PDA

View Full Version : i saw it.

sirjacktorrance
13-Oct-2009, 01:48 PM
i saw teh movie in the sitges film festival last saturday.well guys this is thought.
i loved LAND OF THE DEAD, And i like very much Diary.but survival....
i read lots and lots of reviews from diferent websites and blogs.some of the was bad reviews but diary had also very bad critics.i had a hope in the movie because the dreadcentral,fangoria,shocktillyoudrop, joblo and aintitcool reviews.there was good.

sorry, I cant stand that a fan of romeroīs dead movies likes SURVIVAL.ITīS THE WORST dead movie ever."best since day"? best since day my ass.you canīt image my face when i was watching the movie.i couldnīt belive it.itīs a bad movie with bad script,bad acting,bad lighting, bad cinematography... i cant blame romero for all that deparments because the movie itīs so cheap...looks like a bad tv movie!!!thereīs no money for make up!!!itīs a shame that the zombies looks like a regular guy with chessy appliances.iīm sad , very sad because i hoped that this new saga could have been great.but this movie kills the franchise. IT IS STUPID.feels like a bad parody that donīt fix with the other movies.why has you done this to the zombies, Romero?

the characters- are one dimensional and stupid.i though i was gonna love the main, but itīs not so good.the kid the mexican, and the lesbian guard.i want to be shooted.

the script- bad, not funny,not sharp...tedious!!

the gore- cgi, bad executed ,bad integrated.it looks awful, truly.there weresome decent headshots(not too much)and a few cool feeding shots

the zombies- lack of them. Z series grade make up,stupidity in faces and REALLY REALLY BAD zombie acting.

seriously guys i love the saga, all the movies.love the man.i not a hater.but this movie dragges me down.for me itīs the END .I have no hopes for new movies at all.
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

SymphonicX
13-Oct-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh man i'm really sorry to hear that....the film has literally 50/50 good and bad reviews so I still gotta keep an open and hopeful mind when I see it...!!

AcesandEights
13-Oct-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks for your thoughts on the film, Sir!

I have to tell you I did not like Diary, so we may be coming at Survival from opposite ends of the spectrum. I still have to give Survival a chance, but I fully admit there's serious potential for suckitude :(

That said, the realistic expectations, I hope, will give me enough perspective to be able to enjoy the film if there's anything in the final product that would normally speak to me.

I will take what you've said under advisement and I do feel your pain, as it sounds much like how I felt about Diary.

krakenslayer
13-Oct-2009, 02:09 PM
Starting to get a bit worried. A new Romero film on the horizon is one of those things that keeps me looking forward with optimism, year on year. The same way some people look forward to the next football season or whatever. I don't want to give up on that.

Oh well, if this sucks maybe I'll go and become a Don Coscarelli fanboy instead...

SymphonicX
13-Oct-2009, 02:15 PM
doesn't bode too well eh...

Only hope i got from this is that I thought Diary was poor....so as with Kraken might be coming from the other side.

krakenslayer
13-Oct-2009, 02:24 PM
I'll tell you guys how I'm going to approach this film when I finally see it. I've read all reviews, and gathered a good sense of what the film does and doesn't do from them - I'm going to try to tailor my mindset and expectations to something that can be fulfilled by the movie.

I'll tell you what I'm thinking when I read these reviews - people are going in expecting a Dead movie... only, George is in CREEPSHOW mode! Think about it - we know from all accounts that the film is incredibly bizarre, almost surreal in places, with unexpected off-the-wall humour, weird plot twists, absurdly over the top kills, comic book characters, odd logic, and a COMPLETELY different feel to it than any of the other Dead films. Sound familiar, right?

So when I watch this I'm expecting to see a Creepshow movie set in the Dead universe. This is a little thought-experiment, and I hope it works. If it pays off, it could save me a lot of heartache.

bassman
13-Oct-2009, 02:30 PM
That's funny, Kraken. While reading some of the reviews I've actually been reminded of Creepshow a bit. Maybe that is the kind of vibe he's going for...

capncnut
13-Oct-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm still gonna give it a chance but damn my hopes are fading fast. :(

krakenslayer
13-Oct-2009, 04:25 PM
Aargh! I'm so sick of this. I just wish I could watch the damn movie now, and if it does suck then I can start getting over it and moving on with my life. :lol:

sirjacktorrance
13-Oct-2009, 05:20 PM
the movie is bad.it did not suck because 3o 4r shots.not much .
the thing that piss me off is that the movie could have been great .but itīs not.itīs very lame,it feeels like they get running out of time and money and thereīs edit cuts that feels like they dont get the shots they have to.the worst of all .the worst is that there are moments that we have seen in land.thereīs a line of the script in the end that get me embarrased.

when the movie ends the characters discuss what to do, stay in the island or leaving.the guard choose leaving and argue that they stay safe from the zombies but what theyīll do to themselves? EXACT like LAND!!!thereīs a lot of "charlie and slack" shooting at each other and "SURPRISE A ZOMBIE ON THE BACK!!"

MoonSylver
14-Oct-2009, 01:15 AM
i saw teh movie in the sitges film festival last saturday.well guys this is thought.

sorry, I cant stand that a fan of romeroīs dead movies likes SURVIVAL.ITīS THE WORST dead movie ever.

:(

The fact that you like Land & Diary (as do I) when many others do not & feel this strongly about this one make my hopes fade a bit....:(

blind2d
14-Oct-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm sorry... I couldn't read your review, due to the egregious amount of spelling/grammatical errors. I'm sure this movie was actually better than you seem to think, and will become another classic like Night. Either way, you should really learn the language before you go trying to use it to inform people.

bassman
14-Oct-2009, 01:36 AM
I'm sorry... I couldn't read your review, due to the egregious amount of spelling/grammatical errors. I'm sure this movie was actually better than you seem to think, and will become another classic like Night. Either way, you should really learn the language before you go trying to use it to inform people.

Dude....totally uncalled for. Everyone else here could read it just fine. It's obvious that english isn't his first language.

AcesandEights
14-Oct-2009, 01:39 AM

Jeez, man...it's not exactly the Beale cypher. It was a little rough around edges, but English is a second language for Sir.

blind2d
14-Oct-2009, 01:57 AM
Sorry... just a bit annoyed... and I wanted to say "egregious"... if I offend, I do apologize.
Still... I'm going to try my best to love Survival!

sirjacktorrance
14-Oct-2009, 08:48 AM
:(

The fact that you like Land & Diary (as do I) when many others do not & feel this strongly about this one make my hopes fade a bit....:(

yes.itīs not good like land and diary,itīs like the little faults that diary and land had, are there for over the place.i went with very low expectations but the movie hurts me .itīs THAT bad.
it breaks my heart to say it, but itīs the way i feel .ilove the guy .but i donīt know if i want him to make more of this...

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

sorry for the language.iīm from spain and i try to inform you all of what i think of the movie. for sure my english is not very good, but iīd like to know how your spanish is.

the fact that my english sucks donīt make this film better.it will not become a classic.in the best of cases people will forgive it and remember the others.itīs painful to associate the movie with the others.

bassman
14-Oct-2009, 12:50 PM
Hey Sir.....what did you think of the music? One of my favorite things in the original trilogy is the music and that's been lacking a bit from his past two efforts. Does Survival return to have a good score, or would it have been better if Harrison stayed on board?

sirjacktorrance
14-Oct-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey Sir.....what did you think of the music? One of my favorite things in the original trilogy is the music and that's been lacking a bit from his past two efforts. Does Survival return to have a good score, or would it have been better if Harrison stayed on board?

the music is plane, very subtle.that could have been a good thing but it has nothing memorable.thereīs a lot of moments witouth sound.itīs not horrible but like other departments itīs just ok.it could have been better if Harrison scored it.there have moments in the score that are very out of place.thereīs a moment that you can watch in the trailer with two horsemen in a green valley.in that same shot the movie has a Terrible "country toon" music of just a seconds.very depressing.the music of the trailer is better. well i think the trailer makes me think that the same movie could have been at least ok with better editing and music.

FEEL FREE OF ASKING what you want from the movie...;)

bassman
14-Oct-2009, 01:31 PM
I know you said that the zombie acting is bad, but what about the lead zombies? Any memorable zombie characters?

In the original trilogy there were always zombies that stood out and would be remembered after the film was over. Any hero zombies that stand out in Survival?

Another one - Does Romero make a cameo? Anyone else for that matter?

sirjacktorrance
14-Oct-2009, 02:21 PM
I know you said that the zombie acting is bad, but what about the lead zombies? Any memorable zombie characters?

In the original trilogy there were always zombies that stood out and would be remembered after the film was over. Any hero zombies that stand out in Survival?

Another one - Does Romero make a cameo? Anyone else for that matter?

Zombie acting is bad, but you canīt tell if itīs pourpousily bad or what!! the result itīs lame.thereīs one female lead horseriding zombie.and itīs not very good.not bad but not good.the make up of that zombie itīs cheap cheap.itīs nothing memorable. thereīs not hero zombies here, maybe "cool "KILLS TO THE ZOMBIES " but not hero zombies.thereīs a lack of zombies though, thereīs not more than 20-30 on screen at the time...thereīs not an explosive ,spectacular climax. itīs ...:confused:

krakenslayer
14-Oct-2009, 03:09 PM
Twenty or thirty? That's more than Diary and Land (minus the CG crowd shot, at least).

*desperately clings on to shreds of hope*

darth los
14-Oct-2009, 03:25 PM

I never really thought of that before but you're right.

There are pieces of music that are inextricably linked to the original trilogy. In fact I can't think of ony one of those films and not have the accompanying music to the respective scene playing in my head as well.

:cool:

sirjacktorrance
14-Oct-2009, 03:40 PM
Twenty or thirty? That's more than Diary and Land (minus the CG crowd shot, at least).

*desperately clings on to shreds of hope*

in land there are more than this.
a donīt know the number exactly but the final scene dont have much more than the ones youīll see in the poster...

darth los
14-Oct-2009, 04:24 PM
Zombie acting is bad, but you canīt tell if itīs pourpousily bad or what!! the result itīs lame.thereīs one female lead horseriding zombie.and itīs not very good.not bad but not good.the make up of that zombie itīs cheap cheap.itīs nothing memorable. thereīs not hero zombies here, maybe "cool "KILLS TO THE ZOMBIES " but not hero zombies.thereīs a lack of zombies though, thereīs not more than 20-30 on screen at the time...thereīs not an explosive ,spectacular climax. itīs ...:confused:

Man is is this filling me with good vibes. :rolleyes:

krakenslayer
14-Oct-2009, 05:57 PM
This thread is murder-raping my dreams. :(

sirjacktorrance
14-Oct-2009, 06:11 PM
This thread is murder-raping my dreams. :(

face it man, as soon as you can.when the movie finish i was very sad
my girlfriend told me.
"what happen to you??? you havenīt lost nobody!!!"
i told her:
"i have lost Romero,the king is dead"

bassman
14-Oct-2009, 06:16 PM
"i have lost Romero,the king is dead"

Bullshit. That's fine that you don't like his new film, but he's still the king and always will be. These new films don't take away from the fact that he created the genre and turned in THE definitive zombie trilogy.

Ghost Of War
14-Oct-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm not being funny, and I get the fact that you didn't like the film at all (not everyone will), but don't you think comments like "the king is dead" are a bit over the top? Especially when you're talking about a film that the majority of us here have yet to see? I mean, no more than 20-30 zombies on screen at any one time... Isn't this film near to the start of the outbreak, and set on an Island? So, if you think about it, there won't be that many zombies on Plum Island anyway. It's like you're telling us not to bother watching Survival because you think it sucks. I don't want to sound like I'm having a go at you, because I'm not, but some of you're comments just seem so....dramatic.

capncnut
14-Oct-2009, 06:19 PM
Bullshit. That's fine that you don't like his new film, but he's still the king and always will be. These new films don't take away from the fact that he created the genre and turned in THE definitive zombie trilogy.
^ What the bass said.

Yeah and let's start putting some spoiler tags up in this bizatch too, peeps.

darth los
14-Oct-2009, 06:24 PM
Well, as usual that's one man's opinion. And it might very well suck but also, as usual, I'll make up my own mind.

krakenslayer
14-Oct-2009, 06:50 PM
I have a question for Sir. I've heard that the scene where the soldiers rob the Winniebago from Diary also appears in the new film, told from the soldiers' point of view. Is this actually shown on screen? If so, is it just a recap using footage of Diary, or has it been re-shot without the subjective camera? Do the actors from Diary re-appear for this scene?

darth los
14-Oct-2009, 07:12 PM
Guys once again Pleeeeeeeeeze hide the spoilers. You're killing me. :(

krakenslayer
14-Oct-2009, 07:36 PM

Sorry man, I didn't mean to annoy you. I didn't consider that a spoiler at all, the potential response maybe, but not the question - it's been in pretty much all the reviews, it's the opening of the movie and part of the basic set-up.

Honestly, I did not intend to ruin anything for anyone. Obviously, if I knew it, I wouldn't give away any twist endings or anything, but apart from that, spoilers aren't something I usually worry about - other people seem to have differing degrees of sensitivity on the subject and I find it very difficult to know where to draw the line.

So once again, sorry.

sirjacktorrance
14-Oct-2009, 09:11 PM

yes he is the king.no doub about it.but for me this saga is so sacred... to me diary is better zombie movie than all the zombie movies from this decade.itīs the way he does.i love even the funny gags.for me the new films were inflaible.nobody could beat them.but this new movie is weak and he doesnīt take his legacy and his fans seriously.itīs ok,he can do whaterver he wants but for me this movie doesnt feel like a romero zombie movie.itīs like a bad parody.i donīt mind the comedy angle.i loved shaun, but here the zombies are not taken seriously.i canīt stand that.i can tell you iīm the mayor fan of romero of my country.in other forums i was the minority defending land or diary.i canīt defend survival.worse than that.i donīt feel exited with the idea of a new dead movie...i think that this is unreal for em.i standing at this forums and stayed looking for news of this movie since diary was presented insitges in 2007.now i lost hopes...i want it stop.truly

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

I'm not being funny, and I get the fact that you didn't like the film at all (not everyone will), but don't you think comments like "the king is dead" are a bit over the top? Especially when you're talking about a film that the majority of us here have yet to see? I mean, no more than 20-30 zombies on screen at any one time... Isn't this film near to the start of the outbreak, and set on an Island? So, if you think about it, there won't be that many zombies on Plum Island anyway. It's like you're telling us not to bother watching Survival because you think it sucks. I don't want to sound like I'm having a go at you, because I'm not, but some of you're comments just seem so....dramatic.

well for me itīs dramatic.itīs my favourite saga,i spend years and lots of time looking and speaking of these movies...maybe itīs over the top,but my dissapointment is hard.like i said i loved land and diary.i canīt imagine that the saga will turn in this.belive me, the lack of zombies itīs not for the start of the outbreak.itīs the same line of dawn.the problem itīs the painfull lack of money.itīs not romeroīs problem i guess,but the number and the make ups are LAME.iīv seen direct to dvd movies with low budgets that looks better and has better FX.for cristh sake weīre spaeking of the movies that defined the splatter subgenre!!! this movie lacks even that.i donīt think it sucks, i want you all to watch the movie.we have to support the genre and romero,but we have to realize that this could be the end of the dead movies, iīm not joking.maybe iīm a bit dramtic.maybe i was hoping that the fans who says that this movie itīs the best since day was right.in MY OPINION itīs the worst of the saga by far.not only that.i say that itīs doesnīt feel like a movie from the saga we love.i went into the movie very opne minded.but itīs too heavy for me... thatīs my two cents.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

I have a question for Sir. I've heard that the scene where the soldiers rob the Winniebago from Diary also appears in the new film, told from the soldiers' point of view. Is this actually shown on screen? If so, is it just a recap using footage of Diary, or has it been re-shot without the subjective camera? Do the actors from Diary re-appear for this scene?

THE images are downloaded from the death of the dead movie from diary.the guards dowload this bit and sarge explain the images with a voice over.there is off narration in the movie.i think the images are from a different take of the same shooting from diary,like an alternate take or something.yes the actors from diary are shown.itīs the first scene from the movie.

Feel free to ask wat you want

krakenslayer
14-Oct-2009, 09:14 PM
great info! Thanks! :D

Fecunditatis
15-Oct-2009, 08:22 AM
I haven't read one single positive review from Sitges yet. So it seems most people had it as bad as you, Sir Jack. Sorry.

I have one question. Some reviewers have written about the ending as something brilliant and by itself worth the price of admission. I don't want to know what it is, but I'm curious to read your take on that, if you want to write about it. Thanks!

sirjacktorrance
15-Oct-2009, 10:25 AM
I haven't read one single positive review from Sitges yet. So it seems most people had it as bad as you, Sir Jack. Sorry.

I have one question. Some reviewers have written about the ending as something brilliant and by itself worth the price of admission. I don't want to know what it is, but I'm curious to read your take on that, if you want to write about it. Thanks!

the ending is not brilliant.the final climax has more action than the rest of the movie but is far from brilliant.i suppose what they refer as brilliant is the final shot.itīs ok.itīs just seconds, itīs not a bad shot to end the movie but itīs not genre changing.itīs ok.nice.or whaterver you what ,but itīs just ok.maybe it will make more sense if the movie(or that particular subplot) was driven better.

Fecunditatis
15-Oct-2009, 12:32 PM
Gracias, Sir Jack!

The one moment I liked most in "Diary" was precisely the very last shot which, in my opinion, works as a perfect encapsulation of what the Dead films are about.

Anyway, I hope to enjoy "Survival" more than you did! Who knows, low expectations might help...

sirjacktorrance
15-Oct-2009, 01:05 PM
Gracias, Sir Jack!

The one moment I liked most in "Diary" was precisely the very last shot which, in my opinion, works as a perfect encapsulation of what the Dead films are about.

Anyway, I hope to enjoy "Survival" more than you did! Who knows, low expectations might help...

i migth enjoy more the movie whe iīll wacht it for the second time with my expectations killed.in my house and with a properly dvd.i donīt know if iīm right but the copy proyected seemed 1:85 ratio and the clip in the movie was 2:35. i donīt have it clear.but one thing was clear the copy proyected had a very poor quality.i think the copy was put on a dvd not in celuloid.

speaking of tht last shot of diary and if you want to read:

Thereīs a shot at the beginning with the same efect on a zombie head.the thing is that itīs a frontal close up and looks very very poor.thereīs another moment in the movie with more rednecks that have cut the heads of 6 or 7 zombies and put on sticks.it sounds cool but the execution itīs very bad,even romero told that in an interview,that sequence reminds me a lot the last shot of diary,it has the same purpose.the movie falls in that "classic" moments of the saga and made it reiterative and unoriginal

Fecunditatis
15-Oct-2009, 03:50 PM
I think I'll wait to watch it, but thanks all the same! I guess I already know more about the film than I would like to.

By the way, what a pity if they did really show a DVD copy of "Survival" in Sitges!

darth los
15-Oct-2009, 05:34 PM
Sorry man, I didn't mean to annoy you. I didn't consider that a spoiler at all, the potential response maybe, but not the question - it's been in pretty much all the reviews, it's the opening of the movie and part of the basic set-up.

Honestly, I did not intend to ruin anything for anyone. Obviously, if I knew it, I wouldn't give away any twist endings or anything, but apart from that, spoilers aren't something I usually worry about - other people seem to have differing degrees of sensitivity on the subject and I find it very difficult to know where to draw the line.

So once again, sorry.

No worries mate. There are much worse things in life.

For me, it's a big reason why I stopped going to the movies, especially for comedies. They show all the funny/cool stuff in the trailer so that by the time you get to go see it you've seen %80 of the good stuff the film has to offer. Just wanted to avoid that here. :)

Russian DeadMan
16-Oct-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't believe a word of those who's bitching the "Survival"! I'm steel looking forward to see this. I check IMDB page of it twice a day and hope, that movie won't suck. But if it does, well, I will eat my own guts.:)

sirjacktorrance
17-Oct-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't believe a word of those who's bitching the "Survival"! I'm steel looking forward to see this. I check IMDB page of it twice a day and hope, that movie won't suck. But if it does, well, I will eat my own guts.:)

iīm not bitching the movie man.i like some aspects of it but i didnīt expect the tone of the movie was gonna be THAT tonge in cheek.maybe you īll like it.iīm gonna watch the movie another time and iīm gonna buy the dvd.but i was very dissapointed.diary was great for me..survival itīs full of problems.

sirjacktorrance
18-Mar-2010, 09:07 PM
i read lots and lots of reviews from diferent websites and blogs.some of the was bad reviews but diary had also very bad critics.i had a hope in the movie because the dreadcentral,fangoria,shocktillyoudrop, joblo and aintitcool reviews.there was good.

sorry, I cant stand that a fan of romeroīs dead movies likes SURVIVAL.ITīS THE WORST dead movie ever."best since day"? best since day my ass.you canīt image my face when i was watching the movie.i couldnīt belive it.itīs a bad movie with bad script,bad acting,bad lighting, bad cinematography... i cant blame romero for all that deparments because the movie itīs so cheap...looks like a bad tv movie!!!thereīs no money for make up!!!itīs a shame that the zombies looks like a regular guy with chessy appliances.iīm sad , very sad because i hoped that this new saga could have been great.but this movie kills the franchise. IT IS STUPID.feels like a bad parody that donīt fix with the other movies.why has you done this to the zombies, Romero?

the characters- are one dimensional and stupid.i though i was gonna love the main, but itīs not so good.the kid the mexican, and the lesbian guard.i want to be shooted.

the gore- cgi, bad executed ,bad integrated.it looks awful, truly.there weresome decent headshots(not too much)and a few cool feeding shots

the zombies- lack of them. Z series grade make up,stupidity in faces and REALLY REALLY BAD zombie acting.

seriously guys i love the saga, all the movies.love the man.i not a hater.but this movie dragges me down.for me itīs the END .I have no hopes for new movies at all.

ok guys i rewatched this in my home for two times already.gets the movie better?

yes.

ive seen the movie in sitges in a very bad copy proyected direct by a dvd. the transfer was in 1:85 and the grain and lighting was oversized.the dvd version is in 2:35:1 with a better digitalization and color corrected.thefeel itīs much more cinematographic.the effects work better(the stick heads zombies looks completely different,i recommend watch it with less bright)the cgi itīs less noticeable and the lightning dont fell amateur.i think the movie has the same problems with characters and zombie acting but i dont hate it like i did.i recognise that i wwas dissapointed but the movie itīs not that bad.i gave it a 7 like a movie and 6 like a romero zombie movie

krakenslayer
18-Mar-2010, 09:44 PM
ok guys i rewatched this in my home for two times already.gets the movie better?

yes.

ive seen the movie in sitges in a very bad copy proyected direct by a dvd. the transfer was in 1:85 and the grain and lighting was oversized.the dvd version is in 2:35:1 with a better digitalization and color corrected.thefeel itīs much more cinematographic.the effects work better(the stick heads zombies looks completely different,i recommend watch it with less bright)the cgi itīs less noticeable and the lightning dont fell amateur.i think the movie has the same problems with characters and zombie acting but i dont hate it like i did.i recognise that i wwas dissapointed but the movie itīs not that bad.i gave it a 7 like a movie and 6 like a romero zombie movie

Thanks for sharing/comparing your thoughts, sirjack! It's a pity they ruined your viewing experience first time around by projecting a DVD in the wrong aspect ratio. I guess they were unable to get a 35mm print across the Atlantic to Sitges in time, so sent them a digital copy.

dracenstein
31-Mar-2010, 06:43 PM
Ok, I have bought and seen the dvd.

I wasn't expecting much from what I have heard about it and it was from that kind of frame of mind that I watched it.

I liked it.

It's not mind-blowing brilliant, but we aren't expecting that anymore, are we?

This is GR's equivalent of a western with a dollap of black humour, and as I said, I liked it.

I liked the 'good guys', Muldoon was a good 'baddie' and the gore was good.

It was a small island scenario, for the most part, and the small number of on-screen zombies worked well for me. The lack of 'hero' zombies was a disappointment, tho.

There were disappointments, true, but for the most part, I enjoyed the film.

The afore-mentioned horse-riding zombie was the most grating for me. Even if she had died on the horse, she should have been flopping all around on the horse, and when the horse jumped, she should have been thrown and, if not thrown clear, dragged behind the horse.

Muldoon's keeping the zombies 'alive' attitude wasn't consistent (as soon as we get back to the island we see Muldoon and co. shooting several zeds.

The troopers getting halved in number so early on the island was a minor gripe, one should have been saved for the final shoot-out, IMO.

The fisherman at the docks was a comedy moment which worked (for me, at least) but I was left confused, wondering if he was one of Flynn's gang or not. Flynn seemed surprised when he saw the fisherman and catch falling of the roof and they weren't calling out for him when the Sarge and co. arrived.

The acting was poor, but we don't expect Oscar-nominated acting in a zed-film anyway.

The CGI was poor, but you get what you pay for, and this had virtually no budget, as I understand it.

And I disagreed with the end reveal.

If there is anything I learned watching this, it's to stay out of Irish arguments.

On balance, I liked it more than I disliked certain aspects.

With the increasing amount of films coming out in 3-D, will GR's next zombie outing be in 3-D?

Butturff
01-May-2010, 05:07 PM
Romero's movies have always been about the story. I feel as though the script may not have been the best but the story is good.

With Survival Romero is at it again with social commentary, we are in death what we were on life, so when we die all of our old prejudices stay with us. We are trapped by what we are, hatreds don't die when the person dies, and this is exhibited in its finest in this movie.

Romero also continues to explore the complexities that are the life of a zombie. Yes you read that right the life of a zombie. No longer can we think of the creatures that he created as mindless. Sure in all of his movies he touched on a deeper intelligence that took a back seat to instinct and a few times like in the case of Bub the instinct took a back seat to the deeper intelligence. He brings it all the way to it's culmination with zombies riding horses, delivering mail, chopping wood, driving cars (something mentioned in Day of the Dead), and of course shooting guns. It feels as though this is where Romero intended for his vision to go all along.

Danny
01-May-2010, 06:49 PM

Dude, in a thread called "i saw it" you are complaining about spoilers? why not just avoid the thread till you watch it?:rockbrow:

MinionZombie
01-May-2010, 07:29 PM
Thread necromancy, much? Whyyyyyyyyy... :confused:

DjfunkmasterG
02-May-2010, 10:25 PM
Cause some dude made a comment on his thoughts of the movie... it wasn't a one off... he made an articulated response.

MinionZombie
03-May-2010, 10:17 AM
Cause some dude made a comment on his thoughts of the movie... it wasn't a one off... he made an articulated response.
No, hellsing resurrected a thread based on someone complaining about spoilers - a months old thread - just to say 'well look at the title, there's gonna be spoilers' - months after the fact. Why was that necessary - why the thread necromancy for that?

krakenslayer
03-May-2010, 10:38 AM
No, hellsing resurrected a thread based on someone complaining about spoilers - a months old thread - just to say 'well look at the title, there's gonna be spoilers' - months after the fact. Why was that necessary - why the thread necromancy for that?

But the thread was revived before Hellsing posted that. Personally, I quite enjoy thread necromancy - it's interesting reading posts and reviving discussions from months or years back; also if the original posters are still around, it creates an interesting new perspective on themselves, reading posts you don't remember writing, giving ourselves a glimpse of ourselves as others see us...

YAY FOR THREAD NECROMANCY! :D

Danny
03-May-2010, 10:44 AM

1: i wasnt the one who brougth it back up.

2: i didnt see how old the thread was commandant.:rolleyes:

-- -------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

But the thread was revived before Hellsing posted that. Personally, I quite enjoy thread necromancy - it's interesting reading posts and reviving discussions from months or years back; also if the original posters are still around, it creates an interesting new perspective on themselves, reading posts you don't remember writing, giving ourselves a glimpse of ourselves as others see us...

YAY FOR THREAD NECROMANCY! :D

i agree, looking back on being positive for something then hating it when it comes out or vice versa is a refreshing reminder of not having to be a close minded git who cant change there opinions ever.

MinionZombie
03-May-2010, 10:56 AM
Well excuse me if VBB is too shit to do the "previous" button properly.

Oh fuck this, I'm too fucked off and shouldn't be posting. :mad:

Trin
03-May-2010, 05:34 PM
There are spoilers in my post. And opinions. And probably inaccuracies. And speculation and rumination and an underlying desire to see the original trilogy recaptured. So be warned.

Romero's movies have always been about the story. I feel as though the script may not have been the best but the story is good.It's arguable whether it was a worthwhile story to tell, but I'd agree he didn't do too bad a job telling it.

With Survival Romero is at it again with social commentary, we are in death what we were on life, so when we die all of our old prejudices stay with us. We are trapped by what we are, hatreds don't die when the person dies, and this is exhibited in its finest in this movie.I'm not sure of the message in Survival, but outside of the last few seconds of the movie (which was stupid) the actual zombies never portrayed any message of old hatred. The humans did, yes. But the zombies, if anything, seemed particularly neutral towards the Muldoon/O'Flynn rivalry. If a zombie was inclined to eat (which way too many were not) they ate whatever - their own, rivals, whatever.

...He brings it all the way to it's culmination with zombies riding horses, delivering mail, chopping wood, driving cars (something mentioned in Day of the Dead), and of course shooting guns. It feels as though this is where Romero intended for his vision to go all along.
I'd have to disagree with the Survival zombies exhibiting intelligence. The mail delivery and wood chopping were pure mimicry with no rationale - no purpose. I don't think that constitues intelligence. Unlike Bub trying to shoot Rhodes or Big Daddy leading the zombies to the Green. Even the horse riding was without purpose.

I agree that it feels like Romero has been building up this aspect of zombie behavior for a long time. Survival, to me, feels like the zombie intelligence evolution fits in best after Day but before Land. I have to wonder if Romero is sticking to some ages old progression for the zombies and is ignoring the fact that the movies skip around in the timeline.

JDFP
03-May-2010, 06:25 PM
I agree that it feels like Romero has been building up this aspect of zombie behavior for a long time. Survival, to me, feels like the zombie intelligence evolution fits in best after Day but before Land. I have to wonder if Romero is sticking to some ages old progression for the zombies and is ignoring the fact that the movies skip around in the timeline.

I agree with this. I've never considered "LAND" to be a natural progression from the original trilogy. It's completely seperate from the original trilogy, IMO, and should not be considered with the original three films except for the fact it has zombies.

I consider "Night" - "Day" to be the original trilogy and for there to be a second trilogy comprised of first "DIARY", then "SURVIVAL", and finally "LAND" as the culmination of this trilogy. I think this is good way of seeing the progression of the ghouls in this new trilogy. This is the order from this point forward if I'm watching them from beginning - end of things that I follow (sorry folks, none of the nouveau Romero flicks shall tarnish my enjoyment of the original trilogy). Another benefit to this (which I accept) is that it makes some of the crazy arguments around here about "Which came first, "DAY" or "LAND"?" obsolete because the answer, which I believe, is neither -- they weren't in the same universe of films.

I think "LAND" works much better as a continuation to the beginning with "DIARY" and the middle with "SURVIVAL" as a follow-up to these two films instead of attempting to rationalize the place of "LAND" in the original trilogy -- I just don't see it working in the original series of films but it fits in perfectly with the progression of the ghouls in the new, far less enjoyable, trilogy. You can see the growth/development of the ghouls from "DIARY' to the culmination of Big Daddy in "LAND" and it fits in perfectly.

j.p.

zombiekiller
09-May-2010, 06:52 PM

watched it a few night ago, didn't care for it that much( too short) but liked the end.( thought it was funny.)