PDA

View Full Version : The Pittsburgh curse

jded
19-Oct-2009, 02:28 AM
If all the bashers need another scapegoat for their dissatisfaction, why not blame it on leaving Pittsburgh? Just like the Curse of the Bambino on the Red Sox, maybe theirs something to be said about George leaving Pittsburgh. You think he left his heart there? You think Toronto, Ontario has softened the old guy?

I'm in no way a basher and I doubt I ever will be, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. I have to honestly say that I've noticed a few elements in Land and Diary that you would probably never find in the trilogy. I know, I know, Day was filmed in Florida and Pennsylvania, but even that masterpiece echoed the feel of Pittsburgh much more than the latest installments. :skull::skull::skull:

sandrock74
19-Oct-2009, 05:07 AM
What I noticed was the stairway that leads down to the NHL Hockey Hall-of-Fame in Kaufmans building in Land of the Dead. I've been in that building several times...it sort of took me out of the movie, because I was telling my buddy that I was there before. :lol:

None of the other films had that effect on me. Just sayin'

jded
19-Oct-2009, 05:28 PM
No, what I mean is there's a vibe and a significant atmosphere present in the trilogy that is missing from Land and Diary. That Pittsburgh element is just not there. Almost like the town has a lingering quality that is as much a character as the actors. You cannot recreate the landscape or presence it lends to the films through sets and soundstages or CGI.

AcesandEights
19-Oct-2009, 05:41 PM
I thought both the sets and locations for Land were great.

With regards to Diary, I'd have to re-watch it again to comment on the sets and locales, but I feel they were probably a fairly strong point for the film, you know...considering.

Trin
19-Oct-2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah, for all my Land and Diary gripes, I thought the sets were good. The locations in Land were as good as any in any Dead movie, imho. They would've been really great had there been zombies in them.

Philly_SWAT
19-Oct-2009, 09:56 PM
If all the bashers need another scapegoat for their dissatisfaction, why not blame it on leaving Pittsburgh? Just like the Curse of the Bambino on the Red Sox, maybe theirs something to be said about George leaving Pittsburgh. You think he left his heart there? You think Toronto, Ontario has softened the old guy?

I'm in no way a basher and I doubt I ever will be, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. I have to honestly say that I've noticed a few elements in Land and Diary that you would probably never find in the trilogy. I know, I know, Day was filmed in Florida and Pennsylvania, but even that masterpiece echoed the feel of Pittsburgh much more than the latest installments. :skull::skull::skull:
Not sure I 100% understand the question here. General opinion seems to hold the original trilogy in higher regard than the subsequent films...although as more time passes, perhaps the newer ones will gain greater appreciation. Perhaps moving to Toronto has had some effect on GAR's writing, directing, etc., but any big move in life would effect any of us, as would getting older.

You say that
"That Pittsburgh element is just not there. Almost like the town has a lingering quality that is as much a character as the actors. You cannot recreate the landscape or presence it lends to the films through sets and soundstages or CGI."
As far as Pittsburgh goes, I have visited there twice and I love the city. I have given serious thought to moving there in the past (and I still might, who knows?). I think it is a beautiful city with a lot of character, and a lot of cool stuff to do. However, Pittsburgh itself has not really been a "character" in any of the original trilogy. In fact, the only movie where it was kind of a character was in Land.

Night was filmed primarily in and around Evans City. Only the basement scenes were filmed in GAR's Pittsburgh office, which doesnt give any Pitt "flavor" to the film. Again in Dawn, most was filmed in Monroeville. A few of the scenes were filmed in Pitt, but not many recognizable Pitt. shots. You can see the US Steel building when the chopper takes off from the docks, but they were supposed to be in Philly at the time. As far Day, most of it was filmed in Wampum, PA. The very beginning and end were filmed in Ft Myers/Sanibel Island, and some in Manor (missle site), but the rest was underground in Wampum. No Pitt flavor there. But in Land, even though it wasnt filmed in Pitt, GAR went out of his way to make it APPEAR to be in Pitt....even having the very recognizable Pitt downtown map on the computer screens in the Dead Reckoning.

I agree that there is something ....."different" (better?) about the original trilogy, but I think that maybe it may have nothing to do with anything, other than pointing out how difficult it is to capture lightening in a bottle to begin with.

jded
19-Oct-2009, 11:28 PM
Not sure I 100% understand the question here.

I guess I should have been more specific. I should have referred to living in Pennsylvania as a whole. No matter where George lived in Pennsylvania, it's bound to have become a part of him and shown through in the first three. Am I right? I do not feel the same presence in Land and Diary.

You may love the city but do you really believe Pittsburgh and other locals can be manufactured without losing something? I just enjoyed what came through because the locations from the trilogy oozed with what George lived with for much of his life. His surroundings at that time influenced the films.

Rancid Carcass
20-Oct-2009, 01:29 AM
I'm sure I've read somewhere that he was living in Florida when he made DAY, not sure what the 'vibe radius' of Pittsburgh is, would stretch that far? I couldn't say, maybe one of our American friends might know... :lol:

bassman
20-Oct-2009, 11:02 AM
As pointed out before.....Day is very much a film set in Florida.:confused: