. We don't know what it's capable of, and it will always pull something unexpected out of the bag.

Bitch, please. The predator has minor armor and carries around a portable operating room on his belt.:p

Again - it surrounds itself with technology to make itself a badass. If the Alien films have taught us anything, it's that "all the technology of the future couldn't protect them". The Alien is the very symbol of a ferocious force of nature in a hostile universe, overcoming every technological obstacle that rational intelligence can put in its way. The Alien itself needs no technology, it is "born" with everything it requires. It is the ultimate survivor, created or evolved perfectly to kill anything it encounters, anywhere, in any environment from planet Earth to the cold vacuum of space.... I'm nearly shitting myself just talking about it! :lol:

You could very well be right about this, but I can't seem to remember any examples. I remember them running into doors, but never cutting them with claws.

After they bashed the door inwards and it fails to give way, the tear a hole in
the middle of it with their claws. They also tear through the Marines' futuristic better-than-Kevlar battle armour, and in at least one case, one of those pheumatic jaw-phallus things punch through a soldier's helmet.

The predator has many different visual settings. And his "normal" vision as well. But remind me when the films establish that the aliens have no body heat?

Okay, I'm gonna look very geeky here. But according to James Cameron on the Aliens DVD, the geeks at http://www.alienexperience.com/forum/index.php/board,31.0.html and (I believe) the original script/character concept, the creature does not radiate heat higher than its surrounding environment.

Bad Attitude? He's a noble warrior that only kills for sport or self defense. If anything has the bad attitude, it's the pissed off alien that goes around killing for nothing.

The Alien is not pissed off. In fact, we have no evidence that these creatures exhibit anything that we might term emotion (apart from the agitation of the Queen on the destruction of her eggs). And it certainly does not kill for nothing - it kills because that is part of its life cycle. For the Alien, killing means reproduction. Killing is what it does, killing is what it exists to do. The Alien's life-cycle is "make love not war" turned on its head - it has no love... no hate, no fear, no sense of honour, no compassion - murder and rape are what it does to procreate.

As a little side note, I always imagined the Alien as something that had evolved not on a planet, but in space itself. The abandoned extraterrestrial craft in the first two films suggested this idea to me.

Imagine that for millions of years, there have been hundreds of thousands of now (mostly) long-extinct space-faring races traversing the universe. Out there, over vast distances and colossal spans of time, pests and diseases and vermin from countless worlds, hitching rides on billions of spacecraft, spread out across the intergalactic trade routes. Just like rats and mites and weevils on Earth's olden-time sailing ships, these vermin adapted to their new environments, each species competing with others for specific ecological niches, adapting to survive all attempts to exterminate them (like modern day super-bacteria), adapting to kill all competitors, adapting to the environments of hostile worlds and the vacuum of space.... Wouldn't it be awesome if the aliens "homeworld" was not some rocky planetoid, but an infinity of derelict spacecraft of a billion extinct races, floating endlessly in the darkness of space. That would be fitting. :D

capncnut
12-Oct-2009, 07:20 PM
At the end of the day, the Predator is USELESS without weapons. Yeah, right, sure, okay, end of. Same power as a human, really.

EvilNed
12-Oct-2009, 07:23 PM
Kraken, I love you and your alien-geekiness. That was the coolest explanation for why the alien wins ever.

krakenslayer
12-Oct-2009, 07:28 PM
Kraken, I love you and your alien-geekiness. That was the coolest explanation for why the alien wins ever.

:thumbsup: Indeed, the Alien is the pants-shittingest movie monster ever. :D

bassman
12-Oct-2009, 07:34 PM
Not bad. Good answers for the most part.

The marines took down hundreds of aliens with machine guns, and you're saying that a super advanced predator couldn't take down one? Fuck off with that nonsense...

But since I'm being ganged up on, I'm gonna slowly back out of the thread. But you're all insane for thinking one alien could take on a predator.:p

EvilNed
12-Oct-2009, 07:37 PM
Well, if I remember correctly (and this is probably the only thing I do remember from AvP) one alien took down two predators at the same time. :p

octo7
12-Oct-2009, 08:03 PM
yeah but avp does not count because it sucks :D

EvilNed
12-Oct-2009, 08:07 PM
True. Piece of shit film.

krakenslayer
12-Oct-2009, 08:32 PM
Not bad. Good answers for the most part.

The marines took down hundreds of aliens with machine guns, and you're saying that a super advanced predator couldn't take down one? Fuck off with that nonsense...

But since I'm being ganged up on, I'm gonna slowly back out of the thread. But you're all insane for thinking one alien could take on a predator.:p

No, no. I'm not saying that a single Predator couldn't take down one of the swarming multitude in Aliens. But if you look at the films, the behaviour and even the physiology of the Alien differs depending on the situation. In Aliens, when in combat, the marines did get their assess handed to them but yeah - they were able to kill many of the frenzied beasts. But not only were there about fifteen or twenty soldiers all packing pulse rifles, flamethrowers and smart guns, also it was almost like the aliens were going: "Protect the Queen! Kill the intruders!" and launching themselves mindlessly at the Marines. The behaviour of the single creature in the first film is very different to this. It remains completely hidden as it stalks its victims, only emerging at the last moment before the kill, by which time it's too late to take any countermeasures. Their tactics, therefore, differ depending on whether or not they are "solo" or "hive drone", so I think a single alien actually has a better-than-average chance of taking down a Predator.

Obviously a lot if it depends on the environment and whatnot - if this was taking place in a jungle or open terrain, then there's a good chance the Predator would spot the Alien from a mile off as soon as it made any kind of move towards attacking, and blast it with a plasma bolt before it got close. But in a derelict spacecraft, or an underground tunnel system, or any enclosed space, I reckon the Predator is toast.

bassman
12-Oct-2009, 08:41 PM
Fair points, kraken.

But think of THIS!

The predator gets wounded by the aliens. Tinkers with his arm computer thingy for a minute. Boom. All aliens gone. Predator wins.:lol:

Disclaimer: That wasn't a point to contribute to the arguement. Just thought it was funny.

capncnut
12-Oct-2009, 08:43 PM
The fact that disclaimer's are needed...

...but yeah, what if the Alien was armed with the same thing. :D

krakenslayer
12-Oct-2009, 08:45 PM
Fair points, kraken.

But think of THIS!

The predator gets wounded by the aliens. Tinkers with his arm computer thingy for a minute. Boom. All aliens gone. Predator wins.:lol:

Disclaimer: That wasn't a point to contribute to the arguement. Just thought it was funny.

That's a good point. It's kind of like the Predator's answer to the Alien's acid blood. Both of these creatures are just as dangerous dead as they were alive. :lol:

Trancelikestate
12-Oct-2009, 11:50 PM
as i recall i didnt start this thread to be a debate that involves aliens at all. :p and bassmans right, in the long run you guys are nuts if you think 1 alien has a chance against a predator. if you dont know that, read the comics.

but as far as the movie... (getting back to the topic)
it could be cool, or at least as halfway entertaining as terminator salvation with an arnold cameo. :p

avp sucked bad, avpr was better but not much.

slickwilly13
13-Oct-2009, 12:16 AM
I read a rumor a while back that The Rock was going to star in a Predator movie. His character was going to be the son of Dutch and the woman who escaped with him at the end of the movie.

AcesandEights
13-Oct-2009, 12:26 AM
I read a rumor a while back that The Rock was going to star in a Predator movie. His character was going to be the son of Dutch and the woman who escaped with him at the end of the movie.

Ick. You're right, I remember that rumor.

bassman
13-Oct-2009, 12:36 AM
The casting so far is confusing. Danny Trejo(awesome), Adrian Brody(okay), Topher Grace(Whaaa?).

Rodriguez seems like a guy that would know how to handle something like this, so let's just hope that his script is great and he'll be on the set a good bit to keep things straight.

krakenslayer
13-Oct-2009, 11:03 AM
as i recall i didnt start this thread to be a debate that involves aliens at all. :p and bassmans right, in the long run you guys are nuts if you think 1 alien has a chance against a predator. if you dont know that, read the comics.

Have a read back over my responses, though - I did qualify my opinion by saying that it depended on the environment, that the Predator had a major advantage when the environment was conducive to the use of his weapons (i.e. open terrain), and the alien was at an advantage in an enclosed space. Also, a major factor is whether this "single Alien" is one of the hive drones of Aliens or the solo hunter-type seen in Alien. One of the solo-type creatures stands a better chance against the Predator than ten of the hive dwellers (which are the type we usually see in the AvP movies and comics).

Man, I am SUCH a fucking GEEK!! :D

Also, the Predators always win in the comix because they usually the anti-heroes of the story. It's difficult to make an audience root for the Aliens.

bassman
13-Oct-2009, 12:21 PM
Getting the thread back on topic a bit.....I found some quotes from Robert Rodriguez. These are some pretty big words, so let's hope he can live up to them...

I can’t go too much into the story right now, because we’re still writing. But it still involves a very intense group of people stranded on a Predator planet discovering unspeakable horrors (that are not always from outside their group). So like the original movie, the title does have a double meaning. Aliens was a different take on the Alien idea, and an original movie in it’s own right, and that’s what we want to do with this.

When I was hired to write the original draft back in 1994, i was only brought on as a writer. I never thought I’d get to work on it in any other capacity. So a few months ago, when Alex Young at Fox contacted me about re-inventing the franchise using my original draft as a template for getting as far away as possible from the AVP movies, I jumped on it… Alex came down and saw Troublemaker Studios, and the facilities and crew that I’ve built up over the past 12 years, and he felt right away that this is where the movie should be made and that doing it down here would be the best way to protect it from the studio system. He was keen on making a very “non-studio” picture… As to how this movie will be viewed, one of the guys at Fox told me “No one is ever going to talk about AVP again after this film, I will stake my life on it.” And he’s a really nice guy, so I don’t want to see him dead. Now that lives are at stake, it’s no longer a job it’s a mission. Failure is not an option.

And here (http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-first-look-at-robert-rodriguez-s-predators-8112) is a video review of the script from Latino Review that gives out great info on what's in store. This one is a must see for anyone into the franchise.

krakenslayer
13-Oct-2009, 12:54 PM
Reluctantly dropping the Alien argument for a moment :D : I'm really looking forward to this.

My one one concern is that this cherry-picked team of Earth's most dangerous warriors, who'll be getting hunted on the Yautja homeworld, will be composed entirely of one-dimensional, larger-than-life, comic-book characters with whom it is impossible to relate (a la Mortal Kombat). The original movie toed that line VERRY carefully and managed to pull it off. Can this do the same?

bassman
13-Oct-2009, 01:12 PM
I don't think the first movie toed that line at all. They straight up stomped all over the line and ran miles beyond it. The soldiers in Predator are friggin cartoon characters.

krakenslayer
13-Oct-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't think the first movie toed that line at all. They straight up stomped all over the line and ran miles beyond it. The soldiers in Predator are friggin cartoon characters.

Sure, they were cartoonish, but each character at least had a couple of sides to their personality. They bantered and chatted together like real people, you could see their macho-bravado fronts struggling at times to control their fear and vulnerability, each character had a personality and a different relationship with each one of their comrades. A lot of films with "big" characters like Predator seem to have a hard time making each of them seem unique and sympathetic. Take Deep Rising, for example. Apart from the hero, the only distinguishing factor between all the "tough guys" was that each one was given a different accent and one of them had a scar - apart from that I can't remember anything about them. I certainly didn't care when one of them died. Predator wasn't like that though.

SymphonicX
13-Oct-2009, 02:03 PM
they were pretty far from real characters but they were LIKEABLE and that's all that matters to me personally...

EvilNed
13-Oct-2009, 02:12 PM
Reluctantly dropping the Alien argument for a moment :D : I'm really looking forward to this.

My one one concern is that this cherry-picked team of Earth's most dangerous warriors, who'll be getting hunted on the Yautja homeworld, will be composed entirely of one-dimensional, larger-than-life, comic-book characters with whom it is impossible to relate (a la Mortal Kombat). The original movie toed that line VERRY carefully and managed to pull it off. Can this do the same?

Hold on just one minute, you! Mortal Kombat is a cinematic masterpiece, don't you dare diss it.

bassman
13-Oct-2009, 02:28 PM
Take Deep Rising, for example. Apart from the hero, the only distinguishing factor between all the "tough guys" was that each one was given a different accent and one of them had a scar - apart from that I can't remember anything about them. I certainly didn't care when one of them died. Predator wasn't like that though.

You know what the problem is here? You were watching Deep Rising.:barf::p

krakenslayer
13-Oct-2009, 02:32 PM

Hey! Deep Rising is good!! It's like Evil Dead 2 on a cruise liner... with a sea monster... and lots of unnecessary and forgettable characters. :D

bassman
13-Oct-2009, 02:37 PM
Hey! Deep Rising is good!! It's like Evil Dead 2 on a cruise liner... with a sea monster... and lots of unnecessary and forgettable characters. :D

I'm not a big fan of Evil Dead(1 or 2), so that could be a problem. I love Army of Darkness, though.

Deep Rising was just like a Scifi tv movie to me. A few cool effects/deaths, but the story and everything else was horrible. It was a prelude to Sommer's present body of work...

krakenslayer
13-Oct-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm not a big fan of Evil Dead(1 or 2), so that could be a problem. I love Army of Darkness, though.

Deep Rising was just like a Scifi tv movie to me. A few cool effects/deaths, but the story and everything else was horrible. It was a prelude to Sommer's present body of work...

I know where you're coming from. I just had a really good time with it. It's one of those trashy movies that I just like for some reason. Everyone has a few of those, right? :D

octo7
13-Oct-2009, 06:45 PM
I know where you're coming from. I just had a really good time with it. It's one of those trashy movies that I just like for some reason. Everyone has a few of those, right? :D

Yeah mine would be most of Carpenters Movies from They Live onwards :D

krakenslayer
13-Oct-2009, 06:53 PM
Yeah mine would be most of Carpenters Movies from They Live onwards :D

LOL! They Live was awesome, though! It spoke to the conspiracy theorist in me. :shifty:

I've heard good things about In the Mouth of Madness too, but I've not seen it yet.

octo7
13-Oct-2009, 07:13 PM
Mouth of Madness is amazing, especially if you like Lovecraft, Sam Neil is brilliant in it too. I loved They Live too. I enjoyed all of his movies to be honest ,some a lot more than others.

ProfessorChaos
13-Oct-2009, 07:18 PM
it's amazing how off-the-rails this thread is....

..and yeah, in the mouth of madness is fucking great.

octo7
13-Oct-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah its such a great film and NEVER got a region 2 release on dvd. i had to download it from demonoid.

darth los
13-Oct-2009, 07:35 PM
The word reboot itself implies that a franchise has gone so horribly off track (ala Friday the 13th, Halloween) that there's no salvaging it and that the studio might as well start over. Idealy they take what worked from the series and implement it in the reboot version. It's supposed to be a leaner, meaner, bigger, badder version of what we all knew and loved.

Doesn't always work out that way though. :(

And for the record, like the thing, Predator is a virtually perfect film and does not need a remake. Many make excuses for reboots and remakes on the grounds that the effects from the original film are so dated it's like an eyesore. I do not subscribe to that theory and think the films were made in an era gone by and should be appreciatd for what they are.

The sad part is that they can't even get into what are wonderful plots and storylines because they are so bothered by what they percieve are inferior effects.

:cool:

clanglee
13-Oct-2009, 09:22 PM
The casting so far is confusing. Adrian Brody(okay), Topher Grace(Whaaa?).

Huh? Are they gonna kill the predators with underfed snarkiness? With a dash of brooding?

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Oi!!!! You lay off Deep Rising!!! I love that movie!!

AcesandEights
14-Oct-2009, 01:48 AM
Oi!!!! You lay off Deep Rising!!! I love that movie!!

I have a weakness for Deep Rising...it's Cthulhuness and cheese make it a fun distraction once in a while. And, seriously...Famke Jansen:D

bassman
30-Nov-2009, 04:41 PM
Comingsoon has a small but decent little interview with director Nimrod Antal.

When asked about the casting of Adrian Brody in the lead role:

"Again, it was a challenge in finding a balance. I think when we cast Adrian, there were a lot of people going, 'What?' but at the same time, if we cast a Vin Diesel in that role or if we cast anyone who is Arnold-esque, we would have been attacked for doing that. So we decided early on to go in a very different direction as far as the casting process, but it turned out fantastic. He plays a mercenary in the film and if you look at the guys in Iraq and Afghanistan today, they're not 'yolked-out' Schwarzenegger-looking guys. They're all very wiry and thin guys, and I think it's going to play well."

When asked about a possible cameo from Arnold he beats around the bush a bit(AKA : We're trying/ It's going to happen):

"Time will tell. We'll see, but we are trying to stay with the original as far as the monster and the atmosphere and the tone of the film, but we are trying to do something new and contemporary and feels fresh."

And he also says that the film will be rated R and a few things about how much Rodriguez is involved. Link (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61200).

ProfessorChaos
01-Dec-2009, 12:48 AM
glad to hear they're not watering it down just so they can get a pg-13 rating. looking forward to seeing a trailer for this.

bassman
17-Jan-2010, 08:59 PM
Photos (http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fhe06buvcr8jc5h3edjl5ttom3&topic=27957.0)

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/oredz-3.jpg

Nice to see a predator back in a jungle environment. Adrian Brody doesn't look as out of place as I had imagined, either.

bassman
13-Mar-2010, 04:40 AM
Oh yeah (http://www.predators-movie.com/)

It can go 50/50, but i'm excited to see it.

Trailer in a few days...

Legion2213
13-Mar-2010, 09:35 PM

Sort of like tigers V's humans...which species is going extinct again?

I agree that the alien is Hell cool and rocks like a mofo, but old Predator has guns and technology. :)

EvilNed
13-Mar-2010, 10:12 PM
But the tiger doesn't have acid for blood and it doesn't reproduce via it's victims stomachs!

bassman
14-Mar-2010, 01:05 AM
Oh come on! Almost 24 hours since the footage was posted on this site and there is nothing to say? There's Predators footage in there, people! I'm looking to discuss this shite!:p

EvilNed
14-Mar-2010, 10:47 AM
I will not watch it for fear of catching a glimpse of Michelle Rodriguez.

Danny
14-Mar-2010, 11:13 AM

True, i wouldnt want to turn to stone.

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh come on! Almost 24 hours since the footage was posted on this site and there is nothing to say? There's Predators footage in there, people! I'm looking to discuss this shite!:p
Watched it yesterday, then had to run off and watch Survival of the Dead and Zombieland. :D

Anyway, as has been previously mentioned, this could really go either way, and I can't tell which way it'll go from those clips, but it was good to finally get a glimpse of something from it ... I did like the bit where Brody had all those target dots appearing all over him, that was cool. Aside from that ... no opinion thus far.

bassman
14-Mar-2010, 04:49 PM

:rockbrow:

Rodriguez isn't in this film....

Anyway, I'm liking the look of the flick. And the predator dogs looked a lot cooler than I imagined. Laurence Fishbourne - awesome. Brody actually looks like quite the badass.

EvilNed
14-Mar-2010, 06:33 PM
Oh. I read that somewhere. My mistake.

ProfessorChaos
14-Mar-2010, 08:50 PM
this looks pretty sweet, imo. i love the first predator film, and that footage, to me, hints at the best sequel to date for the franchise. definitely checking this out in theaters.

Tricky
14-Mar-2010, 09:09 PM

:lol:
Is it wrong that I find her quite attractive sometimes?

MinionZombie
15-Mar-2010, 10:54 AM
Is it wrong that I find her quite attractive sometimes?
Not at all ... I think she can be pretty darn fit too. Gotta love that white vest thing she had on in Avatar. :D

AcesandEights
15-Mar-2010, 02:30 PM
It looks like it could be okay...perhaps even good. I like the casting choices, from what I've seen, but am nervous about them adding new predator-stuff. I'd rather see a commitment to a good story, dialog, direction and casting and just leave the 'super-cool new' breed of predators and their domesticated pred-doggies out of the picture.

That's not to say the movie might not kickass, but the film was directed by a dude named Nimrod :confused:

bassman
15-Mar-2010, 03:02 PM
That's not to say the movie might not kickass, but the film was directed by a dude named Nimrod :confused:

But written and produced by the dude that made the Mariachi trilogy, Grindhouse, and Sin City. I think our odds are looking pretty good. Can't wait to see the whole trailer in a few days....

EvilNed
15-Mar-2010, 03:25 PM
But written and produced by the dude that made the Mariachi trilogy, Grindhouse, and Sin City. I think our odds are looking pretty good. Can't wait to see the whole trailer in a few days....

Don't forget Spy Kids 1, 2 and 3!

bassman
15-Mar-2010, 04:00 PM
Only seen the first one, but it's a good little kids flick....

darth los
15-Mar-2010, 04:17 PM
Not at all ... I think she can be pretty darn fit too. Gotta love that white vest thing she had on in Avatar. :D

Imo, i need to see out an about with a dude first. She might not even like sausages, just donuts. :elol:

bassman
15-Mar-2010, 04:20 PM
Imo, i need to see out an about with a dude first. She might not even like sausages, just donuts. :elol:

You're right. I remember seeing something about her dating the female Terminator from T3....

darth los
15-Mar-2010, 04:36 PM
You're right. I remember seeing something about her dating the female Terminator from T3....

I've heard the rumors as well. Where there's smoke...

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's 2010 for christ's sake. It's a shame that people still have to hide their sexual orientation for fear of retaliation or their career going down the drain.

People will love you regardless but you have to own it. Just look at Ellen. Doesn't seem to be affecting her much at all.

mista_mo
15-Mar-2010, 05:43 PM
I've always found it funny how predators seem to enjoy hunting humans for some reason, even though all the films seem to paint us in a very poor light compared to the predator. I mean hell, they only rip apart dozens of people like nothing, and have no problem dismembering fully conditioned adult men.

Maybe they just use us as a warm up for the actual hunt, and consider hunting people as vacation of sorts.

bassman
15-Mar-2010, 05:53 PM
Well....according to the script that was leaked online, the predators have kidnapped and dropped these people on their planet in order to study them as well as hunt them. After Dutch killed the predator in the original film(predators takes place after the first film - Ignoring Predator 2 and the AVP flicks) the others are now curious as to what makes these fragile humans have the will to fight and in Dutch's case, win.

darth los
15-Mar-2010, 06:01 PM
Well....according to the script that was leaked online, the predators have kidnapped and dropped these people on their planet in order to study them as well as hunt them. After Dutch killed the predator in the original film(predators takes place after the first film - Ignoring Predator 2 and the AVP flicks) the others are now curious as to what makes these fragile humans have the will to fight and in Dutch's case, win.

Isn't it interesting how all these recent reboots are disowning several installments at a time of their respective franchises.

That's sort of a slap in the face to anyone who has spent money on those films as kinda saying "these movies were crap. Thnx for the money though."

mista_mo
15-Mar-2010, 06:06 PM
well predator 1 and 2 were good films, aliens vs predator not so much, and the majority of the comics are shit as well. Dude, Batman vs Predator? Superman vs Predator? Let us not forget the predator vs terminators either.

I am looking foreword to this film, and I hope that it breaks away from the incredible amount of trite and downright shit that has more or less been the majority of the "vs" media.

I would like to see an alien vs predator film that was good though..that is pretty much the only vs pairing I can stand, and it could be downright amazing if handled correctly.

AcesandEights
15-Mar-2010, 06:12 PM
Best thing about this thread?

I have that awesome score from the first Predator film stuck in my head.

And I don't mind it one bit!

mista_mo
15-Mar-2010, 06:21 PM
predator really is a manly movie. Think I may go watch it while I do some one armed hand stand push ups, drink beer, and flex and grunt in front of a mirror.

Tricky
15-Mar-2010, 06:21 PM
Best this about this thread?

I have that awesome score from the first Predator film stuck in my head.

And I don't mind it one bit!

RrhAOtoA8oA

:D sometimes have that music in my head when I go paintballing, while heavily supressing the urge to shout "Ruuuuuuuuuun, get to da choppaaaaaaaa!!!!!!"

MinionZombie
15-Mar-2010, 06:59 PM

That sounds like a pretty cool idea for the plot, wasn't aware of it until now, so ta for the synopsis. :)

Isn't it interesting how all these recent reboots are disowning several installments at a time of their respective franchises.

That's sort of a slap in the face to anyone who has spent money on those films as kinda saying "these movies were crap. Thnx for the money though."

Well, AvP 1 & 2 were both really pish. Predator 2 is a good movie, I think, and I'm quite fond of it ... the first kicks its ass, no doubt, but Predator 2 is a kick ass action flick. Considering the plot of this movie though, it makes sense that Predator 2 is ignored, as upon discovering a new species to hunt, they'd want to understand their prey ASAP.

RrhAOtoA8oA

:D sometimes have that music in my head when I go paintballing, while heavily supressing the urge to shout "Ruuuuuuuuuun, get to da choppaaaaaaaa!!!!!!"

That's one of my all-time favourite movie quotes EVER. It's hilarious on internet memes, it's hilarious just saying it to yourself, and it's awesome in the movie.

Also, I know what you mean about paintballing and having movie music in your head ... I kept thinking of Adagio For Strings when I first went paintballing.

AcesandEights
15-Mar-2010, 07:11 PM
That sounds like a pretty cool idea for the plot, wasn't aware of it until now...

Do you think so? I was a little worried it'd be taking the film series too far. Modern day warriors whisked off to an intergalactic zoo to be hunted down by Preds and their CGI bio-engineered pooches? Sounds like something I've read about in a lot of comics and seen on some Saturday morning cartoons back in the day.

I'm not saying it won't work, but the premise really makes me think the writing, production and acting will have to be bang on for it to come off as enjoyable without going OTT.

Then again, this could be a nice change of pace. Predator was grounded in the grittiness of a real world jungle, but yet otherworldly in it's exotic setting and Predator 2 was good fun amongst a not too distant future, grounded, but surreal in it's own way. This could be a nice enough change of pace to rekindle the magic, if handled well.

Tricky
15-Mar-2010, 07:14 PM
Also, I know what you mean about paintballing and having movie music in your head ... I kept thinking of Adagio For Strings when I first went paintballing.

I had a game quote in my head when I went yesterday, I was up on a high vantage point with a great view of any of the opposite team trying to get up the flanks, and all I could think of was the game "company of heroes" when the german officr says "we'll view the battlefield with the eye of an eagle!", seemed funny to me at the time repeating it in my head!

Anyway as you were saying, Predator 2 is definitely a good film! I remember when it came out not many people really liked it that much (i was still too young to watch it at the time), but considering the absolute gash that poses for sequels to most franchises, Predator 2 is actually a decent film & definitely watchable!

darth los
15-Mar-2010, 07:29 PM
Well, AvP 1 & 2 were both really pish. Predator 2 is a good movie, I think, and I'm quite fond of it ... the first kicks its ass, no doubt, but Predator 2 is a kick ass action flick. Considering the plot of this movie though, it makes sense that Predator 2 is ignored, as upon discovering a new species to hunt, they'd want to understand their prey ASAP.

I have a couple of problems with that.

First off, in Predator 2 that could very well been what they might have been doing, studying humans in their Natural Habitat. I agree that the second was a good film as well, so I'm kinda bothered by the fact that they are writing it off. It's sorta like what they're doing with superman 2. Great film ( Kneel before Zod!! Fucking legendary mate !) yet they are choosing to disown it.

2nd, I have no proof but you would think that for an alien race as advanced as this it wouldn't be the first time they visited earth. In the 1st AVP at the ruins it suggested their arrival here predated modern history.

AcesandEights
15-Mar-2010, 08:34 PM
2nd, I have no proof but you would think that for an alien race as advanced as this it wouldn't be the first time they visited earth. In the 1st AVP at the ruins it suggested their arrival here predated modern history.

True, but it kind of looks like they may be Highlander2ing the AVP movies a bit, at least for the purpose of the Predators film.

MinionZombie
15-Mar-2010, 09:45 PM
Modern day warriors

Adrien Brody and Lawrence Fishburne ... warriors?

I thought the point here was that they're not warriors, or not all warriors anyway. In other words, not going up against a Schwarzenegger, but more 'normal' specimens of mankind as-it-were.

paulannett
15-Mar-2010, 10:16 PM

I thought the point here was that they're not warriors, or not all warriors anyway. In other words, not going up against a Schwarzenegger, but more 'normal' specimens of mankind as-it-were.

You be careful about what you say about Furious Styles!:mad:

bassman
15-Mar-2010, 10:29 PM

Actually....with the exception of Topher Grace's character, every character is a trained killer on earth. They may not be unrealisticly huge like Arnold, but they're all serious people that you wouldn't want to f*ck with...

bassman
19-Mar-2010, 12:53 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen....the Predators Teaser Trailer (http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/429477/predator-3/videos/predators_trl1_031810.html;jsessionid=3i1ge4kmvrvs 2?show=hi)

Love it! :thumbsup:

ProfessorChaos
19-Mar-2010, 01:51 AM
oh yeah, liking what i see.

believe it or not, i've got a friend from work who's in his mid-twenties and has never seen the original predator.:stunned:

needless to say, i'm having him and some other buds over and we're getting some beers and watching it this weekend.

but yeah, that new trailer looks pretty good. definitely seeing this one on the big screen.

clanglee
19-Mar-2010, 09:21 AM
Well now. . .that doesn't look half bad. Not bad at all. Hmmmmmm. . . .

Legion2213
19-Mar-2010, 10:37 AM
Okay, I'm up for a bit of that...I'll even forgive the token "strong female warrior type" who's been thrown in there for purely PC/marketing reasons.

That Yakuza guy looked pretty cool as well. :cool:

MinionZombie
19-Mar-2010, 10:43 AM
Didn't get any chills from the trailer, I have to say, which is unfortunate. Not a particularly good trailer in general, it didn't amp me up for it ... and is it me, or is the Predator homeworld look lazily like Earth? :sneaky::p

In this day and age of CGI all over the place, some of those shots look far too "just earth" to me, if that makes sense.

Legion2213
19-Mar-2010, 10:45 AM
Probably the Canadian wilderness...which oddly enough, looks EXACTLY like all the worlds that SG-1 have ever traveled to...:D

Edit: I think that the Pred home world is very diferent, the world they are on is a game reserve (apparently)

MikePizzoff
19-Mar-2010, 11:53 AM
Not too sure how I feel from that trailer, but it's obvious they're not trying to give too much away, so I'll definitely give it the benefit of the doubt. I'll be seeing this for sure.

bassman
19-Mar-2010, 11:57 AM
Edit: I think that the Pred home world is very diferent, the world they are on is a game reserve (apparently)

Yeah, this isn't supposed to be the predator home world. And seeing as how they are studying humans, I think it would make sense to drop them in an area similar to Earth's jungles. It wasn't the jungle that bothered me, but the rocky, dried out Planet of the Apes looking desert shot....

This teaser totally gave me chills. Starting off with the stars like the original, the voice overs, the original music, didn't give away the entire flick, etc. This left me wanting more. Just like a Teaser should do. And who could resist a flick with both Danny Trejo and Predators??

Antal and Rodriquez's bragging at SXSW is totally justified. They were saying that if they failed at everything else, at least they made a very good LOOKING film. And it does look incredbile...

AcesandEights
19-Mar-2010, 12:49 PM
Well, it's just a teaser, so I'm not dissapointed that it wasn't exactly a barn burner. It's definitely worth a look in the theatres and how long has it been since that can be said about a Predator film? In my opinion, a longass time.

Danny
19-Mar-2010, 01:02 PM
heard some lukewarm stuff from people at SXSW this year, think im giving this a miss.

-Also why is this called a rodriquez reebot?, i thought the director was nimrod atal right? is he just one of the producers on this?

bassman
19-Mar-2010, 01:10 PM
heard some lukewarm stuff from people at SXSW this year, think im giving this a miss.

You're going to base your opinion on the people at SXSW? All they were shown is the above teaser and some conceptual artwork. Most of which they said was old and not going to be used....

As for it being labeled as a Rodriguez film - Probably the same reasons District 9 had Peter Jackson all over the ads. Or Tarantino on Hostel. Or Tim Burton all over Nightmare Before Christmas. It's a producer/bigger name thing. It gets on my nerves too, but I guess it's a marketing thing.

Danny
19-Mar-2010, 01:45 PM
You're going to base your opinion on the people at SXSW? All they were shown is the above teaser and some conceptual artwork. Most of which they said was old and not going to be used....

Im going by the opinions of friends who are there who i know and trust there opinions, i wouldnt trust movie journalism at all nowadays, you hardly ever get anything spot on, id much rather get an opinion rom people i know than random people on the internet y'know?

bassman
22-Mar-2010, 01:04 AM
Trailer with alternate footage (http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/predators/trailer). If you went to see Repo Men, this is what you saw.

bassman
23-Jun-2010, 08:40 PM
International or "R" rated trailer. Blood, guts, spinal columns!:D

There are a few shots that could technically be considered spoilers, but I guess if they decided to put them in the trailer they aren't THAT spoiler-ish.

X92Cv3T9s7o&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Much better trailer than the US release, imo. This one gets me more excited than the last.

ProfessorChaos
23-Jun-2010, 09:07 PM
looking damn good. will definitely make a trip to the theater for this one...

i'll agree that that is a pretty bad-ass trailer, better than the other one i'd seen to this point. although that trailer was good already, this one is much more intense.

hopefully it won't be like terminator:salvation, which had some rather decent trailers (particularly the one with nine inch nails rocking out), but was not-as-good overall as the trailers made it look....which sadly is the case with many films and their trailers.

bassman
23-Jun-2010, 09:26 PM
Terminator Salvation was screwed from the beginning. One stupid-ass nickname ruined it from the start - McG. :lol:

BTW....remember how everyone was doubting Adrian Brody's ability to go up against the predator? Looks like he's channeling a bit of the guv-nah in this pic...

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/PredatorsSpoilery7.jpg

ProfessorChaos
23-Jun-2010, 09:34 PM
wonder if he's going to shout "GET TO THE CHOPPAAH!"

which reminds me of this, not sure if it's made it to these forums yet:

fp9DHzgr758

edit: if i recall, billy was already dead (did the whole "stand-off-on-the-downed tree" FAIL) by the time poncho drops his weapon. still pretty damn funny, though.

bassman
23-Jun-2010, 09:52 PM
:lol: I hadn't seen that HISHE until now. Pretty good. Reminds me of the woman teaming up with the predator in the first AVP flick. Not a good thing.

AcesandEights
24-Jun-2010, 03:31 AM
BTW....remember how everyone was doubting Adrian Brody's ability to go up against the predator? Looks like he's channeling a bit of the guv-nah in this pic...

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/PredatorsSpoilery7.jpg

Is that chest even real?

Khan Noonien Singh called, he wants his rubber chesticles back.

http://www.poffysmoviemania.com/StarTrekII_caption.jpg

But I actually like this turn for Brody, so I'm just kidding.

krakenslayer
24-Jun-2010, 10:24 AM
International or "R" rated trailer. Blood, guts, spinal columns!:D

There are a few shots that could technically be considered spoilers, but I guess if they decided to put them in the trailer they aren't THAT spoiler-ish.

X92Cv3T9s7o&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Much better trailer than the US release, imo. This one gets me more excited than the last.

Looking good.

However, I'm a tiny bit worried about the rather... uninspired dialogue I'm seeing. I'm worried the scriptwriters thought "Oh Predator was just a cheeseball action movie so we can write the dialogue in action-movie autopilot". Actually, although some would say "stick around" and "get to de choppah" are exceptions to this, the dialogue in the original film was very lean but quite clever, sharp and quite poetic in parts. Even when the Native American guy is speaking about tracking the thing, or the captured girl is talking about the butcher that comes in the warmest years, the dialogue is over the top but doesn't rely upon cliched templates, like:

"This place is a game preserve... [dramatic pause]... and we are the prey!"

Oh god, that's so cliche, they would have been just as well to have a middle eastern guy say: "Thees place... [dramatic pause]... ees cursed!"

"How do we kill them?"
"Any way you can."

*facepalm* ...just ...*facepalm*

Still looking forward to it. The action and cinematography long good. But I remain sceptical.

MinionZombie
24-Jun-2010, 10:26 AM
hopefully it won't be like terminator:salvation, which had some rather decent trailers (particularly the one with nine inch nails rocking out), but was not-as-good overall as the trailers made it look....which sadly is the case with many films and their trailers.

Tell me about it - that "The Day The World Went Away" trailer for T4 was amazing, and I'm not taking the piss either. I loved that trailer ... the movie was fucking gash, mind. It had some nice moments and some nice images, but it was so inconsistent with the franchise origins (e.g. super terminators) and just generally stupid, that it fails harder each time you see it.

The aforementioned trailer was fucking immense though. I seriously watched that trailer over-and-over again. Like 30 fucking times.

I'm sure a lot of help came from the awesome-as-all-get-out song by NIN, mind.

ProfessorChaos
24-Jun-2010, 10:40 AM
...it fails harder each time you see it.

i recall liking it well enough after the first viewing in theaters that i figured i'd pick up the dvd when it came out.

as time wore on, though, and i began really thinking about the original and how great it still is, and then thought of how i never really cared for t2 all that much, t3 was shit, and t:s just played with our emotions and teased us into seeing a mtv/disney sellout-style terminator film. decided against getting the dvd, even as a free gift during the holidays.

i can barely watch it on tv, seems like just as i start getting wowed by all the explosions and action, my brain kicks in and starts ranting about crappy rappers trying to act, the mute kid who serves no purpose at all in the film, the lack of amazing night battles t2 hinted at, christian bale screaming his head off (both on and off-screen:lol:) and a cgi-arnold...ugh, gotta stop now, feeling sad.

that trailer really did fucking rock and give me a lot of hope for that film. in fact, i think i enjoyed the trailer way more than the film itself.

bassman
24-Jun-2010, 12:05 PM
"This place is a game preserve... [dramatic pause]... and we are the prey!"

"He came to get the body. He's killing us one at a time. Like a hunter."

"How do we kill them?"
"Any way you can."

*facepalm* ...just ...*facepalm*

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

I hate to be the one to say it...but Predator is your run-of-the-mill actioner with similar action dialogue. It was just unique because of the sci-fi creature in a familiar world. 20+ years later we may praise it for more because of the love we've grown for it....but it's still an action film with that familiar tongue. It's written by Shane Black, ffs. (Lethal Weapon - one of the kings of 80's action)

krakenslayer
24-Jun-2010, 01:12 PM
"He came to get the body. He's killing us one at a time. Like a hunter."

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

I hate to be the one to say it...but Predator is your run-of-the-mill actioner with similar action dialogue. It was just unique because of the sci-fi creature in a familiar world. 20+ years later we may praise it for more because of the love we've grown for it....but it's still an action film with that familiar tongue. It's written by Shane Black, ffs. (Lethal Weapon - one of the kings of 80's action)

I disagree. Yes, the dialogue in Predator was cheesy, but it wasn't cliche. The "hunter" line was delivered well and illustrated how the character's mind was working over the situation. "If it bleeds", was the same. It was a simple statement of fact, illustrating the formation of an idea in the character's head and the actual communication of information between the characters, as opposed to cool-sounding but otherwise vapid, meaningless and wholly fatuous nonsense like: "Any way you can" <-- That doesn't even mean anything, there is no information conveyed to the audience or the character, it's worthless dialogue.

The original Predator had larger than life characters with larger than life personalities, so naturally some of the dialogue is a bit OTT. But it wasn't riddled with stock phrases, silly dramatic pauses, and it didn't sound like the characters were spouting movie taglines all over the place.

Hopefully the trailer is just giving a skewed view of the dialogue (they always want to boil things down to cliches for trailers), and the silly delivery might be a result of the trailer editing.

I'll probably enjoy it anyway. I just hope they haven't fucked it up.

bassman
24-Jun-2010, 01:19 PM
Hrm. Interesting. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Krakers.

Imo, Predator is filled with some of the cheesiest action film stitches around. The larger-than-life soldiers that are damn near cartoon characters, the velveeta dialogue, the intense gore. Predator is a comic book. If anything, I would say Predator 2 is closer to a "real life" scenario.

MinionZombie
24-Jun-2010, 05:34 PM
"RUN! GET TO DA CHOPPAH!"

Had to be said, cos that line rocks. :D

That new trailer is a damn sight better than the previous snippets/trailers I've seen - so no doubt I'll see this in the cinema.

Tricky
24-Jun-2010, 06:01 PM
Cant forget this classic line!
wDztrw_0N8M

krakenslayer
25-Jun-2010, 10:45 AM
Hrm. Interesting. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Krakers.

Imo, Predator is filled with some of the cheesiest action film stitches around. The larger-than-life soldiers that are damn near cartoon characters, the velveeta dialogue, the intense gore. Predator is a comic book. If anything, I would say Predator 2 is closer to a "real life" scenario.

Yeah, I agree with that, but I guess what I'm trying to say Bass, is that the dialogue in Predator felt more "honest": it was hokey and over-the-top but the lines still felt like the kind of thing a "real life" comic book character would actually say. The macho dialogue coming from any one of those macho guys, always tends to fit properly with that character. It was high-calibre, ORIGINAL-SOUNDING cheeseball dialogue, not just variations of stock phrases normally used by trailer announcers.

Believe it or not, the "any way you can line" is actually ripped off from Uwe Boll's House of the Dead trailer (or, if not actually ripped off, it just popped up twice because it's such an uninspired knuckle-headed slug line):

oaF3dN_fVfY

EDIT:
Watched the trailer again. The dramatic pause between "this place is a game reserve" and "and we are the game" is actually a result of the trailer editing, I think. If the two parts of the phrase are played together, it doesn't sound nearly as bad. Don't get me wrong, I still have high hopes for this.

bassman
29-Jun-2010, 02:21 PM
What seems to be the first review (http://www.epinions.com/review/Predators_98118358/content_515650195076).

Ultimately, “Predators” will not win any big awards, but it is surprisingly engaging and more scary than it is outright gory and that is a treat for anyone who has suffered through the last two installments that had anything to do with the predator aliens. And yes, the title is a double entendre and there is something to be said for humans being the aliens in this one and hunted without the home field advantage.

And for anyone interested, the first film is released on a new Blu Ray today. Much better transfer than the last. Comparison (http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/articles/predator-blu-ray-comparison/).

slickwilly13
09-Jul-2010, 04:45 PM
I am curious about this movie, so I may catch an earlier showing during the weekend.

Eyebiter
09-Jul-2010, 09:26 PM
Predators is a sequel to the first film in the series, ignores events in Predator 2 and the AVP movies.

This is a summer time popcorn action flick. Don't expect deep character development or insightful commentary on the human condition. It's all about surviving in the jungle on an alien planet being hunted by an invisible and unknown enemy.

F/X is decent. Plot feels like it's recycled from the first film. Down to the fact one guy has a minigun and another has the same big knife from the first film.

Characters are like archtypes from a video game - various types of military and criminals representing conflicts from across the globe.

rongravy
10-Jul-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm seeing it in half an hour.
A couple of off the wall things...
I didn't know Van Damme was originally supposed to be the Predator. He was a whiny dick and too small compared to the stars so they shitcanned him. Awesome move.
Also, Adrian Brody is in this. Did anybody else ever see Splice?
Let's just hope he doesn't try to fuck THIS creepy mutant to death...

I totally forgot there was only one sequel to the original until this. I also thought this was a reboot, though it isn't.
I'm hoping it'll be good, but I'm getting superbaked just... in... case.
:sneaky:

rongravy
10-Jul-2010, 04:08 AM
Sorry to double post, but I done did seen it, I did, I did!!!
Anyway, it was decent. They showed the Machete trailer before it.
Very actiony, and the gore wasn't bad. Worth watching on the bigscreen, I'd say. Definitely left it open for more...

SymphonicX
10-Jul-2010, 05:15 PM
I mean if you look back on the original Predator movie - it was just a basic actioner - so this new part of the franchise sounds like it's staying pretty close to the original.

It was Alien that had depth, and when the Alien and Predator finally met in AVP, the plot was closer to the original Predator than Alien...nothing to do with someone's struggle against an evil alien species, and more to do with a bunch of people going somewhere, then getting killed.

bassman
11-Jul-2010, 01:54 AM
So wait.....how is the original Predator that much different from the orginal Alien? Both films involve a group of people unwillingly sent into a strange environment with a superior hunter. You may like one over the other, but they're very, very similar. Ripe for the crossover series.

SymphonicX
11-Jul-2010, 09:54 AM
So wait.....how is the original Predator that much different from the orginal Alien? Both films involve a group of people unwillingly sent into a strange environment with a superior hunter. You may like one over the other, but they're very, very similar. Ripe for the crossover series.

Plot wise, on paper the films are similar - what you've got with Alien is a far more indepth understanding of the human ability to adapt and overcome.

Fundamentally you have one film with a bunch of bad-asses, who have never in the history of the military actually existed, and on the other you've got a vision of the far future where normal people, with no military background, have careers in mining materials from other planets - so one card has a bunch of action film characters, the other tries to put YOU in the driving seat a little more, because each person on that ship is both fallable, and completely vulnerable to the Alien onboard. The style of filming is slow, plot and atmosphere driven horror - Predator isn't - it's a great movie though, but if AVP had even half of the dark, brooding atmosphere set up by Alien, it would have been a winner.

It's this study of the character's vulnerability and their approach to dealing with the alien problem (from Ian Holm's cyborg Ash for instance), and their location that sets the film up as far more claustrophobic, and far more intense than Predator ever was. The following films explored Ripley's struggle against this species, creating a legacy that looks at the human cost of this situation.

Predator was about a bunch of hard-asses getting the shit blown out of them by a very well designed character from outer space that hunts on Earth for sport - it goes about that deep really.

And let's look at the archetypal annoying character - Predator doesn't have one - but Alien has the woman who gets killed near the end, she's always bawling and in complete pieces - and in every horror film I can imagine that very character is by far the most irrational, and annoying person - but not in Alien. No her horror and fear is completely passed off onto the audience, both her performance and her dialogue set up her existence as justifiably scared and fearful of death - she goes to pieces exactly how YOU or I would go to pieces in that situation...and that's what sets the movies apart - real people vs stereotypical badasses

CooperWasRight
11-Jul-2010, 07:11 PM
I saw it Friday.... I was expecting to be disappointed like I had been my last couple of outing to the cinema.

I wasn't... I can honestly say it was a pretty good flick...I give it about a 8 out of 10...Graded on a action movie curve of course... I honestly don't get the whole "It's just a copy of the first argument"... It is not... Other then the fact that the Predator is hunting a bunch of guys... And a few homages*

It stands as a worthy sequel and leagues better the the avp movies. It really didnt have and had scratching or serious eye rolling scenes and it had good editing and pacing.

* For those of you that have seen it... The first big homage to a classic scene with the first involving a lot of firepower was super weak in this film and didn't hold a candle... That scene was one of very few disappointments I have with this film

MinionZombie
11-Jul-2010, 08:11 PM
Saw it earlier today. Yeah, the opening has a few homages (the gun scene that Cooper mentions, as well as a bunch of musical moments).

Over all I dug the flick - I'd put it on par with Predator 2, which is a good flick. Predator 2 does some stuff better, but Predators does some other stuff better. So they, all said and done, match each other. Nothing was ever going to beat Predator 1.

The AvP movies sucked though ... goddamn they sucked.

Will blog about it in more depth later on.

clanglee
11-Jul-2010, 08:38 PM
Meh, I just kind of found it to be a crappy version of the original. Same situation, different planet, less fun, and no Arnold. Meh. It kept my attention though. . .and it was better than the AVP movies. . .but I even found it subpar to Predator 2.

ProfessorChaos
11-Jul-2010, 09:19 PM
going to see this monday afternoon. friend of mine called earlier and highly recommended it. not heard/read a bad review yet, so i'm allowing myself to remain mildly excited.

CooperWasRight
11-Jul-2010, 10:50 PM
Meh, I just kind of found it to be a crappy version of the original. Same situation, different planet, less fun, and no Arnold. Meh. It kept my attention though. . .and it was better than the AVP movies. . .but I even found it subpar to Predator 2.

You enjoyed Gary Busey chasing a Predator around with a glorified can of compressed air more then Predators eh?....

clanglee
11-Jul-2010, 11:12 PM
You enjoyed Gary Busey chasing a Predator around with a glorified can of compressed air more then Predators eh?....

Yup, it had a decent plot, and some likable characters. . . .and it did something new with the story.

Oh and no completely predictible plot "twist" from Topher Grace.

CooperWasRight
12-Jul-2010, 05:48 AM
Yup, it had a decent plot, and some likable characters. . . .and it did something new with the story.

Oh and no completely predictible plot "twist" from Topher Grace.

Im sure you guessed tophers secret... Mind giving me next weeks lotto numbers?.... I have never met anyone that actually thought Predator 2 was a good movie... It is pretty much universally considered crap. Granted it had some cool additions to the mythology... Other then that it is below the avp films.

clanglee
12-Jul-2010, 08:28 AM
Im sure you guessed tophers secret... Mind giving me next weeks lotto numbers.

What was so hard about it? the rest of the group were all predators in one way or another. At the very beginning he puts some of that neurotoxin on his little knife. hmmmm. . . .gonna guess that Topher is some sort of serial killer or something equally malicious right away. Why else would he be there?:rolleyes: Oh, and next weeks lotto numbers are 08 12 26 46 52 and 30

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 AM ----------

I have never met anyone that actually thought Predator 2 was a good movie....

You have now :D

bassman
12-Jul-2010, 12:05 PM
I have never met anyone that actually thought Predator 2 was a good movie... It is pretty much universally considered crap. Granted it had some cool additions to the mythology... Other then that it is below the avp films.

I like Predator 2. It may not be as good as the original, but they tried something different and if you allow it, it's actually a fun movie. I think most opinions of the film have changed over the years. Much like Day. But no....it's definitely not below the AVP films.

This article (http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=22933) pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

CooperWasRight
12-Jul-2010, 07:45 PM
It was obvious foreshadowing...But to say you knew what he was and why he was there is what I call bullshit on... As far as Predator 2 goes... There is a difference between liking a film and confusing liking a movie for being a good movie... There is often a difference.

I "like" AVP requiem but I'm not gonna sit here and defend it as being a good movie... It was pretty much garbage.

clanglee
12-Jul-2010, 07:49 PM
It was obvious foreshadowing...But to say you knew what he was and why he was there is what I call bullshit on... As far as Predator 2 goes... There is a difference between liking a film and confusing liking a movie for being a good movie... There is often a difference.

I "like" AVP requiem but I'm not gonna sit here and defend it as being a good movie... I was pretty much garbage.

Yeah, don't really care if you believe me or not. . . . Man you must have loved Predators to get so miffed that someone else didn't like it. Good for you!! Opinions are wonderful things. . . . .

ProfessorChaos
13-Jul-2010, 12:25 AM
just got in from seeing this with a few buds. overall, i was pretty impressed. not sure if it's going to be added to the dvd collection, but i'll say that in my opinion, it is the best addition to the franchise since the original.

only had a few gripes, here they are:

1. it's hard for me to see topher grace as any character other than eric foreman, so he kinda felt out of place.

2. at the end of one of the trailers, there is a predator growling/howling/screaming or whatever they do. while this film did have predators giving out war cries, none sounded like the one used in the trailer, which i believe is from the original....kinda let down by that.

3. a little too reliant on the nods to the original film, including blasting "long tall sally" over the credits. while i appreciate that this film pays tribute to the first one, at times it felt a bit much.

4. i love profanity as much as the next fella, but at times, it felt like this film was throwing the F-bomb around like it was going out of style. some films (the big lebowski, pulp fiction, goodfellas, casino, etc) can get away with this and you don't seem to notice, but it just felt unnecessary at times in predators.

overall, like i said, i really liked it. the music was great, some interesting characters, adrien brody was awesome, and the final showdown was intense. definitely worth checking out of you are a fan of the original.

clanglee
13-Jul-2010, 01:38 AM
adrien brody was awesome,

You know. . .I was pleasantly surprised by how good he was in the role.

ProfessorChaos
13-Jul-2010, 01:57 AM
yeah, i've only seen a few films with adrien brody, but i've always thought he had a good screen presence and always came across as a convincing character.

once i heard he was involved with this movie, i knew it had potential to be pretty good. sorry you didn't like it as much as some of us did, clang.

clanglee
13-Jul-2010, 02:28 AM
once i heard he was involved with this movie, i knew it had potential to be pretty good. sorry you didn't like it as much as some of us did, clang.

Meh, it's no big deal. . . I didn't pay for it.:cool: Besides, I was entertained for a couple of hours. . . that's better than a lot of movies out there can say.

MinionZombie
13-Jul-2010, 09:51 AM
You know. . .I was pleasantly surprised by how good he was in the role.
I thought Brody rocked the role too. Initially hearing he was going to be in it I thought "wtf?", but he really brought it in this movie - and when he strips off his shirt in the final battle, you're totally sold on him being this badass merc or whatever he was.

I don't mean that in a sexual way, instead in a "fair play, he looks suitably bad ass" kind of way.

Eyebiter
13-Jul-2010, 04:44 PM
Enjoyed Predator 2, it's a Dark Horse Comic book on film. Great B science movie with good F/X, tons of explosions and firefights.

http://www.mailmemycomics.com/ProductImages/darkhorse_logo.gif

3v4GHqyU8bs

AcesandEights
13-Jul-2010, 05:48 PM
Enjoyed Predator 2, it's a Dark Horse Comic book on film. Great B science movie with good F/X, tons of explosions and firefights.

Yup, I agree. In fact, the only aspects of that first AvP that were even marginally cool (aside from the lost Antarctic city theme cribbed from predecessors like Poe & Lovecraft) were those snippets inspired by Dark Horse. Maybe some of the vile stuff could have been inspired by DH stuff I'm unaware of, as well...only have read so many of those and that was a long time ago.

CooperWasRight
13-Jul-2010, 08:52 PM
I thought Brody rocked the role too. Initially hearing he was going to be in it I thought "wtf?", but he really brought it in this movie - and when he strips off his shirt in the final battle, you're totally sold on him being this badass merc or whatever he was.

I like Brody as an actor but when I first heard the guy who was a skeleton in The pianist was gonna be the hero, I had a hard time buying it.... I mean its not like Christian bale who went from being cut to The machinist to batman.

But I was very surprised.. He was pretty convincing. My girlfriend said something I thought was pretty funny.. She said when Brody had his shirt off it reminded her of a little boy in a muscle suit costume.

AcesandEights
13-Jul-2010, 09:00 PM
My girlfriend said something I thought was pretty funny.. She said when Brody had his shirt off it reminded her of a little boy in a muscle suit costume.

I agree! (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showpost.php?p=233257&postcount=125) :D

But I do like Brody as a non-steroid abusing 'action hero'.

CooperWasRight
13-Jul-2010, 09:14 PM
Some people are just not built to bulk up... I think the thing is his arms dont match the rest...so it looks awkward.

Tricky
22-Jul-2010, 11:38 PM
Just got back from this film, im not sure if I liked it or not really & im a big fan of the first, and definitely like the second! (I dont class the AvP films as part of the franchise)
There was some cool scenes, but there was far too much obvious leaning on the first film, such as the Yakuza guy going all "billy", the scene where they all fall in the water after sliding down a hill, the mini-gun (how much ammo was that guy carrying anyway???), and even the traps that they stumbled into early on were very reminiscent of the one Arnie catches the first predator with, and when describing the dead guys last stand they used the line "he was shooting in all directions" which is lifted straight from the first film when Arnie discovers Hoppers skinned team!
Plus it was all very convenient how they were wandering aimlessly through this vast jungle, but just kept stumbling on different set pieces like the cages, the predator camp, the traps etc. Also how come when they mention that the sun hasnt moved all day they are looking up at the sky, but they dont see all those other planets and moons till they walk out of that clearing?
Some more character/plot development would have been nice too, such as explaining how the woman knew about Arnies team in '87 (I initially thought she was "anna" from the first one when she revealed that info) and some more back story on larry fishburnes character would have been good. I expected him to say he went missing from 'nam or something, but sadly it wasnt expanded on, nor was that place he was living in or how he killed a predator & had worked out how to use the mask/cloak/weapon. I did like that he was mumbling "ride of the valkeries" though, a nod to his apocalypse now role!
Anyway I really wanted to like it more than I did, but it wasnt a bad film either & the effects were largely good, plus predators are always cool :cool: it just had something missing. 7/10 from me

What was so hard about it? [spoiler]the rest of the group were all predators in one way or another. At the very beginning he puts some of that neurotoxin on his little knife. hmmmm. . . .gonna guess that Topher is some sort of serial killer or something equally malicious right away. Why else would he be there?

Actually I didnt see that coming, when he said he was a doctor early on I went through most of the film under the impression he had been put there to patch up minor injuries among the group to extend the hunt for the predators, I know thats a daft idea but thats the way I was looking at it until he revealed his true colours.

MinionZombie
23-Jul-2010, 09:45 AM
Tricky - I too thought that Topher Grace's character was there to patch people up, that's immediately what I thought, and with everything else happening, I'd forgotten about the poisonous knife thing ... although it's kind of odd that the stuff remained active on his knife for all that time without drying up or being wiped off.

It was when he showed that picture of the Russian's kids as his own that I then turned 180 and said "oh yeah he's a bad dude, that's fucked up".

Trancelikestate
07-Aug-2010, 11:50 PM
2. at the end of one of the trailers, there is a predator growling/howling/screaming or whatever they do. while this film did have predators giving out war cries, none sounded like the one used in the trailer, which i believe is from the original....kinda let down by that.

They also show brody with like 15 laser sights on him, and theres only 3 predators. Gay.

I also felt reminiscent to JP3 when the spinosaurus kills the trex, when the "new species" predator killed the original species one. That was lame. Also new species? was that really necessary? kinda lame too.

I liked it though. not bad.

bassman
23-Oct-2010, 12:12 PM
Late to the game, but chiming in with my 02.

I personally thought it was great. There were a few minor gripes, but overall it is a fun film and a great predator film. The cast was great, the score calling back to the original was nice, and it felt like a sequel should feel. Although all are different films, I will gladly place this on my dvd shelves next to the first two.

I think most people have sorta built up the orignal in the 20 plus years since it's release. At it's heart it's still just an action film just like this one is. Maybe it's because of Arnold, or maybe it's because it was one of the first of it's kind, but this one fits in the exact same category. Great sequel. I hope we see more.

And I LOVED the choice of music during the credits. Got a good laugh out of that...

Trancelikestate
23-Oct-2010, 02:35 PM
So i recently watched a dvd quality version which after seeing i admit i liked it better. I still can't get over the "new species" though. I mean, Stan Winston designed that creature and i just don't think it's right for them to redo it and essentially shit on the old one. Specially after he just died a couple years ago. Maybe it's cuz i'm an f/x guy. Don't get me wrong, the new one looked good and all. Just seems like one of those things hollywood does to take it up a notch. It does pay homage well to the original though, maybe even too much. Theres quite a number of nods to it.

I was watching predator 2 the other day. Everyone remembers the part at the end with the trophy case yeah? Well theres an alien skull and a few others. I read somewhere they were just random skulls. However, 1 skull reminded me of the new predators. Were it indeed the case i'd feel a lot more open to the new predators idea. I dunno, anyone get that?

MoonSylver
23-Oct-2010, 03:07 PM
I think most people have sorta built up the orignal in the 20 plus years since it's release. At it's heart it's still just an action film just like this one is. Maybe it's because of Arnold, or maybe it's because it was one of the first of it's kind, but this one fits in the exact same category. Great sequel. I hope we see more.

While the 1st shouldn't be put on a pedestal, it really was kind of a perfect storm of personality, writing, dialog, SPFX, & great cast. Everything just gels perfectly. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, I really want to check it out.

ProfessorChaos
23-Oct-2010, 04:06 PM
dunno man, i still think that the original is easily one of the best films of the 80's, as far as sci-fi/action flicks go.

i'm gonna have to watch this sequel again. like i said in the shoutbox, i thought it was decent, but nothing spectacular or even that memorable....

krakenslayer
23-Oct-2010, 09:07 PM
They were not really a different species, more like a different race/tribe. I actually think it was a nice touch, and here's why: when was the last time you saw a movie when two aliens of the same species speak a different language and/or dress differently and/or look slightly different? I'm guessing never. Human beings from different parts of Earth have adapted differently to their slightly differing environments and therefore look different and have different cultures. In sci-fi movies, however, there is this unwritten rule that any one alien species must always have one monolithic culture, speak one universal language, look the same, etc. Strikes me as a bit boring and unlikely.

What Predators does in an interesting way is have the aliens living in a tribal culture. They're not the most multicultural species and therefore have various alliances and blood rivalries between their tribes. They tend not to breed with members of different tribes to their own, therefore each tribe has different racial traits that are unique to that tribe. What you see happening between the "wolf predators" and the "classic predators" is just a spot of old-fashioned racial hatred.

Also, I disagree that Stan Winston is being disrespected by the film-makers. This is actually the first of the sequels to re-introduce Winston's original, unaltered Predator design, as a tribute specifically to him. None of the sequels, not even Predator 2, followed this design closely at all. I know where you're coming from, but it's not like the design was actually replaced, just complimented by new ones in addition to it.