View Full Version : The Uncanny Valley

BillyRay
14-Oct-2009, 07:17 PM
So we were having a discussion at work about things that creep us out.

Somebody didn't like dolls, or clowns. Someone else got the chills from those almost-but-not-quite lifelike robots like they have in Japan. I personally was freaked out by ventriloquist dummies as a kid. (Didn't trust mannequins, either) :confused:

And when we'd bust out the clown zombie puppet at the ZombieConX booth, a lot of folks would give us pretty wide berth. I mean, zombies were fine (that's why we were all there), people thought the puppets wre cool, but Clowns...that was a step too far for some.

It got me thinking about the Uncanny Valley thesis. The idea that something that looks "too" human, but isn't, causes a wave of revulsion in an individual. (Zombies are on the list)

Here's the Wiki article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

And the chart, if'n you don't like reading...

http://ktismatics.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/second-uncanny-valley.jpg

Is there something that creeps the fock out of you on this chart?

How about this, then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m__CJdolrhY

AcesandEights
14-Oct-2009, 07:32 PM
Gonna give the entry a bit better of a look, but this does sound familiar. At first I thought it was because it was a dirty limerick title, but I was wrong, but I've definitely seen this referenced before.

Where's Terran when a discussion like this comes up?

krakenslayer
14-Oct-2009, 07:43 PM
Although I agree with the uncanny valley theory, I think fear of clowns has become very exaggerated and self-fulfilling over the last couple decades. When I was a kid, no one found clowns scary, annoying yes, not scary. Then It came out, a few people developed a phobia and a few that already had it came forward, suddenly clowns entered pop consciousness as something scary. Now kids, who otherwise wouldn't have been bothered by them, are growing up with the social conditioning (from TV, etc.) that clowns are scary and are being made into coulrophobes themselves. It's interesting, it spreads almost like a mass-hysteria, albeit on a slow burn.

AcesandEights
14-Oct-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm starting to think someone^ has a relative in the clown business :D

krakenslayer
14-Oct-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm starting to think someone^ has a relative in the clown business :D

No, not at all! *hides the balloon animal behind his back* :D

Actually, clowns piss me the hell off. I find them incredibly annoying. I think at least some of the "fear" people have of them comes from a childhood apprehension of being singled out to participate in stupid magic tricks at MacDonalds Kids Parties, or being approached in the street by some juggling, street performer twat who assumes that every kid in the world enjoys being squirted in the face with a plastic flower. :p

JDFP
14-Oct-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm going to have to go with my ex-fiancee.

Almost human, but far more terrifying than any human. :)

j.p.

Danny
14-Oct-2009, 08:43 PM
actually i do have a completely irrational deep seated fear of mannequins, to a point. its more of voice in the back of my head thing, i know they arent going to do anything, but if i stand near one im always half sure "it standing there tense, if there was noone else around it would leap and me like a hunter from left 4 dead- this thing wants to kill me.", which of course is bullshit and would never happen, but its like some leftover animal flight of fight instinct, just looking at a mannequin up close i get a shiver down my spine and feel like its watching me.

Completely stupid and irrational, and nly a mild nigling feeling near them, and i dont have a problem going near em at all, but mannequins...*picks nose* they creep me out.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/mqn-9.jpg

AcesandEights
14-Oct-2009, 08:46 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/Whatsinthebox.jpg

BillyRay
14-Oct-2009, 09:14 PM
its more of voice in the back of my head thing, i know they arent going to do anything, but if i stand near one im always half sure "it standing there tense, if there was noone else around it would leap and me like a hunter from left 4 dead- this thing wants to kill me."

Exactly. I'd go through a store with my mum when I was small, watching them for any sign of movement. Waiting for them to slip, just once, so I could warn the world of the mannequin threat. (years befor I ever heard of an Auton)

Related story: The Public Museum in town has had an exhibit showing "What life was like in the 1800's in this very town" for years. It's a dark street, and you peek in windows and look at the frozen tableau from the Long, Long Ago.

In between visits, the Museum decided to open up one of the 'storefronts' to sell penny candy. I was not aware of this when I notice the open door, and someone (a teenage employee in period dress) standing very still behind the counter. I get closer, and he looks up....

Immediate reaction: "MOM! DAD! THE MANNEQUIN JUST MOVED! THE MANNEQUIN JUST MOVED!", much to the amusement of the museum worker, who just started laughing...